Melo's Farewell Tour--Remainder of 2013-2014 NY Knicks Thread

SMC

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this said, I dont like bringing in Jackson. My preference is to turn over total control to Jeff Van Gundy

For post Melo rebuilding, trade players for picks, clear cap space for 2015 and have Hardaway part of their core.

The Jackson Plan:

1. Inherit superstar(s)

2. Surround them with scrappy white guys and rejects.

3. Run Triangle.

Good luck.

Anything beats Dolan

1. Give blank check to Denver

2. Pat self on back/tour with Eagles

3. Lose

4. Fire Mr Pringles and hire Mr Potato Head

5. Get feelings hurt, let.Lin walk

6. Win 55 games

7. Pat self on back, fire GM day before training camp, possibly because he's getting to much of your credit for the Bargnani trade............. tour with Eagles.

8. Have embarrassing half a season

9. Realize Felton is still fat and worthless, try to get Lin back

10. Make bogus offer to Phil Jackson

11. Pat self on back

12. Kevin Love 2015

13. ????????????????

14. Profit

I saw that SNT, and the article said the Knicks' offer to Jackson included complete control of the basketball operations.

I prefer JVG but this is a move in right direction

The Jackson thing is cheap grace. Dolan gets to preen how he offered Jackson a job, and when he turns it down he gets to crow a bit about being proactive. Only curveball is Jackson living on a beach in California woould not be a new thing at MSG since Glenn Sather lives on the fairway of a Palm Springs golf course and is barely in NYC. Kind of the same idea-overpaying a guy who has had success looks like a smart move superficially. But in both cases the past successes of both guys were more predicated on being blessed with once in a generation great talent (and not screwing it up) rather thna anything great they did.

But really what very rich 68 year old guy is going to leave a Malibu beach house to deal with this nonsense?Sather had a retirement to fund, Jackson is already there.

I agree, Bugg.

The irony of this is that Knicks fans were screwed by bad timing. Dolan is a Name whore, willing to sign any big name.

However, when Checketts and Riley got into a power struggle, Dolan wasnt in charge of the Knicks yet. If he was, he'd have likely sided with Riley because of his name. Classic blind squirrel scenario. Alas, the basketball gods were against us,

I'd let you run things through morse code if it ment Dolan went away.

True.

He also needs knee replacement so he won't be traveling a lot.

But the Internet and videoconferencing makes things easier.

You' have a better chance of seeing Pat Summit coach this team before Jeff Van Gundy. The Phil Jackson noise is just deflection--Dolan trying to make himself appear to be a pro-active big boy. Besides that, Jackson would be a horrible GM.

I heard that JVG wanted the job back because he didn't like the way it ended. I'd love him - he makes the right decisions at the end of games that help you win

The Jackson thing is cheap grace. Dolan gets to preen how he offered Jackson a job, and when he turns it down he gets to crow a bit about being proactive. Only curveball is Jackson living on a beach in California woould not be a new thing at MSG since Glenn Sather lives on the fairway of a Palm Springs golf course and is barely in NYC. Kind of the same idea-overpaying a guy who has had success looks like a smart move superficially. But in both cases the past successes of both guys were more predicated on being blessed with once in a generation great talent (and not screwing it up) rather thna anything great they did.

But really what very rich 68 year old guy is going to leave a Malibu beach house to deal with this nonsense?Sather had a retirement to fund, Jackson is already there.

Even if Jackson gets the job I'll be surprised if he lasts a year. You're 100% right, Dolan is a meddlesome bastard.

Berman of the Post now contradicting ESPN on the complete control issue. Berman wrote that according to a league source it wouldn't be complete control.

More clown show by Dolan.

That said, we dont know if Berman is reading the situation right. We knew the Mills would stay on. His presence does not mean Jax would be without complete power. He hired Isiah and Isiah had the power.

Berman of the Post now contradicting ESPN on the complete control issue. Berman wrote that according to a league source it wouldn't be complete control.

