Video of Ray Rice dragging unconscious gf out of AC elevator

nj meadowlands

I mean...I seriously doubt that Ray Rice said to himself "Hmm...I think I'll punch my woman out while we're in the elevator today".

I'm sure he didn't, but he made the choice to do so.

Which makes him a giant piece of sh*t.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I believe the NFL at all, but...

What exactly changes now that the video is out? Didn't everyone know he socked her and knocked her out already? Goodell's "punishment" was weak before the video came out and still is after. Not sure what exactly has changed here. 

As the product of a home filled (literally) with domestic violence, I can appreciate the general concept that it's wrong, obviously, even if such over-simplified analysis leaves out so much of the situation..

But I continue to ask why I (random NFL fan) should give two sh*ts, when the victim clearly doesn't care enough to press charges, leave her abuser, or you know, not marry the guy who clocked her.

This issue continues to feel very 'third party outrage by extention" to me.  People being outraged because they feel they should, rather than because they actually care about the victim.

I also don't see this as an issue the NFL should be involved in.  This is a domestic issue, and as appropriate a court issue, not an employer issue.

Either the employer fires outright all domestic abusers, or they don't get involved.  A token suspension is a rediculous way to manage such a thing.

Personally, I think they should stay out of penalizing private, personal issues unrelated in any way to on-the-field employment.  Thats why we have courts.

If the issue is so egregious it warrants League action, it's eggregious enough for a lifetime, no parole, ban.  Otherwise, stay the **** out of it.

Certainly not someone who would just....out of the blue..hit her just for the hell of it.

Not that I condone any of it(because I don't) but there's always a reason behind the madness.  confusedshrug.gif

I mean...I seriously doubt that Ray Rice said to himself "Hmm...I think I'll punch my woman out while we're in the elevator today".

tZul9tZ.gif

Certainly not someone who would just....out of the blue..hit her just for the hell of it.

Not that I condone any of it(because I don't) but there's always a reason behind the madness.  confusedshrug.gif

No, there isn't. 

This world is chock full of crazy people. To pretend there 'must have been a reason' doesn't make it right. 

No offense Vin, but this is a dumb ******* thing to say.

Let me say the obvious, I hope Ray Rice is punished further for this legally.

I saw the video on TeeVee and then had the distinct displeasure of watching what talking heads are saying.

You are hit by this display of a sense of shock by really bad actors who are dictated by the political correctness to be horrified and pile on in every which way they can which makes you suddenly think what were these very same people saying when this matter first came to light OR what were these very same people saying when one of the marquee players of the league was accused of forced sexual assault which in my book is a whole lot of degrees worse than the physical assault we just witnessed.

I distinctly remember people clamoring for lighter sentence for the rapist in the media. Question is why the hell are those people sounding so shocked and at loss today.

So its another disturbing incident where the perfectly measured, parroted responses of these people d-bags makes you wonder if we have decayed this bad as a society.

If you're keeping track of the media-Richie Icognito is the devil, this is a mere bag of shells. Blab some nasty nonsense requires a Commissioner's Report and a media circle jerk of epic proportions, drag your passed out fiancee into a hotel elevator, no biggie.Unless he called her ther b , c or n word. Then Rice is in big trouble.

Or - god forbid - inhaled the smoke of a plant that is legal in parts of the US. 

But you're right about bad language.  That's apparently the most serious offense imaginable.  The Redskins lost their copyright.  In the NBA, a 2nd owner is about to sell his team for bad language. 

No, there isn't. 

This world is chock full of crazy people. To pretend there 'must have been a reason' doesn't make it right. 

No offense Vin, but this is a dumb ******* thing to say.

Fair enough.

I knew what I said wouldn't be well-received because many here do not tolerate opinions that don't equal their own. 

That's life on the internet.  wink.gif

One thing that aggravates me :

Goodell had to have seen this tape before making his decision to suspend Rice for 2 measley games.

Now I don't know what the CBA says for the max amount that a player can be suspended for in situations such as these but 2 games is too damn light a sentence.

8 games(MINIMUM) should be the sentence(for the first offence). 

Not that I condone any of it(because I don't) but there's always a reason behind the madness. confusedshrug.gif

Totally agree... And more so feel this way about girls who wear tight or revealing clothing. I mean, what do they expect?

