Maybe the Yankees did not get screwed in the Pineda deal after all.

Bob

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/02/21/seattle-gm-expectations-gone-montero/

Seattle GM: Expectations are “gone” for Montero

Posted by: Chad Jennings - Posted in Misc on Feb 21, 2014 print.gif Print This Post | email.gif Email This Post

00f204c454196f074c0f6a7067005aec.jpg

Coming off an injury and a Biogenesis suspension, former Yankees prospect Jesus Montero reported to Mariners camp 40 pounds overweight this spring, and the team’s general manager has been blunt in his assessment.

“I have zero expectations for Jesus Montero,” Jack Zduriencik told the Seattle Times. “Any expectations I had are gone. … I’m not counting on him. I’m not expecting anything. Whatever he does, he’s got to get our attention — that’s how I’m looking at it.”

Early this spring, Montero said that after playing winter ball, “all I did was eat.” Obviously that comment didn’t go over well, and apparently it’s added to the Mariners existing frustration. There were always rumblings of makeup and motivation concerns when Montero was in the Yankees organization, and those seem to have carried over.

Of course, it’s also worth remembering that Montero is still just 24 years old. He hasn’t performed nearly up to expectation since getting to Seattle. Michael Pineda, meanwhile, has not yet thrown a major-league pitch for the Yankees. That trade is still a long way from defining itself in terms of a winner and a loser.

“I can’t want it for him,” manager Lloyd McClendon said. “At some point, the light has to come on for all of us. When I talked with him, I told him he’s at a crossroads. It’s time to put up or shut up.”

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pineda has/had a great arm. You never know with pitchers.

Of course, giving Brett Gardener 52 Million seems silly though.

I actually have no problem with the Gardner deal. He has plus defense and plus speed and is still in his prime. This seems to be the going rate for guys with his skillset e.g Michael Bourn got 48 million.

I actually have no problem with the Gardner deal. He has plus defense and plus speed and is still in his prime. This seems to be the going rate for guys with his skillset e.g Michael Bourn got 48 million.

He and Ellsbury are basically the same player. Not sure why you keep around Gardner, nevertheless give him 13 million year when he'll be 31 and once his legs go, he won't have plus speed or defense. He's a solid player, but he's not a compliment in that outfield.

He and Ellsbury are basically the same player. Not sure why you keep around Gardner, nevertheless give him 13 million year when he'll be 31 and once his legs go, he won't have plus speed or defense. He's a solid player, but he's not a compliment in that outfield.

The real question is why pay Ellsbury 100 million more than Gardy.

This. Nothing wrong with the Gardner deal and there's no trade clause in there so he's always movable. There's nothing wrong with this deal

Nothing at all except for the fact it was combined with giving Jacoby a boatload of money. Would have made more sense to give Cano the money and keep Gardner too. But the Yankees obviously know what they're doing.

Nothing at all except for the fact it was combined with giving Jacoby a boatload of money. Would have made more sense to give Cano the money and keep Gardner too. But the Yankees obviously know what they're doing.

I'm not defending the stupid Ellsbury deal, that doesn't mean this one is bad for the Yankees. Like I said, worst case you can always move him at those numbers

The real question is why pay Ellsbury 100 million more than Gardy.

Ceiling - Ellsbury at his best is better than Gardner at his best. That and they bought Ellsbury on the FA market, where prices are naturally going to be higher. 

They're "basically the same player" in the sense that both are fast, efficient, and play high quality defense. A few details in and it becomes obvious why Ellsbury is considered the bigger talent. That's no insult to Gardner - both are proven first division starters. 

Would it really have made sense to give Cano the money? 10 year deal worth 240 million? No thanks. The Yankees most certainly knew what they were doing with that and imo made the right decision. 10 year deals rarely work out and I dont think it would have with a 31 year old 2B.

Would it really have made sense to give Cano the money? 10 year deal worth 240 million? No thanks. The Yankees most certainly knew what they were doing with that and imo made the right decision. 10 year deals rarely work out and I dont think it would have with a 31 year old 2B.

How many years did the give Ellsbury and how old is he? Who is the better player at his position? Which one has the injury history? Which one did you already have a player like in Brett Gardner? The Yankees are just throwing money at problems and hoping it works out.

Speaking of working out CC looks weird. He's so skinny!

Holy crap. Carl made sense.

How many years did the give Ellsbury and how old is he? Who is the better player at his position? Which one has the injury history? Which one did you already have a player like in Brett Gardner? The Yankees are just throwing money at problems and hoping it works out.

Speaking of working out CC looks weird. He's so skinny!

Ellsbury's deal was only 7 years and he's 30 years old. And just for fun the last time the Yankees threw their money at needs and hoped it worked out was in 09 and they won the World Series. Maybe history will repeat itself. CC does look weird ill give you that lol

Ellsbury's deal was only 7 years and he's 30 years old. And just for fun the last time the Yankees threw their money at needs and hoped it worked out was in 09 and they won the World Series. Maybe history will repeat itself. CC does look weird ill give you that lol

Who is going to be their A-Rod to carry them to it this year? I just don't see it happening. It isn't the way champions are built anymore.

Who is going to be their A-Rod to carry them to it this year? I just don't see it happening. It isn't the way champions are built anymore.

You never know. A-Rod came off hip surgery in 09. Tex is coming off wrist surgery this year. Maybe Tex can carry them? It can be anyone though, just have to get to the dance and see what happens and imo the Yankees are a playoff team this year.

You never know. A-Rod came off hip surgery in 09. Tex is coming off wrist surgery this year. Maybe Tex can carry them? It can be anyone though, just have to get to the dance and see what happens and imo the Yankees are a playoff team this year.

They'll be fighting for a wildcard for sure.

Always next year, maybe Arod can come back at 38 and hit like .600 in the playoffs. It's worked for other Dominican PED users

Funny no one said anything when he hit under the Calista Flockhart line against Detroit.  :confused0058:

Mccan looks like the real deal. He's douchey but we need to match that Sox like douchiness imo.

McCann is the real deal no doubt. Dude has some serious power for a catcher and can easily hit 25-30 bombs in YSIII. Key to McCann is keeping him healthy.

McCann is the real deal no doubt. Dude has some serious power for a catcher and can easily hit 25-30 bombs in YSIII. Key to McCann is keeping him healthy.

Good thing with the way the Yankees are 'constructed' he can get in on the rotation of taking time at DH.

Good thing with the way the Yankees are 'constructed' he can get in on the rotation of taking time at DH.

I am not sure there will be room for McCaan to DH.  You figure Soriano will be there if everyone is healthy.....Gardner-Ellsbury - Beltran in the outfield. Yanks line-up (if healthy) could be one of the better ones in the AL.  

Getting 145-150 games out of Tex, Jeter, Beltran and Soriano will be key. Kelly Johnson should be good for 20-25 HR's in the Bronx. Anything Brian Roberts gives them is gravy IMO....I actually prefer Sizemore at 2B upside wise.

Archived