NY Jets interested in free agent wide receivers Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders

brian101193

sanders-web.jpg DON WRIGHT/AP  

Emmanuel Sanders (l.) leaves the Jets in the dust here, but if Gang Green gets their way, the Steelers WR will be catching passes from their QB in 2014.

Two months after the Jets’ celebratory locker room scene in Miami punctuated Rex Ryan's return for at least one more season, the team's brain trust has started targeting free agents to upgrade a lackluster offense.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets covet free agent wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and Emmanuel Sanders with the hope that one or both can help revamp the league's 31st-ranked passing offense from last season.

Jets receivers were among the league's worst in 2013. Geno Smith’s erratic rookie season can be attributed, in part, to the lack of difference makers in the passing game.

Ryan's top four receivers - Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Stephen Hill - combined for 126 receptions and 1,744 yards. Cleveland’s Josh Gordon racked up 98 fewer yards all by himself. Seventeen receivers and five tight ends had more touchdowns than the combined total of seven by the Jets’ quartet.

The organization is fully aware that a change is in order. Holmes isn’t part of the team's future plans. The Jets have already included the $8.25 million in savings it will get by cutting Holmes in the pool of available money for free agency, according to sources.

General manager John Idzik has about $20.2 million in cap space before Holmes’ official departure (before his $1 million roster bonus is due next month) frees up more.

The free agent wide receiver class isn't particularly strong. Don’t expect the Jets to land Eric Decker, the consensus top available wideout, when free agency begins on March 11.

The Jets may express interest in the Broncos receiver to gauge his value, but it's unlikely Idzik will pay a hefty price for him. Some people in the organization aren’t sold on Decker's ability to be a true No. 1 receiver, either.

Ryan’s future with the Jets beyond this season hinges on the offseason offensive makeover. Maclin is an intriguing and affordable game-changer if he becomes available.

Maclin missed the entire 2013 season with the Eagles after tearing his ACL during a training camp practice in late July. His familiarity with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast offense would make it a seamless transition. Maclin showed flashes of brilliance in four years with Mornhinweg in Philadelphia.

However, it’s unclear whether he’ll even hit the open market.

The Eagles and Maclin, a 2009 first-round pick, have discussed the possibility of returning, but it’s unclear if he can get a multi-year deal coming off his knee injury. Philadelphia also has unrestricted free agent receiver Riley Cooper, who emerged in Maclin’s absence, prompting G.M. Howie Roseman to recently admit that his team was dealing with a “complicated” situation.

cowboys-eagles-football.jpg DANIEL SATO/AP Jeremy Maclin is coming off a torn ACL but has incredible big play ability.

Maclin, who will turn 26 this summer, has made it clear that he’d be amenable to a one-year prove-it deal, which would be music to the Jets’ ears if everything checks out medically. But would Maclin actually choose the Jets over Chip Kelly’s high-octane offense in what would amount to a showcase season for him.

“For a team that wants to give me a one-year deal, that's cool,” Maclin told Comcast Philadelphia last month. “I’ll just go out there and ball out, do the things I think I can do. Hopefully get that type of deal I'm looking for (after 2014). If a team wants to give me a long-term deal, I’ll go out there and still do the same thing.”

The Jets view Maclin (258 career catches for 3,453 yards) as a quality No. 1 receiver when healthy. Although Maclin’s only 6-0, he’s been a consistent red-zone threat in his career. More than half (14) of Maclin’s 26 career touchdowns have come inside the 20.

The Jets may have to fend off their division rivals for Sanders, whose career highs in receptions (67), yards (740) and touchdowns (six) in his first year as a full-time starter with the Steelers last season helped land him on Gang Green’s wish list too.

The Patriots signed Sanders to a 1-year, $2.5 million offer sheet when he was a restricted free agent last offseason, but Pittsburgh matched it rather than let him go and take New England's third-round pick.

At 5-11, 180 pounds, Sanders also isn’t a big-bodied receiver that the Jets need (Hill doesn’t count), but his 4.4 speed and quickness would be a solid fit in Mornhinweg’s scheme.