As the product of a home filled (literally) with domestic violence, I can appreciate the general concept that it's wrong, obviously, even if such over-simplified analysis leaves out so much of the situation..

But I continue to ask why I (random NFL fan) should give two sh*ts, when the victim clearly doesn't care enough to press charges, leave her abuser, or you know, not marry the guy who clocked her.

This issue continues to feel very 'third party outrage by extention" to me. People being outraged because they feel they should, rather than because they actually care about the victim.

I also don't see this as an issue the NFL should be involved in. This is a domestic issue, and as appropriate a court issue, not an employer issue.

Either the employer fires outright all domestic abusers, or they don't get involved. A token suspension is a rediculous way to manage such a thing.

Personally, I think they should stay out of penalizing private, personal issues unrelated in any way to on-the-field employment. Thats why we have courts.

If the issue is so egregious it warrants League action, it's eggregious enough for a lifetime, no parole, ban. Otherwise, stay the **** out of it.

Fish, "why don't they leave" or "why don't they press charges" are two of the most common questions asked of battered women and they are extremely unfair ones. The situations are extremely complicated as I'd imagine by your self-disclosure you can relate to. It's easy for an outsider to tell a woman what to do, it's far from that easy to actually do it, for countless reasons, including the victim blaming that's already gone on a few posts ago.

You don't think this behavior violated his contract?

This issue continues to feel very 'third party outrage by extention" to me.  People being outraged because they feel they should, rather than because they actually care about the victim.

I also don't see this as an issue the NFL should be involved in.  This is a domestic issue, and as appropriate a court issue, not an employer issue.

Either the employer fires outright all domestic abusers, or they don't get involved.  A token suspension is a rediculous way to manage such a thing.

Personally, I think they should stay out of penalizing private, personal issues unrelated in any way to on-the-field employment.  Thats why we have courts.

If the issue is so egregious it warrants League action, it's eggregious enough for a lifetime, no parole, ban.  Otherwise, stay the **** out of it.

Just saw the video, not understanding what's different about today's opinion vs. weeks ago.  He struck her, didn't appear to be more/less than we were told when the story first broke in June.

SAR I

Guess it really depends on what your vision of the confrontation was prior to the elevator door opening. 

Personally, I envisioned a lot of yelling in each others faces, followed by a flurry of woman slaps/hits until Rice eventually lost his cool and decked her.

What happened in this video wasn't even close to that. She didn't even get a chance to get in his face because he took a swing at her, first only grazing her. Then she was enraged that he actually tried to hit her and when she lunged forward he took ANOTHER swing which ended up being the knockout punch.

Based on that soundless video (and generally being a good human being) there really was no reason for Rice to escalate the argument into becoming physical.  

Totally agree... And more so feel this way about girls who wear tight or revealing clothing. I mean, what do they expect?

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

(and before you say anything, I know you were being sarcastic but that's still retarded to say as if implying that I am "victim-blaming")

Here comes the NFL stooges contradicting their own self:

http://deadspin.com/has-peter-king-read-his-own-reporting-on-the-ray-rice-f-1631901579

On July 29, SI.com's Peter King, who covers the league from the centermost pleat on Roger Goodell's khakis, reported that "NFL and some Ravens officials" had seen unreleased security-cam footage of the Ray Rice altercation from within the elevator. At the time, it was important for the NFL to establish that it was taking great pains to investigate the incident. Here's how King wrote it up:

There is one other thing I did not write or refer to, and that is the other videotape the NFL and some Ravens officials have seen, from the security camera inside the elevator at the time of the physical altercation between Rice and his fiancée.

Today, the videotape in question was leaked, and there was nothing exculpatory in it to be found. Peter King writes:

If league officials saw this video before issuing the two-game ban for Rice, all the scorn that's been heaped on Roger Goodell and his colleagues will be deserved.

Doubt has crept in, just when doubt has become useful for the NFL. It's a long way to travel to get from "have seen" to "if ... saw," but Peter King got there, somehow.

They're denying seeing it now

Because if Goodell did  see it prior to his original decision (which King certainly implied at the time) Goodell's bosses would be directing him down to HR to get a box and pack up his crap and get out by 5PM. 

