Melo's Farewell Tour--Remainder of 2013-2014 NY Knicks Thread

SMC

Pairing Dolan with Melo was destined for failure. Dolan will never cede power to a coach and he's so scared of Melo leaving he lets him do whatever he wants. Melo needs a coach that's going to challnege him. I don't know if he wants it back.

Agreed....

I have never been a big Melo fan, and the one thing I have learned this season is that he is not and probably never will be a guy like Kobe or MJ who takes control of the team and holds his teammates responsible for the way the play on the court or play for a coach i.e Popovich who will hold them responsible.

He is a great wingman but is not pilot material.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy folks on the Melo bashing, you are all haters or trolls if you have this POV.

As for the Knicks, nothing will change as long as Dolan is there.  No coach will want to go there, no players will want to play there, the allure of MSG is not what it once was.  The Yankees only became successful when George was banned, and unless Dolan cedes power and lets a basketball person run the team this team will be stuck in the same cycle it has been for the past 15 years.

This team right now is a joke and with the roster and this terrible conference should be a LOCK for the playoffs and everyone is to blame for that.

Easy folks on the Melo bashing, you are all haters or trolls if you have this POV.

As for the Knicks, nothing will change as long as Dolan is there. No coach will want to go there, no players will want to play there, the allure of MSG is not what it once was. The Yankees only became successful when George was banned, and unless Dolan cedes power and lets a basketball person run the team this team will be stuck in the same cycle it has been for the past 15 years.

This team right now is a joke and with the roster and this terrible conference should be a LOCK for the playoffs and everyone is to blame for that.

I agree

Stern should've suspended Dolan after the ABS harassment suit, like George was suspended.

That was the only way things could get better.

Short of that, Dolan needs to hire a bball exec and give him complete control. That ain't happening but it's still a possibility.

Agreed....

I have never been a big Melo fan, and the one thing I have learned this season is that he is not and probably never will be a guy like Kobe or MJ who takes control of the team and holds his teammates responsible for the way the play on the court or play for a coach i.e Popovich who will hold them responsible.

He is a great wingman but is not pilot material.

I agree with this except for the persistent strawman argument that he won't play for a coach who will hold him responsible.

There's no evidence to support that narrative. Doc Rivers, Thibs would hold him responsible. You guys really think Melo wouldn't want to sign with Clips or Bulls?

I agree with this except for the persistent strawman argument that he won't play for a coach who will hold him responsible.

There's no evidence to support that narrative. Doc Rivers, Thibs would hold him responsible. You guys really think Melo wouldn't want to sign with Clips or Bulls?

Clippers yeah definitely. Would love to see him in San Antonio- never going to happen but would be quite the litmus test of how right or wrong I've been about him.

Dolan is the worst. I don't know what else to say. It doesn't have to be like this and it wouldn't be that difficult to fix.

Clippers yeah definitely. Would love to see him in San Antonio- never going to happen but would be quite the litmus test of how right or wrong I've been about him.

Dolan is the worst. I don't know what else to say. It doesn't have to be like this and it wouldn't be that difficult to fix.

Spurs are under the cap next season to sign an impact FA. Hmm.

Yeah, on Dolan. Hire a real basketball guy and go play with the blues band.

The problem is that when Dolan did that, the basketball guy was Isiah.

Crazy possibility? JVG has reconciled with Dolan according to Isola. Make JVG president and coach and let him build the team. I don't even mind Houston still being there.

LOL, Chris Smith has been waived by Erie Bayhawks, Knicks D League team because of run ins with coaches.

Is it July 1 already?

Adrian Wojnarowski

Before Erie released Chris Smith today, he had packed up and left team several days ago, source tells Yahoo. Didn't like his playing time. 

Sounds about right

I'm the complete opposite of T0m, so I'm an eternal optimist (I also have a wife, kids, my own home and great career, like I said, completely opposite than T0m).

