Tony Sparano Jr - Offensive Assistant

Maxman

The New York Jets have added Tony Sparano Jr. as an offensive assistant and named Eric Smith as a seasonal intern.  The announcement was just made by Eric Allen on Twitter.

Sparano Jr. was brought in by his father as a coaching intern, but he stayed with the organization after his Dad was fired.  Here is the story from last year when Sparano Jr. was originally retained.

When Rex Ryan fired Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator in January, he knew he would have to have an uncomfortable conversation — not with Sparano, but with his son, Tony Sparano Jr.

Sparano Jr. had served under his father with the 2012 Jets as a coaching intern. Now, Ryan was firing Sparano Sr., but he wanted Sparano Jr. to stay with the Jets.

“I’m not going to lie, there was some awkwardness,” Ryan said recently, “but I knew I wanted to keep him.”

The conversation was a success, and Sparano Jr. stayed with the Jets despite his father’s dismissal. The 26-year-old is one of the few reminders around the 2013 Jets of his father’s one year as the team’s offensive coordinator.

Here is a thread on from the JetNation forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
7Q3o6yiaOV4

View the full article

Via Eric Allen on Twitter:

The Jets have promoted Tony Sparano Jr. to Offensive Assistant + hired former S Eric Smith as a Seasonal Intern. pic.twitter.com/LfWDSew6Ff

The reason Eric Smith got on the field in the first place, was that the coaching staff considered it like putting a coach on the field. He wasn't great physically, but this is a sensible transition for him. I wish him the best.

As for Sparano Jr., good for him. Gotta work your way up.

Oh for ****'s sake.  This better be some sort of twisted early April Fools joke.

The junior version of the only OC worse than Schitty to go along with the most uncoordinated living creature to ever step foot onto a football field.  Oh joy.

Take a step back. These are assistant and intern positions... you sound like a complete tit acting as if the fate of this organization hangs in the balance now.

Dumbo Jr. is still with the Jets ?  Rex likes him ?

Who cares ?  Dumbo carries footballs and moves Rex's truck when his food delivery

convoy arrives.  Rex wants to win a championship with a terrible OC, so he can say

it was defensive team.  Dumbo Jr, is the perfect OC for Rex, good thing Geno can run

both for long yardage and goal line, with the twin Dumbos, he will need to.

Take a step back. These are assistant and intern positions... you sound like a complete tit acting as if the fate of this organization hangs in the balance now.

Yeah, that was a little dramatic.

Btw Smith was a good athlete by the combine/pro day stuff, he just wasn't excessively good at football. We've heard for a long time that hes smart and knew his role even if he was mediocre at best executing it. How often do good players make good coaches anyway?

I'm actually liking this little influx of young coaching talent lately.

Yeah, that was a little dramatic.

Btw Smith was a good athlete by the combine/pro day stuff, he just wasn't excessively good at football. We've heard for a long time that hes smart and knew his role even if he was mediocre at best executing it. How often do good players make good coaches anyway?

I'm actually liking this little influx of young coaching talent lately.

Agreed. There's never anything wrong with developing young coaches, the same way you would young players.

Dumbo Jr. is still with the Jets ?  Rex likes him ?

Who cares ?  Dumbo carries footballs and moves Rex's truck when his food delivery

convoy arrives.  Rex wants to win a championship with a terrible OC, so he can say

it was defensive team.  Dumbo Jr, is the perfect OC for Rex, good thing Geno can run

both for long yardage and goal line, with the twin Dumbos, he will need to.

No matter how many times you say Dumbo, it's not gonna stick. 

Thanks for the advice, but I promise you, I really couldn't give less of a sh*t and frankly didn't expect anyone else to take it particularly seriously.  It was just random jabs at a couple of nobodies, I figured you of all people would get that.  Sorry it got you so worked up.

Thanks for the advice, but I promise you, I really couldn't give less of a sh*t and frankly didn't expect anyone else to take it particularly seriously.  It was just random jabs at a couple of nobodies, I figured you of all people would get that.  Sorry it got you so worked up.

Yeah, I'm definitely the one that is coming across as worked up. LOL

When you get into lecture-mode over stupid crap like this you kind of do.

Oh, almost forgot: LOL

Lecture mode? WTF you talking about? I told you step back from the ledge or whatever, I think it was one level headed sentence.

Stop acting like you got kicked in the pussy, you were being a drama queen and were called on it. Laugh and accept it. Don't embarrass yourself.

I haven't seen you this bitter in a while... it's hard to quit you, when you are like this.

Nah, not bitter at all.  I was just curious to see how many posts you would spend on little ole me.  After all, I know it doesn't really take much to get another response out of you (yeah I know, pot meet kettle).  Wasn't sure which would come first though, whether you would get bored with the whole thing or come to realize that you'd gone on much longer about me than I had about those two bozos.

Nah, not bitter at all.  I was just curious to see how many posts you would spend on little ole me.  After all, I know it doesn't really take much to get another response out of you (yeah I know, pot meet kettle).  Wasn't sure which would come first though, whether you would get bored with the whole thing or come to realize that you'd gone on much longer about me than I had about those two bozos.

You are trying way too hard to flip this around to an 'ape issue'. I'm always up for a good volley of last word, whatever you are trying to "prove" is pretty much common knowledge. 

Just admit you over-reacted and now you are being salty about it, geez... you're acting as if my initial reply to you was malicious, all I did was say something positive about the situation. Calm the eff down already.

You are trying way too hard to flip this around to an 'ape issue'. I'm always up for a good volley of last word, whatever you are trying to "prove" is pretty much common knowledge. 

Just admit you over-reacted and now you are being salty about it, geez... you're acting as if my initial reply to you was malicious, all I did was say something positive about the situation. Calm the eff down already.

Oh, is that was this is all about?  You need some sort of concession?  Ha, no thanks, I'm good.

It wasn't malicious, never said it was, but it still was you making a bigger fuss over something that was meant as nothing more than me taking an opportunity to sh*t on Eric Smith, which is hardly new.  Hate to break it to you, everything from the claims of "acting as if the fate of this organization hangs in the balance" to "acting as if my initial reply to you was malicious" is really only in your own head.  You just took some random bullsh*t post from me far too seriously.  At this point I promise you that the rest of this board thinks we both look like horses ass that we're still actually carrying on with this nonsense, no matter how righteous you think you are.

Archived