SouthernJet

The next big thing: Jets
January, 22, 2014
JAN 22
12:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Top priorities for the New York Jets over the next few months: 

nyj.gif1. Trim the fat: The Jets are likely to dump three big contracts before the March 11 start to free agency -- wide receiver Santonio Holmes ($10.8 million cap charge), quarterback Mark Sanchez ($13.1 million) and cornerbackAntonio Cromartie ($15 million). By cutting those three players, the Jets would create $26.1 million in additional cap room, putting them more than $40 million over the salary cap. There probably will be interest in re-signing Cromartie for a lesser amount. 

2. Money to burn: After a year of coping with a salary-cap squeeze, John Idzik finally has the flexibility that every general manager covets. Let's see if he uses the money wisely. His philosophy is to build through the draft, but he'd be crazy not to be active in the free-agent market. First, he should re-sign right tackle Austin Howard and kicker Nick Folk, both of whom will be unrestricted free agents. After that, he needs to find a wide receiver, a tight end and a safety. Names on the radar will be Eric DeckerBrandon Pettigrew and Jairus Byrd, respectively. 

3. Draft for offense: The Jets picked a defensive player with their last five first-round picks. That has to change. With the 18th pick, they need to focus on offensive playmakers. Three names to watch: wide receivers Marqise Lee and Mike Evans and tight end Eric Ebron. If one of the Big Three at quarterbacks falls to 18 -- Johnny ManzielBlake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater -- they'd have to think hard about going in that direction.

Decker, Pettigrew and Byrd.

If we landed 1 of these 3, I would be psyched. 

2 of these 3 would be gravy.

First, I love the New pictures at the bottom of your posts. My man JoeWillie, and his trophy. SWEET.

Decker YES

Byrd YES

Pettigrew MAYBE (I'd rather draft Ebron or Amaro)

Pettigrew fits like a glove here. Wont break the bank, is the right age for a FA pickup, fills a need, possibly has more upside...Its one of my favorite potential moves.

OTOH I fully expect that as a non-star in the NFL who survives to FA there is plenty to criticize.

but... but... but... he fell to 18!  He must suck!

the trick is figuring out if he's the next Aaron Rodgers or the next Brady Quinn.   

the truth is nobody knows.    johnny football could be the next joe montana or the next cade mcnown, only time will tell.   

It's like Trading Places with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd - some of the success/failure is nature and some is nurture.   Players like Ryan Leaf and Vernon Gholston were destined to bust regardless of who took them.   Othertimes I think it's a function of environment and which team picks you. 

Would Joe Montana have been Joe Montana without Bill Walsh?    If the Jets drafted Marino over O'Brien would Marino's career have been the same?   Would Tom Brady have been any good without knowing the defensive play calls from the video support?   

The next big thing: Jets
January, 22, 2014
JAN 22
12:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Top priorities for the New York Jets over the next few months: 

nyj.gif1. Trim the fat: The Jets are likely to dump three big contracts before the March 11 start to free agency -- wide receiver Santonio Holmes ($10.8 million cap charge), quarterback Mark Sanchez ($13.1 million) and cornerbackAntonio Cromartie ($15 million). By cutting those three players, the Jets would create $26.1 million in additional cap room, putting them more than $40 million over the salary cap. There probably will be interest in re-signing Cromartie for a lesser amount. 

2. Money to burn: After a year of coping with a salary-cap squeeze, John Idzik finally has the flexibility that every general manager covets. Let's see if he uses the money wisely. His philosophy is to build through the draft, but he'd be crazy not to be active in the free-agent market. First, he should re-sign right tackle Austin Howard and kicker Nick Folk, both of whom will be unrestricted free agents. After that, he needs to find a wide receiver, a tight end and a safety. Names on the radar will be Eric DeckerBrandon Pettigrew and Jairus Byrd, respectively. 