Again, good thing Rice didn't slur her as a lesbian or smoke some dope or take a tab of Adderall while going Clubber  Lang on her. THAT WOULD BE VERY SERIOUS, all certainly worth more than 2 games. 

Fair enough.

I knew what I said wouldn't be well-received because many here do not tolerate opinions that don't equal their own. 

That's life on the internet.  wink.gif

This isn't about it not being my opinion.

It is about you implying that there is always a rational reason behind domestic violence. There isn't. It was a dumb ******* thing to say.

This isn't about it not being my opinion.

It is about you implying that there is always a rational reason behind domestic violence. There isn't. It was a dumb ******* thing to say.

And I said "Fair Enough".

Don't know what you're trying to accomplish here by repeating yourself...confusedshrug.gif

Have to say I'm shocked anyone here is minimizing Rice's conduct or saying there was some context or she was faking it. I don't do criminal law any more, but when I did recall that almost eveyr guy who hurt a woman was a POS spare one.Had An old friend who came home from a 2 day tour at Ground Zero with FDNY to find his soon to be ex banging another guy.And in that one situation, surprised he didn't get more angry than he did(though he did  break the door down, kicked the guy's ass and cursed his wife out up and down but did not touch her).  

I'm sorry: I came from a law enforcement family and I can recall from an early age being told NEVER TO HIT A WOMAN. THERE IS NO GOOD REASON NOR EXCUSE. No real man does such a thing no matter how much of a bitch a woman is. 

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

(and before you say anything, I know you were being sarcastic but that's still retarded to say as if implying that I am "victim-blaming")

As Ape points out... The moment you introduce the idea that she must have done something to get him mad, because, "he didn't wake up planning to punch her," you are by definition, victim blaming. It's not an all-or-nothing concept that can be dismissed by the qualifier, "I don't condone what he did..."

Have to say I'm shocked anyone here is minimizing Rice's conduct or saying there was some context or she was faking it. I don't do criminal law any more, but when I did recall that almost eveyr guy who hurt a woman was a POS spare one.Had An old friend who came home from a 2 day tour at Ground Zero with FDNY to find his soon to be ex banging another guy.And in that one situation, surprised he didn't get more angry than he did(though he did break the door down, kicked the guy's ass and cursed his wife out up and down but did not touch her).

I'm sorry: I came from a law enforcement family and I can recall from an early age being told NEVER TO HIT A WOMAN. THERE IS NO GOOD REASON NOR EXCUSE. No real man does such a thing no matter how much of a bitch a woman is.

I think/hope the faking it people are joking.

As Ape points out... The moment you introduce the idea that she must have done something to get him mad, because, "he didn't wake up planning to punch her," you are by definition, victim blaming. It's not an all-or-nothing concept that can be dismissed by the qualifier, "I don't condone what he did..."

So if I say I don't condone what he did,  you're basically saying that I'm lying then. 

It's not a qualifier.  It's FACT.  I never hit women.  I never will hit women.  

I can have a different opinion and not be labelled a Wife-Beater or a Wife-Beater Apologist.  

And no.  I'm NOT nor was EVER "Victim-Blaming".   I'm sorry but you're reading too much into things I've said that just aren't there.

You clearly didn't understand the first time. 

Actually I did but I guess I shouldn't have said what I said in regards to opinions or what-not.  

Didn't realize it would make people upset.   My apologies for that.

So if I say I don't condone what he did,  you're basically saying that I'm lying then. 

It's not a qualifier.  It's FACT.  I never hit women.  I never will hit women.  

I can have a different opinion and not be labelled a Wife-Beater or a Wife-Beater Apologist.  

And no.  I'm NOT nor was EVER "Victim-Blaming".   I'm sorry but you're reading too much into things I've said that just aren't there.

He's likes creating illogical premises to label...don't mind it. 

Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel has been "texting with team officials around the NFL," and the belief around the league is that the Ravens will release Ray Rice.

We don't typically use Wetzel as a source, but his words are worth noting. Multiple team officials believe the Ravens simply "have to" release Rice after the video of him knocking out his then-fiancee in a hotel elevator in February came to light Monday. If the Ravens were to keep Rice rostered, pay him, and play him, they'd face severe backlash. Current and ex-NFL players have already taken to Twitter calling for Rice's head. There's a chance Rice may get cut and never play again.

Archived