Mehta: Jets brass souring on Stephen Hill--possible trade bait

T0mShane

Most concerning.. "they are souring".. they should've hit the souring stage long ago and moved into pure contempt by now

Well, they want to trade him. They aren't gonna come out and trash the guy if they are gonna try to get something for him. 

It would actually be most concerning if the article said, "just about everyone in the Jets organization thinks Stephen Hill is a worthless sh*tbag. They are hoping to hoodwink some dumbass team like the Jaguars into giving up a fifth rounder for him."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only reason to trade him would to be they don't think he fits in Mornhinweg's offense and think the current coaching staff is sticking around for a little while. I'm sure they'd take a third, maybe even a fourth, but nobody is going to give that up and he's got too much potential as unlikely as it is that he gets there to move for peanuts with how much he's getting paid.

What Hill really needs to do is hit the weight room. He's not little at 215, but if you look at him he's really skinny. Not a really built upper body, chicken legs. Adding strength may or may not sap a little explosiveness but regardless it'll help him in the three areas I think he's weakest on the field - competing for contested balls downfield, beating press, and avoiding those nagging injuries he's had issues with each of his first two years in the league.

Whether or not it'll give him a little more confidence between the ears I don't know, but he has been occasionally willing to take a shot and make a catch. And I still don't think he's a great fit for Mornhinweg's offense, but if he puts on 15 pounds of muscle and all of a sudden can do a lot of the things that he should be able to with his size and maybe a little less speed I'd imagine they'll find a place for him.

I doubt he would bring anything of value, so a trade is out.  He costs a little under $1.3 million this season, with no real net cap savings, so they are pretty much stuck giving him another year to see if the lights go on. 2015 is the year when they realize the most cap savings and least dead money by just cutting him.

I doubt he would bring anything of value, so a trade is out.  He costs a little under $1.3 million this season, with no real net cap savings, so they are pretty much stuck giving him another year to see if the lights go on. 2015 is the year when they realize the most cap savings and least dead money by just cutting him.

So now our season, not only hinges on the LOWEST rated QB for QBR in the NFL, and the LOWEST rated receiver in the NFL, all of a sudden by some miracle turning into Montana and Rice, and our coach morphing into Bill Walsh?

Sheesh, and in another thread, we had some Jets fan from Canada, saying we are going to the SuperBowl. Isnt it great that Jet Fans have such a great imagination?

So now our season, not only hinges on the LOWEST rated QB for QBR in the NFL, and the LOWEST rated receiver in the NFL, all of a sudden by some miracle turning into Montana and Rice, and our coach morphing into Bill Walsh?

Sheesh, and in another thread, we had some Jets fan from Canada, saying we are going to the SuperBowl. Isnt it great that Jet Fans have such a great imagination?

I get a slight hint you may be a little negative in your posting, with just a hint of hyperbole.

The Jets have spent two high picks on out of the league bad players over the last 5 years. The second Hill stepped on the field you could tell this wasn't going to be good.

Who is the 2nd Ducasse? Tannenbaum had a really bad time with 2nd rounders (when he actually had one), maybe that's why he was always trading up.

Well for every Sanchez, and Gholston he has a Dbrick, Mangold, Revis, and Mo Wilk, each at one point, and time all pro type of talent.

Yeah, and by missing on the most important position in all of sports, he set the franchise back 5 years. All-pro's at the other positions has made us a .500 team, WooHoo.

Yeah, and by missing on the most important position in all of sports, he set the franchise back 5 years. All-pro's at the other positions has made us a .500 team, WooHoo.

Can you really say that when despite his awful play, the Jets still got incredibly close to the Super Bowl twice? 

I mean, based on your posting how the hell did that happen since in addition to Sanchez being so terrible, that Rex is such an awful coach?

I say give him this one last chance and year to progress- we knew he was a project coming into the league. He has to stay on the field and show some fight/desire to get the ball

He takes up a valuable roster spot doesn't play special teams id rather sigh a guy like Miles Austin who wont do worse.

He takes up a valuable roster spot doesn't play special teams id rather sigh a guy like Miles Austin who wont do worse.

Austin is going to take a lot more money to sign than Hill on the roster. Austin is coming off a injury filled year also Monmouth U alumni so I am rooting for him though

I say give him this one last chance and year to progress- we knew he was a project coming into the league. He has to stay on the field and show some fight/desire to get the ball 

Taking it from managements point of view, if they do keep him another year, and he is horrible again, then he has just about proven that he is completely worthless and no one would touch him, BUT if we can use the excuse that he was injured, and still has potential, then maybe they could still get something for him this year.

I say, if you can get something for him now, do it, before he proves he is basically another Tannybust.

Yes!  A valuable roster spot that could have gone to a stud like Ben Obamanu, Saalim Hakim, Josh Cribbs, Clyde Gates, Greg Salas or Jordan White.  He is big and fast and still about the youngest guy on the roster.  Miles Austin will be 30 before the season starts. 

Yes!  A valuable roster spot that could have gone to a stud like Ben Obamanu, Saalim Hakim, Josh Cribbs, Clyde Gates, Greg Salas or Jordan White.  He is big and fast and still about the youngest guy on the roster.  Miles Austin will be 30 before the season starts.

That's the Jets choosing not mine. He doesn't play special teams and he flat out sucks. Miles Austin at 30 for the right price is a way better option than Hill.

He cant catch cant block and he cant run complete routes!

I'm not so sure that he's valueless in a trade. The guy still has an elite size/speed combination that cannot be taught. I'm sure there are people who look at the Jets from the outside and blame the QBs here for a lot of his difficulties. I'd want a pick in the top half of the fourth round or higher, and take my chances with him for another season if I couldn't get that. This leak to Mannish could be an effort by the Jets to gauge his market value and go from there.

I'm not so sure that he's valueless in a trade. The guy still has an elite size/speed combination that cannot be taught. I'm sure there are people who look at the Jets from the outside and blame the QBs here for a lot of his difficulties. I'd want a pick in the top half of the fourth round or higher, and take my chances with him for another season if I couldn't get that. This leak to Mannish could be an effort by the Jets to gauge his market value and go from there.

I think Hill deserves an extension.

Mike Tannenbaum

one more year to prove himself. like others said hes on his rookie deal, so hes incredibly cheap. no reason to cut him. let him battle in camp for the number 4 or 5 spot. hes been extremely disappointing but i think we should give him at least 3 years before we completely give up on him. this is his second year in MM's system, lets see what the kid can do. he did well the first few games last year until his head got knocked off against tenn

The thing I believe most is that he is a bad fit.  He is not a YAC guy.  He is a burner which fit the (alleged) Sparano/Al Davis mold of run and throw deep.  He seemed to be demanding safety help early last year.  I'm not the only one that noticed (Matt?Broadway?80? somebody else mentioned it a few times too).  They may be gauging interest based on if they want to sign more than one guy and go WR in the draft he'd become a bubble guy with some value.  Can't see moving him for less than a 4th otherwise unless it is to move up for somebody specific.  He seems to have chronic knee problems which may contribute to them being fed up.

This is like the pre-fight you have before breaking up in a relationship, while at the same time telling everyone at work that you're going through a break-up.

Then she starts doing her hair and makeup again, eating right and dressing better.  

It's a win-win.  

Archived