The Steelers tried to maximize Sanders’ run-after-the-catch ability in his fourth season. A quarter of his receptions in 2013 came on passes caught behind the line of scrimmage. Fifty-one percent came within nine yards of the line of scrimmage. Sanders also has experience as a punt and kick returner, which is an area of need for Ryan’s team.

“He’s an explosive player and he’s fast,” Bill Belichick said in the run-up to the Patriots-Steelers game in Week 9. “He’s dangerous on catch-and-run plays like tear screens, reverses and kick returns. He’s also a good route runner with quickness and obviously speed and big-play ability.”

The Steelers may be inclined to let Sanders, who will turn 27 next month, walk, to pave the way for second-year wideout Markus Wheaton. The Patriots could make another run at Sanders, especially if unrestricted free agent Julian Edelman leaves town.

Ryan admitted last week that the Jets will likely address receiver in the draft in May, but there's no doubt that one of last year’s least productive offenses needs skill-position difference makers in free agency.

Maybe Maclin and/or Sanders can help.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming off an injury Maclin needs to prove himself- looks like a  Idzik move

Maclin's going to attract a lot of interest despite the ACL. He might sign a one-year deal to stay in Philly, but I think the Jets would have to come up with a multi-year deal to lure him away. As the article said, if you were a WR looking to do a one year showcase for the rest of the league, would you want to do that with Chip Kelly or Rex Ryan?

Sanders strikes me as one of those small school guys who takes a few years to acclimate to the speed of the NFL and then in a matter of a season or two just "gets it." After Wallace left, he really picked his game up and this is the type of signing I wouldn't mind. Not the best in his class, but entering the prime of his career, all ready for a breakout season. Think he would fit in quite well in Marty's system. 

Maclin's going to attract a lot of interest despite the ACL. He might sign a one-year deal to stay in Philly, but I think the Jets would have to come up with a multi-year deal to lure him away. As the article said, if you were a WR looking to do a one year showcase for the rest of the league, would you want to do that with Chip Kelly or Rex Ryan?

Exactly. I don't expect many teams to be offering multi-year deals for him, and knowing the nature of the game and how easily injuries can happen, he may take the most guaranteed money he can get. I would imagine familiarity with the OC would help as well, but in the end, money talks.  It's either Maclin feels confident that he can stay healthy for a full season, which he's never done, in order to cash in, or sign a multi-year deal that could possibly be restructured should he vastly outperform it. 

The Decker thing still strikes me as particularly odd. There's a strong consensus opinion league-wide on the uncertainty of his ability, yet also a strong consensus that he'll be bid on as if he's a true #1. Which means everyone is banking on the idea that there will be enough teams competing to knowingly give him a bad contract, so it's pointless to even bother.

The Decker thing still strikes me as particularly odd. There's a strong consensus opinion league-wide on the uncertainty of his ability, yet also a strong consensus that he'll be bid on as if he's a true #1. Which means everyone is banking on the idea that there will be enough teams competing to knowingly give him a bad contract, so it's pointless to even bother.

With a handful of WR-needy teams who also have plenty of cap-space, these execs are probably just assuming that the market for WRs is going to be inflated early on. As you said, I'm sure many don't think he's worth #1 money, but they'd probably err on the side of him getting that contract, which just seems ridiculous in and of itself. I for one hope Idzik lets the first wave go by and looks to sign Sanders as previously mentioned. Someone who's never put up numbers that would garner a big-time contract, but who's talent and production is trending upward. Buy on future performance, not Peyton Manning-inflated numbers.

Sanders strikes me as one of those small school guys who takes a few years to acclimate to the speed of the NFL and then in a matter of a season or two just "gets it." After Wallace left, he really picked his game up and this is the type of signing I wouldn't mind. Not the best in his class, but entering the prime of his career, all ready for a breakout season. Think he would fit in quite well in Marty's system.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the thread title I was pretty excited to see Sanders there. So what WR # is he?!?!

