Idzik and FA's

Schmidt

I really don't think the Jets will be going after the High Priced FA's...just Idzik's history. I believe the Jets will go after mid-level FA's and look to create as much compitition as possible!

Idzik really has no history except last year, and he had no money then.

With that said I don't think the Jets will be real active in acquiring high priced FA's.  Their not one player away from being a SB contender 

Idzik really has no history except last year, and he had no money then.

With that said I don't think the Jets will be real active in acquiring high priced FA's.  Their not one player away from being a SB contender 

Exactly.  In this FA period, we will see the Jets use the quantity over quality approach.  It is well documented that with all of the trading of draft picks our previous GM did, we ended up with a roster that lacked a lot in depth.  The money available this offseason will be used to fill some of those voids that have been missing over the last few seasons, and allow us to go BAP with our draft this spring.  

Another one of these threads?

What history? What history are we talking about? Everyone is losing their damn minds over this issue, I don't get it. It's gotta be some kind of reactionary anti-Tannenbaum stance, I don't know what else it is.

Whenever anyone says this, no one will ever answer why they think Idzik is like this, they just keep repeating that he is, but where is the evidence?

Anyone know how much money can be carried over to 2015? I can't see us spending all this money and if we can carry over a sizeable amount, there are better FA W/R available next year. Would also help us next year in signing MO.
Brandon Marshall Bears
Roddy White Falcons
Wes Welker Broncos
Reggie Wayne Colts
Michael Crabtree 49ers
AJ Green Bengals
Eddie Royal Chargers
Nate Washington Titans
Jordy Nelson Packers
Dez Bryant
Demarius Thomas
Torrey Smith
Randall Cobb
Cecil Shorts

Anyone know how much money can be carried over to 2015? I can't see us spending all this money and if we can carry over a sizeable amount, there are better FA W/R available next year. Would also help us next year in signing MO.

Brandon Marshall Bears

Roddy White Falcons

Wes Welker Broncos

Reggie Wayne Colts

Michael Crabtree 49ers

AJ Green Bengals

Eddie Royal Chargers

Nate Washington Titans

Jordy Nelson Packers

Dez Bryant

Demarius Thomas

Torrey Smith

Randall Cobb

Cecil Shorts

Wow, this year's crop is pitiful.

Brandon Marshall Bears

Roddy White Falcons

Wes Welker Broncos

Reggie Wayne Colts

Michael Crabtree 49ers

AJ Green Bengals

Eddie Royal Chargers

Nate Washington Titans

Jordy Nelson Packers

Dez Bryant

Demarius Thomas

Torrey Smith

Randall Cobb

Cecil Shorts

That is some list- some will be franchised but still 

That is some list- some will be franchised but still 

I don't know if the Cowboys ($22 mil OVER cap) can afford Dez next year. Roddy is probably done in Atl. and Broncos can't afford Welker and Thomas... meaning Welker goes. Nelson and Cobb could be tough to keep as well(especially with Boykin playing so well).

I just want Maclin through FA if that's cool with everyone.

Very cool. Philly is @ $127 mil for 2014. Doubt they can offer Maclin much.

Give me Dez next year.

I don't know if the Cowboys ($22 mil OVER cap) can afford Dez next year. Roddy is probably done in Atl. and Broncos can't afford Welker and Thomas... meaning Welker goes. Nelson and Cobb could be tough to keep as well(especially with Boykin playing so well).

Looking at the Dallas Cowboys’ Alarming Cap Mess

Proclaiming that the Dallas Cowboys have salary cap issues is no revelation.  But while Jerry Jones’ problems with the cap have been well documented, the Cowboys’ cap mess is more alarming than people realize.

Actions carry consequences in all marks of life.  Although shortsighted front office-men sometimes operate without regard to this principle, the NFL salary cap is not an exception to this rule.

The 2014 league year begins on Tuesday March 11 at 4pm ET.  At this point, all clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap—a figure not yet officially announced but projected to be around $126,300,000.

I really don't think the Jets will be going after the High Priced FA's...just Idzik's history. I believe the Jets will go after mid-level FA's and look to create as much compitition as possible!

Idzik's history is one season, in which he used free agency to plug some holes, but did so with the ultimate goal of re-establishing cap space and garnering comp picks for the players we lost via FA. 

In other words, there's really no established history to go on. All we've seen in one off-season in which Idzik was repairing the cap, trying to position us for a good 2014 draft and working with the previous GM's scouting department.

Very cool. Philly is @ $127 mil for 2014. Doubt they can offer Maclin much.

Give me Dez next year.

Looking at the Dallas Cowboys’ Alarming Cap Mess

Proclaiming that the Dallas Cowboys have salary cap issues is no revelation.  But while Jerry Jones’ problems with the cap have been well documented, the Cowboys’ cap mess is more alarming than people realize.

Actions carry consequences in all marks of life.  Although shortsighted front office-men sometimes operate without regard to this principle, the NFL salary cap is not an exception to this rule.

The 2014 league year begins on Tuesday March 11 at 4pm ET.  At this point, all clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap—a figure not yet officially announced but projected to be around $126,300,000.

I will guarantee you there's no way that Dez gets away from the 'Boys, same way as Graham will not get away from the Saints. You do not let elite talent leave your team, you make room.  They can restructure Romo and Brandon Carr as well as cut Miles Austin and save about $16 million this season alone. If they were really serious, they could either restructure or flat-out cut Demarcus Ware and his bloated $16 and $17 million dollar cap hit in 2014 and 2015, respectively.  I'd love Dez, but there's just no way he's going to not be a cowboy.  

idzik the legend. history has proved this. for crying out loud

We've seen this year in and year out in almost every single sport; more often than not, the teams that win in the off-season, are rarely the ones winning in the regular season.  Free agency is a suckers market most of the time with teams that end up paying for past performance and not future performance.

Personally, I don't think Idzik is going to be going after many high-priced free agents, because usually the value isn't there. The only player that's at the top of his position that I think is a possible signing is Byrd, if he hits the market.  Goldson and Weddle are making about $8 mill per year and that's what I would imagine it'd take to sign Byrd. At $8 million per, that'd be about $6 more per year than you'd be paying Landry or the other veteran retreads we continue to bring in. I think Byrd's impact next to Allen, would be markedly higher than what Decker would bring. 

Archived