207 replies to this topic

#126 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,820 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

It will be interesting to see what Idzik does with the QB position this offseason.  I'm actually curious to see if he is going to bet the season on Geno or if he's going to bring in one fail-safe veteran (McCown, Schaub, etc.), or if he's going to bring in a veteran AND take a QB in the first few rounds of the draft.

Very interesting, just as the reactions around here will be.

The vets out there are terrible. It's not hard to make a case that Sanchez (at a significantly reduced rate) is their best veteran option. Young, has won some (playoff) games, knows the system. I'm not advocating it -at all- but I can see the argument.

The draft will also be interesting. Jets have a lot of picks, but they're not currently in position for one of the top QBs this year, and (maybe) outside of Bridgewater, they all have question marks of their own. Do they spend a second or third rounder on an even more questionable QB? Or do they go with a safer pick at another one of their many needs? Any QB taken in the first four rounds will be a story around here, and a perceived threat to win the starting job.

And the thing is, the Jets need a QB (or two) who is a threat to win the starting job. I'm sure Idzik hopes that Geno is the answer. That he'll at least be a competent starter. With so little out there in terms of potential replacements, it'll be very interesting to see how he addresses it.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#127 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 45,723 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

And the thing is, the Jets need a QB (or two) who is a threat to win the starting job. I'm sure Idzik hopes that Geno is the answer. That he'll at least be a competent starter. With so little out there in terms of potential replacements, it'll be very interesting to see how he addresses it.

The way the FA QB market is looking and where we sit in the draft, it's getting harder and harder to imagine that Geno isn't our Week 1 starter in 2015.  And maybe that's not the worst thing.  We'll need our rookie QB (if we get one) to sit and learn, and if we're starting a Chad Henne or Josh McCown in Week 1 it likely means our season is sunk. 

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#128 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I want Vince Young

#129 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,112 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

I want Vince Young

He is tied up in bankruptcy court

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#130 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

The way the FA QB market is looking and where we sit in the draft, it's getting harder and harder to imagine that Geno isn't our Week 1 starter in 2015.  And maybe that's not the worst thing.  We'll need our rookie QB (if we get one) to sit and learn, and if we're starting a Chad Henne or Josh McCown in Week 1 it likely means our season is sunk.

A case could be made to say the same if Geno is the starter, unless he takes huge leaps forward.

#131 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 45,723 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

A case could be made to say the same if Geno is the starter, unless he takes huge leaps forward.

This is a stupid argument.  He has 100X better chance of taking leaps forward than some mediocre veteran starter.  So you're pretty much wrong there.  You can't say our season is sunk Week 1 with Geno under center.  People thought our season was sunk LAST year with him as our Week 1 starter, then we went 5-4 heading into the bye.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#132 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Rex's biggest game of his career and the QB wasnt the problem. Stopping Rashard Mendenhall was.

#133 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

This is a stupid argument.  He has 100X better chance of taking leaps forward than some mediocre veteran starter.  So you're pretty much wrong there.  You can't say our season is sunk Week 1 with Geno under center.  People thought our season was sunk LAST year with him as our Week 1 starter, then we went 5-4 heading into the bye.

No. It's not. I didn't say either of those guys would be more viable options, at all. I'm just saying next season will be sunk, just like this one was, if Geno doesn't get any better. I hope he does, but I don't see it happening. Weapons or not.

And being 5-4 heading into a bye and then getting crushed in Buffalo is not really the way you want to defend your argument considering two of those wins were gifted.

#134 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

No. It's not. I didn't say either of those guys would be more viable options, at all. I'm just saying next season will be sunk, just like this one was, if Geno doesn't get any better. I hope he does, but I don't see it happening. Weapons or not.

And being 5-4 heading into a bye and then getting crushed in Buffalo is not really the way you want to defend your argument considering two of those wins were gifted.

Your absolutely right. This was the problem with Sanchez. He never progressed, and in fact regressed as the team lost faith and he lost faith in himself. Many people will obviously believe that Geno will Progress, and we all hope that is the case if he is our starter, but their is ample proof out there (especially) on this team, that some if not many QB's do not progress, and when you are the lowest rated QB in the league, you better progress a great deal, otherwise you will still be near the bottom of the NFL QB's even with a 5 or 10 point progression. Geno is following the Sanchez footprint so far to a tee, and that is a scary thought going forward. 

