•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jets May Keep Sanchez at Reduced Rate

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,582 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

Jets may keep Mark Sanchez at reduced rate to provide competition

KristianRDyer.

Mark Sanchez’s tenure as a Jet is not over yet as the team and its former first-round pick remain in a status quo relationship this offseason.

The Jets and representatives for Sanchez met this past weekend in Indianapolis at the NFL Combine to discuss the quarterback’s future in green and white. Sanchez, who missed all of last season due to a shoulder injury suffered in preseason, is progressing well with his rehab and should be ready for offseason workouts and minicamp.

A team source spoke to Metro this weekend and said that as of right now, “no decisions [were] made by the team.” The source said the Jets want to see how Sanchez has recovered from shoulder surgery before making a decision on his Jets future.

Another team source said the Jets haven’t closed the door on the possibilities of a restructured contract for Sanchez, who signed a five-year extension in spring 2012. He is due to make $13.1 million this season, but the Jets would clear $8.3 million in cap space if he is cut.

The decision to simply cut Sanchez as he is set to enter his sixth season in New York is not as simple as many Jets fans might want to believe.

Sanchez is two years removed from his most productive season in the NFL. In 2011, he threw for a career-high 3,474 yards and 26 touchdowns in addition to six rushing touchdowns.

Given the relatively weak free agent quarterback market this year, the Jets might seriously consider bringing Sanchez back at a reduced rate. He was ahead of rookie Geno Smith in the quarterback competition last year before his injury and sources at the time told Metro that Sanchez was set to win the starting job for Week 1.

The Jets have not given a ringing endorsement to Smith, who was erratic during his rookie year, though he closed strong with an efficient final month. Yet the Jets have made it clear that they will look to provide competition for their raw quarterback prospect.

If Sanchez recovers from the shoulder injury which cost him all of last season, he certainly would be more than just competition for Smith and could well put forward a strong statement in training camp.

Whether Sanchez makes it that far remains to be seen, as the prospects of clearing salary cap space might be too tempting for management.

“[It is] highly unlikely that Mark returns to the Jets at this point,” said one league source familiar with the thinking of Jets management and general manager John Idzik. “Everything is pointing in that direction. And if he did, certainly not at the cap number.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/...h.DCGbs5wW.dpuf

#2 ECURB

ECURB

Throwback!

• Members
  • 30,197 posts
  • LocationOn cloud 8.5

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

It would be crazy not to explore it, if cut he is a top fa qb. If they bring in someone like McCown it would only make the $ situation better certainly not more talent.

Posted Image

#3 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 17,845 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

ch9zEGh.gif

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#4 T0mShane

T0mShane

You can smell the death upon him.

• Members
  • 29,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

No
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#5 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

The highest QB rating he has had in his entire career was 78 which is well below league average.  I just don't see why we have to retain this guy.

#6 SoFlaJets

SoFlaJets

Sasquatch Hunter

• Members
  • 34,546 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Mark Sanchez will be the starter AND will be hoisting the next Super Bowl MVP trophy of the 2014 New York Jets ...book it

#7 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,962 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

Mark Sanchez will be the starter AND will be hoisting the next Super Bowl MVP trophy of the 2014 New York Jets ...book it

Yes we know-Rex guarantees it

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#8 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

45 years and counting.

Posted Image

#9 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,505 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

No.gif

#10 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

tumblr_lknlyr2TVo1qbmlzq.gif

PatriotReign37, on 10 Sept 2014 - 10:56 AM, said: Oh the ironing.

#11 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,089 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

fatguybp2.gif

#12 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

people forget that cutting Mark still creates a huge dead spot on the cap. If the Jets could "restructure" with Mark giving back money it would save the dead space and save the money required to sign McCown or Vick or whoever. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#13 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Given the relatively weak free agent quarterback market this year, the Jets might seriously consider bringing Sanchez back at a reduced rate. He was ahead of rookie Geno Smith in the quarterback competition last year before his injury and sources at the time told Metro that Sanchez was set to win the starting job for Week 1.

beating a dead horse but again why was he in that pre-season game?

#14 SoFlaJets

SoFlaJets

Sasquatch Hunter

• Members
  • 34,546 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

On a side note:  Word is they will be releasing me from the asylum sometime today, but for some reason my counselor suggests that I delete my last comment in this thread for fear that the "treatment" might not of have worked as well as they had hoped

BZZZZZTTTTTTTTT............BBBBZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT.....

#15 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Free?

Still not sure id want him here.

Edited by New York Mick, 24 February 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#16 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,028 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

people forget that cutting Mark still creates a huge dead spot on the cap. If the Jets could "restructure" with Mark giving back money it would save the dead space and save the money required to sign McCown or Vick or whoever.

The Jets save $8.3M against the cap in 2014 if they cut Sanchez (after the dead money you're referring to). Sanchez is due $11M this year in bonus and salary. In your scenario, he'd have to agree to more than an $8.3M pay cut - and then he'd still be on the books with $3.2M in potential dead money in 2015 if he fails to work out again. Cutting (or trading) him gets all that dead money off the books this year - a year in which they happen to be flush with cash.

So not only would it be next to impossible to get him to take a large enough pay cut to make it a financially viable move, they're still better off cutting him to clear his contract off the books before next year.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#17 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

The Jets save $8.3M against the cap in 2014 if they cut Sanchez (after the dead money you're referring to). Sanchez is due $11M this year in bonus and salary. In your scenario, he'd have to agree to more than an $8.3M pay cut - and then he'd still be on the books with $3.2M in potential dead money in 2015 if he fails to work out again. Cutting (or trading) him gets all that dead money off the books this year - a year in which they happen to be flush with cash.

So not only would it be next to impossible to get him to take a large enough pay cut to make it a financially viable move, they're still better off cutting him to clear his contract off the books before next year.

Damn. Someone got owned.

#18 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

To let me believe in God again.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#19 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

When this happens, it will be glorious on here you guys. Glorious.

#20 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

It will be known as The Golden Age of Jet Nation, guaranteed.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#21 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

No such thing as a "pre-season" game to REX. They all count and all are basically Superbowls.

Posted Image

#22 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

So not only would it be next to impossible to get him to take a large enough pay cut to make it a financially viable move, 

Didn't say it was likely. Yes that's the only way Mark would stay. he'd have to give back alot of money. But it has happened before with Alex Smith. Don't think it will actually happen with Mark. but it's possible and those are the criteria. 

Edited by bitonti, 24 February 2014 - 09:47 AM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#23 dbatesman

dbatesman

Failgoat 2.0

• Members
  • 9,184 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

It'll make dumb people happy and smart people angry, which seems to be the magic formula.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#24 T0mShane

T0mShane

You can smell the death upon him.

• Members
  • 29,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

No.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#25 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,962 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

I can not see how anyway Idzik would want to go anywhere near this option- just stories for the media to get Jet fans upset-hah

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users