Mehta: Jets brass souring on Stephen Hill--possible trade bait

T0mShane

"NFL's least efficient WR over the past two years" - its not that surprising but is this fact? 

Who is going to trade for the league's least efficient wide receiver?

Yeah, I dunno if he's THAT bad.

With that being said, he's certainly been a disappointment. I thought he was a HUGE steal when we took him.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one more year to prove himself. like others said hes on his rookie deal, so hes incredibly cheap. no reason to cut him. let him battle in camp for the number 4 or 5 spot. hes been extremely disappointing but i think we should give him at least 3 years before we completely give up on him. this is his second year in MM's system, lets see what the kid can do. he did well the first few games last year until his head got knocked off against tenn

I agree with this, and I don't.  

If he's going to be cut next year, and struggle to be (just) our #4 or #5 guy, then we should field trade inquiries.  He'll produce better in a system that doesn't rely on its' WRs to catch the football.   If we fall in love with a guy, and he's slipping to the top of the 2nd round--and we could jettison our 2nd round pick with Stephen Hill to move up (less than half a round), we should do it. 

I think he's less trade bait per se....and more trading up compensation. 

He is soft. Polumalu showed us he really doesnt like his job. Latest incarnation of  Justin McCareins

I hear this bullsh*t mentioned here all the time.  Hill does not highpoint the ball and he may have lost a little after the concussion, but that was Michael Griffin on the Titans (who got fined $25K IIRC). Hill held on when Polamalu decked him.  The kid has a bunch of flaws, but he actually seems pretty tough. I am an old man that only weighs around 185 now and if Geno Smith lines people up like that I am knocking them the **** out. 

He's not going to say he doesn't like a player they are trying to trade.

I know he wouldn't but when asked about players who left or were leaving he says "if it was up to me I would keep every 1." He said it since his 1st year. He just recently said it about sanchez. "if it was up to me he would be here in 2014"

If hill was leaving why wouldn't he say that?

I know he wouldn't but when asked about players who left or were leaving he says "if it was up to me I would keep every 1." He said it since his 1st year. He just recently said it about sanchez. "if it was up to me he would be here in 2014"

If hill was leaving why wouldn't he say that?

What do you expect him to say? In Rex's position he's either got to coach the guy or help the team maximize the players trade value. Regardless of the outcome he is going to be positive. 

I'm not so sure that he's valueless in a trade. The guy still has an elite size/speed combination that cannot be taught. I'm sure there are people who look at the Jets from the outside and blame the QBs here for a lot of his difficulties. I'd want a pick in the top half of the fourth round or higher, and take my chances with him for another season if I couldn't get that. This leak to Mannish could be an effort by the Jets to gauge his market value and go from there.

Tough call. I would almost just as soon stick with him one more year if a high 4th turns out to be his value.  But the flip side is this is supposed to be a deep draft at WR so it might possible to find a gem in the 4th. Just the Jets luck that he wakes up and smells the coffee with another team.  He is only $1.3 million, so it is more of a frustration thing than a money thing.  Like I said, tough call.  No tough call in 2015 if he stays and performs the same -- chop, chop, chop.

Archived