With a handful of WR-needy teams who also have plenty of cap-space, these execs are probably just assuming that the market for WRs is going to be inflated early on. As you said, I'm sure many don't think he's worth #1 money, but they'd probably err on the side of him getting that contract, which just seems ridiculous in and of itself. I for one hope Idzik lets the first wave go by and looks to sign Sanders as previously mentioned. Someone who's never put up numbers that would garner a big-time contract, but who's talent and production is trending upward. Buy on future performance, not Peyton Manning-inflated numbers.

To be fair to Decker: he put up 612 yards on 44 catches with 8 touchdowns in his 2nd year with Orton and Tebow. That's about as good as any of Sanders first 4 seasons. Sanders has put up more receptions, but has never had 8 touchdowns in his career, not once. And he had Big Ben throwing to him, who is far better than Orton or Tebow.

Then you have the 2 Peyton Manning years which do blow away any of Sanders seasons for sure. But even if you disregard them that 2011 season was pretty good considering what he had to work with.

That's what I got from it also.  

Kelly's system offers a lot of opportunity, but he'll be getting his touches from the back of the line as the #2/3 receiving option behind Jackson and McCoy, and possibly Folk's favorite slur-slinging receiver, in Riley Cooper.  

Coming to New York, he'd be the clear-cut #1 receiver.  Having a multi-year deal to boot might be the deciding factor if that's the end to the means in the first place.  What about the whole, "come to NY, get endorsements, deal"? The #1 WR in New York (if he's not a douche) should have plenty of secondary financial incentives.  

To be fair to Decker: he put up 612 yards on 44 catches with 8 touchdowns in his 2nd year with Orton and Tebow. That's about as good as any of Sanders first 4 seasons. Sanders has put up more receptions, but has never had 8 touchdowns in his career, not once. And he had Big Ben throwing to him, who is far better than Orton or Tebow.

Then you have the 2 Peyton Manning years which do blow away any of Sanders seasons for sure. But even if you disregard them that 2011 season was pretty good considering what he had to work with.

I don't have to be fair to Decker. I don't feel he's worth $8+ million a season or whatever the assumed asking price will be. I know what he did with Tebow and Orton and 44 catches and 612 yards is nice, but nothing spectacular. Touchdowns for WRs and RBs are quite possibly the most impossible thing to predict, as of now, there's really zero metric that has been shown to accurately predict future TD performance. A few people have tried, but it's too difficult to know whether a Calvin Johnson will get tackled on the 1 yard line five times in one season or score 15 tds the next.  I've said that Decker is a very solid receiver, but I don't like the idea of paying for past performances that a WR put up with a QB that we don't have, I'd rather bet my money on a player like Sanders who's production seems to be trending upwards.

I don't trust Maclin to stay healthy and Sanders was the 4th or 5th option. We need a real #2 (and #1). Neither of these guys is that.

After Wallace left, Sanders was clearly the #2 option behind Brown. He saw 112 targets last season and the closest behind him was Heath Miller with 40 less. You're right though, totally a 4th or 5th option.

After Wallace left, Sanders was clearly the #2 option behind Brown. He saw 112 targets last season and the closest behind him was Heath Miller with 40 less. You're right though, totally a 4th or 5th option.

This year aside, he was the 4th or 5th option his first 3 years in the league. And for being the #2 option with 112 targets this season, his numbers are not great and he's the same size as Kerley. Not sure what the allure is here.

This year aside, he was the 4th or 5th option his first 3 years in the league. And for being the #2 option with 112 targets this season, his numbers are not great and he's the same size as Kerley. Not sure what the allure is here.

Kerely is 5'9 runs a 4.56, Sanders is 5'11 ran a 4.40.

He was a 3rd round pick out of Southern Methodist, did you expect him to jump Wallace, Brown, Ward and Cotchery his first couple of years in the league? I already stipulated that he became the #2 option once Wallace left, which is fact. Pitt started him as a KR and brought him along slowly as a WR, something they're very good at. Bottom line is that he was not a #4 or #5 option this past year, which is the year that counts.   I'm not paying for past performance, I'm paying for future performance and his production is trending up.

