• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 24,729 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

MOBILE, Ala. — As NFL teams begin mapping out their offseasons, most are assuming Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez will be cut and become a free agent … and some are excited about it.

One coach of a quarterback-needy team said his team already has discussed Sanchez internally as an option to be its starting quarterback in 2014.

“We’d take Sanchez,” the coach said. “He’d be the starter as soon as he walked in the door for us.”

That quote may be surprising to Jets fans, who saw Sanchez turn the ball over 52 times between 2011 and 2012 before missing last season with a torn labrum in his right shoulder. But it’s hard to find quarterbacks in the NFL, Sanchez is just 27, has won four playoff games and threw 26 touchdown passes in 2011. Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back.

The Jets are being tight-lipped when it comes to their plans for Sanchez, who has three years left on his contract. But he has a $13.1 million salary-cap figure for 2014 and the Jets would save $8.3 million against the cap by releasing him.

Those figures plus the Jets turning to Geno Smith last season have made many around the league expect Sanchez to hit the open market.

“I don’t think there’s any reason to think that the team would keep him,” said a team executive, who said when he evaluated rosters, he marked Sanchez down as a salary-cap casualty.

The quarterback market in free agency is very thin this year. Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Josh Freeman, Shaun Hill and Chad Henne are the top quarterbacks scheduled to hit free agency. Matt Schaub also is expected to be released by the Texans and join that group. Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr could all be quarterbacks taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.

The large number of teams that need a starting or backup quarterback, plus the limited options, will make Sanchez an attractive option to somebody.
“Supply and demand,” the executive said when asked why Sanchez will draw attention if he hits free agency.

Sanchez is currently rehabilitating his right shoulder in Birmingham, Ala. He had surgery in October on the shoulder after injuring it in an August preseason game. The No. 5 overall pick by the Jets in 2009 could be in his final weeks with the team. He is owed a $2 million roster bonus in March. If the Jets release him, it likely will come in February.

Jets general manager John Idzik was noncommittal when asked about Sanchez at his season-ending press conference.

“We’ll get to that in time,” he said last month. “He is a Jet. We consider all our guys Jets until we make a decision or something happens that changes that. So with Mark, I met with him yesterday as well, our focus is to get him healthy, just as it has been really the entire season and then we’ll take it from there.”

Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#2 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 24,729 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

http://nypost.com/20...ide-to-cut-him/
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#3 Matt39

Matt39

damn you're smooth

• Members
  • 20,433 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

patrice.png

This will be good.

#4 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

Good night and GFY

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I hope they're on our schedule.

#5 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 24,600 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

That coach is one of a losing team-I rest my case

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#6 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Oakland?

Cleveland?  Probably not...dont think Lombardi would make such a claim.

Jax?  He's not better than Henne and they're all about an open competition, so doubt Caldwell would say that.

Houston?  maybe

Min?  Not better than Cassell

St. Louis?  Maybe with the Schotty connnection

Posted Image

#7 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,316 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

That narrows it down to two teams.

#8 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

I bet it was Rex Ryan.

#9 FloridaJetsFan

FloridaJetsFan

Hail Caesar

• Members
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

They were quoting Rex ...

#10 FloridaJetsFan

FloridaJetsFan

Hail Caesar

• Members
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

I bet it was Rex Ryan.

Beat me to it! Great minds and all that ...

#11 Pac

Pac

ayyyyy

• Members
  • 13,737 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

"Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back."

is there an echo in here?

#12 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 24,600 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

hah hah - check that coach for number 6 tatoo

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#13 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 44,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Really?  St. Louis is fully invested in Sam Bradford.  Not a possibility whatsoever that this came from them. 

Minnesota and Oakland are the top 2 possibilities.  Houston a dark horse candidate.  It's too early to tell but it doesn't seem they're too enthused to have the # 1 pick OR seem like they're sold on Bridgewater or any of the other QB's at that spot.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 22 January 2014 - 10:58 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#14 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 44,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

"Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back."

He sucked even when the offense around him was good.  Enough with this.  If he'd been some stud his first two years here you'd have a case.  But he wasn't.  He was always a bottom 5 guy statistically and never passed the eye test.