Posted Image

#135 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Your absolutely right. This was the problem with Sanchez. He never progressed, and in fact regressed as the team lost faith and he lost faith in himself. Many people will obviously believe that Geno will Progress, and we all hope that is the case if he is our starter, but their is ample proof out there (especially) on this team, that some if not many QB's do not progress, and when you are the lowest rated QB in the league, you better progress a great deal, otherwise you will still be near the bottom of the NFL QB's even with a 5 or 10 point progression. Geno is following the Sanchez footprint so far to a tee, and that is a scary thought going forward. 

Don't get me wrong, I held out hope for Sanchez after the first two seasons and I hold out hold for Geno, but it's basically giving me flashbacks. I just hope they don't hold on to Geno too long like they did Mark. Geno's contract is easily cuttable if that time came and the Jets need to bring in better QBs than Simms and Garrard. Period.

#136 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Don't get me wrong, I held out hope for Sanchez after the first two seasons and I hold out hold for Geno, but it's basically giving me flashbacks. I just hope they don't hold on to Geno too long like they did Mark. Geno's contract is easily cuttable if that time came and the Jets need to bring in better QBs than Simms and Garrard. Period.

Look, what they really need to do is bring in viable candidates that compete with Geno. If Geno is the opening day starter, fine, but with viable replacements, at least when Geno starts to do his Sanchez imitations again, then at least you can short leash the guy and get him the hell out of there before he totally destroys our season. Of course the one caveat with this is our COACH, who tends to stand on the sidelines looking clueless when our QB is posting 12's TQBR's and 50 regular QBR's.

It took just about, the worst play in NFL history , and some of the all-time worst QB play for an exteneded period of time, to get our Coach to finally make a change at QB, after which the season had been completely destroyed.

Geno may be a problem, but the real problem is our coach acting dumbfounded, when his offense resembles a bad news bears rerun.

Posted Image

#137 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

Future Internet Broadcasting Hall of Fame Inductee

• Members
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Or you can not take his season in one lump chunk and see that he actually progressed toward the end of the season. You can also look at his numbers with and without the one receiver he could count on to get open on a consistent basis and use that as a base for some positivity. Not blind enthusiasm, but at least a shred of optimism.

Edited by Gastineau Lives, 23 January 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#138 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

Future Internet Broadcasting Hall of Fame Inductee

• Members
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

"Sanchez is our QB the moment he walks in the door. Fortunately, we have armed security guards, laser alarm systems and German Shepherds. Let him try."

Edited by Gastineau Lives, 23 January 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#139 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Sanchez sucks. Never said he didn't. What I did say is that Rex is a big reason why. When your HC is actually a glorified DC and you go through three OCs in five years...it means you haven't given your offense the attention it needs. Nice having a top five defense every year. But at what expense?

Don't get me wrong, Rex has plenty of faults of his own, but I just think blaming him for the immense sucktitude of Sanchez is a complete cop out.  It's not his fault that the guy can't read a defense to save his life or even hit a freakin' WR in stride the vast majority of the time.  These are basic concepts for a QB that need to be established long before they get to the NFL.  That these realities weren't apparent to the Jets before they drafted him is another discussion, but that still doesn't make them Rex's fault.

That's not to say Sanchez couldn't have done better with an offense full of All-Pros surrounding him, but in the end it still wouldn't have changed the fact that he's not a particularly good QB.  After all, there's a reason why despite all of the faults of the other Jets' offensive players, the team never saw any significant difference in production when those same teams had any one of Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, or Greg McElroy under center, who went a combined 3-1 when replacing Sanchez.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#140 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 45,723 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

There's a difference between a season being sunk Week 1 regardless and a season MAYBE being sunk IF the quarterback doesn't improve.  With one of these terrible veteran FA QB's on the market starting for us Week 1, the season is over before it begins.  With Geno, there is hope.  That's the difference there.

By all means, we need to bring in legit competition (for once).  But if Geno or the rookie we draft doesn't win the job in camp that is bad news. 

Edited by Jetsfan80, 23 January 2014 - 10:56 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#141 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Rex's biggest game of his career and the QB wasnt the problem. Stopping Rashard Mendenhall was.

Yeah, all the QB did was hand 7 points to the opposition while producing 0 points through the first 29+ minutes in a 5 point loss, but clearly he wasn't the problem.

#142 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

This sh*t again?  Never in history have their been fans crying so freakin' much over wins before.  It's this kind of nonsense which gives Jets fans such a bad name.  Although the good part about it is there is no better way these days to identify a post as nothing but a completely biased agenda, considering what a load of crap that entire argument is to begin with.

