SB Predictions: I think wind dictates winner

SouthernJet

In all honesty I think this is a game that will be 100% determined by weather. If no wind/low wind day I go with Broncos. If it hits a typical Jan/Feb Meadowlands windy day withe gusts sustained in 20s MPH range I go with Seahawks. 

As of now, they are predicting sustained 19 MPH winds, with higher gusts of 26 MPH. Its early to predict, but thats close to altering Broncos passing game and favoring Seahawks running game..

In all honesty I think this is a game that will be 100% determined by weather. If no wind/low wind day I go with Broncos. If it hits a typical Jan/Feb Meadowlands windy day withe gusts sustained in 20s MPH range I go with Seahawks. 

As of now, they are predicting sustained 19 MPH winds, with higher gusts of 26 MPH. Its early to predict, but thats close to altering Broncos passing game and favoring Seahawks running game..

Broncos have a good running game. Look what Moreno did against the Pats in November. Over 200 yards. Peyton doesn't throw it in the air 40+ yards. He kills you with 10-15 yard slants, 10-14 yard out patterns. Surgical, like Brady.

Broncos have a good running game. Look what Moreno did against the Pats in November. Over 200 yards. Peyton doesn't throw it in the air 40+ yards. He kills you with 10-15 yard slants, 10-14 yard out patterns. Surgical, like Brady.

Denver's running game is mostly Manning being so good. Seattle's dline can play both the run and pass- Peyton can make whatever audible he wants it won't matter.

Peytons going to have to makje throws down the field in order to win. Moreno's year was mostly Peyton imo. I do like Seattle to win.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the #1 offense up against the #1 defense in the Super Bowl. I think in any other year, the Broncos would have a huge advantage, but in the meadowlands in February? I think that favors the ol' ground and pound.

what do I know, but I think Denver run game set up greatly by Peyton being Peyton,,if winds are horrific, Def wont respect that as much and I think Den run game will not 'be as good'

Definitely looking forward to seeing the #1 offense up against the #1 defense in the Super Bowl. I think in any other year, the Broncos would have a huge advantage, but in the meadowlands in February? I think that favors the ol' ground and pound.

agree, especially if bad winds for a seemingly passing oriented team

Peyton's arm looks weak. His throws look wobbly and slow. He wins with anticipation and intelligence more than anything. The wind neutralizes that, to an extent.

I hope I'm wrong.

In all fairness, he's always thrown a wobbly ball. Arm strength looks a bit diminished, deservedly so, but I've yet to really see a deep ball that should have been picked because of blatant lack of arm strength. He either puts it in perfect position or his giant, man-child receivers/tight ends make sure to break it up. On any other occasion I'd like to see Seattle take it, but being a huge Manning fan I'd like to see him win it. Plus, it makes people in Boston miserable, which always cheers up my day.

I read somewhere passer rating differential was the most reliable predictor

Denver passer rating offense = 114

Denver passer rating defense = 84

differential = +30

Seattle passer rating offense = 102

Seattle passer rating defense = 63

differential = +39

looks like the hawks

It's not like the Seahawks are this great road team though.    And they aren't exactly some cold weather team.     They do have the better rushing attack, but the Broncos didn't have a half bad rush defense.  They shut down the Patriots running game entirely.     The Broncos secondary is the weak link in a sense and so if the wind makes Manning struggle,  I'm not sure Wilson is going to fair any better.      He wasn't exactly that impressive in that Saints playoff game where wind and bad weather were a factor.   

It's really an odd game because you have the Broncos with Manning who isn't known as some cold weather bad weather kind of QB.  But you have the Seahawks who are kind of like the Saints in that they are nearly unbeatable at home, but they are an entirely different team on the road.   And it being in NJ in Feb, it's almost like the worse case scenario for both teams.

The Broncos/Chargers game predicted wind - steady 20mph, gusting to 30.

This article talks about how wind will hurt Denver against San Diego's Defense.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1/11/5298014/broncos-chargers-weather-its-going-to-be-windy-for-the-afc-divisional

From the game recap:

"Manning completed 25 of 36 passes for 230 yards."

It isn't 400 yards in the air, but they got a win.

The Broncos/Chargers game predicted wind - steady 20mph, gusting to 30.

This article talks about how wind will hurt Denver against San Diego's Defense.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1/11/5298014/broncos-chargers-weather-its-going-to-be-windy-for-the-afc-divisional

From the game recap:

"Manning completed 25 of 36 passes for 230 yards."

It isn't 400 yards in the air, but they got a win.

True, BUT, the Chargers arent the Seahawks, so vs Seahawks on that day I assume the wind and Mannings less yards would have in fact resulted in a Denver loss 

The Bronco offense can beat you in so many ways that I think Peyton can mitigate the weather effects, whatever they are.  They throw a lot of screens to Demaryius, short patterns to Welker, run the ball, etc.  The Seahawk secondary is great but they can't cover everyone. 

All season long Peyton has had to hear criticism that he can't play in cold weather.  He'll certainly have the ability to dispel that myth. 

Meanwhile, the Broncos had a top 10 run defense, which will help them keep Lynch in check. [insert obligatory Rex-hating 'stopping the run doesn't matter' joke here.]  If the Seahawks have to win behind Russell Wilson's arm they'll be in a fair bit of trouble. 

Dude you're discounting a team that's home field is in the Rocky Mountains. Really?