3. Draft for offense: The Jets picked a defensive player with their last five first-round picks. That has to change. With the 18th pick, they need to focus on offensive playmakers. Three names to watch: wide receivers Marqise Lee and Mike Evans and tight end Eric Ebron. If one of the Big Three at quarterbacks falls to 18 -- Johnny ManzielBlake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater -- they'd have to think hard about going in that direction.

Sign me up - go after all 3 and dont trade away picks - use them all to build a team that will last a while.

Cant wait for Geno to shove his rookies year down some throats. I still saw a ton to like - more than I disliked even.

We had a receiving corps held together by chewing gum and baling wire-then got decimated injuries besides.

Give Geno somebody to throw to and make plays and watch his accuracy improve.  Passing accuracy is largely about confidence.

Cant wait for Geno to shove his rookies year down some throats. I still saw a ton to like - more than I disliked even.

I feel the same, but a whole bunch of that stems from finishing strong.  He had that big swoon in midseason that was brutal.  If he had ended the season performing the way he did in the first Dolphins game instead of the second I would feel way worse about him.  Even with identical stats.  

I feel the same, but a whole bunch of that stems from finishing strong. He had that big swoon in midseason that was brutal. If he had ended the season performing the way he did in the first Dolphins game instead of the second I would feel way worse about him. Even with identical stats.

Agreed, the strong finish did it for ne too but I had the faith most of the time anyway.

Brandon Pettigrew drops a ton of balls and is a chronic underachiever. Decent blocker, but we need a guy who can be relied upon to make catches. He can't.

And he has an actual gunslinger tossing it to him. Dude throws for 5000 just about every year. Catching passes 8 feet over your head or 6 feet in the dirt from Geno will take alot of getting used to for Pettigrew.

Agreed, the strong finish did it for ne too but I had the faith most of the time anyway.

I don't get all the geno love I can't remember the last time a qb that has one of the worst qb ratings his first year get as many props as geno ! And now it's all the personal fault. So he had nothing to do with anything it's cause he had no receivers ? When they were 5-4 I didn't hear all this about him not haveing any receivers all I heard is how good geno is . He went 3-4 down the stretch and no it's not him it's the personal . I agree we need a upgrade but. He just wasn't that good . He locks on receivers and overthrows to many. .

I don't get all the geno love I can't remember the last time a qb that has one of the worst qb ratings his first year get as many props as geno ! And now it's all the personal fault. So he had nothing to do with anything it's cause he had no receivers ? When they were 5-4 I didn't hear all this about him not haveing any receivers all I heard is how good geno is . He went 3-4 down the stretch and no it's not him it's the personal . I agree we need a upgrade but. He just wasn't that good . He locks on receivers and overthrows to many. .

The so called "no weapons argument" basically has the effect of granting clemency to GENO, REX and MARTY. Because of the lack of weapons, we can then justify why Geno has such horrific numbers(last in the league), and why Rex and Marty were totally inept at putting together a reasonable NFL offense.

However, we have seen this many times in the NFL when a team "lacks so called weapons" but then brings in a competent QB, with the EXACT same weapons, we find out that the team always had weapons, but not a QB to utilize these weapons.

Can we "upgrade" our weapons? Sure, but if we had a competent QB this year, our weapons would have been fine, and nobody would be using it as the end all excuse for why Geno and this offense are so awful.

Aaron Rodgers fell to the 20's, stranger things have happened.  

Well it gets interesting if he somehow falls past the Vikings at 8.  Granted teams can (and probably will try to) trade up but look at the run from 9-17

9 - Bills: Stay with Manuel

10 - Lions: No chance

11 - Titans: Possible but have bigger needs and probably stay with Locker

12 - Giants: Can't see them going this way no matter how bad Eli was last season

13 - Rams: Biggest threat but word is they are committed to Bradford for now

14 - Bears: Not with Cutler staying

15 - Steelers: No chance

16 - Cowboys - Romo is staying

17 - Ravens - No chance

So granted there are 6 teams that probably should be strongly considering a QB, and possibly 4 QBs that could be drafted high in the first round.  But if Bortles, Carr and Manziel get snapped up first, and three of them go in other directions (e.g. Browns go WR, OAK goes anybody fast, and TB or MIN go OL) then that's how Bridgewater gets down to 10.  From there it's anybody's guess.  Could Carr go ahead of Teddy?  Doubtful but with teams like the Vikings and Raiders drafting up there, who knows.

