The one defensive player I would love to have in Rd. 1

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BeHXzM3s5LM

Too bad we selected Milliner at 9 as Gilbert is more versatile of a prospect as a cover and return guy.

if/when the Jets cut Cro, they could very well go CB again if Gilbert is there 

he would be value at that spot and Idzik is looking for value. Again remember when Rex was hired, Ozzie Newsome said he would be begging for man to man CBs every year and that's been a true prediction. They drafted Kyle WIlson the same year they got Cro. Rex can literally not have enough press corners. They won't pass on Gilbert because of Dee Milliner. 

as for Pryor this is exactly the type of player REx wants in his defense but this team won't use the 18 pick on a hard hitting 4.66 safety. They will use it on a 4.35 CB (or 4.3 WR or 4.5 OLB etc). they will draft freaks. If Pryor is there in rd 2, then yeah game on. 

Pyror or Clinton-Dix would really help that defensive backfield, but if I could choose any defensive player outside of Clowney, I think I'm going Khalil Mack. Dude just looks like a football player and plays angry.  I also would like to see more of Dee Ford: he put on a show at the senior bowl and reports out of Auburn are that he used to practice agility and coverage drills with the defensive backs, so I believe he could make that transition to OLB pretty well. 

he would be value at that spot and Idzik is looking for value. Again remember when Rex was hired, Ozzie Newsome said he would be begging for man to man CBs every year and that's been a true prediction. They drafted Kyle WIlson the same year they got Cro. Rex can literally not have enough press corners. They won't pass on Gilbert because of Dee Milliner. 

as for Pryor this is exactly the type of player REx wants in his defense but this team won't use the 18 pick on a hard hitting 4.66 safety. They will use it on a 4.35 CB (or 4.3 WR or 4.5 OLB etc). they will draft freaks. If Pryor is there in rd 2, then yeah game on. 

4.58 and he's not going to be available in the 2nd round.

Gilbert was only a four star recruit coming out of high school. As per the Bitonti-Idzik rules, he's not drafting a freak four star guy from Ok state when a five star recruit from an SEC school could be sitting on there.

Gilbert was only a four star recruit coming out of high school. As per the Bitonti-Idzik rules, he's not drafting a freak four star guy from Ok state when a five star recruit from an SEC school could be sitting on there.

ive seen you make this snippy post a couple times. First off I am not Idzik. I don't get a pick. The current GM of the Jets has picked 2 first rounders and both were 5 star players from the SEC. you can choose to ignore that evidence, if you like. 

Last year they were drafting top 10 cusp. this year it's top 20 cusp. There literally aren't gonna be any 5 stars available unless they trade up (or the Jets have vastly different grades on Jackson Jeffcoat and Cyrus than everyone else). 4 star is fine tho.

What isn't gonna happen is a 2 star guy like dennard or a 3 star guy like Pryor. not in rd 1. That's my prediction. What's your prediction?  

ive seen you make this snippy post a couple times. First off I am not Idzik. I don't get a pick. The current GM of the Jets has picked 2 first rounders and both were 5 star players from the SEC. you can choose to ignore that evidence, if you like. 

Last year they were drafting top 10 cusp. this year it's top 20 cusp. There literally aren't gonna be any 5 stars available unless they trade up (or the Jets have vastly different grades on Jackson Jeffcoat and Cyrus than everyone else). 4 star is fine tho.

What isn't gonna happen is a 2 star guy like dennard or a 3 star guy like Pryor. not in rd 1. That's my prediction. What's your prediction?  

I think one draft is probably a little light in evidence to determine a trend. The fact that in last year's draft he was using Tannenbaum's scouting department, and this year he'll be using his own, could change the way he approaches the first round this year, too.

Geno Smith wasn't supposed to be in the 2nd round either Idzik will wait for value. He's not gonna reach. 

I'd rather they didn't go defense at all, but if they did and Idzik liked him, then I'd love to have him, from what I've heard about him from Mayock and from what little I've seen.

