Cimini: Jets should sign Vick

flgreen

I tend to agree. While I despise him on a personal level, I understand that I'm not cheering for choir boys and boy scouts on the field every sunday, so it'd be a tad hypocritical to not let the man play seeing as how he's served his time.  However, my problem with him is that I don't think he has what it takes to stay healthy a full season and play at a high level, which is the reason I don't want any part of him. 

Great point, and I find myself being somewhat hypocritical in the fact that I want Holmes, and to a certain extent Cromartie, and Goodson gone, some of it based on their huge salaries but some of it also based on behavioral patterns, but then I advocate for a guy who did awful things to dogs. I guess, because Vick served his sentence and debt to society, and has been a model citizen (even advocating for responsible dog ownership), that I can somehow convince myself that Vick has turned a corner in his life and should be given a chance. I think.

I have dogs. I abhor what Mike Vick did to dogs, and I cannot blame a person like yourself who's morals will not allow him to support the Jets having Vick as their QB.

I will never forgive Mike Vick for what he did to those dogs, but since he has served his debt to society, I will not deny the man the ability to make a living, so if he makes that living while helping the team I root for, then I am all for it.

I understand what you are saying, but he is not just making a living, he is making millons, and I think that is bad for our society and our children.  Strangle some dogs, you might get caught, but after no one will care and you will be given multiple millons of dollars after and we will be cheering your name at games

I live in Colorado now, and the last few years have been painful.  The Jets were the laughing stock of the league.  Friends here in Colorado has been making fun of me and the Jets the last few years.  I am hopeful that has come to an end.

These past few days, when the articles have come out that the Jets might sign Vick, I have been getting a ton of sh^t already, and if they sign him, I am afraid the jets will once again be the laughing stock of the league, and personally, I would be embarressed.

I am in a great debate about this as there is a possibility the Jets will sign Vick.  I remember when Vick first came out of prison, most teams said they would not sign him and I thought they had character.

I might have to abandon the Jets if they sign Vick, as I am a big animal rights activist.

Wow, you my friend are in a tough situation. Criminal acts against defenseless animals is one thing ( a very serious thing of course), but when you allow politics to influence your views on something that is merely a GAME, and not world peace, then it gets serious.

What if you hear that a coach, lets take REX for example and lets say you worship REX, but then find out that his political views and values don't align with yours? Do you expect all 53 players, all 15 coaches, all Gm's scouts etc to align politically with your values?

I admire someone who has strong values but applying them to people who simply play and run basically a GAME is a very difficult position to put yourself in. Good luck.

I am in a great debate about this as there is a possibility the Jets will sign Vick. I remember when Vick first came out of prison, most teams said they would not sign him and I thought they had character.

I might have to abandon the Jets if they sign Vick, as I am a big animal rights activist.

I envy you. If it was that easy for me to turn off allegiance to a team, I would've done so years ago and saved myself decades of heartbreak. But being a fair weather fan isn't part of my moral code, unfortunately.

Wow, you my friend are in a tough situation. Criminal acts against defenseless animals is one thing ( a very serious thing of course), but when you allow politics to influence your views on something that is merely a GAME, and not world peace, then it gets serious.

What if you hear that a coach, lets take REX for example and lets say you worship REX, but then find out that his political views and values don't align with yours? Do you expect all 53 players, all 15 coaches, all Gm's scouts etc to align politically with your values?

I admire someone who has strong values but applying them to people who simply play and run basically a GAME is a very difficult position to put yourself in. Good luck.

I have not said that the politics alone has steered me away from the Jets, as I am still a Jets fan now.  I was just saying the signing of Vick would be the last straw

I envy you. If it was that easy for me to turn off allegiance to a team, I would've done so years ago and saved myself decades of heartbreak. But being a fair weather fan isn't part of my moral code, unfortunately.

I would not consider someone who has been a Jets fan for 40 years a "fair weather" fan, if he says he cannot be a fan of the team anymore after signing someone who strangled dogs with his bare hands. 

I understand what you are saying, but he is not just making a living, he is making millons, and I think that is bad for our society and our children.  Strangle some dogs, you might get caught, but after no one will care and you will be given multiple millons of dollars after and we will be cheering your name at games

You left out "strangle dogs, you might get caught, BE CONVICTED, GO TO JAIL, BE PUBLICLY OSTRASIZED", and then you can go on with your "no one will care, make millions etc", but don't leave out the part where he was severely PUNISHED.

You left out "strangle dogs, you might get caught, BE CONVICTED, GO TO JAIL, BE PUBLICLY OSTRASIZED", and then you can go on with your "no one will care, make millions etc", but don't leave out the part where he was severely PUNISHED.

