Video of Ray Rice dragging unconscious gf out of AC elevator

nj meadowlands

Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel has been "texting with team officials around the NFL," and the belief around the league is that the Ravens will release Ray Rice.

We don't typically use Wetzel as a source, but his words are worth noting. Multiple team officials believe the Ravens simply "have to" release Rice after the video of him knocking out his then-fiancee in a hotel elevator in February came to light Monday. If the Ravens were to keep Rice rostered, pay him, and play him, they'd face severe backlash. Current and ex-NFL players have already taken to Twitter calling for Rice's head. There's a chance Rice may get cut and never play again.

Not surprising in the least.  

Question is :

What team will sign him under this cloud of controversy?

I think he might get blackballed for the rest of this season.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprising in the least.  

Question is :

What team will sign him under this cloud of controversy?

I think he might get blackballed for the rest of this season.

Rice wont play another down...possibly never play again. The video will always be there. He's a bad guy, probably not the worst in the league though. The guy from the Panthers, Pac Man etc...there acts weren't filmed which I guess is the threshold for tolerance.

Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel has been "texting with team officials around the NFL," and the belief around the league is that the Ravens will release Ray Rice.

We don't typically use Wetzel as a source, but his words are worth noting. Multiple team officials believe the Ravens simply "have to" release Rice after the video of him knocking out his then-fiancee in a hotel elevator in February came to light Monday. If the Ravens were to keep Rice rostered, pay him, and play him, they'd face severe backlash. Current and ex-NFL players have already taken to Twitter calling for Rice's head. There's a chance Rice may get cut and never play again.

this is a lot like the Donald Sterling situation with the Clippers.   the fact that he was caught on tape makes it an impossible situation for him to keep playing.  

Rice wont play another down...possibly never play again. The video will always be there. He's a bad guy, probably not the worst in the league though. The guy from the Panthers, Pac Man etc...there acts weren't filmed which I guess is the threshold for tolerance.

That's true.

Pac was lucky in that respect since he was able to continue playing.

But the Court of Public Opinion is a very powerful thing and no team is going to want to have anything to do with Ray Rice ever again because, as you said, the video will ALWAYS be there.

Stop. He'll be playing by next season at the latest as long as Goodell doesnt give him some kind of 2 year ban or something.

I'm still not sure what is different now that the tape is out though. We all already knew this. 

You really think NFL Fans would tolerate their team signing a player who has VIDEO of him hitting a woman on their team?

It would be a PR NIGHTMARE that I don't think any team(even the Raiders) would want.

I'm still not sure what is different now that the tape is out though. We all already knew this. 

That's what I keep getting stuck on, the video doesn't show anything worse that he was previously reported for and judged on.

I was expecting to see the video and be shocked and I wasn't.  What he did was awful, he deserves whatever punishment law enforcement chooses to give, I am just not understanding what makes the release of the video any different than what we heard/read months ago.  Seems like a bit of a witch hunt to me.

SAR I

So if I say I don't condone what he did, you're basically saying that I'm lying then.

It's not a qualifier. It's FACT. I never hit women. I never will hit women.

I can have a different opinion and not be labelled a Wife-Beater or a Wife-Beater Apologist.

And no. I'm NOT nor was EVER "Victim-Blaming". I'm sorry but you're reading too much into things I've said that just aren't there.

Actually I did but I guess I shouldn't have said what I said in regards to opinions or what-not.

Didn't realize it would make people upset. My apologies for that.

It's really quite simple... If you venture to discuss what she did leading up to the assault, then you acknowledge that there are varying degrees that make his actions more or less justified, depending on hers. For instance, maybe she was harassing him all day long vs. maybe she made one comment. Once you decide that it matters, you, perhaps unintentionally, put qualifiers on his actions too.

As for Matt's comments, lack of ability/desire to understand and lack of logic are not synonymous.

Tweets from some current and former players:

That man should be thrown out the the nfl and thrown into jail. Shame on those deciding his punishment. Smh

If there's anyway to open that case up and give this guy the punishment he deserves, it NEEDS to be done.

As players we must speak up. Stand up for what's right. I don't give a damn who u are or how much money you make. No place for this.

This video makes me sick to my stomach.

As players we always speak on how we are unfairly treated, well now what?

Follo
NFL players want to stand up for some shat, don't play against Ravens until Rice is suspended indefinitely. What if that was YOUR daughter?
Ok commissioner, now that the evidence w/RayRice has surfaced.Here is your chance 2 right a wrong&prove your serious about Domestic Violence
Am I the only one who believes it should be a lifetime ban for the first time a player commits domestic violence? They should be done period
Watched Ray Rice Video. As a man I am disgusted. As former NFL player I am ashamed by handling of this by the league. Despicable.
Looks like the Ravens' strategy of "MOVE ALONG FOLKS, RAY RICE'S WIFE IS SORRY SHE GOT BEATEN" might not have been the best choice.
@nflcommish to say you got that wrong is an understatement. Very disappointed in you. Wow...unbelievable.

That's what I keep getting stuck on, the video doesn't show anything worse that he was previously reported for and judged on.

I was expecting to see the video and be shocked and I wasn't.  What he did was awful, he deserves whatever punishment law enforcement chooses to give, I am just not understanding what makes the release of the video any different than what we heard/read months ago.  Seems like a bit of a witch hunt to me.

SAR I

There is a difference between hearing about it and actually seeing it. 

You really think NFL Fans would tolerate their team signing a player who has VIDEO of him hitting a woman on their team?

It would be a PR NIGHTMARE that I don't think any team(even the Raiders) would want.

Yes, yes I do.

