• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Yayyyyyy crime!

Key Hernandez witness failed polygraph test regarding shooting

Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Ortiz

AP

The Odin Lloyd murder trial commences in January. A recent report suggests that the man once believed to be the prosecution’s key witness against former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez failed a lie-detector test regarding the question of whether the witness saw Hernandez shoot Lloyd.

Via WVDH.com, Carlos Ortiz showed deception when denying that he observed the June 2013 shooting in an industrial park near Hernandez’s home.

“I didn’t see what happened,” Ortiz said in the transcript of the polygraph test, after the administrator told Ortiz was lying when he claimed not to see the shooting. “I mean, I seen when everybody got out you know. I was opening the door and that’s when I heard the gunshot.”

The transcript was released in connection with an effort to charge Hernandez’s cousin, Tanya Singleton, with being an accessory to the murder. Singleton is served two years of probation after pleading guilty to contempt of court charges arising from her refusal to testify against Hernandez at a grand jury. She suffers from cancer, and it’s possible that prosecutors have decided to charge her with a more serious crime to persuade Hernandez to strike a plea deal.

Hernandez also is used of killing two men in July 2012. He has been held without bail for more than 15 months.

Early on, it appeared that Ortiz would be the key witness against Hernandez. Concerns regarding drug use and other reasons for unreliability resulted in Ortiz’s relevance to the prosecution of Hernandez fading. It’s unclear why he’s regarded as a reliable witness in the case against Singleton.

Archived