Favorite Band That's Still Touring

BroadwayJoe12

Always looking for new music as most of my favorite bands are either dead or no longer touring. With the Black Crowes only going on tour to support their solo projects, I've been forced to find other bands to see whenever they come around.  The Derek Trucks Band, now Tedeschi Trucks band has slowly moved to my favorite act still touring. Following closely behind is JJ Grey and Mofro, both of which you all should check out if you like that blues-rock. 

And if you got the time, listen to their version of Key to the Highway, if not, just skip to 2:50 and sit back for a couple minutes as this guy has the best tone and some of the best chops you'll see out their touring. 

There's also a newish group forming over the last couple years between Steve Gorman (black crowes drummer), Audley Freed (crowes/gov mule...) and Nick Govrik and then recruited Jackie Green and Joan Osborne. It's nice to see a bunch of pros who've been in the business for a while just out there having fun. (apologies for some of the quality)

I saw Megadeth recently and they were f*cking amazing.  Not sure how Dave Mustaine is still alive but he's a god.

He's gotta be in his 50s right? How anyone survives 30 years of that lifestyle is beyond me. Metallica or Megadeath have never been my style, but I hear from everyone that they put on amazing shows. Kinda like how I've never been a huge U2 fan outside of War and Joshua Tree, but I hear they put on a hell of a show as well.

He's gotta be in his 50s right? How anyone survives 30 years of that lifestyle is beyond me. Metallica or Megadeath have never been my style, but I hear from everyone that they put on amazing shows. Kinda like how I've never been a huge U2 fan outside of War and Joshua Tree, but I hear they put on a hell of a show as well.

They OPENED with Hangar 18 at the show I was at (not the one below, but its the best clip I could find quality-wise from a recent show on youtube).  I was going nuts.

MBV has been touring the last year. Without question the loudest show I have ever been to in my life and that's including Motorhead, I think they hit 130 db at their Chicago show. Trail of Dead is touring this year playing Source Tags from beginning to end, I'm pretty excited about that one. And The Flaming Lips are still a band you have to experience live at least once in your life.

For me I'd have to give the top prize to Queens or Costello. There's just something about Homme from top to bottom that makes me happy he probably won't ever stop touring or making albums. And Elvis is just Elvis, guy's the man.

rush_2d00_logo_5b00_1_5d00_.gif

I know some people absolutely love this band, just could never get into them. And I actually tried. I know they're great musicians, just never particularly care for Lee's voice.  I get the same thing with Humble Pie: I love Marriott's voice, but I know others who find it cringe-worthy.

Most of my favourite bands are still touring, they just rarely, if ever, make it over here. Seen Maiden a bunch of times, but Rage only ever seem to do one UK date then scuttle back to Germany. Some day though.

However, Overkill are playing their first ever Irish date next month. Only took them over 30 years to manage it.

Always looking for new music as most of my favorite bands are either dead or no longer touring. With the Black Crowes only going on tour to support their solo projects, I've been forced to find other bands to see whenever they come around.  The Derek Trucks Band, now Tedeschi Trucks band has slowly moved to my favorite act still touring.

With Trucks and Warren Haynes leaving The Brothers - it might put Tedeschi/Trucks on the road more. 

It's going to be interesting to see who ABB recruits to fill that unfillable void. It would be nice to have Dickey back with them, but not happening if he's not sober and last I heard he's not.

With Trucks and Warren Haynes leaving The Brothers - it might put Tedeschi/Trucks on the road more. 

It's going to be interesting to see who ABB recruits to fill that unfillable void. It would be nice to have Dickey back with them, but not happening if he's not sober and last I heard he's not.

Greg actually announced that after this year, with Warren and Derek leaving, he was gonna retire the band. I'm sure they'll do some reunion things once in a while, but 40 years seems like a nice ending point. Obviously never got to see them with Duane, but still saw em whenever they came around.  I remember they were touring with Petty a few years back and Saratoga sued them for playing hours past the news ordinance at 10 or whenever it was.  Both play 2+ hour sets and ended around 1, it was a nice little f*ck you: SPAC's a great venue though for an outside show.

Primus, Radiohead, QOTSA, Jane's Addiction, Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, White/Rob Zombie, Galactic, Soulive...now those were the days sunny.