All this article proves is that there are a lot of morons in the NFL who think they can mold some reclamation project into gold.  The same team(s) that is/are saying this are the laughingstock of the league, and for good reason.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 22 January 2014 - 11:00 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#15 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Really?  St. Louis is fully invested in Sam Bradford.  Not a possibility whatsoever that this came from them. 

Minnesota and Oakland are the top 2 possibilities.  Houston a dark horse candidate.  It's too early to tell but it doesn't seem they're too enthused to have the # 1 pick OR seem like they're sold on Bridgewater or any of the other QB's at that spot.

No possiblity?  Fully invested?  In an eggshell?  Doubt it.  Might not be them as I doubt they hand Sanchez the starting job but I wouldnt be surprised if the idea of moving on from Bradford has been kicked around plenty of times.  He's a pussy.  Nobody wants a pussy QB.

Posted Image

#16 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 44,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

No possiblity?  Fully invested?  In an eggshell?  Doubt it.  Might not be them as I doubt they hand Sanchez the starting job but I wouldnt be surprised if the idea of moving on from Bradford has been kicked around plenty of times.  He's a pussy.  Nobody wants a pussy QB.

They're paying him entirely too much money not to start him.  Remember, he was a # 1 pick under the OLD contract structure that paid him a King's ransom. 

Moreover, he's signed thru 2015 and they had been talking about a contract extension before AND after the injury.  Bradford is their guy, even if he is only the 3rd best QB in the division.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 22 January 2014 - 11:04 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#17 The Crusher

The Crusher

Woof

• Moderators
  • 27,820 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Oakland?

Cleveland?  Probably not...dont think Lombardi would make such a claim.

Jax?  He's not better than Henne and they're all about an open competition, so doubt Caldwell would say that.

Houston?  maybe

Min?  Not better than Cassell

If you like to rubberneck car and train wrecks this is the reunion to cross your fingers for. 

unclerico.gif

#18 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Really?  St. Louis is fully invested in Sam Bradford.  Not a possibility  

all Sanchez stuff aside, STL can't really be wedded to Bradford. He's always injured and Jeff FIsher didn't draft him. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#19 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 44,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

If you like to rubberneck car and train wrecks this is the reunion to cross your fingers for. 

Rams cut Bradford, sign Sanchez to start with Clemens as his backup, in Schotty's system.  Perfect.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#20 The Crusher

The Crusher

Woof

• Moderators
  • 27,820 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Brandon Moore's ass resents this comment.

unclerico.gif

#21 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 44,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

all Sanchez stuff aside, STL can't really be wedded to Bradford. He's always injured and Jeff FIsher didn't draft him. 

They kind of have no other choice.  They're not drafting a QB at 2.  Not to mention Bradford had 14 TD's and only 4 INT's and 6.8 YPA before he got hurt.  He's not great but with the desolate QB market out there they're not moving on from him anytime soon. 

The Rams played very well down the stretch and if Bradford had been there maybe they make a playoff push.  They've surrounded him with some nice talent in the wake of the RGIII deal.  Robert Quinn may win Defensive Player of the Year.  Zac Stacy looks like a stud.  They may get Clowney and/or trade down from 2 to get a topflight WR.  They also have the 13th pick.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 22 January 2014 - 11:20 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#22 The Crusher

The Crusher

Woof

• Moderators
  • 27,820 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Rams cut Bradford, sign Sanchez to start with Clemens as his backup, in Schotty's system.  Perfect.

We should swap them out. Let Bradford back up  Geno. 

unclerico.gif

#23 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

They're paying him entirely too much money not to start him.  Remember, he was a # 1 pick under the OLD contract structure that paid him a King's ransom. 

Moreover, he's signed thru 2015 and they had been talking about a contract extension before AND after the injury.  Bradford is their guy, even if he is only the 3rd best QB in the division.

None of that matters...if you cant finish a season, you're worthless.  The Rams are well aware. 

Posted Image

#24 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,522 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

agree, thats his most likely landing spot...

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#25 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 44,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

None of that matters...if you cant finish a season, you're worthless.  The Rams are well aware. 

Aware of what?  What are they going to do, cut him because he suffered a freak ACL tear that could happen to anyone?  He didn't miss a single game in 2010 or 2012, mind you. 

If he was still having shoulder issues from college that would make some sense, but he's not.  He had a high ankle sprain in '11 and the ACL tear this year.  His arm is fine.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 22 January 2014 - 11:26 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users