would Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews be a reach at pick 18?

Jetknowledge

Just wondering because there's a chance Watkins, Evans, Lee, Kelvin, & Ebron will be gone before our pick.

I say if all of these prospects are off the board at 18 we should go defense, and get another serious DE or OLB; then wait til 2nd to get a WR/TE. I am hoping we get one of the top 3 or 4 WRs or Ebron but your right in that it's a possibility they're all gone. I'm also assuming we're going to pick up 1 if not 2 big name WRs in FA.

I say if all of these prospects are off the board at 18 we should go defense, and get another serious DE or OLB; then wait til 2nd to get a WR/TE. I am hoping we get one of the top 3 or 4 WRs or Ebron but your right in that it's a possibility they're all gone. I'm also assuming we're going to pick up 1 if not 2 big name WRs in FA.

I agree, even thoe it's unlikely, nearly impossible I want CJ Mosley, he can play any linebacker position and could be the best pass rusher coming out.

matthews can't get separation therefore yes he is a reach at 18. We will see what Robinson runs he might be a real first rounder. he has to blaze tho. Odell Beckham Jr looks more like a guy who will fit a need and be worth the pick, after he runs a 4.3

You know, they said keenan allen speed was going to hold him back. And his injury.

Even thoe he went middle round his rookie season shows what that 40 time means compared to tape.

My point wasn't to say that I was a better talent evaluator than anyone, just that there are legitimate reasons that FOs pass on players other than talent. Villain and I actually do like a lot of the same WRs in this draft, however I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that because I nailed Larry Waford and Carl NIcks a few years ago means I'm right.

FWIW, my top 5, in order (subject to flip around after the combine):

Lee

Watkins

Beckham

Evans

Cooks

But it's a pretty weak estimate, considering I've barely seen Adams, Robinson, Montcrief play outside of a game here or there.

Those would be my top 5 favorites too. Landry right behind them at 6. After that I'd probably rather Abbrederis a little later in the draft than the entire next tier in the second round..  

I would definitely be happy with Mettenberger.

Dear Joewilly78,

If you should choose to, please scroll up.  beside your name is a bottom facing triangle.  Click on it.  Under "settings", you're able to change your "signature".  Please do. 

Those would be my top 5 favorites too. Landry right behind them at 6. After that I'd probably rather Abbrederis a little later in the draft than the entire next tier in the second round..  

The fact of the matter is that the 5-8 guys being mentioned as first rounders are more than likely not all going to be good, it just rarely happens that way. It reminds me a lot of 2009 when you had Crabtree, Maclin, DHB, Percy Harvin, Robiskie, Britt and Nicks all being talked about as potential first rounders. Then you had guys like Mike Wallace, Louis Murphy and Austin Collie in the next few rounds.  It's basically the same draft and as much as I liked the 5 guys I listed and feel they all will have good careers, which one of them is gonna turn out to be Kenny Britt or DHB??  

You did, and that's why I'm willing to give you a little more credence this year. Kinda like when Jeane Dixon predicted JFK's assassination.

The Jets will have anywhere from $40M to $50M to spend on free agents this year. What they need to do is take care of their (receiving) needs as best as they possibly can in free agency, so that if a stud pass rusher drops to them at #18, they can comfortably pounce. Drafting for need is a recipe for failure.

There are a couple nice WR's in FA but no one I'm head over heels for, but I certainly get your point. I like Khalil Mack,I just feel that Lee or Matthews are worth the 18th pick. I don't see that as a reach for Matthews. He reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin, not as strong yet. This is about seeing the jets yet again pick a defensive player in the 1st round, though having a top 10 quality guy drop to you at 18 is hard to pass on.  Say if we hit big and Mack is Legit, we will have so much high drafted talent on defense that eventually we will lose them to FA just to make room for offensive weapons. This draft also has talent at the OLB position this year as well. There's guys we can get later on. The only WR that in my eyes is a "for sure reach" at 18 is Benjamin. 

Robinson seems like an interesting option for the Jets. Pretty good after the catch, did a fantastic job on screens this past season, good size, and has shown the ability to go up and get the ball downfield this past season. Similar body type and skill set to Keenan Allen coming out last year IMO. Mornhinweg uses WR's on screens a lot, Geno shows some decent touch in the screen game too, plus Geno had some success going downfield last year. 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that Allen Robinson has a good base to become an outstanding long term weapon for the Jets... He is good at everything kinda a "Jack of All Trades" type player... Might not have the explosion like a Sammy Watkins, but is physical at the point of attack... He reminds me of a more spry Jerricho Cotchery, willing and able to do everything needed to help the offense... Understands defensive sets, to check off or check down in routes while his leaping ability is dooly noted, he will leap into triple coverage to make a play on the ball... He is good fundamental with functional strength blocker and can be that security blanket type possession receiver for any QB who could be under center for us...

Now selecting him at 18, could be a stretch for most seeing all the potential other names that will still be on the board... Thinking long term, he is a cold weathered receiver, that is consistent in rainy weather & snow conditions unlike other receivers on the board...

Jordan Matthews on the other hand has slipped down into mid-2nd Rd prospect, to take him at 18 would be foolish... Like Robinson he has a high NFL shelf but he would likely need a half a season to acclimate to the NFL level...

I believe that Allen Robinson has a good base to become an outstanding long term weapon for the Jets... He is good at everything kinda a "Jack of All Trades" type player... Might not have the explosion like a Sammy Watkins, but is physical at the point of attack... He reminds me of a more spry Jerricho Cotchery, willing and able to do everything needed to help the offense... Understands defensive sets, to check off or check down in routes while his leaping ability is dooly noted, he will leap into triple coverage to make a play on the ball... He is good fundamental with functional strength blocker and can be that security blanket type possession receiver for any QB who could be under center for us...

Now selecting him at 18, could be a stretch for most seeing all the potential other names that will still be on the board... Thinking long term, he is a cold weathered receiver, that is consistent in rainy weather & snow conditions unlike other receivers on the board...

Jordan Matthews on the other hand has slipped down into mid-2nd Rd prospect, to take him at 18 would be foolish... Like Robinson he has a high NFL shelf but he would likely need a half a season to acclimate to the NFL level...

Im not too sure about your ending comment. Robinson seems good, but when you talk about a "jack of all trades" player, no one is better imo than Jordan Matthews. He's been successful in the SEC by playing every WR position, even lining up at the TE position. And with him having very solid soft hands (the largest hands at the combine) he can make an immediate impact for a football team just being able to line up anywhere on the football field.

Archived