I have a very limited opinion in terms of draft prospects. I opened the thread to see what everyone else thought, hopefully people with more informed opinions than mine, such as yourself.

Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix was a five star prospect and is from the SEC, exactly the same combination you constantly regurgitate on here and is likely to be on the board, thus why I mentioned it.  I made the snarky comment because you make predictions on Idzik's thinking based off of one year and act like it's fact. 

My prediction depend on what we do in FA, but if I'm putting my Idzik cap on, I think Ha-Ha has to be a clear-cut favorite. Earl Thomas-like, 5 star recruit, championship winner, SEC, very good athlete and fits a position of huge need. 

Geno Smith wasn't supposed to be in the 2nd round either Idzik will wait for value. He's not gonna reach. 

That's value on the Jets' board though, which is very different from draftniks or even Kiper/Mayock. The Jets noted that they had them both in their top five last year, and there's only one person I recall having both Richardson and Milliner in their top 5 last year from the boards that I saw online.

Ultimately one year is a miniscule sample size and it's really hard to tell what Idzik is going to do. They were apparently debating Geno at 13 and then waited until he fell to 39. Does that mean they're not going to trade up this year? Maybe, but maybe there was a different reason last year or they'll be more willing with extra picks this year.

And while we're talking about freaks from the SEC, where does Donte Moncrief fall in the conversation? Not advocating picking him at 18, but if that's the criteria is he on the table? Looks like he was a four star in 2011 so not quite all the way there, but almost.

I think one draft is probably a little light in evidence to determine a trend.  

it was one draft but two first round draft picks. SO it's kinda like two drafts. There is no luxury of huge sample size in a job where the average GM gets to make less than 5 first round draft picks. Most of these guys aren't gonna get a massive amount of draft picks to draw a statistically significant sample. Idzik could have 20 draft picks and we could still play the "isn't enough evidence" Card. 

Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix was a five star prospect and is from the SEC, exactly the same combination you constantly regurgitate on here and is likely to be on the board, thus why I mentioned it.  I made the snarky comment because you make predictions on Idzik's thinking based off of one year and act like it's fact. 

My prediction depend on what we do in FA, but if I'm putting my Idzik cap on, I think Ha-Ha has to be a clear-cut favorite. Earl Thomas-like, 5 star recruit, championship winner, SEC, very good athlete and fits a position of huge need. 

HA HA is a very interesting player and as you mention he fits the Idzik trend perfectly. The one problem is that Rex doesn't prioritize free safety. He has no use for these guys. Safety traditionally isn't a first round position teams value. He's not an Eric berry type of prospect. But would I be shocked if the Jets drafted this player? no. it certainly does fit the trend. 

And while we're talking about freaks from the SEC, where does Donte Moncrief fall in the conversation? Not advocating picking him at 18, but if that's the criteria is he on the table? Looks like he was a four star in 2011 so not quite all the way there, but almost.

Love this player. If you look at the WR crop there's actually interesting guys all over the first three rounds. Personally I'd rather have moncrief at 2nd round prices over Lee at first round prices. 

I wouldn't call Ha-Ha a freak though, and frankly he's not in the same stratosphere as Earl Thomas athletically. Seems like an overreaction to Seattle's success and trying to make a player into someone he's not. Earl Thomas is pretty unique, it'd be kind of foolish to try to find a player to fill that role when a player like that probably doesn't exist in this draft or probably the next few. Especially when your team's current defensive scheme doesn't really prioritize safety play. I'm not sure Idzik is smart enough not to make a move like that, but I'd like to hope so.

The one defensive player I'd be up for in round 1 who actually might be there is Anthony Barr. Lots of talk he's slipping on boards but he's an excellent athlete and the upside is immense. Maybe not ready right now, but as a guy who can play in sub packages behind Pace and rush the passer a bit on passing downs as he adds bulk and learns more pass rushing moves (has only been playing defense I believe the last two years) I think he fits really well. Great situation for him and a gamble that's likely to pay off for the Jets given their defensive front and coaching staff, plus Barr's supposedly a hard worker. Day two or later give me Trent Murphy if they don't go OLB early.

it was one draft but two first round draft picks. SO it's kinda like two drafts. There is no luxury of huge sample size in a job where the average GM gets to make less than 5 first round draft picks. Most of these guys aren't gonna get a massive amount of draft picks to draw a statistically significant sample. Idzik could have 20 draft picks and we could still play the "isn't enough evidence" Card. 

