Jets May Keep Sanchez at Reduced Rate

flgreen

Jets may keep Mark Sanchez at reduced rate to provide competition

KristianRDyer.

Mark Sanchez’s tenure as a Jet is not over yet as the team and its former first-round pick remain in a status quo relationship this offseason.

The Jets and representatives for Sanchez met this past weekend in Indianapolis at the NFL Combine to discuss the quarterback’s future in green and white. Sanchez, who missed all of last season due to a shoulder injury suffered in preseason, is progressing well with his rehab and should be ready for offseason workouts and minicamp.

A team source spoke to Metro this weekend and said that as of right now, “no decisions [were] made by the team.” The source said the Jets want to see how Sanchez has recovered from shoulder surgery before making a decision on his Jets future.

Another team source said the Jets haven’t closed the door on the possibilities of a restructured contract for Sanchez, who signed a five-year extension in spring 2012. He is due to make $13.1 million this season, but the Jets would clear $8.3 million in cap space if he is cut.

The decision to simply cut Sanchez as he is set to enter his sixth season in New York is not as simple as many Jets fans might want to believe.

Sanchez is two years removed from his most productive season in the NFL. In 2011, he threw for a career-high 3,474 yards and 26 touchdowns in addition to six rushing touchdowns.

Given the relatively weak free agent quarterback market this year, the Jets might seriously consider bringing Sanchez back at a reduced rate. He was ahead of rookie Geno Smith in the quarterback competition last year before his injury and sources at the time told Metro that Sanchez was set to win the starting job for Week 1.

The Jets have not given a ringing endorsement to Smith, who was erratic during his rookie year, though he closed strong with an efficient final month. Yet the Jets have made it clear that they will look to provide competition for their raw quarterback prospect.

If Sanchez recovers from the shoulder injury which cost him all of last season, he certainly would be more than just competition for Smith and could well put forward a strong statement in training camp.

Whether Sanchez makes it that far remains to be seen, as the prospects of clearing salary cap space might be too tempting for management.

“[it is] highly unlikely that Mark returns to the Jets at this point,” said one league source familiar with the thinking of Jets management and general manager John Idzik. “Everything is pointing in that direction. And if he did, certainly not at the cap number.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/02/23/jets-may-keep-mark-sanchez-at-reduced-rate-to-provide-competition/#sthash.DCGbs5wW.dpuf

Given the relatively weak free agent quarterback market this year, the Jets might seriously consider bringing Sanchez back at a reduced rate. He was ahead of rookie Geno Smith in the quarterback competition last year before his injury and sources at the time told Metro that Sanchez was set to win the starting job for Week 1.

beating a dead horse but again why was he in that pre-season game?

On a side note:  Word is they will be releasing me from the asylum sometime today, but for some reason my counselor suggests that I delete my last comment in this thread for fear that the "treatment" might not of have worked as well as they had hoped

BZZZZZTTTTTTTTT............BBBBZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT.....

people forget that cutting Mark still creates a huge dead spot on the cap. If the Jets could "restructure" with Mark giving back money it would save the dead space and save the money required to sign McCown or Vick or whoever.

The Jets save $8.3M against the cap in 2014 if they cut Sanchez (after the dead money you're referring to). Sanchez is due $11M this year in bonus and salary. In your scenario, he'd have to agree to more than an $8.3M pay cut - and then he'd still be on the books with $3.2M in potential dead money in 2015 if he fails to work out again. Cutting (or trading) him gets all that dead money off the books this year - a year in which they happen to be flush with cash.

So not only would it be next to impossible to get him to take a large enough pay cut to make it a financially viable move, they're still better off cutting him to clear his contract off the books before next year.

The Jets save $8.3M against the cap in 2014 if they cut Sanchez (after the dead money you're referring to). Sanchez is due $11M this year in bonus and salary. In your scenario, he'd have to agree to more than an $8.3M pay cut - and then he'd still be on the books with $3.2M in potential dead money in 2015 if he fails to work out again. Cutting (or trading) him gets all that dead money off the books this year - a year in which they happen to be flush with cash.

So not only would it be next to impossible to get him to take a large enough pay cut to make it a financially viable move, they're still better off cutting him to clear his contract off the books before next year.

Damn. Someone got owned.

So not only would it be next to impossible to get him to take a large enough pay cut to make it a financially viable move, 

Didn't say it was likely. Yes that's the only way Mark would stay. he'd have to give back alot of money. But it has happened before with Alex Smith. Don't think it will actually happen with Mark. but it's possible and those are the criteria. 

“[it is] highly unlikely that Mark returns to the Jets at this point,” said one league source familiar with the thinking of Jets management and general manager John Idzik. “Everything is pointing in that direction. And if he did, certainly not at the cap number.

Who is this genius?

I can not see how anyway Idzik would want to go anywhere near this option- just stories for the media to get Jet fans upset-hah

It would only be in the type of scenario that slats described, in which Sanchez agrees to an unbelievably massive paycut in the $9-10M range.  That's never going to happen though.

The only other slight possibility, given that Sanchez's bonus isn't apparently due until late March, is that they hold onto him until then and it turns out that the Jets whiff on every other attempted FA signing at QB before then, thus finding themselves to be absolutely desperate.  Even then, it would still require a pretty big pay cut from Sanchez.

It would only be in the type of scenario that slats described, in which Sanchez agrees to an unbelievably massive paycut in the $9-10M range.  That's never going to happen though.

The only other slight possibility, given that Sanchez's bonus isn't apparently due until late March, is that they hold onto him until then and it turns out that the Jets whiff on every other attempted FA signing at QB before then, thus finding themselves to be absolutely desperate.  Even then, it would still require a pretty big pay cut from Sanchez.

Since the Jets won't know for sure that they cannot deal Sanchez until they have to accept such fact, this scenario makes sense.  It doesn't mean they will find a trade partner, but until March 25 they do not have to give up on trying.

Looking at what else is out there to be had, I can't say I'd hate to see Sanchez come back on a drastically reduced base-salary/incentive laden deal.  He's the only vet they can "bring in" who knows the offense already, and has played well at times.  If he goes, fine...if he stays, fine.

I was in Dicks Sporting Goods over the weekend and I was looking at the Jets merchandise on the clearance rack and the young sales kid says to me you interested in an authentic Nike Sanchez jersey we have a box of them in the back I think they are $19.99 originally $249.99 if you have the $10 coupon you can get it for $9.99.

It'll make dumb people happy and smart people angry, which seems to be the magic formula.

What about those who inhabit the in-between of that potentially vast range? Perhaps there are posters out there who simply lack the abilities of those on the extreme ends of the spectrum? 

I was in Dicks Sporting Goods over the weekend and I was looking at the Jets merchandise on the clearance rack and the young sales kid says to me you interested in an authentic Nike Sanchez jersey we have a box of them in the back I think they are $19.99 originally $249.99 if you have the $10 coupon you can get it for $9.99.

He meant $9.99 for the entire box.

Archived