LSU's Thomas McGaughney top candidate for Special Teams job

Sully80

LSU special teams coach Thomas McGaughey has emerged as a top candidate for the New York Jets' special teams vacancy, coachingsearch.com reported Saturday night.

The Jets are looking for a coordinator to replace Ben Kotwica, who left for the same position with the Washington Redskins. McGaughey has NFL experience. In fact, he was the New York Giants' assistant coordinator from 2007 to 2010 before leaving for LSU. Previously, he was an assistant with the Kansas City Chiefs and Denver Broncos.

LSU has been known for its explosive special teams, led by returners Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu.

Reading his LSU bio page made me think this guy is pretty serious bidness. Also helped out coaching LSUs D. Young coach...I like Westhoff but even when I didn't know anything about this guy the idea of some young blood on the coaching staff intrigued me. Leaning towards loving the interest and even rooting for the hire.

Would be fun to see Westhoff back.  He was the best until he got sick, and now he seems recovered and ready to go.

I would be okay with him coming back but the Special Teams were terrible in his last year here.  That is a pretty big concern.  Ideally they would move in another direction.  Rex will be here long term, time to build a long term coaching staff.  :)

It's true special teams were lousy his last year but I think he had still not fully recovered from his condition.  Nowadays he's up and full of energy, by all accounts.  On principle you would think you would go with the latest hot hand, but when Westhoff got sick they went with the guy from the Bears whose special teams had performed so well, and things were not good.  They brought Westhoff back as an "advisor" at first, then demoted the Bears guy to "assistant", then got rid of him in a few weeks.

Westhoff has a long history of excellent special teams, if he wants it, (and he has hinted in that direction), then I would be inclined to bring him back for a few years until he decides to retire on his own-which might be four or five years.

It's true special teams were lousy his last year but I think he had still not fully recovered from his condition.  Nowadays he's up and full of energy, by all accounts.  On principle you would think you would go with the latest hot hand, but when Westhoff got sick they went with the guy from the Bears whose special teams had performed so well, and things were not good.  They brought Westhoff back as an "advisor" at first, then demoted the Bears guy to "assistant", then got rid of him in a few weeks.

Westhoff has a long history of excellent special teams, if he wants it, (and he has hinted in that direction), then I would be inclined to bring him back for a few years until he decides to retire on his own-which might be four or five years.

Fully recovered?  Westhoff returned to the sideline in 2008.  O'Dea left before the 2010 season.  The Jets had good special teams up to 2011.  In 2012 they fell off a cliff and they were mid-pack last year.  A huge part of it was the constant roster turnover.  When you have injuries those roster spots you monkey with are the guys that are the meat and potato special teamers.  There were some articles of Westhoff complaining about it and that is when he was given more starters to play - I think Bart Scott played some.  

As an LSU fan I can say that the talent he has been given made him look really good and probably maxed his stock the last couple years.. He came in 2011 and inherited the best punter and returner in the country that year. Not saying he won't be good but their are a lot of unknowns about the guy from looking at his career at LSU

Archived