"[Sanchez] would be the starter for us as soon as he walked in the door"

T0mShane

Id get a good laugh if Los Yets returned and brought him back on the cheap. Hes not Jimmy Humble**** but its not like I'm dying to bring Chad Henne or some other schlub in. Ill miss the comedy antics of Sanchez when hes gone. Im not sure ive laughed since his 2012 season, certainly not so hard.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pops head up over snow fort..."Hey you guys!"

Jetnation turns with a sneer..."what do you want?"

Sirlance..."Mark Sanchez is still the best Quarterback on our current roster!"

Jetnation..."Die you hippie scum!"

Snowballs.  Iceballs.  And at least three rocks.

Sirlance..."you guys are dix."

Mark Sanchez's 2014 cap number: $13.1M. 

Geno and Matt Simms 2014 cap number (combined):  $1.6M.

Welcome to the NFL, where most (if not all) coaches and GMs are so impressed with themselves that they think they can turn around any player, no matter how awful.  Combine that with how horrible QB play is for a large number of teams these days and I have absolutely no doubt that Sanchez can find himself competing for a starting job next preseason.  None of that changes that he's absolute garbage and will continue to be, no matter how much anyone thinks they can magically change him.

Forget for a moment all of the other arguments we've gone in circles on, the truth is I cannot honestly think of another starting QB who has had worse ball placement than Sanchez.  The guy cannot even properly hit his WRs in stride on slant routes, and that crap isn't going to change 6 years into his NFL career.  That reality will continue to keep his completion percentage down, his turnover rate up, and limit the ability of his receivers to make plays after the catch.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Bingo.

Welcome to the NFL, where most (if not all) coaches and GMs are so impressed with themselves that they think they can turn around any player, no matter how awful.  Combine that with how horrible QB play is for a large number of teams these days and I have absolutely no doubt that Sanchez can find himself competing for a starting job next preseason.  None of that changes that he's absolute garbage and will continue to be, no matter how much anyone thinks they can magically change him.

Forget for a moment all of the other arguments we've gone in circles on, the truth is I cannot honestly think of another starting QB who has had worse ball placement than Sanchez.  The guy cannot even properly hit his WRs in stride on slant routes, and that crap isn't going to change 6 years into his NFL career.  That reality will continue to keep his completion percentage down, his turnover rate up, and limit the ability of his receivers to make plays after the catch.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LL8FHwqDTs

Oh look, he has highlights!  You'll have to excuse me if that doesn't completely change my outlook on a player.  After all, I'm not trying to argue the guy has never had a single good play or even game to his career, but they're the exception rather than the rule.  The fact that some of these plays qualify as "highlights" for Sanchez when they'd be considered standard practice for a quality QB is pretty telling.  Besides, while there are certainly some very nice plays in there (that Houston drive certainly had me impressed at the time), others actually feature pretty mediocre throws which are really highlights of the WRs as opposed to him.  Some are even from games that Sanchez was a primary reason for the Jets losing; I mean come on, it's pretty sad when someone is desperate enough to go the tape of the Steelers AFC champ game to try to find Sanchez highlights.

You also have to love the hilarious irony that the first video that comes up on the right side when you click on this link is a video of his worst plays in 2012, which is approx 50% longer than the highlights of his career.

He may not better than Henne but he's really not worse than Henne, same can be said of Cassell. Lombardi never liked him so Cleveland is probably out but you're kidding yourself if you think Sanchez doesn't get at least three phone calls the second he gets cut. 

Just based on what else will be out there... he's no worse the second best option. And to be clear, that doesn't mean I think all that highly of Sanchez. That means I think that little of Michael Vick, Chad Henne, John Freeman, Shaun Hill and Josh McCown. 

Is he really a guarantee to start over Hoyer in Cleveland?  Not so sure.

Oh look, he has highlights! You'll have to excuse me if that doesn't completely change my outlook on a player. After all, I'm not trying to argue the guy has never had a single good play or even game to his career, but they're the exception rather than the rule. The fact that some of these plays qualify as "highlights" for Sanchez when they'd be considered standard practice for a quality QB is pretty telling. Besides, while there are certainly some very nice plays in there (that Houston drive certainly had me impressed at the time), others actually feature pretty mediocre throws which are really highlights of the WRs as opposed to him. Some are even from games that Sanchez was a primary reason for the Jets losing; I mean come on, it's pretty sad when someone is desperate enough to go the tape of the Steelers AFC champ game to try to find Sanchez highlights.

You also have to love the hilarious irony that the first video that comes up on the right side when you click on this link is a video of his worst plays in 2012, which is approx 50% longer than the highlights of his career.

Didn't the Jets bring in Jamarcus Russell for a tryout? You're right. Coaches always think they can fix someone else's garbage.

Ok now, look, if Sanchez went to KC or San Fran and worked with those coaches, with that talent around him, and he was eventually forced into duty, I think he'd do well.

The key phrase their is "THINK he'd do well" as opposed to just about any other QB wehere we would be quite sure they would do well. Always, a caveat with "buttfumble" right?