#143 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

based on skill alone sanchez should be the starter here if he is on roster next season

#144 gEYno

gEYno

2013-2014 JN Captain

• Members
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

This sh*t again?  Never in history have their been fans crying so freakin' much over wins before.  It's this kind of nonsense which gives Jets fans such a bad name.  Although the good part about it is there is no better way these days to identify a post as nothing but a completely biased agenda, considering what a load of crap that entire argument is to begin with.

Apparently penalties make for gift wins, but the other team not trying does not.

Posted Image

#145 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

CZARFACE

• Members
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

With Geno, there is hope. That's the difference there.

Hope is a dangerous thing.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#146 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hope is a dangerous thing.

Reference: January 21, 2009

#147 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

based on skill alone sanchez should be the starter here if he is on roster next season

bah!

#148 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Apparently penalties make for gift wins, but the other team not trying does not.

Well of course, that makes perfect sense to me.  Although to be clear, only when penalties go in favor of the Jets are they gifts.  Penalties against the Jets are further evidence of the failures of <insert Jets' player/coach name here>.

#149 Matt39

Matt39

BAP

• Members
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, all the QB did was hand 7 points to the opposition while producing 0 points through the first 29+ minutes in a 5 point loss, but clearly he wasn't the problem.

Hard to score when you don't have the ball for an entire quarter and the punter sh*ts the bed.

That was a field position game. The defense was a joke for the first half.

#150 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Bahhh!  Argument invalid.  Woodhead wasn't the only one.  James Hasty John Abraham Arron Glenn Jericho Cotchery James Farrior...Hell the Fin's beat us with Pennington at the helm when we had Favre...Goodwin works, so does a guy like Joel Dreeson...Now is Sanchez gonna be a Farrior or a Dreeson? Dunno.  Nobody does.  But when the hatred-colored glasses come off, its hard to ignore the fact that the kid has had some success when he had the tools...and that diminished when Holmes, Cotchery and Braylon turned into Kerley Gates and Schilens.  When Damien Woody Alan Faneca and Moore turned into Howard, Slauson and Ducasse and a gimpy Moore, when LaDanian Tomlinson and Tony Richardson turned into....well...nobody.  To say The QB should be successful regardless of his supporting cast is utterly myopic.  Sanchez will never be great.  but he has the tools to be good, or even very good.  Unfortunately the last five first round draft picks taken have been defense.  Unfortunately the offensive line has gone from being top three to bottom sixteen.  His Tight End has gone from an under performing Keller, to an often injured Cumberland.  His running game...See: comments about offensive line.  His protection: Ditto.  There is a reason he was able to pull off come-from-behind-victories one season, then looked like a deer in the headlights the next.  And to be fair to Geno, he had the same sh*t soup on offense.  This is Rex Ryan's Problem and Rex Ryan's fault.  Development of a franchise QB was never a part of his skill-set.  And neither Schotty, nor Sparano nor Morningweg ever had a chance to try to develop the kid themselves.  THIS is why Sanchez is a bad QB.  And this is why Geno is likely to BE a bad QB.  No investment no commitment to the young leader of the team.  Look at what the Falcons did via draft and free agency once they Got Matt Ryan.  Oline, Recievers, etc.  They gave the kid a chance.  We drafted corners and Dlineman.  Lots of them.  Stupid.  What did Ryan expect his offense to become?  What did he think Sanchez or Geno could do with this pile of crap?  This is what happened to the New York Jets.  It wasnt Sanchez...the easy target.  Or Geno...the hapless target.  It was an utter lack of commitment to offensive football.  There's a reason Rex wanted to "ground and pound".  It was to give his Defense all the credit.  because at the end of the day, defense is all that ever matters to him.

I can't even get through this mess, but Schottenheimer did fine with his prior 2 QBs, both pro bowlers.  Also Bradford had noticeable improvement.  Not that I wish for BS to return, but this blame everyone except Sanchez for his own actions and failures is old.

All the things you're mentioning would be enough to hide any bad QB.  If we need all those things, we can get by with someone of Sanchez's backup-level skills for the veteran minimum.

Also as someone else mentioned, you're going back a long way to find just a few players.  Every team has had players they didn't re-sign and weren't awful.  But we haven't had many in recent years and Sanchez won't be either.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users