Dude you're discounting a team that's home field is in the Rocky Mountains. Really?

Their last home game it was 60 degrees. They havent faced a defense like this one all season- Seattle's got so many hybrid defensive linemen that should take away Peyton's presnap shenanigans. Their defense is built to beat teams like the Broncos.

I think it will be close with a Peyton interception costing the Broncos the game,

Personally, I think the score will dictate the winner.

;)

(Joking aside, I agree... this game could very easily be impacted by weather, specifically wind in the Meadowlands. Which is why the league is STUPID for hosting it there.)

Their last home game it was 60 degrees. They havent faced a defense like this one all season- Seattle's got so many hybrid defensive linemen that should take away Peyton's presnap shenanigans. Their defense is built to beat teams like the Broncos.

I think it will be close with a Peyton interception costing the Broncos the game,

The athleticism on Seattle is unreal, I agree.

I've said all along that I thought no matter which NFC team won, they would be whichever AFC team won because they are just much more physical at the point of attack. I want to cheer for Peyton Manning to win another, but I'm not sure I see ti happening. Should be a helluva game though.

Yes dude, they havent had sustained winds in Denver games this year over 20..only 2 games, 17 and 16 this year,,others, 7, 8, 7, 8, 6, 5, 9

The magic # with Vegas on altering a game has always been in 20s sustained, with over 25 being major effect 

Actually only game Peyton had in those winds was at Patriots, with 22 sustained and he lost game and had only 132 yds passing..

BUT, right now its saying 6 MPH SB day with gusts to 15,,,so Broncos WIN!!!!

Yes dude, they havent had sustained winds in Denver games this year over 20..only 2 games, 17 and 16 this year,,others, 7, 8, 7, 8, 6, 5, 9

The magic # with Vegas on altering a game has always been in 20s sustained, with over 25 being major effect 

Actually only game Peyton had in those winds was at Patriots, with 22 sustained and he lost game and had only 132 yds passing..

BUT, right now its saying 6 MPH SB day with gusts to 15,,,so Broncos WIN!!!!

Don't dude me. I'm not the one with Jeff Lebowski for an avatar.

That's more research than I was willing to put in. That's interesting.

The only plays that can confuse Peyton are the one's he's never seen before. I'm sure Seattle will throw some stuff at him that he hasn't seen, but the only way you beat Peyton is by winning your one on one matchups at the line and forcing his throws. If Seattle, like New England, can't get to him, it's game over.  

yep its why you better be able to play D and run the football in January .... Im glad they finally decided on a cold weather venue to host the SB.

Not stupid at all I28 this league caters enough to the offensive side of the ball....Lets see Peyton deal with the elements just like our stellar QB's have throughout the years

GO HAWKS

The only plays that can confuse Peyton are the one's he's never seen before. I'm sure Seattle will throw some stuff at him that he hasn't seen, but the only way you beat Peyton is by winning your one on one matchups at the line and forcing his throws. If Seattle, like New England, can't get to him, it's game over.

Just saying Moreno's season was all off of him getting yards against dlinemen expecting to rush the passer. Seattle's guys do both well.

Seattle can't cover ALL of Peyton's many, healthy weapons.  If Welker or Orange Julius were hurt I'd give the Seahawks a shot at winning.  But otherwise nope.  Denver has a top 10 run D to contain Lynch, and Seattle's passing game can't keep up with Denver if the Broncos score 24+ pts.

Seattle can't cover ALL of Peyton's many, healthy weapons.  If Welker or Orange Julius were hurt I'd give the Seahawks a shot at winning.  But otherwise nope.  Denver has a top 10 run D to contain Lynch, and Seattle's passing game can't keep up with Denver if the Broncos score 24+ pts.

First off no one stops Lynch in the playoffs just asl the 4th ranked Niner run defense. Second the Hawks have the top secondary in the NFL and Peytn wont have the time to go through all his progressions on every play so its going to be difficult since he can't scramble for sh*t. Sherman shuts down receivers and Chancellor and Thomas can handle TE's.

Personally the matchups are not good for the Broncos over all and I think Seattle handles them easily wind or no wind. Remember what our top ranked secondary did to Peyton in 2010 and we didn't even have the pass rushers Seattle has.

If Denver wants to win this game they had better be able to run the football with Moreno to give Peyton some play action

First off no one stops Lynch in the playoffs just asl the 4th ranked Niner run defense. 

I didn't say stop I said CONTAIN.  And the reason they'll be able to do it is the Broncos offense knows how to get a lead.  You don't have to worry about Lynch ripping big gains on a worn-down defense in the 4th quarter when your offense has staked you to a 10 point lead.

Second the Hawks have the top secondary in the NFL and Peytn wont have the time to go through all his progressions on every play so its going to be difficult since he can't scramble for sh*t. Sherman shuts down receivers and Chancellor and Thomas can handle TE's.

Personally the matchups are not good for the Broncos over all and I think Seattle handles them easily wind or no wind. Remember what our top ranked secondary did to Peyton in 2010 and we didn't even have the pass rushers Seattle has.

If Denver wants to win this game they had better be able to run the football with Moreno to give Peyton some play action

They can't cover everyone, as I said.  Sherman will be on Demaryius.  Great.  Who's stopping Welker, Orange Julius, Decker, and Knowshon out of the backfield?  Peyton doesn't need to scramble because he makes presnap reads to protect himself.

Archived