Matt Cassel is a FA

Lizard King

He is BUT I think His asking price will be exorbetent.

I think Schaub is a competitor first and foremost. I would expect him to take less to go to a place he could be the starter.... like the Jets.

Last year left a bitter taste in his mouth.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Schaub is a competitor first and foremost. I would expect him to take less to go to a place he could be the starter.... like the Jets.

Last year left a bitter taste in his mouth.

That's the most likely "Cherry", with coming to the Jets. That unless you have brain damage, that you should be able to beat out our current "triumvirate" of QB's and instantly be the starter. Schaub, wouldn't even have to "compete". I would name him the starter before the ink dried on his contract.

That's the most likely "Cherry", with coming to the Jets. That unless you have brain damage, that you should be able to beat out our current "triumvirate" of QB's and instantly be the starter. Schaub, wouldn't even have to "compete". I would name him the starter before the ink dried on his contract.

I believe the Jets would look attractive to a FA QB. Solid running game, a "D" on the cusp of being dominant, 11 draft picks and approximately $30 mil to spend on FA. We just need solid QB play. Those 8 games in a row of ick 6's really worry me.... even Geno can live up to those standards.

Mornhinweg likes to get vertical more than most WCO guys. Get him the talent and you will see plenty of aggression.

Maybe, or was that Vick just improvising with Jackson, Maclin and Celek? I like some of the shots he was taking last year until he lost complete faith in Stephen Hill. My thinking to take Cassell over Schaub is that Cassell has the stronger arm and we don't have an Andre Johnson to bail Schaub out.

Mornhinweg likes to get vertical more than most WCO guys.  Get him the talent and you will see plenty of aggression.

Perhaps.  Doesn't negate the check downs, quick slants, screens, and propensity to rely on YAC from his receivers.

2009: 40

2010: 78

2011: 48

2012: 54

^ receptions LeSean McCoy had during MM's tenure in Philadelphia.  aka checkdowns. 

2010: 66

2011: 53

2012: 40

half of 2013 (injury): 22  projected full season, 44?

^ receptions Arian Foster had from Matt Schaub.

Schaub is both, adept and accurate at completing short passes to RBs.  Giving your guys a chance to get yards opposed to taking a sack or throwing out of bounds is the exact type of upgrade we could benefit from.

To address your point specifically, it doesn't matter if MM gets vertical "more than most", Schaub is also adept at throwing the ball down the field (See: every pass Andre Johnson has caught in the last seven years).

Maybe, or was that Vick just improvising with Jackson, Maclin and Celek? I like some of the shots he was taking last year until he lost complete faith in Stephen Hill. My thinking to take Cassell over Schaub is that Cassell has the stronger arm and we don't have an Andre Johnson to bail Schaub out.

Yet. 

You don't get either one of them in my opinion.  Don't waste precious money on older QBs.  Add guys who you think can actually move the needle.  There are a lot of good QB prospects in this draft.  My goal would be to either add a stud early or to play the numbers game and add two with mid-to-late picks.

No has-beens for a rebuilding team.  Give Mornhinweg as many talented prospects to work with as you can.

He is the master of the check down. Don't be fooled.

Career average 64% completion rate and 12 YPC -- given what we have and what's available, I'lll take it.   I am not looking forward to another rookie $hitfest without having a capable veteran presence.

Are the Jets trying to build toward being a perennial contender or are they trying to win nine games next year with a journeyman quarterback?

This is exactly the reason you pass on him.  He has had two good years in the NFL and is in his 30's.

The goal is to get a QB that can win the Super Bowl.  I would rather give Geno another year than hand it over to Cassel.

This is the type of move that the Jets NEVER make with any success. The last 2 guys they did this with were Brett Favre and Jay Fiedler-both guys got hurt. The Jets will sign the Quincy Carters, Kliff Kingsburys, Patrick Ramseys of the football world and even pull a guy eating potato chips and dip off the couch (Vinny in 2005) but they just do NOT know how to make these kinds of deals work for them. Sadly, so I'm in agreement, draft another QB in May and see what Geno can do in year 2 but by all means GET RID OF SANCHEZ_please

This is exactly the reason you pass on him. He has had two good years in the NFL and is in his 30's.

The goal is to get a QB that can win the Super Bowl. I would rather give Geno another year than hand it over to Cassel.

Giving Geno another year is fine. If he beats out the competition. Not giving Geno competition is not fine. If you want to waste the 2014 season, be my guest because if Geno don't progress that's exactly what it'll be.

You don't get either one of them in my opinion. Don't waste precious money on older QBs. Add guys who you think can actually move the needle. There are a lot of good QB prospects in this draft. My goal would be to either add a stud early or to play the numbers game and add two with mid-to-late picks.

No has-beens for a rebuilding team. Give Mornhinweg as many talented prospects to work with as you can.

And that's the bottom line, really. They will obviously never say it, but Idzik is in here to rebuild. It started last year and the Cassells and Schaubs of the world probably have no chance of ever being on this roster. Which is fine, as long as we get the right QB in the draft. Remain patient

This is exactly the reason you pass on him. He has had two good years in the NFL and is in his 30's.

