Clinton-Dix or Clavin Pryor?

BroadwayJoe12

Let us all put aside the hopes of drafting Watkins, Lee or Evans in the first now, so the sting of disappointment is somewhat lessened come draft-day.  I know Jif and others have mentioned, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, that they expect CB to be the first pick, but if we're going to run with the narrative that Idzik will be copying Seattle's blueprint, we might as well start with the safety. Earl Thomas was the bluechip player in that secondary drafted by Seattle, is their best player in their secondary and is their #1 priority heading into the off-season. That having been said, instead of going after Byrd or Ward, it would not surprised me to see Idzik go after one of these two players and hope to land a WR in the 2nd or 3rd, in addition to FA, given the incredible depth of the WRs this year.

While it would certainly cause many moans and groans in radio city, much like the Sheldon pick, it could be the type of move that really turns this defense from good to very good/great.  

http://youtu.be/zDEEAUMJ0oo

One of the big three receivers will probably fall to us. So, I'm hoping for Mike Evans. If their's a run on wide receivers, we could also draft a tight end, although I hate the idea of drafting a tight end in the first round.

To answer your question though, draft the safety. We've spent what, 2 first rounders on corners now? Not to mention that we still have Cro.

Am I the only one not overly impressed with Ha-Ha?  His hits aren't that big, they say he can cover the whole field, but his speed doesn't jump off the page like an Eric Berry or Polomalu.  His best highlights are from his Sophomore year and they are so-so.

So-So Clinton Dix. 

I've only seen Pryor knock the hell out of a player on one highlight clip, and catch the ball with one hand in another. Both clips were nice, but hardly a sample size worth commenting on.  

I really hope we address safety in FA:  TJ Ward, Jairus Byrd, Bernard Pollard...there's others.  

Am I the only one not overly impressed with Ha-Ha?  His hits aren't that big, they say he can cover the whole field, but his speed doesn't jump off the page like an Eric Berry or Polomalu.  His best highlights are from his Sophomore year and they are so-so.

So-So Clinton Dix. 

I've only seen Pryor knock the hell out of a player on one highlight clip, and catch the ball with one hand in another. Both clips were nice, but hardly a sample size worth commenting on.  

I really hope we address safety in FA:  TJ Ward, Jairus Byrd, Bernard Pollard...there's others.  

I only saw Pryor when I went to watch Teddy, not sure there's many clips to really view unless you watch all the Louisville games. Ward has already stated that he wants to stay in Cleveland and I doubt they let him leave. If Buffalo doesn't franchise Byrd again, he's just going to the highest bidder, although he'd be my #1 target in FA if he does hit it.

Ultimately, I would like Marqisee Lee, but I'm just widening my list of players so as not to be disappointed when draft day comes and Lee is taken right before us and or he falls to us and we pass. 

I'm familar with both players from their recruitment days.  Florida had both on their radar as Haha is from Orlando and Pryor, south Florida (that Charlie Strong connection).

HaHa was considered the best DB in the country coming out of Dr. Phillips (an athletic powerhouse in O-town).  Pryor was like a 3 star recruit who really flourished under Strong.  He can lay some serious wood. 

I like both players, wouldnt be upset with either but none of them seem like a cant miss which is what you're looking for IMO if you're taking a safety that high.  Neither really blow me away but I do feel like Pryor probably fits the scheme better.

Byrd would obviously be ideal if he hits the open market. Add him at free safety and I think the secondary really gets solidified. Landry and Allen compete for the other spot, Milliner with a year of experience under his belt, and maybe Cro back on a cheaper deal. Not like they lack the money and as you said Idzik came from Seattle where Earl Thomas is a huge part of their success.

I haven't gotten a chance to see a lot of Pryor, but I wasn't terrible impressed with Clinton-Dix when I watched him. Jimmie Ward looks pretty solid as a day 2 option and I think that could make more sense than either of the other two in the first (provided they don't address safety in FA).

So-So Clinton Dix. 

Whats the chances of being able to afford T J Ward & Jairus Byrd, We would be instantly better

Whats the chances of being able to afford T J Ward & Jairus Byrd, We would be instantly better

You wouldn't get the return on your investment by paying both safeties top-dollar.  Ward is very similar to Allen, who has played well enough to earn his time on the field next year. While Byrd is the perfect fit, it's more a question of whether or not either hit the open market, as Ward has already expressed a desire to stay in Cleveland and it's tough to imagine Buffalo letting Byrd go after the years he's just had.

One thing to consider: Pete Carroll has always produced good safety play wherever he's been. Not saying that Thomas and Chancellor aren't great talents, but I remember Pete getting Erik McMillan and Brian Washington to look like stars.

That's not a bad point, but I did read and old article somewhere recently that McMillan was statistically horrible by some prehistoric metric they were using, yet made the pro bowl on flash.  

YES! Byrd at safety. Draft Dennard from Michigan State. He would be a perfect compliment to Milliner. Two young athletic corners, a stud safety, a rockin DL. 

Sign Orakpo, drat a rookie QB, sign McGowan, Sanders and draft a few other pieces and you have instantly transformed this sad offense, drastically strengthened

your pass defense and reinforced your ability to rush the passer.  If Idzik is smart, which I hope he is, this off season can really be something special.

Archived