HA HA is a very interesting player and as you mention he fits the Idzik trend perfectly. The one problem is that Rex doesn't prioritize free safety. He has no use for these guys. Safety traditionally isn't a first round position teams value. He's not an Eric berry type of prospect. But would I be shocked if the Jets drafted this player? no. it certainly does fit the trend. 

Love this player. If you look at the WR crop there's actually interesting guys all over the first three rounds. Personally I'd rather have moncrief at 2nd round prices over Lee at first round prices. 

That's why I think we might see see Moncrief go in round 1 and Lee go in round 2 come draft day. Lee seems to be following the same path Robert Woods did a year ago, though to be fair I've never liked him as much as those who thought he was a top 5 guy before this season did though.

I wouldn't call Ha-Ha a freak though, and frankly he's not in the same stratosphere as Earl Thomas athletically. Seems like an overreaction to Seattle's success and trying to make a player into someone he's not. Earl Thomas is pretty unique, it'd be kind of foolish to try to find a player to fill that role when a player like that probably doesn't exist in this draft or probably the next few. Especially when your team's current defensive scheme doesn't really prioritize safety play. I'm not sure Idzik is smart enough not to make a move like that, but I'd like to hope so.

The one defensive player I'd be up for in round 1 who actually might be there is Anthony Barr. Lots of talk he's slipping on boards but he's an excellent athlete and the upside is immense. Maybe not ready right now, but as a guy who can play in sub packages behind Pace and rush the passer a bit on passing downs as he adds bulk and learns more pass rushing moves (has only been playing defense I believe the last two years) I think he fits really well. Great situation for him and a gamble that's likely to pay off for the Jets given their defensive front and coaching staff, plus Barr's supposedly a hard worker. Day two or later give me Trent Murphy if they don't go OLB early.

I was going to rep this until you mentioned Barr.  While he might become a player, he's just not there yet.  This franchise needs plug-n-play players until they get to a point where we can start drafting developmental guys in the first round.  Just my opinion.  

Pyror or Clinton-Dix would really help that defensive backfield, but if I could choose any defensive player outside of Clowney, I think I'm going Khalil Mack. Dude just looks like a football player and plays angry.  I also would like to see more of Dee Ford: he put on a show at the senior bowl and reports out of Auburn are that he used to practice agility and coverage drills with the defensive backs, so I believe he could make that transition to OLB pretty well. 

Agreed...though I really do like the corners...Gilbert and Denard.

FTR - I dont want a safety.   I'd be fine with an OLB or Corner though...safety just doesnt tickle my fancy in the first round.

[fancy-tickle comment aside (though I'm sure there's a joke there, somewhere)]

This year is a great year to nab a safety in free agency; coupled with a weak safety class.  I can name three safeties, and a couple potential converts.  Why would we blow a first rounder on that position? This is perhaps the easiest position to shore up before draft day.  (I'm looking at Bernard Pollard, finally, James Digs, Whitner, Bethea, Adams...the list goes on)

