Matt Cassel is a FA

Lizard King

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speculation he could be out. Big salary no guaranteed money left and they have 2 overall.

Well, it isn't like the Rams are on the cusp.  It would be huge trade, but bigger deals have gone down.  The guy has taken a hell of a beating during his career thus far.

Because Geno developing into a solid starter OR Geno imploding resulting in the team getting a top-5 pick are both preferable options to muddling through another ~.500 season with a meh veteran QB.

I agree with you , the Jets are going to stay with Geno for 1 more year , it would be nice to have a good veteran QB to come off the bench

Because Geno developing into a solid starter OR Geno imploding resulting in the team getting a top-5 pick are both preferable options to muddling through another ~.500 season with a meh veteran QB.

It's the Jets dude. If you're really expecting that anything other than the latter might happen, you're setting yourself up for a kick in the nuts. This never ends.

I'm gonna put it out there. For $4 Million, I do this and don't think twice.

It looks like the new Jets regime is committed to a mobile QB and neither Cassell nor Shaun Hill fit the bill.  

if he's cut I'd take a look at Blaine Gabbert.   Otherwise I'd try to trade for Cousins - maybe a 3rd rd pick. 

It looks like the new Jets regime is committed to a mobile QB and neither Cassell nor Shaun Hill fit the bill.  

if he's cut I'd take a look at Blaine Gabbert.   Otherwise I'd try to trade for Cousins - maybe a 3rd rd pick.

I'd much rather take a chance with that 3rd rounder on a QB in the draft.

I'd much rather take a chance with that 3rd rounder on a QB in the draft.

one of the big mistakes the Jets made with Sanchez was never having viable competition for him.   Going into camp with Geno, Simms, and a 3rd rd pick (murray?) all but hands Geno the job.    I'd be ok with a mid-rd pick assuming the jets can also bring in competition.  The problem is that all of the available QBs are either terrible or in serious decline.    

Hey, Vikings fan here.  Came here to see a few opinions on a couple guys that I thought could potentially moving on from your team and noticed this thread.

I hate to rain on your parade, but as a Vikings fan I watched Matt Cassel this year.  The guy is no different then he was in KC.  Looks great one game, terrible the next.  And I mean no offense by this, but the talent the Vikings have on offense is much better than what the Jets have.  Cassels not a bad option as a backup, but he was set to earn almost 4 mil this year with the Vikings and had as good a chance as he'll find in the league to start.  It appears he's looking to get paid like a starter.  If I was a Jets fan, I'd probably pass on the guy

one of the big mistakes the Jets made with Sanchez was never having viable competition for him.   Going into camp with Geno, Simms, and a 3rd rd pick (murray?) all but hands Geno the job.    I'd be ok with a mid-rd pick assuming the jets can also bring in competition.  The problem is that all of the available QBs are either terrible or in serious decline.    

...which then indirectly suggests the mistake they made was playing him.  (After the mistake of drafting him).

it's rare a team brings in real competition unless you just suck so bad.   They signed Garrard last year and drafted Geno so they could move on from Sanchez.  Many people have already given up on Geno and Garrard was a stupid signing as it was and proved to be what most people assumed anyway.      They have Simms,  they Signed Quinn,   they cut Tebow,  they cut McElroy and so on.  So all the scenarios people want already happened.  And it always happens that way.  Look at the Packers.  Look at many teams around the NFL.     

The Seahawks signed Flynn, drafted Wilson, Wilson won the job, and Flynn essentially was cut.  Flynn turned out to suck so bad for the Raiders, a team who really sucks, and they dumped him.   But the Jets somehow still kept a retired Garrard around all season long.   That's the problem the Jets have and always have.  They keep players who can' t play around far too long who just waste a spot.   

If Geno isn't the guy and you know it,  you plan to dump him or just let him ride the bench.  It's not like he's some big first round pick with a huge contract.  So you draft a QB this year and find some veteran or keep Sanchez so the rookie can learn for a year.    There is no point going into a season having Geno compete for a job you dont think he can win with some scrub you signed that nobody else really wanted.      This theory where bring in Vick or Cassel or McKnown or whomever and hope next year you find a QB in the draft never makes any sense.  It's like people who imagined this year was the year the Jets would find that franchise QB in the draft.  Except the Jets wound up 8-8 and are drafting 18th.  

None of these guys are any better.   Vick has been one of the most overrated QBs in the history of the NFL and can't even play more than half a season.     And that's when he was young.  Cassel has pretty much sucked except for a nice season back in 2008.    McKnown is a career backup.      To me you either wind up like the Seahawks or you wind up like the Raiders.  The Seahawks might've gotten a bit lucky with Wilson, but they still drafted him in the third round after signing Flynn to some ridiculous contract.      And Flynn was pretty much a waste of a spot.  But if they thought Flynn was the man and if he wasn't, they could find a guy the next year,  they'd never have drafted Wilson.   And the staff thought enough of Wilson to have him compete for the job.         I would rather the Jets draft a QB in the first 3 rounds this year and have him compete with Geno & Sanchez & Simms over having this team go out and sign Vick who winds up playing 6 games and they are forced to go back to Geno.  What was the point?

Hey, Vikings fan here.  Came here to see a few opinions on a couple guys that I thought could potentially moving on from your team and noticed this thread.