How long is the list of awful people who still play football? Not to get into comparisons, but our beloved JETS have a certified a$$hole as the backup QB and the amount of people who object is pretty low to be honest. 

I'm kind of confused to why this is any different from what we thought. I always thought that he knocked her out with a Floyd Mayweather type punch. This video being released doesn't changed anything for me. I thought he should be suspended longer and I thought Goodell completely botched. I don't get why now all of the sudden the Ravens think this Domestic Violence act warrants being released now, but not before. And just so I'm clear I think what he did was downright horrible. I'm not defending him in anyway, I just don't really see what has changed.

It's really quite simple... If you venture to discuss what she did leading up to the assault, then you acknowledge that there are varying degrees that make his actions more or less justified, depending on hers. For instance, maybe she was harassing him all day long vs. maybe she made one comment. Once you decide that it matters, you, perhaps unintentionally, put qualifiers on his actions too.

As for Matt's comments, lack of ability/desire to understand and lack of logic are not synonymous.

Remember what I said about "reading too much into what I said"?   

You're still doing it.   side.gif

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vick-summary-of-facts-070824.pdf

I think Rice goes in timeout for a while but he will definitely be back in the league at some point. 

Yes, yes I do.

How long is the list of awful people who still play football? Not to get into comparisons, but our beloved JETS have a certified a$$hole as the backup QB and the amount of people who object is pretty low to be honest. 

Not to defend Vick in anyway, but he was suspended for two years, one of which he spent in prison. 

Rice got two games and a slap on the wrist. 

There is a difference between hearing about it and actually seeing it. 

I dont know.  I pictured his wife taking an upper cut and flying backwards with her feet in the air, Don Flamingo style from Mike Tyson's punch out. 

So for me, the video doesnt make it any worse. 

Yes, yes I do.

That "a$$hole", though, served time.

Ray Rice got a slap on the wrist for what we saw on that vid.

And speaking of which, Vick wasn't caught killing dogs on Video(which, imo, would've ended any chance of returning to the NFL). 

As Klecko said, it's one thing to HEAR ABOUT something.  It's completely different to actually SEE IT with your very own eyes.

I dont know.  I pictured his wife taking an upper cut and flying backwards with her feet in the air, Don Flamingo style from Mike Tyson's punch out. 

So for me, the video doesnt make it any worse. 

So a vicious left hook, thrown with clearly bad intentions, that caused her head to slam against the wall of the elevator, causing her body to go limp and collapse to the floor was not worse than what you pictured? Because what you pictured was a video game. 

So a vicious left hook, thrown with clearly bad intentions, that caused her head to slam against the wall of the elevator, causing her body to go limp and collapse to the floor was not worse than what you pictured? Because what you pictured was a video game. 

Yes. 

Video games are violent, dude.  Its really ******* up American youths.  Ray is probably a big Mike Tyson's punch out fan.  I could totally see him with the Arcade version in his man cave.

Not to defend Vick in anyway, but he was suspended for two years, one of which he spent in prison. 

Rice got two games and a slap on the wrist. 

Right. Goodell did the right thing with Vick at the time. This time he screwed the pooch so to speak.

So if I say I don't condone what he did,  you're basically saying that I'm lying then. 

It's not a qualifier.  It's FACT.  I never hit women.  I never will hit women.  

I can have a different opinion and not be labelled a Wife-Beater or a Wife-Beater Apologist.  

And no.  I'm NOT nor was EVER "Victim-Blaming".   I'm sorry but you're reading too much into things I've said that just aren't there.

Actually I did but I guess I shouldn't have said what I said in regards to opinions or what-not.  

Didn't realize it would make people upset.   My apologies for that.

I'm sorry you aren't a good communicator and are too dense to realize it—so you are blaming everyone else for "reading into things you said", rather than thinking to yourself, "wow, everyone is reacting the same way to me, maybe I might have misrepresented myself".

Yes. 

Video games are violent, dude.  Its really ******* up American youths.  Ray is probably a big Mike Tyson's punch out fan.  I could totally see him with the Arcade version in his man cave.

There is a very big difference between knocking Glass Joe on his ass or having Kocur fight Domi in NHL 94 and punching a woman. There are miillions of people who play some very violent video games and never do anything remotely as violent IRL. That is really crap. Ray Rice beat up a woman because he's thug turd POS, not because of a video game. 

That "a$$hole", though, served time.

Ray Rice got a slap on the wrist for what we saw on that vid.

And speaking of which, Vick wasn't caught killing dogs on Video(which, imo, would've ended any chance of returning to the NFL). 

As Klecko said, it's one thing to HEAR ABOUT something.  It's completely different to actually SEE IT with your very own eyes.

Maybe if you live your life by feelings. Not trying to be a dick here, but that's kind of silly.

Do I need video to know Big Ben is/was a meathead rapist? Or to know Ray Lewis is a murderer? Or to know Stallworth killed a guy drinking and driving?

What is it "Oh, now I REALLY KNOW what happened!!!" ? Come on. We all knew he knocked her out. HE as much as said so in his "apology". 

There is a very big difference between knocking Glass Joe on his ass or having Kocur fight Domi in NHL 94 and punching a woman. There are miillions of people who play some very violent video games and never do anything remotely as violent IRL. That is really crap. Ray Rice beat up a woman because he's thug turd POS, not because of a video game. 

I love GTA V, still I've yet to carjack anyone in real life. Funny how that works. 

Dude.  I was joking. (and it was Glass Joe who did the dramatic fall, Don Flamingo was like tip-toe to fall)

Ray Rice is a piece of absolute dog sh*t.  Scum of the earth.  There is no excuse and I've stated many times the NFL ****ed this up big time.

That said, I'm really not more upset from the video...its about what I expected.  

Archived