NY Jets interested in free agent wide receivers Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders

brian101193

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to come down to who he's rather have throwing him the ball. And Geno is not an attractive option versus Foles.

That's fair, but I disagree. It's going to come down to money, as it always does.  Even on a one year deal, I still think it's a smarter bet for him in this offense. Geno was an extremely raw rookie and even with the multiple benchings, he still threw the ball 19th most in the NFL and a few more passing attempts per game than Foles.  In Philly he'll have to compete with Desean Jackson who's guaranteed 100+ looks, Riley Cooper and Zach Ertz who is going to become a big part of that offense. In NY, no matter who we draft, he's going to be the clear cut #1 WR on our roster and will be guaranteed 120+ targets so long as he stays healthy. Unless you're playing with Peyton Manning, you're most likely going to be more productive being the focal point of an offense rather than #3 on another high octane team. Just my opinion on that.

Kerley, Sanders and Maclin as our 3 WR set would give us a lot of little guys, sorta like what they surrounded McNabb with in Philly before they got T.O.

Honestly though, I don't see it happening. The NFL right now is about big bodied guys who can catch the ball away from their body, seems like those guys have a monster advantage over CBs that just got kicked up a notch with the new pass defense rules.

Nelson and hill are 6"4 plus 6"5

I understand that.

Nelson was a scrap heap find and Hill looks like a bust. Like I said, I don't want 3 smurfs as the starting 3 WR set.

Who cares? Catch the ball.

I don't know what's worse about Hill. Its either that he is injured so often after getting hit or that hes so easy to hit.

Who cares? Catch the ball.

I don't know what's worse about Hill. Its either that he is injured so often after getting hit or that hes so easy to hit.

What I'm implying is that a lot if faith and expectations are being lumped on Nelson , but if we signed Maclin and Sanders, it would be them plus Jeeley as our top 3. Perhaps Hill as 4. So Nelson 's height and whether or not he can catch the ball, as you say, becomes irrelevant.

Long story short... These 2 particular FA WRs make our corps way too short.

Yeah I got it and thought it was a no go the first time you said it. That is not a thing. Plus there's still the/a TE.

I thought you were responding to the part about Nelson being a scrap heap guy.

Anyway, it's not worth the potential debate - but there is merit to what I'm saying. Young QBs, and even established veterans, thrive with bigger targets. Not just having a TE. Look at Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers, where would they be if they didn't have rangey WRs who can go up and get the ball at the point of attack over the defenders? 

Also, in case you haven't noticed we don't have a TE... and even if we did, what you are advocating is a bunch of smurfs and a TE. New England is built the same way right now, and the ONLY reason they can make it work is Tom Brady. We don't have one of those either.

We need bigger WRs than Maclin, Sanders and Kerley. I'd love one of Maclin or Sanders, as long as we're getting a big dude in here as well. 

A little regression will go a long way with Foles. I think hes good but THAT good? Eh, even with Chip Kelly's magic.

I don't think he'll keep his pace like he had last season but he has good playmakers and a decent offensive line. Even with regression he's still much better than Geno.

Foles and Kelly are better than geno and mm

What CHIP KELLY, did with Nick Foles, as I pointed out in another thread, was the best coaching job on the offensive side of the football, in all the NFL. Foles finished FIRST in QBR, and had like a mind boggling 26 TDs' to just 2 picks.

This is actually one of the reasons I want MIKE VICK. With the way Foles played, Mike Vick had no chance to get back his position, given the fact that Foles was all-world. It allowed Vick to heal up, to the healthiest he's been in years, and gives him a fresh outlook on the upcoming year. He will thrive as a Jet with Marty as his O-coordinator, and if he stays healthy, the Jets will be 10-6 with Vick Starting.

This is actually one of the reasons I want MIKE VICK. With the way Foles played, Mike Vick had no chance to get back his position, given the fact that Foles was all-world. It allowed Vick to heal up, to the healthiest he's been in years, and gives him a fresh outlook on the upcoming year. He will thrive as a Jet with Marty as his O-coordinator, and if he stays healthy, the Jets will be 10-6 with Vick Starting.

Mike Vick played in 16 games in a season once in his entire career. He completed over 60% of his passes once, throwing to the likes of DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek, and LeSean McCoy. He won't have that kind of talent around him here (especially, but not limited to, the RB as leading receiver), and he's older and more likely to break than ever before.

Oh, and he tortured and killed dogs.

But that last little tidbit aside, you WAY OVERRATE this guy.

Mike Vick played in 16 games in a season once in his entire career. He completed over 60% of his passes once, throwing to the likes of DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek, and LeSean McCoy. He won't have that kind of talent around him here (especially, but not limited to, the RB as leading receiver), and he's older and more likely to break than ever before.

