Trade up to grab both Watkins and Ebron?

SouthernJet

I would trade up for Watkins before I'd trade up for Ebron, not for both as the cost would be too prohibitive.  Personally, I prefer ASJ to Ebron, so I wouldn't trade up for him regardless.   I also don't like the idea of trading any picks next year with the possibility of Winston and Mariota coming out and the slim chance that we're bad enough to take advantage.  

Since our team is so talent-barren, I don't like the idea of trading away picks anyway, but if we had to, I'd choose Watkins over Ebron.

I would trade up for Watkins before I'd trade up for Ebron, not for both as the cost would be too prohibitive.  Personally, I prefer ASJ to Ebron, so I wouldn't trade up for him regardless.   I also don't like the idea of trading any picks next year with the possibility of Winston and Mariota coming out and the slim chance that we're bad enough to take advantage.  

Since our team is so talent-barren, I don't like the idea of trading away picks anyway, but if we had to, I'd choose Watkins over Ebron.

At this point I'd take Ebron over watkins since Geno and his 'skill set shown to date' tells me he would use a safety net valve TE more than a deep threat. Sad statement, but true :(

For FYI, mayocks latest pre combine rankings:

Wide receiver 

1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson 

2. Marqise Lee, USC 

3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M 

4. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State 

5. Jarvis Landry, LSU

Tight end 

1. Eric Ebron, North Carolina 

2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington 

3. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech 

4. Troy Niklas, Notre Dame 

5. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa

At this point I'd take Ebron over watkins since Geno and his 'skill set shown to date' tells me he would use a safety net valve TE more than a deep threat. Sad statement, but true :(

Wide receiver 

2. Marqise Lee, USC 

3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M 

5. Jarvis Landry, LSU

Tight end 

That looks about right. I'd switch the 1 and 2 spot as I've had Lee and ASJ at the top of my list, if I had a list, for the last two years now, but I don't think it really matters. I also like Jeremy Hill to be the #1 rb coming out, but I'm not entirely sure we'll be going that route in the first two rounds. 

If you're looking for a skill-set to match Geno's, Watkins would be ideal considering half his passes this past year were caught at or behind the LOS. he's just instant offense.  I think he set or came near setting the record for YAC at something like 9+ yards, which is nutty.  I only mention ASJ over Ebron because I've watched the latter a lot and I can't shake the Jason Witten comparison and that's pretty much my ideal TE.  I'm by no means a talent evaluator and if the FO thinks Ebron can in any way do what Graham or Gronk does, then he's a no-brainer at 18 over most WRs, especially for a young QB. 

I disagree with that, because actually deep completion % was one of the skills that Geno graded out best in last season.

Wide receiver 

2. Marqise Lee, USC 

3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M 

5. Jarvis Landry, LSU

Tight end 

I think the whole "Geno's skillset" thing is assumptive logic.

Anyway, 1st round TEs are guys you build your offense around. Safety valve TEs are role-players, and can be drafted later, or signed as journeyman FAs. IMO.

Smarter folks than I know what it would take (probably next years #1 and a 3rd round/5th round??), but would y'all be opposed to this instant infusion to receiving corps?

With our defense still Top 5, maybe worth risking next years #1?

Keep the #18, then trade up with everything else for what a top 10 pick this year?

No. *******. Thanks.

We don't have the ammo, nor would it be the act of an organization truly trying to build something from the ground up that can sustain success over time.

Keep the #18, then trade up with everything else for what a top 10 pick this year?

No. *******. Thanks.

We don't have the ammo, nor would it be the act of an organization truly trying to build something from the ground up that can sustain success over time.

I agree, plus Idzik does not strike me as the "moving up" type. He has clearly stated on several occasions how much he values every pick. He saw what could be done in those late rounds with SEA. Just don't see us trading up.  

I disagree with that, because actually deep completion % was one of the skills that Geno graded out best in last season.

Defensive Xs/Os reason why: because they were stacking the line to stop the run and daring him to throw. that will change as we improve run game and geno improves with route recognition.

Stats are deceiving, like a team with no defense and always behind saying they have great passing attack..well they are always throwing cause they are behind and teams far ahead are in Prevent Ds in 4th Qtr. 

Geno is horrid right now in finding 2nd/3rd WR after Primary WR covered. He needs a safety valve close to LOS real BAD.

Defensive Xs/Os reason why: because they were stacking the line to stop the run and daring him to throw. that will change as we improve run game and geno improves with route recognition.

Stats are deceiving, like a team with no defense and always behind saying they have great passing attack..well they are always throwing cause they are behind and teams far ahead are in Prevent Ds in 4th Qtr. 

Geno is horrid right now in finding 2nd/3rd WR after Primary WR covered. He needs a safety valve close to LOS real BAD.

In the offensive system the Jets run I honestly think the biggest missing piece is a RB who can run, catch, and make plays in space, and in between the tackles like McCoy, and Charles. With a healthy Kerley, Nelson, and a decent FA signing, and throw in a 3rd round WR the Jets could be more than fine at WR IF they can find a McCoy/Charles type of RB, and their will be POSSIBLE options at various levels of this draft starting in RD 2-3 with Kareem Cary, and Bishop Sankey, and then in the 4-6 range with DeAnthony Thomas, and Dri Archer. I think the Jets would be stupid not coming out of this draft with at least one of these type of backs (including some I didn't list like Sims from WV, and I'm sure a couple others).

In the offensive system the Jets run I honestly think the biggest missing piece is a RB who can run, catch, and make plays in space, and in between the tackles like McCoy, and Charles. With a healthy Kerley, Nelson, and a decent FA signing, and throw in a 3rd round WR the Jets could be more than fine at WR IF they can find a McCoy/Charles type of RB, and their will be POSSIBLE options at various levels of this draft starting in RD 2-3 with Kareem Cary, and Bishop Sankey, and then in the 4-6 range with DeAnthony Thomas, and Dri Archer. I think the Jets would be stupid not coming out of this draft with at least one of these type of backs (including some I didn't list like Sims from WV, and I'm sure a couple others).

agree, a RB who can catch, aka Gio Bernard or a TE w/Jimmy Graham, Ebron type skills would help Gio immensily. I dont see trhe RB like that worth a pick at 18, but Ebron is IMHO. But what do I know :)

agree, a RB who can catch, aka Gio Bernard or a TE w/Jimmy Graham, Ebron type skills would help Gio immensily. I dont see trhe RB like that worth a pick at 18, but Ebron is IMHO. But what do I know :)

No there isn't a RB worth the 18th pick, and my point was the Jets can fill their biggest offensive hole in the mid rounds, and TE is not a position of great importance in the Jets system so they can use pick 18 on a BAP foundation spot like pass rusher, Can't miss OL, CB (if Cro is not retained this becomes a position of need like it or not), or even a QB if one slips to 18 unexpectedly.

Archived