Safeties

1. Jairus Byrd

2. T.J. Ward

3. Donte Whitner

4. Antoine Bethea

5. Chris Clemons

6. Louis Delmas

7. Malcolm Jenkins

8. Stevie Brown

9. Michael Mitchell

10. Nate Allen

11. Major Wright 

12. Charles Woodson

13. Nick Collins

14. Ryan Clark

15. James Ihedigbo

16. Bernard Pollard

17. Usama Young

18. Kendrick Lewis

19. Mike Adams

20. Chris Crocker

21. Yeremiah Bell

22. Quintin Mikell

23. Roman Harper

24. Kerry Rhodes

25. Michael Huff

26. Brandon Meriweather

27. Ryan Mundy

28. Taylor Mays

29. Ed Reed

30. Jim Leonhard

31. Husain Abdullah

32. Darrell Stuckey

33. Sergio Brown

34. Darian Stewart

35. Craig Steltz

36. Chris Maragos

37. Will Allen

38. Quintin Demps

39. Matt Giordano

40. Reed Doughty

I was being tongue in cheek with the whole 5-star recruit, SEC player with Bit, although I do actually like Clinton-Dix a lot. He's not the same athlete as Thomas from what I've seen, but then it's hard to compare measurables besides 40 as Thomas didn't participate in many of the drills.  However, at 6'1 210 lbs, he can pretty much do anything you ask for from a safety and do it at a high level. Would be an instant starter and upgrade, but there'd have to be a lot of guys off the board to make that selection. 

I'm also not sure if Rex doesn't prioritize safety play or if this is something that's just be perpetuated on message boards over the years.  He likes smart players who can line up the guys in front of him and still make the plays, which probably makes him steer clear of rookie starters, but that doesn't mean he doesn't value safety play. I'm sure if someone like Hasean, coming from a pro-style offense can grasp the concepts and provide an upgrade in play, he'd be all for it.

I'd love a Khalil Mack or possibly Ford in the first, we definitely need to add youth to our OLBs, but I'm not a big Barr fan.  He didn't blow up the combine like it was reported and only playing on this side of the ball for two years would seem like he'd be pretty raw.  He's a worker, but I'll take Mack over him every day of the week.

but I'm not a big Barr fan.  He didn't blow up the combine like it was reported and only playing on this side of the ball for two years would seem like he'd be pretty raw.  He's a worker, but I'll take Mack over him every day of the week.

mack is a blue chip, barr is a red chip. I also like Mack better but if Barr is at 18 he's quite possibly a steal. I think that's what Idzik wants. Not necessarily a 5 star SEC guy. He wants the guy who everyone projected to go top 10 and falls. People aren't mentioning him but CJ Mosely could be that player too. 

mack is a blue chip, barr is a red chip. I also like Mack better but if Barr is at 18 he's quite possibly a steal. I think that's what Idzik wants. Not necessarily a 5 star SEC guy. He wants the guy who everyone projected to go top 10 and falls. People aren't mentioning him but CJ Mosely could be that player too. 

I think part of the reason that I prefer Mack is that I've been burned on going against the guys that you can tell are football players in favor of the guys who are the converts.  I know they're not at all similar in their styles of play, but I can't shake the Dion Jordan vibe that I've been getting. Both converted offensive skill guys to OLB even though Jordan was more of the freak athlete: Barr does seem to play angrier and more aggressive however. 

Mosely is a tough one and frankly I wouldn't be too upset, so long as it meant losing Harris in the next year. He's your prototypical ILB, can cover TEs and is just a very intelligent and solid player. I'm sure it would be met with a lot of angry fans, much like last year, but if he comes out and has a Keuchly or Alonso type impact, no one's gonna complain.  And I think he's talented enough to mention him with Luke.  You do bring up a good point, there's going to be a lot of top teir defensive players who usually would go top 10 or top 15 that will be available to us when our slot rolls around.  I know you're against USC guys, but I'm still pulling for Lee or Beckham Jr, I think they'd fit the offense perfectly.

I was going to rep this until you mentioned Barr.  While he might become a player, he's just not there yet.  This franchise needs plug-n-play players until they get to a point where we can start drafting developmental guys in the first round.  Just my opinion.  

I'm pretty sure they're going to re-sign Pace and start him, and I'm not really sure where the plug and play guy is in the first at a position of need the Jets are going to value in this draft. Maybe there's a plug and play WR, but there's also going to be few a plug and play WR's in the second anyway. I think Ebron is gone and am not a huge round 1 TE guy regardless. Offensive line is hopefully taken care of pre-draft, same with corner. Inside linebacker shouldn't be a question, value won't be there at running back. Safety isn't that important for the scheme and neither of the guys is really all that physically impressive. There's obviously not going to be a quarterback.