Anyway, I know that Dolan is The Devil, but maybe there's a .5% chance that there is a rational reason why he has kept Woody on even though the team is suffering blow out after blowout.

Perhaps its Jeff Van Gundy.

JVG has publicly said he doesn't talk about coaching jobs when a coach is still in place.  He has also defended Woodson earlier this year.  However, on the Stephen A show he said the biggest problem was the roster, and was less vehement in his defense of Woodson.

Isola, Berman and now O'Connor have written about the possibility of JVG's return and all three, to some degree, have insiders in the Garden.

Maybe, just maybe, Dolan will be sensible and make JVG an offer he can't refuse.  A boatload of money and complete control.  Let Dolan worry about his music and the celebrities in the Garden, and let JVG worry about basketball.

Maybe, just maybe.

Thankfully the Knicks saved me the trouble and started the year in full loser stride.  Saved me the time of investing countless hours watching their games.

Such a sad state of affairs.  Used to be a time I'd miss a handful of games all year..  Now all I can stomach watching is a handful.

Fyi for Knick fans from late 80's to 00'..  Charles Oakley will be on Chopped this Sunday..  yeah yeah I know but it's actually not that bad of a show.  The lady friend finally broke me down.

Broussard is reporting that Noah recruited Melo over All Star weekend, telling Melo that if he wants a ring he should sign with Chicago. Melo said he admires how hard the Bulls play, how hungry they are, and that Derrick Rose is his son's favorite player.

Broussard also reported that Rose wants the Bulls to add Melo.

The Love stuff is hilarious. He's signing with the Lakers.

The Knicks aren't getting anyone in 2015. They have to hope Hardaway turns out good and they hit on the 2015 1st.

Hopefully the Knicks can get a late 2014 1st rounder for Chandler.

The Love stuff is hilarious. He's signing with the Lakers.

The Knicks aren't getting anyone in 2015. They have to hope Hardaway turns out good and they hit on the 2015 1st.

Hopefully the Knicks can get a late 2014 1st rounder for Chandler.

Parsons would be a guy id target in 2015. Good player, Houston can't afford, won't break the bank.

Broussard is reporting that Noah recruited Melo over All Star weekend, telling Melo that if he wants a ring he should sign with Chicago. Melo said he admires how hard the Bulls play, how hungry they are, and that Derrick Rose is his son's favorite player.

Broussard also reported that Rose wants the Bulls to add Melo.

Can't see Melo playing for 14 mill when he could get 22.

If he turns it down it doesn't make the Knicks look any better, it means the situation is too much of an abortion for him to get involved

True, but it gives them a couple of days of good press.

Reports are mentioning a consulting role, which doesn't make sense. They need him to run the whole thing.

if you hire Jackson in the front office you can probably rule Van Gundy out as head coach. don't they hate each other?

I don't have any idea what kind of personnel guy Phil Jackson would be but it doesn't matter who the coach is till Dolan lets it run like a professional basketball team. If there's any chance it could get him to act like a real owner I'm in.

if you hire Jackson in the front office you can probably rule Van Gundy out as head coach. don't they hate each other?

You' have a better chance of seeing Pat Summit coach this team before Jeff Van Gundy. The Phil Jackson noise is just deflection--Dolan trying to make himself appear to be a pro-active big boy. Besides that, Jackson would be a horrible GM.

You' have a better chance of seeing Pat Summit coach this team before Jeff Van Gundy. The Phil Jackson noise is just deflection--Dolan trying to make himself appear to be a pro-active big boy. Besides that, Jackson would be a horrible GM.

I agree with all this except Phil being a horrible GM. You have absolutely no basis for that statement. We simply dont know how he'll be.

I agree with all this except Phil being a horrible GM. You have absolutely no basis for that statement. We simply dont know how he'll be.

The Jackson Plan:

1. Inherit superstar(s)

2. Surround them with scrappy white guys and rejects.

3. Run Triangle.

Good luck.

Archived