•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The one defensive player I would love to have in Rd. 1

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

What ever happened to RYAN SHAZIER. I have not seen his name mentioned anywhere. Has his stock plummeted that much after the combine. I know he seemed to small to play linebacker, but he looked like he could be a safety if he could adjust. Is he basically a tweener who will drop?

6'1" 237 and didn't run at Indy. Too small for this defense, except at ILB. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#52 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

6'1" 237 and didn't run at Indy. Too small for this defense, except at ILB. 

Oh, no. I never wanted the guy. Just was wondering what happened to him. Some had him as a mid-first, but it appears he may be out of the first completely now?

Posted Image

#53 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

You have the numbers right.  I think Harris looked pretty good last season.  $7M is still way too much, but with all the money they have I'm okay with keeping him and he provides some stability while they should be looking hard at getting younger at OLB. 

I could live with that. I don't really know how great his responsibilities are on defense as far as lining up the lineman and whatnot, so I'm sure he has added value there. It seems as though Davis is growing into a pretty damned good player, so Harris' loss should be mitigated a bit.  He definitely did play better this year, but I'm sure a good chunk of that was because of how good our line was.  He needs to be dominant in the run game in order to offset how terrible he is in coverage and often times last year he just wasn't, completely missing angles and the ball-carrier.  Either way, I'm always up for upgrading a position and saving money, so if it's not this year, it'll be next year that we need his replacement, assuming we don't resign him to some stupid contract extension.

#54 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, that would be a complete steal.

Speaking of which, I just realized you're losing almost your whole offense this offseason.  You go the Fuerette kid or whatever his name is coming in...but damn, you're losing the whole squad sans some OL guys.

Yea, we're losing a solid chunk of guys, but honestly, as long as Jennings plays well, their defense is returning a lot of players and should remain competitive.  You hear Koy Detmers 14 year old nephew gave an oral-commitment to LSU after Cam saw him at a bunch of games and camps and offered him a scholarship.  Apparently the kid is already 6'4" 210+ and is basically being coached daily by the Detmers and others.  These freaking kids man, they basically are bred to play football and groomed since they can walk.

#55 Jetknowledge

Jetknowledge

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I'd rather they didn't go defense at all, but if they did and Idzik liked him, then I'd love to have him, from what I've heard about him from Mayock and from what little I've seen.

I have a very limited opinion in terms of draft prospects. I opened the thread to see what everyone else thought, hopefully people with more informed opinions than mine, such as yourself.

If we go D, then rex and idzik will decide together and I see them going linebacker since the best backer will be gone I see dee ford or cj mosley but I think they're going receiver back to back.

#56 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 38,322 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Yea, we're losing a solid chunk of guys, but honestly, as long as Jennings plays well, their defense is returning a lot of players and should remain competitive.  You hear Koy Detmers 14 year old nephew gave an oral-commitment to LSU after Cam saw him at a bunch of games and camps and offered him a scholarship.  Apparently the kid is already 6'4" 210+ and is basically being coached daily by the Detmers and others.  These freaking kids man, they basically are bred to play football and groomed since they can walk.

14?  What are they feeding him?

Its ridiculous.  I'm having a hard time with the high school recruitment process these days, a verbal commit is squat.  And if you're a fan of the Gators, you're consistently let down.

Posted Image

#57 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 28,040 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

My top three at #18 (based on who I think will be available):

1. Jace Amaro
2. Marqise Lee
3. Odell Beckham Jr
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#58 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

14?  What are they feeding him?

Its ridiculous.  I'm having a hard time with the high school recruitment process these days, a verbal commit is squat.  And if you're a fan of the Gators, you're consistently let down.

F*ck if I know, but I wish my parents fed/infused it to me when I was growing up. Yea, the kid followed it up with: "if they have a couple losing seasons or some big coaching changes, my opinion can obviously change, but it's my favorite school and I hope to play there" etc.  So who knows, but the recruiting process is getting insane. Don't tell me these kids are being recruited in middle school and not offered absurd amounts of perks or money to go there when they've been showing interest for 5+ years. 

#59 bassmaster2

bassmaster2

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

The Jets need to go get a WR or TE in round 1 , forget about defense , D can't score points

#60 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

The Jets need to go get a WR or TE in round 1 , forget about defense , D can't score points

The inherent flaw with that logic is that you have no idea who's available at 18 without saying how it falls.  You can say this, but what happens when Watkins, Evans, Lee, Ebron are all off the board and one of the top defensive prospects falls to 18? On top of that, it's an extremely deep draft at WR, so there's a very good chance you get a good player falling to #50, where Idzik could use an extra pick to move up a few spots if someone he really likes is there.