I don't love Barr, but I think he'd be one of the more productive pass rushers in the league after a couple of years if the Jets draft him, along with having the versatilty to match up with TE's and backs in coverage a bit if they so choose. I'm not a huge fan of them drafting defense, but if they do he's the guy I want after considering need and value. 

I was being tongue in cheek with the whole 5-star recruit, SEC player with Bit, although I do actually like Clinton-Dix a lot. He's not the same athlete as Thomas from what I've seen, but then it's hard to compare measurables besides 40 as Thomas didn't participate in many of the drills.  However, at 6'1 210 lbs, he can pretty much do anything you ask for from a safety and do it at a high level. Would be an instant starter and upgrade, but there'd have to be a lot of guys off the board to make that selection. 

I'm also not sure if Rex doesn't prioritize safety play or if this is something that's just be perpetuated on message boards over the years.  He likes smart players who can line up the guys in front of him and still make the plays, which probably makes him steer clear of rookie starters, but that doesn't mean he doesn't value safety play. I'm sure if someone like Hasean, coming from a pro-style offense can grasp the concepts and provide an upgrade in play, he'd be all for it.

I'd love a Khalil Mack or possibly Ford in the first, we definitely need to add youth to our OLBs, but I'm not a big Barr fan.  He didn't blow up the combine like it was reported and only playing on this side of the ball for two years would seem like he'd be pretty raw.  He's a worker, but I'll take Mack over him every day of the week.

Barr didn't blow up the combine, but he still showed really well. His height and length are ideal for the defense, and coming in at 255 was pretty positive. Still ran well for a linebacker despite being one of the bigger guys there, had a great 10 yard split and 3 cone which are huge for pass rushers.

I'll take Mack over Barr too, but Mack's not going to be there at 18. Barr might.

I also think the rawness is somewhat mitigated by the fact that Pace is probably getting re-signed to a cheap deal and going to allow them to ease in a young linebacker anyway. Great situation for Barr to learn from a pro's pro, play under a great defensive coaching staff, and play behind an unreal defensive line. The upside is pretty huge and I think he would hit it in New York just because it's a fantastic situation for an OLB to land in. Pace's best years are behind him and he still had ten sacks last year.

Barr didn't blow up the combine, but he still showed really well. His height and length are ideal for the defense, and coming in at 255 was pretty positive. Still ran well for a linebacker despite being one of the bigger guys there, had a great 10 yard split and 3 cone which are huge for pass rushers.

I'll take Mack over Barr too, but Mack's not going to be there at 18. Barr might.

I also think the rawness is somewhat mitigated by the fact that Pace is probably getting re-signed to a cheap deal and going to allow them to ease in a young linebacker anyway. Great situation for Barr to learn from a pro's pro, play under a great defensive coaching staff, and play behind an unreal defensive line. The upside is pretty huge and I think he would hit it in New York just because it's a fantastic situation for an OLB to land in. Pace's best years are behind him and he still had ten sacks last year.

Certainly possible and I'm not saying he won't be good, just that I get an odd vibe with him and he wouldn't be my ideal choice, but not one that I'd be upset about as I understand his value. At least his perceived value. 

One of the guys in that same mold who I'm interested to see what he does at his pro-day is Dee Ford. Great size and showed that he can flat out dominate at the senior bowl: if he's as athletic as some are saying, I think he could make that transition pretty easily as wlel.

My thoughts exactly, get a big guy in the 2nd or 3rd round, and have him play the Kam Chancellor role. 

Anybody have thoughts on Jonathan Dowling if he drops?  I'm not sure what his maturity level is, but I watched him play a game or two and he seemed to bring the lumber. 

The only game I saw Mack in was the Potato Bowl and he did not stand out. My buddy's cousin plays right next to him, but we didn't find out until the season had ended.  Shows you how much you find out watching a game or two.  I saw Gholston against Michigan and I was hooked.  

Archived