So because he's similar in stature to Kerley, it means they are the same? He ran .15 seconds faster in the 40 and beat him in pretty much every other explosion drill. I just don't understand this mentality that if he's not a clear-cut #1 WR he can't help us

So because he's similar in stature to Kerley, it means they are the same? He ran .15 seconds faster in the 40 and beat him in pretty much every other explosion drill. I just don't understand this mentality that if he's not a clear-cut #1 WR he can't help us

Bingo.  There aren't really any true WR1's on the market, and if there ends up being one, he'll cost a pretty penny.  I have no problem with getting a WR2 in free agency and shooting for a future WR1 in the draft.

Kerely is 5'9 runs a 4.56, Sanders is 5'11 ran a 4.40.

Under 6 foot is the same size. The Jets need to get bigger and more physical at receiver.

He was a 3rd round pick out of Southern Methodist, did you expect him to jump Wallace, Brown, Ward and Cotchery his first couple of years in the league? I already stipulated that he became the #2 option once Wallace left, which is fact. Pitt started him as a KR and brought him along slowly as a WR, something they're very good at. Bottom line is that he was not a #4 or #5 option this past year, which is the year that counts.   I'm not paying for past performance, I'm paying for future performance and his production is trending up.

His production is trending up, sure. I just don't think he's the type of player that the Jets need at this particular juncture. The Jets need a #1 and a #2. I don't think he is either. I think he's a solid slot guy. The Jets already have one of those. I don't think Sanders played on the outside a ton, which is where the Jets need help.

Under 6 foot is the same size. The Jets need to get bigger and more physical .

Pats and Seahawks have had no issues w WRs under 6 foot. Height is indeed a luxury but seperation and hands trumps size. You can also be very physical and small ala Welker.

Also Nelson and Hill are both over 6'2.

Under 6 foot is the same size. The Jets need to get bigger and more physical at receiver.

His production is trending up, sure. I just don't think he's the type of player that the Jets need at this particular juncture. The Jets need a #1 and a #2. I don't think he is either. I think he's a solid slot guy. The Jets already have one of those. I don't think Sanders played on the outside a ton, which is where the Jets need help.

I can buy that argument moreso than just #1 or #2. I happen to disagree, but to each his own. I particularly don't think size is at the top of the list of characteristics that MM desires in his receivers. It seems as though he covets guys who can catch the ball in traffic on quick patterns and get yards after the catch, especially after seeing Djax and Maclin in his system. 

I don't think it negates us going after a larger receiver, I just don't think it's a requirement.  I also believe we often confuse size with physicality: Steve Smith is diminuitive (and brandin cooks in the draft), but he's shown more ability to catch the ball in traffic and take a hit than guys that are 6'3 like Decker. All in all, I wouldn't stop with Sanders and Maclin if we signed them, I'd still go after someone like Mike Evans or Robinson in the draft. It's a numbers game with these guys.

Pats and Seahawks have had no issues w WRs under 6 foot. Height is indeed a luxury but seperation and hands trumps size. You can also be very physical and small ala Welker.

Also Nelson and Hill are both over 6'2.

Nelson was wandering the streets and Hill is a cut waiting to happen.

And yes, the Pats and Seahawks have had good luck with smaller receivers, but they also have a very accurate QBs throwing the ball. It's my opinion the Jets need taller receivers to go up and get the typical Geno throw. Kerley and others bailed him out a bunch with some awful throws. Having a taller guy would help that I think. Just my opinion.

Nelson was wandering the streets and Hill is a cut waiting to happen.

And yes, the Pats and Seahawks have had good luck with smaller receivers, but they also have a very accurate QBs throwing the ball. It's my opinion the Jets need taller receivers to go up and get the typical Geno throw. Kerley and others bailed him out a bunch with some awful throws. Having a taller guy would help that I think. Just my opinion.

Having someone who can separate from a DB would help more.

Archived