would Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews be a reach at pick 18?

Jetknowledge

If there's a run on all the good offensive players, there'll probably be one or two good defensive players available at #18. The Jets were desperate for offensive help last year, too, but that didn't stop the team from going defense in the first round. Twice.

While I am biased on Robinson because of where he went to school, the kid is tough, durable and will be an NFL receiver for at least a decade. Whether he will be a "star" receiver is an unknown. He has fair quickness off the the line and can "body up" most d-backs and has tremendous leaping ability and body control.

Hands are very good and he doesn't allow the ball come into his body.

The Jets could certainly do worse at 18 at WR.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering because there's a chance Watkins, Evans, Lee, Kelvin, & Ebron will be gone before our pick.

Im about to put up my updated pre mock draft and I tell you this, Jordan Matthews to me looks like the most nfl ready WR I've seen so far bar none. Taking him at 18 will probably look like a stretch in May, but by seasons end it'll be a no-brainer and possibly the best value pick the Jets make the entire draft if they draft this kid. Im actually watching his tape now and he's looking VERY legit. 

Despise the term reach as it denotes that the opinions of the Matt Millers and draftniks of the world actually hold value in the NFL.  By and large, players are selected where their value is determined by FOs from all around the league, thus if Matthews is picked at 18, his value is a mid-first rounder. 

Other than that, it's impossible to answer without knowing who else is on the board. If you have those four receivers and one tight end already off the board and presumably four QBs, as Slats mentioned, there's probably going to be a stud defensive guy who falls through the cracks, like maybe Mack or Barr. 

Despise the term reach as it denotes that the opinions of the Matt Millers and draftniks of the world actually hold value in the NFL.  By and large, players are selected where their value is determined by FOs from all around the league, thus if Matthews is picked at 18, his value is a mid-first rounder. 

Other than that, it's impossible to answer without knowing who else is on the board. If you have those four receivers and one tight end already off the board and presumably four QBs, as Slats mentioned, there's probably going to be a stud defensive guy who falls through the cracks, like maybe Mack or Barr. 

If Khalil Mack falls out of the top ten and is sitting at #18 the Jets better trade back to the mid 20's and pick up another 3rd rounder. 

If Khalil Mack falls out of the top ten and is sitting at #18 the Jets better trade back to the mid 20's and pick up another 3rd rounder. 

If Mack somehow falls to 18th and we don't select him, I'll be extremely annoyed.  He'd be our best edge-rusher in about a decade and fills a position of need. 

t1JGW8j.gif

I figured the "watching tape" part would have gotten you more.

YouTube = Tape = 1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif

Kinda reminds me when I was spoke on Alshon Jeffery a couple years ago (after watching tape) and all I seen was funny gif's and fat pics. 

2 years later Jeffery's in the probowl and people still have their Gifs....no fat pics yet. 

If Mack somehow falls to 18th and we don't select him, I'll be extremely annoyed.  He'd be our best edge-rusher in about a decade and fills a position of need. 

I dont care. They should trade back, get an extra pick and get that WR. It wont matter how good Mack is (or the defense for that matter) if the offense cant score points. It is a position of need, but not as much a need as WR. We have Coples, and we're most likely signing Barnes back. We have Jeremy Kerley! 

Sometimes you have to take it there you know?

Looking at youtube clips and cutups is not equivalent to "watching tape," that's probably the most hollow, disingenuous phrase on football forums.  You're lording Jeffery over everyone as if you nailed Marques Colston in the bottom of the 7th round.  You predicated that the best WR in the SEC and the 45th overall pick in the draft was going to be good, BOLD prediction. No one doubted his talent, they doubted his drive and ethic, there's a difference.  I'll give you credit for looking past that however.

Hey, I said Larry Warford was going to be the best OG in the draft for months, and he went in the third, does that make me JN's resident Oline scout!?

Looking at youtube clips and cutups is not equivalent to "watching tape," that's probably the most hollow, disingenuous phrase on football forums.  You're lording Jeffery over everyone as if you nailed Marques Colston in the bottom of the 7th round.  You predicated that the best WR in the SEC and the 45th overall pick in the draft was going to be good, BOLD prediction. No one doubted his talent, they doubted his drive and ethic, there's a difference.  I'll give you credit for looking past that however.

Hey, I said Larry Warford was going to be the best OG in the draft for months, and he went in the third, does that make me JN's resident Oline scout!?

Good enough for me. Which QB should the Jets draft Mr. EXPERT?

Yes, yes it does. Fight Bitonti for it.

Me too, me too....what do I get?

Good enough for me. Which QB should the Jets draft Mr. EXPERT?

My point wasn't to say that I was a better talent evaluator than anyone, just that there are legitimate reasons that FOs pass on players other than talent. Villain and I actually do like a lot of the same WRs in this draft, however I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that because I nailed Larry Waford and Carl NIcks a few years ago means I'm right.

FWIW, my top 5, in order (subject to flip around after the combine):

Lee

Watkins

Beckham

Evans

Cooks

But it's a pretty weak estimate, considering I've barely seen Adams, Robinson, Montcrief play outside of a game here or there.

My point wasn't to say that I was a better talent evaluator than anyone, just that there are legitimate reasons that FOs pass on players other than talent. Villain and I actually do like a lot of the same WRs in this draft, however I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that because I nailed Larry Waford and Carl NIcks a few years ago means I'm right.

FWIW, my top 5, in order (subject to flip around after the combine):

Lee

Watkins

Beckham

Evans

Cooks

But it's a pretty weak estimate, considering I've barely seen Adams, Robinson, Montcrief play outside of a game here or there.

No , read again, which QUARTERBACK should we draft?

I'm not talking about YouTube highlights, you can easily find video of almost every snap Matthews took in a given game. This is why I called it tape and not YouTube highlights. It's literally tape of all his relevant snaps in a football game. 

Kinda reminds me when I was spoke on Alshon Jeffery a couple years ago (after watching tape) and all I seen was funny gif's and fat pics. 

2 years later Jeffery's in the probowl and people still have their Gifs....no fat pics yet.

You did, and that's why I'm willing to give you a little more credence this year. Kinda like when Jeane Dixon predicted JFK's assassination.

I dont care. They should trade back, get an extra pick and get that WR. It wont matter how good Mack is (or the defense for that matter) if the offense cant score points. It is a position of need, but not as much a need as WR. We have Coples, and we're most likely signing Barnes back. We have Jeremy Kerley!

The Jets will have anywhere from $40M to $50M to spend on free agents this year. What they need to do is take care of their (receiving) needs as best as they possibly can in free agency, so that if a stud pass rusher drops to them at #18, they can comfortably pounce. Drafting for need is a recipe for failure.

Archived