The goal is to get a QB that can win the Super Bowl. I would rather give Geno another year than hand it over to Cassel.

Agree with the philosophy but you really think Geno takes us to the Superbowl? Kinda seems like a dope to me.

This is exactly the reason you pass on him.  He has had two good years in the NFL and is in his 30's.

The goal is to get a QB that can win the Super Bowl.  I would rather give Geno another year than hand it over to Cassel.

Your partly right.  If you want to be in the Sweepstakes for Winston in 2015 (if he comes out) don't have veteran competition for Smith this year. 

With no fallback if Geno throws the team into reverse, which he did more often than not last season?  This team will be too good post draft/FA period to place a bet only on Geno.  Ravens won a SB with Dilfer for God's sake.  The history of the NFL has more than a few examples of journeyman QB's who led their teams deep into the playoff's and even to the SB, including one that hits close to home in 1969.  Having an experienced veteran presence does not sidetrack the longterm goal of finding a franchise QB, and there is something to be said for viable depth.  It is not either/or.

With no fallback if Geno throws the team into reverse, which he did more often than not last season? This team will be too good post draft/FA period to place a bet only on Geno. Ravens won a SB with Dilfer for God's sake. The history of the NFL has more than a few examples of journeyman QB's who led their teams deep into the playoff's and even to the SB, including one that hits close to home in 1969. Having an experienced veteran presence does not sidetrack the longterm goal of finding a franchise QB, and there is something to be said for viable depth. It is not either/or.

Great post

With no fallback if Geno throws the team into reverse, which he did more often than not last season?  This team will be too good post draft/FA period to place a bet only on Geno.  Ravens won a SB with Dilfer for God's sake.  The history of the NFL has more than a few examples of journeyman QB's who led their teams deep into the playoff's and even to the SB, including one that hits close to home in 1969.  Having an experienced veteran presence does not sidetrack the longterm goal of finding a franchise QB, and there is something to be said for viable depth.  It is not either/or.

If the question is, who is the better backup Matt Simms or Matt Cassel, then yes Cassel is a great addition.  Unfortunately with the state of the NFL, I think Cassel won't be signing for backup money.  That is my problem, I don't want to give a big contract to a guy like Cassel.

Giving Geno another year is fine. If he beats out the competition. Not giving Geno competition is not fine. If you want to waste the 2014 season, be my guest because if Geno don't progress that's exactly what it'll be.

Cassel isn't signing a one year 4 million dollar deal.  That is the bigger issue here.

If the question is, who is the better backup Matt Simms or Matt Cassel, then yes Cassel is a great addition.  Unfortunately with the state of the NFL, I think Cassel won't be signing for backup money.  That is my problem, I don't want to give a big contract to a guy like Cassel.

Who knows?  Cassel has shown that he can play -- 2010 was not only a good year, it was a great year by any metric. And he had a similar year with the Pats.  Up and down?  Yes.  But at least the "up" is there.  I'll take that.  I like Simms, but there is no body of work and no way to know what he will do over the long haul.  Is he Ratliff redux?  Again, who knows?  We need a legit contingency plan.

I am not married to the idea of signing Cassel -- since Schaub entered the conversation, he would be my first choice by a wide margin.  

I am just sick and tired of handing the starting job to young mooks who hold the team back, when an average NFL QB who does not kill the team with bonehead play keeps us competitive.  Not every young QB is ready to start and, clearly, Sanchez and Geno were not ready to start.  Yet we hand them the reins with no veteran back up who is actually capable of playing.  When have we had a legitimate competition with fully ambulatory players in recent years?  

And to those who say just give the job to Geno and if he bombs we will look forward to a top-5 pick, this team is too good as it stands now to get that high a pick. Dumbski thinking at its best.

Who knows?  Cassel has shown that he can play -- 2010 was not only a good year, it was a great year by any metric. And he had a similar year with the Pats.  Up and down?  Yes.  But at least the "up" is there.  I'll take that.  I like Simms, but there is no body of work and no way to know what he will do over the long haul.  Is he Ratliff redux?  Again, who knows?

Since Schaub entered the conversation, he would be my first choice by a wide margin.  

I am just sick and tired of handing the starting job to young mooks who hold the team back, when an average NFL QB who does not kill the team with bonehead play makes us competitive.  Not every young QB is ready to start and, clearly, Sanchez and Geno were not ready to start.  Yet we hand them the reins with no veteran back up who is actually capable of playing.  When have we had a legitimate competition with fully ambulatory players in recent years?  

And to those who say just give the job to Geno and if he bombs we will look forward to a top-5 pick, this team is too good as it stands now to get that high a pick.  Dumbski thinking at its best.

I definitely don't want Geno to be handed anything.  I am very much in favor with the veteran QB to come in and compete.  The NFL is so crazy though I just fear it will take a 20 million dollar plus contract to land Cassel.  I am afraid of a Matt Flynn kind of situation.

Archived