If I went to jail for a few years and came out making over 10 millon dollars each year to be "severely punished".  I would probably go to jail for a couple of years if I was gauranteed to make 30 millon dollars after, I would consider that a good trade.

Plus, if you owned a business, would you hire someone who was caught strangling dogs and fighting them?  I would not for my business, and I bet my other employees would probably quit if I did

I understand that murders, bank robbers, and dog stranglers have to work after they serve their time, but not at my business, and not on my team, please

If I went to jail for a few years and came out making over 10 millon dollars each year to be "severely punished".  I would probably go to jail for a couple of years if I was gauranteed to make 30 millon dollars after, I would consider that a good trade.

Plus, if you owned a business, would you hire someone who was caught strangling dogs and fighting them?  I would not for my business, and I bet my other employees would probably quit if I did

I understand that murders, bank robbers, and dog stranglers have to work after they serve their time, but not at my business, and not on my team, please

Fair enough.

I would not consider someone who has been a Jets fan for 40 years a "fair weather" fan, if he says he cannot be a fan of the team anymore after signing someone who strangled dogs with his bare hands.

What about when we had dave meggett on the team? He beat the everloving crap out of a hooker in canada with his bare hands just months before becoming a jet. Sidenote he is currently serving 30 years for rape. I am not saying this to "call you out" but you stayed with the jets after signing a guy like meggett but would abandon the team if it signed vick. Everyone has to stay true to his own morals but i do find it facsinating that many people place dogs over other human beings.

What about when we had dave meggett on the team? He beat the everloving crap out of a hooker in canada with his bare hands just months before becoming a jet. Sidenote he is currently serving 30 years for rape. I am not saying this to "call you out" but you stayed with the jets after signing a guy like meggett but would abandon the team if it signed vick. Everyone has to stay true to his own morals but i do find it facsinating that many people place dogs over other human beings.

I would have said the same thing if I was more of adult back then

I would have said the same thing if I was more of adult back then

when you said you have been a jets fan for 40 years, that would indicate that you were an adult in 1998. So we now have divined two ways you will stop rooting for the team:

1. Animal abuse

2. Beating a woman/sexual assualt--but if the person is not convicted (ala Mark Sanchez at USC) then it won't make you stop rooting for the team.

So if the Jets sign one person who did that, you are done with the team for how long? Until they are gone or forever?

when you said you have been a jets fan for 40 years, that would indicate that you were an adult in 1998. So we now have divined two ways you will stop rooting for the team:

1. Animal abuse

2. Beating a woman/sexual assualt--but if the person is not convinced (ala Mark Sanchez at USC) then it won't make you stop rooting for the team.

So if the Jets sign one person who did that, you are done with the team for how long? Until they are gone or forever?

:lololol:

Hilarious.  I love when people get super indignant about Michael Vick.

:lololol:

Hilarious.  I love when people get super indignant about Michael Vick.

i am looking for a cure to jets fanatacism for myself. i can't think of a reason i would stop rooting for them unless they were bought by al queda. i think i suffer from stockholm syndrome.

1. Animal abuse

2. Beating a woman/sexual assualt--but if the person is not convicted (ala Mark Sanchez at USC) then it won't make you stop rooting for the team.

I am thinking off the top of my head but here are my rules ( for me):

1. you kill a person or a dog and sign them to the Jets, I might not root for the Jets as long as they are on the team

2. if you beat your wife, I will speak out to have the Jets not sign them, I will probably root for the team, but root for the guy to get hurt

3. if you do drugs, I do not care, but still will suggest the Jets do not sign them ( unless it is marijuana, I am from Colorado)

4. If you are a jackass and cause problems in the locker room, like Holmes, I will also suggest the Jets do not sign them

I have not said that the politics alone has steered me away from the Jets, as I am still a Jets fan now.  I was just saying the signing of Vick would be the last straw

FYI please leave your politics off the board. I've edited a couple of posts already. There are 10 billion websites where people can discuss the merits or shortcomings of either political party. This isn't one of them.

Otherwise, welcome to the site.

As far as Vick, I would just root for him to get injured myself - painfully injured and permanently disfigured - on every play he was on the field. I'd still want the team to win, but Vick personally can have someone take a cigar cutter to all the fingers on his left hand. I'd leave his right hand alone because of the warm, forgiving type of person I am.

FYI please leave your politics off the board. I've edited a couple of posts already. There are 10 billion websites where people can discuss the merits or shortcomings of either political party. This isn't one of them.

Otherwise, welcome to the site.

As far as Vick, I would just root for him to get injured myself - painfully injured and permanently disfigured - on every play he was on the field. I'd still want the team to win, but Vick personally can have someone take a cigar cutter to all the fingers on his left hand. I'd leave his right hand alone because of the warm, forgiving type of person I am.