I hate to rain on your parade, but as a Vikings fan I watched Matt Cassel this year.  The guy is no different then he was in KC.  Looks great one game, terrible the next.  And I mean no offense by this, but the talent the Vikings have on offense is much better than what the Jets have.  Cassels not a bad option as a backup, but he was set to earn almost 4 mil this year with the Vikings and had as good a chance as he'll find in the league to start.  It appears he's looking to get paid like a starter.  If I was a Jets fan, I'd probably pass on the guy

Thanks for the input.  I pretty much think you're right.  I'd rather wait to see if everyone else passes up on giving him starter dollars and then see if he'll take the $ he turned down from you guys.

We need to bring in a legitimate veteran and draft someone else.  As much as Cassel is lacking, it's not like there are 4 or 5 stud veteran QBs hitting free agency, all of whom are pushing each other out of the way to be the next failed Jets QB.  There's Cassel, Hill, McCown, Vick, and cutting & re-signing Sanchez for another year of national humiliation, hilarity, and blind fans who think he is a QB.  

He's had 2 good seasons (2010 technically he went to the pro bowl, though I don't know how many people had to get crossed off for him to go).  3 more seasons where he threw roughly as many picks as TDs, and 1 awful season (his last in KC).  But we're going into 2014.  2010 was a ways back.  2008 further still.  But if the team wants a veteran QB for competition who's on paper capable of starting the season, then on paper he qualifies.

Hey, Vikings fan here. Came here to see a few opinions on a couple guys that I thought could potentially moving on from your team and noticed this thread.

I hate to rain on your parade, but as a Vikings fan I watched Matt Cassel this year. The guy is no different then he was in KC. Looks great one game, terrible the next. And I mean no offense by this, but the talent the Vikings have on offense is much better than what the Jets have. Cassels not a bad option as a backup, but he was set to earn almost 4 mil this year with the Vikings and had as good a chance as he'll find in the league to start. It appears he's looking to get paid like a starter. If I was a Jets fan, I'd probably pass on the guy

Good input. Sound like someone we have on the roster now who is rehabbing a shoulder. Thank you

BTW who are you interested in on our side?

This new Jets regime you speak of committed to Geno Smith out of circumstance.  Outside of his mobility, which was partially leaned upon due to his inability to throw accurately (to our receivers), what makes you say that we need a mobile QB?

Interesting take on Gabbert. I could dig it, he tore us up this year 13/16. 

This new Jets regime you speak of committed to Geno Smith out of circumstance.  Outside of his mobility, which was partially leaned upon due to his inability to throw accurately (to our receivers), what makes you say that we need a mobile QB?

Interesting take on Gabbert. I could dig it, he tore us up this year 13/16. 

I think MM and Lee prefer mobile QBs and given the Jets struggles on offense for the last 15 years adding an extra dimension cannot hurt.  

The Jets are not going to become an explosive offense overnight, getting a couple of extra 1st downs with a mobile QB would be huge.   Unless you have a manning, brady, or brees at QB having a mobile QB is a huge advantage.    Also, in a copycat league look for more teams to emulate Seattle, SF, Carolina. 

I think MM and Lee prefer mobile QBs and given the Jets struggles on offense for the last 15 years adding an extra dimension cannot hurt.

The Jets are not going to become an explosive offense overnight, getting a couple of extra 1st downs with a mobile QB would be huge. Unless you have a manning, brady, or brees at QB having a mobile QB is a huge advantage. Also, in a copycat league look for more teams to emulate Seattle, SF, Carolina.

RG3 already blew his ACL and I think you may see more QB of that mold have similar results. IMO of course

Matt Schaub had ONE bad season.  Why isn't he in the discussion?

Exactly.  Take out last season and his QB average since becoming Houston's starter was over 90.  The guy has been steady and solid.   Schaub is a step up over Cassell.  

RG3 already blew his ACL and I think you may see more QB of that mold have similar results. IMO of course

RG3 blew out his knee because Shanahan played him with a sprained knee and the grass at Fedex field was an abomination.    He had no business being on the field when his ACL went.   

The Jets are not going to become an explosive offense overnight, getting a couple of extra 1st downs with a mobile QB would be huge.   Unless you have a manning, brady, or brees at QB having a mobile QB is a huge advantage.    Also, in a copycat league look for more teams to emulate Seattle, SF, Carolina. 

I have no idea what they prefer.  

There is: Cam Newton/Kaepernick/RGIII/Pryor mobile...and then there's Alex Smith/Tannehill/Luck mobile.  The first group have designed runs and read-option plays.  The second group are functionally mobile when plays break down.  

I have Geno in the gray area between...and would assume that coaches (in general) prefer an accurate QB who can run their offense, opposed to a run-first QB.  Which is why Pryor, (as athletic as he is) will be getting replaced this off-season despite his ability to pick up 1st downs.   

RG3 blew out his knee because Shanahan played him with a sprained knee and the grass at Fedex field was an abomination.    He had no business being on the field when his ACL went.   

Grass, Schmass.  Once a QB becomes a runner he is subject to hits the way a RB is.  Generally speaking, it's too great of a liability (both financially and strategically) to have your greatest asset taking those shots.  

When Kaepernick tucks it in and takes off, those guys aren't just trying to tackle him...they're trying to hurt him.  Taking out the opposing teams' starting QB improves your chances of winning.  Lucky for Colin, nobody has caught him yet.  But they will...and when they do the Niners will have to win with Colt McCoy under center.  (Colt McCoy passed for 13 yards last season).  

Archived