Geno Working Out Down at IMG Academy

BroadwayJoe12

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/35682/geno-heads-to-florida-works-with-qb-guru?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Geno Smith prepared for the NFL scouting combine by working out with quarterback guru Chris Weinke at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. A year later, Smith is taking the same approach to his offseason. 

Smith
The New York Jets' quarterback was seen Monday at IMG, working in a private session with Weinke, IMG's director of football operations. You probably remember Weinke as the former Heisman Trophy winner from Florida State. Smith has been working with Weinke in recent days, trying to stay sharp and fine-tuning his throwing mechanics. Weinke also is tutoring Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, one of the top prospects in the upcoming draft. 

If you're a Jets fan, it's always encouraging to hear your quarterback is working on his own in an effort to improve. Smith "has come a million miles" from the start of his rookie season, Rex Ryan said recently, but it's obvious that he still has a ways to go. The Jets' offseason program doesn't begin until early April, so Smith is taking a proactive approach as he prepares for his second season. 

At least he's not in New Jersey, stuck inside because of the winter weather. 

A year ago, Smith went into the combine thinking he had a chance to be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. In an interview at IMG last February, he told USA Today, "I feel like I am the best" quarterback in the draft "and [given] what I've done up until this point, I do have a case for being the No. 1 overall pick." 

Obviously, it didn't turn out that way. Smith fell to 39th, but he ended up starting every game. Now he waits as the Jets embark on an offseason in which they're likely to add a quarterback.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Say what you will about him, but it's always good to see players putting in work on their own.  Working out down at IMG is a significant difference between the cupcake and tickle party that was Jets' West. It's at least an encouraging sign.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when is MR Weinke considered a guru?

LOL

Hey look at the great job he did with Smith last year

IMG Academy is extremely legit, I didn't know until today that Weinke and Madden took over football operations a couple of years back. I know Weinke's worked with Cam, Josh Freeman and most recently Teddy Bridgewater, but most importantly it just shows Geno is serious about getting better.  Just because he was a Heisman winner who didn't translate to the NFL, doesn't mean he can't be a good coach.  Lombardi was a decent lineman at Fordham, that didn't stop him from being one of the best ever.

LOL

Hey look at the great job he did with Smith last year

He went back to the organization and Guru that got him drafted 39, and had the projected #1 pick drop the farthest of any QB projected to be the #1 pick?

Somehow, I doubt Teddy, Johnny, or Blake will be headed to IMG and Weinke.

Does IMG compensate Smith the 4 million dollars he lost from dropping from #1 to #39?

He went back to the organization and Guru that got him drafted 39, and had the projected #1 pick drop the farthest of any QB projected to be the #1 pick?

Somehow, I doubt Teddy, Johnny, or Blake will be headed to IMG and Weinke.

Does IMG compensate Smith the 4 million dollars he lost from dropping from #1 to #39?

Teddy is currently training with Weinke at IMG as we speak. Cam, who went #1 overall and is one of the more promising young QBs in the league, went to IMG and trained with Weinke.  

Teddy is currently training with Weinke at IMG as we speak. Cam, who went #1 overall and is one of the more promising young QBs in the league, went to IMG and trained with Weinke.

Interesting. Cam went #1, Teddy will go top 5 and possibly #1, and Geno dropped like my Flounder sinker I used at Captree. Hmmm..wonder why?

Interesting. Cam went #1, Teddy will go top 5 and possibly #1, and Geno dropped like my Flounder sinker I used at Captree. Hmmm..wonder why?

Because he wasn't as good as Cam Newton was in 2011 or the prospects currently on the board in 2013.  Also, Geno did not drop anywhere. The consensus rankings were not by the general managers of the NFL, they were done by internet scouts and draftniks who were the same people who had Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib going in the top 10 for the majority of the year. By and large, players get picked where their value is to teams in the NFL. 

IMG Academy is extremely legit, I didn't know until today that Weinke and Madden took over football operations a couple of years back. I know Weinke's worked with Cam, Josh Freeman and most recently Teddy Bridgewater, but most importantly it just shows Geno is serious about getting better.  Just because he was a Heisman winner who didn't translate to the NFL, doesn't mean he can't be a good coach.  Lombardi was a decent lineman at Fordham, that didn't stop him from being one of the best ever.

Jesus does he have jungle fever or something.

Because he wasn't as good as Cam Newton was in 2011 or the prospects currently on the board in 2013.  Also, Geno did not drop anywhere. The consensus rankings were not by the general managers of the NFL, they were done by internet scouts and draftniks who were the same people who had Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib going in the top 10 for the majority of the year. By and large, players get picked where their value is to teams in the NFL.

Those same "draftniks" had Cam going #1, he did, they had Luck going #1 he did, they had Geno going #1, he dropped like a Fluke sinker in the Great Peconic bay. Hmmm..........

Those same "draftniks" had Cam going #1, he did, they had Luck going #1 he did, they had Geno going #1, he dropped like a Fluke sinker in the Great Peconic bay. Hmmm..........

The colts made it obvious with luck, and Cam was a given.

Every year the names poor in till it looks more and obvious.

Don't forget last year they were naming about 3 qb's and eddie lacy as 1st rounders.

Don't forget last year they were naming about 3 qb's and eddie lacy as 1st rounders.

Don't compare luck and newton to smith it's night and day those 2 are some of the best young talent in the league . Smith is far from that. !!'

And now the draftniks are saying Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles TOP 10, and possibly add Carr and you have at least 4 predicted in the 1st round. Do you think they are wrong on this? Because if it happens, then really, the only one they were wrong on was by coincidence, the guy the JETS took. Genious.

Don't compare luck and newton to smith it's night and day those 2 are some of the best young talent in the league . Smith is far from that. !!'

i'm referring to the draft, if you talk TALENT smith has GREAT TALENT. But you are talking success! Not TALENT. and success relies on a successful franchise genius.

Btw, luck had reggie wayne, cam had smith.

From rookies till now.

Geno had no 1.

And now the draftniks are saying Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles TOP 10, and possibly add Carr and you have at least 4 predicted in the 1st round. Do you think they are wrong on this? Because if it happens, then really, the only one they were wrong on was by coincidence, the guy the JETS took. Genious.

Only 1 way to find out, but they have been wrong with numerous picks, not mention before cam they were saying nick fairly was #1 or did you forget that genius?

Archived