Your getting soft Sperm.

It's simple. If Geno is your guy, you don't bring in Vick (same situation as Tebow). Another zoo enviornment and it would ruin his development. I think they resign Sanchez as the backup. I read today that if Geno was in this years draft he would be the #1 QB on the board. I say give him some weapons and a chance!

It's simple. If Geno is your guy, you don't bring in Vick (same situation as Tebow). Another zoo enviornment and it would ruin his development. I think they resign Sanchez as the backup. I read today that if Geno was in this years draft he would be the #1 QB on the board. I say give him some weapons and a chance!

Reading the comics is not a good place to find draft information.

if geno is your guy, nothing wrong with confirming that with a little competition.

if geno is your guy, nothing wrong with confirming that with a little competition.

It's not about competition.  You sign Vick, it's the Tebow circus but far worse all over again.  For a new GM who wanted the circus gone, this kind of signing says he's full of crap.  Regardless of how anybody feels about Vick,  he will bring the circus to town.  And it'll be even worse as it's in NY and it's the Jets.    And if he wins the staring job,  Smith pretty much becomes worse than Sanchez in the confidence department.   Which would really suck considering after a couple of weeks, Vick gets injured and Smith needs to come in and start.

There is no such thing as "competing" for the starting QB job in the NFL.  It's BS.  The only time a team has an open competition for the starting QB job is when their QB sucks and everybody knows it.    Signing a guy like Vick, who doesn't want to be a backup,  pretty much assures you that the Jets brass think Geno sucks.  

It's also a Marketing move.  Vick gets the Jets in the news all the time.  And wow a QB competition between Geno Smith & Vick.    Vick is one of the most hated guys in the NFL, and he's barely played the past two seasons.    Why invite the circus to town for a guy who might miss more games then he plays?  And for a guy who really hasn't done all that much besides a couple of seasons in his entire NFL career.

It's not about competition.  You sign Vick, it's the Tebow circus but far worse all over again.  For a new GM who wanted the circus gone, this kind of signing says he's full of crap.  Regardless of how anybody feels about Vick,  he will bring the circus to town.  And it'll be even worse as it's in NY and it's the Jets.    And if he wins the staring job,  Smith pretty much becomes worse than Sanchez in the confidence department.   Which would really suck considering after a couple of weeks, Vick gets injured and Smith needs to come in and start.

There is no such thing as "competing" for the starting QB job in the NFL.  It's BS.  The only time a team has an open competition for the starting QB job is when their QB sucks and everybody knows it.    Signing a guy like Vick, who doesn't want to be a backup,  pretty much assures you that the Jets brass think Geno sucks.  

It's also a Marketing move.  Vick gets the Jets in the news all the time.  And wow a QB competition between Geno Smith & Vick.    Vick is one of the most hated guys in the NFL, and he's barely played the past two seasons.    Why invite the circus to town for a guy who might miss more games then he plays?  And for a guy who really hasn't done all that much besides a couple of seasons in his entire NFL career.

i think the circus thing is overblown. vick showed he can be the good soldier in philly. not sure it makes smith worse in confidence department, he knows vick isn't a long term solution and it can be sold as an opportunity for him to learn from a vet. i hear what you are saying though and i guess we will find out soon enough.

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he "definitely" expects the Jets to be "in play" for free agent Michael Vick when the market opens.

Schefter indicated the Jets' interest in Vick is stronger than their desire to sign fellow free agent Josh McCown. "I don't expect Michael Vick to be back in Philadelphia," said Schefter. "...And then he's gonna have to decide what's the best circumstance for him moving forward. I think the Jets will be in play. ... I definitely think the Jets will have some level of interest in Michael Vick. Definitely." The Jets would view Vick as a training camp competitor with beleaguered sophomore quarterback Geno Smith.

I'm split on this. Part of me likes it and part of me doesn't.

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he "definitely" expects the Jets to be "in play" for free agent Michael Vick when the market opens.

Schefter indicated the Jets' interest in Vick is stronger than their desire to sign fellow free agent Josh McCown. "I don't expect Michael Vick to be back in Philadelphia," said Schefter. "...And then he's gonna have to decide what's the best circumstance for him moving forward. I think the Jets will be in play. ... I definitely think the Jets will have some level of interest in Michael Vick. Definitely." The Jets would view Vick as a training camp competitor with beleaguered sophomore quarterback Geno Smith.

I'm split on this. Part of me likes it and part of me doesn't.

All aboard the Mike Vick train.

If they get Vick, I'm betting them at 50-1, the minute it is confirmed.

Archived