Oh, and he tortured and killed dogs.

But that last little tidbit aside, you WAY OVERRATE this guy.

If we are to believe the rhetoric, on this board, and watch the FA's and DRAFT picks, this team and IDZIK is planning to aquire on the offensive side of the ball like these names everyday: Maclin, Sanders, Johnson, Graham, Evans, Benjamin, Carey, Ebron, Beckham, and the list goes on and on, then I think Mike Vick will have plenty of weapons when he comes here.

Also, I am not one that believe's like so many others that our weapons were so poor, as they were made poor by the guy slinging it. Add a couple pieces to what we already have, and Mike Vick, IF he stays healthy would have 4000 yards and 25 tds easy, and probably rush for 500.

If we are to believe the rhetoric, on this board, and watch the FA's and DRAFT picks, this team and IDZIK is planning to aquire on the offensive side of the ball like these names everyday: Maclin, Sanders, Johnson, Graham, Evans, Benjamin, Carey, Ebron, Beckham, and the list goes on and on, then I think Mike Vick will have plenty of weapons when he comes here.

Also, I am not one that believe's like so many others that our weapons were so poor, as they were made poor by the guy slinging it. Add a couple pieces to what we already have, and Mike Vick, IF he stays healthy would have 4000 yards and 25 tds easy, and probably rush for 500.

The most yards Vick has ever thrown for in hs entire career is 3303, the most TDs he's ever throw for is 21, and the last (and only) time he played a 16 game season was in 2006.

But yeah, sure, yours is a very realistic projection.

The most yards Vick has ever thrown for in hs entire career is 3303, the most TDs he's ever throw for is 21, and the last (and only) time he played a 16 game season was in 2006.

But yeah, sure, yours is a very realistic projection.

Great stats actually if you provide his rushing numbers that I notice you conveniently left out. What were his RUSHING NUMBERS in the year you provided? including Rushing TDS? Those numbers, as I'm sure you are aware are all included in the TQBR stat.

Great stats actually if you provide his rushing numbers that I notice you conveniently left out. What were his RUSHING NUMBERS in the year you provided? including Rushing TDS? Those numbers, as I'm sure you are aware are all included in the TQBR stat.

Dude, you projected 4000 yards and 25 TDs passing (EASY, you said) numbers he's never come close to in his entire career. His best year was comfortably padded with a starting RB who doubled as his leading receiver. The Jets starting RB can't catch a pass. But he's gonna come here and stay healthy for only the second time as a professional, and he's gonna have the best year by far as a pro because... why?

Oh, and those "great stats actually"? Mark Sanchez did better in 2011 with 3474 yards and 26 TDs.

Vick's a scumbag who sucks.

Dude, you projected 4000 yards and 25 TDs passing (EASY, you said) numbers he's never come close to in his entire career. His best year was comfortably padded with a starting RB who doubled as his leading receiver. The Jets starting RB can't catch a pass. But he's gonna come here and stay healthy for only the second time as a professional, and he's gonna have the best year by far as a pro because... why?

Oh, and those "great stats actually"? Mark Sanchez did better in 2011 with 3474 yards and 26 TDs.

Rushing numbers?

Rushing numbers?

In steady decline. He had four rushing TDs, total, in the last three years combined. Geno Smith had 6 as a rookie. You know, if you want to supplement your ridiculous expectations for Scumbag Vick with rushing totals.

Should Jeremy Maclin sign with the Eagles or the Jets?

on February 08, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Should Jeremy Maclin sign with the Eagles or the Jets?

It is looking more and more like Jeremy Maclin will hit the free agency market, and when he does, it sounds like the New York Jets will be interested. They won't be the only team in Maclin though.

When Maclin was cleaning out his locker last month, he admitted that the Eagles and his agent were talking, meaning a deal could still happen. That is good news for Maclin, as having two teams -- and maybe more -- bid for his services will only drive up his price.

When deciding what team to sign with, however, Maclin needs to think about more than money. This is a critical year for Maclin, and what team he picks will play a huge role in what kind of season he has.

So if it does come down to the Jets and the Eagles, which team should Maclin sign with?

Why Maclin Should Sign with the Eagles:

Next season is going to be the biggest of Maclin's career, as he will have to prove he is a top-notch wideout after missing all of last season with a torn ACL. Getting back into game shape and adjusting to being back on the field will be tough enough without having to acclimate to an entire new team, city, and offense -- which he would with the Jets.