I've seen 100's of concerts and have never caught Radiohead. Probably the band I most want to see that I haven't

rush_2d00_logo_5b00_1_5d00_.gif

so last summer my son got into rush.  for an 8 year old he has great taste.  I decided to look to see if they were touring.  I logged on 1 week after they played jones beach.  FML

do you think they will tour again soon ?

so last summer my son got into rush.  for an 8 year old he has great taste.  I decided to look to see if they were touring.  I logged on 1 week after they played jones beach.  FML

do you think they will tour again soon ?

I had heard they were taking time off for a year or so but will definitly tour again. Saw them last summer great time had by all. My sons 1st time at that one. Everyone should witness at least one Neil Peart drum solo in their lives.

I've seen 100's of concerts and have never caught Radiohead. Probably the band I most want to see that I haven't

I've seen them twice but the Liberty Park NJ show was ridiculous. What an amazing place to see any show, backdrop was the NY skyline. The music (Kid A/Amnesiac tour) worked perfectly with the atmosphere. The show was less than a month before 9/11. To the left was the towers to the right you could see the Statue of Liberty with planes coming and going out of JFK or Laguardia. 

The show was at night which made it amazing, this is the only pic I could find to even give you an idea how cool the setting was. 

radioheadliberty1.jpg

We were camped middle stage but farther away on the hill, wish I had taken a picture but that was before smart phones, lol. 

Not sure if you're a Radiohead fan but they play this song, You and Who's Army, which he kept stopping to look back at the City, as if that's who he was singing to.  It was so ironic and strange to think about after 9/11 a few weeks later. I made my deadhead/hippy friend go to the show with me. He wasn't into the band until he saw them live. We still talk about it. 

I've seen them twice but the Liberty Park NJ show was ridiculous. What an amazing place to see any show, backdrop was the NY skyline. The music (Kid A/Amnesiac tour) worked perfectly with the atmosphere. The show was less than a month before 9/11. To the left was the towers to the right you could see the Statue of Liberty with planes coming and going out of JFK or Laguardia. 

The show was at night which made it amazing, this is the only pic I could find to even give you an idea how cool the setting was. 

radioheadliberty1.jpg

We were camped middle stage but farther away on the hill, wish I had taken a picture but that was before smart phones, lol. 

Not sure if you're a Radiohead fan but they play this song, You and Who's Army, which he kept stopping to look back at the City, as if that's who he was singing to.  It was so ironic and strange to think about after 9/11 a few weeks later. I made my deadhead/hippy friend go to the show with me. He wasn't into the band until he saw them live. We still talk about it. 

Awesome story, yeah I've seen a show or two there. Cool venue, love the skyline in the background

The thing that makes Radiohead the band that they are is that they're able to make so many of those tracks off Kid A or Amnesiac or Hail work on stage. Playing Packt Like Sardines or Revolving Doors with live instruments is pretty ******* impressive. I don't know how many bands in history could pull off that type of album to stage transition but the list would be damn short.

The thing that makes Radiohead the band that they are is that they're able to make so many of those tracks off Kid A or Amnesiac or Hail work on stage. Playing Packt Like Sardines or Revolving Doors with live instruments is pretty ******* impressive. I don't know how many bands in history could pull off that type of album to stage transition but the list would be damn short.

yea.. I saw a live show on some Canadian music channel awhile back , I was definitely impressed by that

radioheadliberty1.jpg

Great pic

I had heard they were taking time off for a year or so but will definitly tour again. Saw them last summer great time had by all. My sons 1st time at that one. Everyone should witness at least one Neil Peart drum solo in their lives.

cool.  I had pink Floyd tickets to the last tour and couldn't go.  I can't let rush get away

• 2 months later...

Greg actually announced that after this year, with Warren and Derek leaving, he was gonna retire the band. I'm sure they'll do some reunion things once in a while, but 40 years seems like a nice ending point. Obviously never got to see them with Duane, but still saw em whenever they came around.  I remember they were touring with Petty a few years back and Saratoga sued them for playing hours past the news ordinance at 10 or whenever it was.  Both play 2+ hour sets and ended around 1, it was a nice little f*ck you: SPAC's a great venue though for an outside show.

New hope - go to the 6 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6WDTW3tj0LM

Archived