Oh look, he has highlights!  You'll have to excuse me if that doesn't completely change my outlook on a player.  After all, I'm not trying to argue the guy has never had a single good play or even game to his career, but they're the exception rather than the rule.  The fact that some of these plays qualify as "highlights" for Sanchez when they'd be considered standard practice for a quality QB is pretty telling.  Besides, while there are certainly some very nice plays in there (that Houston drive certainly had me impressed at the time), others actually feature pretty mediocre throws which are really highlights of the WRs as opposed to him.  Some are even from games that Sanchez was a primary reason for the Jets losing; I mean come on, it's pretty sad when someone is desperate enough to go the tape of the Steelers AFC champ game to try to find Sanchez highlights.

Highlights of Sanchez is an oxymoron.

The key phrase their is "THINK he'd do well" as opposed to just about any other QB wehere we would be quite sure they would do well. Always, a caveat with "buttfumble" right?

Sanchez has many issues, but the two big ones are maturity and processing delay. I think if he got away from Frat House Rex and the Funky Bunch and got into a program where players were held accountable, he'd grow up a bit. As for the delay issue, I think Harbaugh and Reid would be able to coach around it somewhat.

Sanchez has many issues, but the two big ones are maturity and processing delay. I think if he got away from Frat House Rex and the Funky Bunch and got into a program where players were held accountable, he'd grow up a bit. As for the delay issue, I think Harbaugh and Reid would be able to coach around it somewhat.

"Frat House Rex and the Funky Bunch" That is frigging classic.

Cheers to you my friend.

Sanchez will go to the Patriots, but unlike Tebow, he'd make the team.    And Sanchez would be a backup for the next who knows how many years.     As much as Sanchez stinks,  he was better than Geno in preseason.  He just got injured.  

Nobody would ever care either.       Except if Brady retires in a few  years, BB sticks around, Sanchez takes over, and the Patriots win the AFC east again.  That would be depressing, but being a Jets fan, it wouldn't be surprising.

You're kind of glossing over the embarrassing inaccuracy.  Can't just say "Reid" and think that fixes suck. See:  Feely, A.J.

Also, it's conveniently overlooked that Alex Smith was better than Sanchez, with that 82-ish QB rating, before Harbaugh got there.  There is no evidence that Harbaugh can teach a slow person to think fast and process what he's seeing in a split-second, to the point where he instinctively knows to throw it, throw it away, or look elsewhere immediately.  Sanchez is too dumb.

Sanchez is just a worse talent no matter how much you hate Ryan.  But of course your declaration above is a convenient claim, since neither Reid nor Harbaugh would never of naming Mark Sanchez starter on their football teams.  So you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of proof.  

Why is it so hard for people to accept that he is just a bust of a draft pick? 

You're kind of glossing over the embarrassing inaccuracy. Can't just say "Reid" and think that fixes suck. See: Feely, A.J.

Also, it's conveniently overlooked that Alex Smith was better than Sanchez, with that 82-ish QB rating, before Harbaugh got there. There is no evidence that Harbaugh can teach a slow person to think fast and process what he's seeing in a split-second, to the point where he instinctively knows to throw it, throw it away, or look elsewhere immediately. Sanchez is too dumb.

Sanchez is just a worse talent no matter how much you hate Ryan. But of course your declaration above is a convenient claim, since neither Reid nor Harbaugh would never of naming Mark Sanchez starter on their football teams. So you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of proof.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that he is just a bust of a draft pick?

The things you think I think are astonishing. Sanchez, pre-draft, was praised for having great accuracy. He has the tools to play QB, unfortunately his brain is silly putty. If you want to say that Rex and Co. did a good job developing Sanchez, you're welcome to do so.

The things you think I think are astonishing. Sanchez, pre-draft, was praised for having great accuracy. He has the tools to play QB, unfortunately his brain is silly putty. If you want to say that Rex and Co. did a good job developing Sanchez, you're welcome to do so.

I don't care what he was praised for.  I saw enough clips and highlights of his best plays at USC and his accuracy was not good.  He was underthrowing guys by a yard or two, but they had 3+ yard leads on the DB.  At USC that's a TD.  In the NFL it's an interception.

I'm not saying anyone did a good or bad job with Sanchez since it's my opinion he was un-developable.  He's too stupid and has lousy instincts.  He may break down film great when there's no action, and may make some good throws when there's little pressure and he gets to follow his primary read, but that's not to impressive as there are plenty of guys who can do that.  He was a high draft pick so he'll get chances for a while, but he'll never be anything.  He was a bad draft pick.

Reminds me of JonEFool predicting that Victor Hobson would be a pro bowler for NE.  Ditto others who would show us what a mistake it was to let them go while they were still young or performing.  Chris Baker.  Shaun Ellis.  Laveranues Coles.  Braylon Edwards.  Donald Strickland.  Erik Coleman.  

The only one in recent years was Woodhead, but unlike Sanchez it's not like we saw him play year after year here before he was scooped up by NE (and now SD).  Before that was almost a decade ago when we let Goodwin go to New Orleans, but again it's not like we (at least as fans) got a really good look at him.

Archived