Maclin has been with the Eagles his entire career, and spent all of last season learning Chip Kelly's offense. By staying in Philadelphia, he gets to stay with the same doctors, the same players, and the same coaches -- allowing him to focus completely on having a bounce back season.

In addition to being comfortable, there should be plenty of chances for Maclin to touch the ball in the Eagles offense. Kelly's offense was one of the best in the NFL last season, and everyone got the chance to put up big numbers -- so even if Maclin's role won't be completely clear next season, that doesn't mean he won't have a chance to prove he is back.

Why Maclin Should Sign with the Jets:

Familiarity and an explosive offense is one thing, but nothing trumps being the top dog.

In New York, Maclin would likely be the top option in the passing game, giving him a chance he never had before in his career -- the opportunity to show he has what it takes to be a true No. 1 wideout. Even in Philadelphia, when Maclin was healthy, he still second fiddle to DeSean Jackson. In New York, the offense would likely try to get Maclin the ball, and he will be working with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who coached Maclin in Philadelphia. That is something that won't happen in Philadelphia, where the ball is spread out.

Taking on that big of a role in the first year back from an injury is a risk --especially with Geno Smith and the Jets 31st ranked passing offense. It could, however, be the most lucrative.

If Maclin goes to New York and has a breakout season, the big pay day he was hoping to earn last season will come. There is no denying that things might be easier in Philadelphia, where points come in bunches. The ceiling, however is higher in New York -- both on the field and off it.

Follow Eliot Shorr-Parks on Twitter at @EliotShorrParks

I would think the signing of Mike Vick can also make him lean our way along with a fat contract.

Chris Ivory has caught 5 passes in his entire career. 

I don't think he'll keep his pace like he had last season but he has good playmakers and a decent offensive line. Even with regression he's still much better than Geno.

Regression for Geno too! That one's a little rough but I'm someone pretty sold on Geno. Believe me, it scars my soul that he didn't come out as a rookie kicking ass and taking names, but I saw plenty of good. I'm only on the "get some QB competition" wagon because it's almost obligatory. 1st and then 2nd year QB backed up by Matt Simms isn't a good situation unless you're talking Andrew Luck. 

Foles and Kelly are better than geno and mm

It's the NFL so that can go away pretty fast. It'll stick because that's the latest and greatest and it's got the whole offseason, but that doesn't exactly explain Foles' run. Nothing does unless the assumption is that he's going to be a historically great QB, not something I would count on (and I liked Foles before it was cool). 

Anyway, it's not worth the potential debate - but there is merit to what I'm saying. Young QBs, and even established veterans, thrive with bigger targets. Not just having a TE. Look at Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers, where would they be if they didn't have rangey WRs who can go up and get the ball at the point of attack over the defenders? 

It's not like the Jets would be devoid of tall targets because their best three WRs might not be 6'2+ or whatever the line for tall is. Anyway - Roethlisberger has been throwing to short guys and Heath Miller in recent years, and Plaxico is the only tall starting WR I think he's ever worked with. 

Also, in case you haven't noticed we don't have a TE

So get one and make sure he's not 5'11". 

If the WRs are good then it reeeeeeally doesn't matter what height they are. I get the want for a big dominant WR from the TO class of size/speed, but if one isn't there that is good enough then it's not something to lose sleep over. 

If the WRs are good then it reeeeeeally doesn't matter what height they are. I get the want for a big dominant WR from the TO class of size/speed, but if one isn't there that is good enough then it's not something to lose sleep over. 

This.  

Carolina has had one really good receiver for over a decade.  They keep trying to pair him with a "size" receiver, but he's by far the best thing they have. 

This.  

Carolina has had one really good receiver for over a decade.  They keep trying to pair him with a "size" receiver, but he's by far the best thing they have. 

They did have a nice compliment at one point in Muhammad. He was there with Smith when they made the Super Bowl. That said yeah...I don't think the 2010 Giant started any large guys...The 49ers' tallest pass catcher is Davis IIRC....

Chris Ivory has caught 5 passes in his entire career.

Ah, I stand corrected. So he only needs 73 more catches to match what McCoy did for Vick in the only season he ever completed over 60% of his passes.

With Vick along some quality weapons, I would hope for 3,300 yards, 23TDs, 10 ints with 500 yards 6 TDs. Knowing Rex he'll for sure keep the ball on the ground.

Is it really reasonable to hope for a combination of Vick's best season passing and best season rushing, combined, with the Jets -and all their amazing weapons- at the age of 34?

I would submit that, no, it is not reasonable.

And even if it were (but it's still not), bringing in a scumbag like Vick to produce less thru the air than Mark Sanchez has proven capable of just seems like a really, really bad idea.

Archived