Having said all that, on the 1% chance he falls, I'd be fine with the Jets taking a shot but I'm not holding my breath and I think we're better off finally building up the skill positions around the QB and going back to the well next year if we need to.

I don't see idzik spending the whole roll in one off season.  I think he will re-sign key, core players, and bring in some quality players.  I think byrd is way out of his price range.  decker maybe because its such a huge need.  pettigre, meh

I feel the same, but a whole bunch of that stems from finishing strong.  He had that big swoon in midseason that was brutal.  If he had ended the season performing the way he did in the first Dolphins game instead of the second I would feel way worse about him.  Even with identical stats.  

im with you guys give this kid some talent and let him have all the reps in practice, we could have something

... And now it's all the personal fault. So he had nothing to do with anything it's cause he had no receivers ?

This is correct.  This receiving corps was a motley group reminiscent of an expansion team in the years before free agency allowed quality players to change teams.  Then it got hurt and even worse players took their place.

No. 1    Holmes.  Never fully back from Lisfranc injury, questionable attitude.

No. 2    Hill.   Little output rookie year, was hoping for development.  Nice first 3 games, then El Tanko.

No. 3  Kerley  Very nice little player, not a number 1 and maybe not really a number 2

After that we get Clyde Gates who couldn't catch until his last game, when he achieved functionality only to immediately sustain a season ending injury. Then a call to Manpower yielded the subs, one of whom, David Nelson, began to show some life given time to get used to the offense.

TE   Kellen Winslow did all right when he wasn't serving a suspension.  Jeff Cumberland began to come around until he too got injured.

Rookie QB's need help, people to consistently make good plays for them to keep them from going off track.  Anybody who says this crew fits that bill just isn't being honest.

I look forward to seeing Geno next year throwing to people he can have confidence in and watching those people respond.  Unlike baseball, where you can just plug people into their position and let them play, a football team is a cohesive unit that must grow together beginning in training camp.

Well it gets interesting if he somehow falls past the Vikings at 8.  Granted teams can (and probably will try to) trade up but look at the run from 9-17

9 - Bills: Stay with Manuel

10 - Lions: No chance

11 - Titans: Possible but have bigger needs and probably stay with Locker

12 - Giants: Can't see them going this way no matter how bad Eli was last season

13 - Rams: Biggest threat but word is they are committed to Bradford for now

14 - Bears: Not with Cutler staying

15 - Steelers: No chance

16 - Cowboys - Romo is staying

17 - Ravens - No chance

So granted there are 6 teams that probably should be strongly considering a QB, and possibly 4 QBs that could be drafted high in the first round.  But if Bortles, Carr and Manziel get snapped up first, and three of them go in other directions (e.g. Browns go WR, OAK goes anybody fast, and TB or MIN go OL) then that's how Bridgewater gets down to 10.  From there it's anybody's guess.  Could Carr go ahead of Teddy?  Doubtful but with teams like the Vikings and Raiders drafting up there, who knows.

Having said all that, on the 1% chance he falls, I'd be fine with the Jets taking a shot but I'm not holding my breath and I think we're better off finally building up the skill positions around the QB and going back to the well next year if we need to.

If he does get past #8 and the Vikings, then the team trading up should be the JETS. It wouldnt take much to get to 9 or 10, and then we would be guaranteed of getting him if he is dropping, and not have to worry that he makes it all the way to #18.

Holmes ($10.8 million cap charge), quarterback Mark Sanchez ($13.1 million) and cornerback Antonio Cromartie ($15 million). By cutting those three players, the Jets would create $26.1 million in additional cap room, putting them more than $40 million over the salary cap. There probably will be interest in re-signing Cromartie for a lesser amount. 

?  Is  this a typo?  or is it good to be 40 million over the cap?

Archived