#61 Jetlife33

Jetlife33

Gotham City Football Club

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

1. Jace Amaro
2. Marqise Lee
3. Odell Beckham Jr

Interesting to see you have Amaro above Lee. Do you have Amaro above Ebron as well or you don't think he'll be available at 18?

New-York-Jets-Helmet-2.gif

#62 TuscanyTile2

TuscanyTile2

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix was a five star prospect and is from the SEC, exactly the same combination you constantly regurgitate on here and is likely to be on the board, thus why I mentioned it.  I made the snarky comment because you make predictions on Idzik's thinking based off of one year and act like it's fact. 

My prediction depend on what we do in FA, but if I'm putting my Idzik cap on, I think Ha-Ha has to be a clear-cut favorite. Earl Thomas-like, 5 star recruit, championship winner, SEC, very good athlete and fits a position of huge need. 

How great would it be if the Jets drafted him and this was displayed on the jumbo-tron after every big hit he made...

001.jpg

Edited by TuscanyTile2, 26 February 2014 - 07:56 PM.

"Now let's go out there and show them we're not a bunch of horses' asses"  - Leon Hess

#63 TuscanyTile2

TuscanyTile2

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

I'm fine w/ Dix but I'd also be good w/ Stephon Tuitt from ND.

"Now let's go out there and show them we're not a bunch of horses' asses"  - Leon Hess

#64 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

How great would it be if the Jets drafted him and this was displayed on the jumbo-tron after every big hit he made...

001.jpg

Would actually love it. The Simpsons played a major roll in my youth, especially the good years.  

#65 bassmaster2

bassmaster2

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

The inherent flaw with that logic is that you have no idea who's available at 18 without saying how it falls.  You can say this, but what happens when Watkins, Evans, Lee, Ebron are all off the board and one of the top defensive prospects falls to 18? On top of that, it's an extremely deep draft at WR, so there's a very good chance you get a good player falling to #50, where Idzik could use an extra pick to move up a few spots if someone he really likes is there.

There is 2 good TE in the draft , 5 good WR in the draft ,without being a reach and 1 or 2 going to be there at 18 , the Jets need OT , OG and RB there are many needs without take another defensive player and hearing all the complaints , D the first 2 rounds the last 2 years

#66 CotcheryifyouCan

CotcheryifyouCan

J-E-T-S

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

i think dennard is going to be a real good player in the league as well as gilbert and mack, that being said i still hope we go wr in rd 1

#67 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Bingo.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#68 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,603 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

Bingo.

You need to console your partner in the booth. He's got him as an average safety prospect. 

back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#69 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

You need to console your partner in the booth. He's got him as an average safety prospect. 

Shhhhh. It makes for good radio.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#70 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Bingo.

After seeing 4 safeties go in this first round, clearly I was wrong about Pryor being a reach. the value of the safety position has changed in this league and, it's a lesson learned.

Well done buddy. Nice call for back in Feb. 

Edited by bitonti, 08 May 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#71 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

After seeing 4 safeties go in this first round, clearly I was wrong about Pryor being a reach. the value of the safety position has changed in this league and, it's a lesson learned.

Well done buddy. Nice call for back in Feb. 

Thank, Bit. He reminded me of Bob Sanders, one of my favorite non-Jets and drafting him for me, meant that we were comfortable at CB, which is hardly the case now that it has all played out and they didn't address the position in free agency (Patterson does not count for me) but they're comfortable enough I guess.

Edited by Gastineau Lives, 09 May 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#72 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Thank, Bit. He reminded me of Bob Sanders, one of my favorite non-Jets and drafting him for me, meant that we were comfortable at CB, which is hardly the case now that it has all played out and they didn't address the position in free agency (Patterson does not count for me) but they're comfortable enough I guess.

if you look at Jason's cap site, Patterson is something crazy like the 10 th highest paid Jet this year. More a function of how few people are getting money from this team right now, but still. 

Bob Sanders is a nice comparison. Pryor isn't as fast but he's also considerably larger. 

#73 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 38,322 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

1. Jace Amaro
2. Marqise Lee
3. Odell Beckham Jr

Happy now ass bag?