More clown show by Dolan.

That said, we dont know if Berman is reading the situation right. We knew the Mills would stay on. His presence does not mean Jax would be without complete power. He hired Isiah and Isiah had the power.

Berman is Dolan's delivery boy.

Berman is Dolan's delivery boy.

I know, which gives his story credence.

Having Jax there as a consultant is useless and Dolan esque.

My point was solely about Mills presence, which doesn't impact control either way. Mills isnt a basketball guy.

If Dolan left Jackosn alone mostly as he does do with Sather(with mixed results) may be it works. But the reason given in today's headlines is that somehow Dolan thinks this would attract free agents. Grant that Jackson is smart and charismatic. But none of that means crap to most of these players today.It's about money; between the cap and NY tax laws, the Knicks are mostly screwed. It would be win win for Dolan; if Jackson's Knicks win, wonderful. If not he has another scapegoat. But the one thing Dolan does not grasp; Jackson is popular with the media and around the NBA (except people named Van Gundy).Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh, while well-respected, were not on this level. Either you hire Jackson and leave him alone or understand the day you fire him or undercut him (as Dolan did to those 2) the backlash is going to be something ridiculous.

Still have a hard time seeing why Jackson risks his reputation and sanity to deal with this mess. If control is an issue before Jackson is even officially hired, that means Dolan mostly wants points simply for offering the job.

If Dolan left Jackosn alone mostly as he does do with Sather(with mixed results) may be it works. But the reason given in today's headlines is that somehow Dolan thinks this would attract free agents. Grant that Jackson is smart and charismatic. But none of that means crap to most of these players today.It's about money; between the cap and NY tax laws, the Knicks are mostly screwed. It would be win win for Dolan; if Jackson's Knicks win, wonderful. If not he has another scapegoat. But the one thing Dolan does not grasp; Jackson is popular with the media and around the NBA (except people named Van Gundy).Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh, while well-respected, were not on this level. Either you hire Jackson and leave him alone or understand the day you fire him or undercut him (as Dolan did to those 2) the backlash is going to be something ridiculous.

Still have a hard time seeing why Jackson risks his reputation and sanity to deal with this mess. If control is an issue before Jackson is even officially hired, that means Dolan mostly wants points simply for offering the job.

Dolan: "Hi, Phil. I give you $8 million dollars, you have to be in New York for, I dunno, four days total. One for the presser, one on draft day, then two for corporate events. Whattya say?"

Jackson: "Nine million. Three days."

Dolan: "Done."

You'll know how much control he has by whether or not JR Smith gets cut this week.

We can only wish.

The main point is that Mills doexnt affect control, Dolan does. Mills is there on the non basketball side.

Again, if Dolan is willing to just play music and count money, then this might work.

Give the Knicks this if Berman is being spoonfed his; it's dawning on them that Anthony,great scorer he is,  is not  winning player.Rather than bemoan his oping otu they may begive a ride to the aiport espeically if Jackson takes the job.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/09/anthony-in-the-dark-about-knicks-pursuit-of-jackson/

The one person the Knicks should be trying to impress doesn’t seem so impressed with the Knicks’ expected hiring of legendary coach Phil Jackson to their front office.

In fact, Carmelo Anthony admitted he was in the dark regarding the team’s pursuit of Jackson and thought it would be best executed after the season.

A source told The Post the Knicks expect the Hall-of-Fame coach in the fold any day. The Post reported in Sunday’s editions Jackson was “real close’’ to agreeing to join the Knicks front office and return to the organization that drafted him in 1967.

There are ongoing discussions about his exact role, but The Post reported Knicks president Steve Mills would retain a similar position.

“I don’t even know what’s going on with that,’’ Anthony said late Saturday night after the Knicks beat the Cavaliers for their third straight win. “Nobody came to me about that. Until that time comes, I’m not going to know what’s going on.

“It’s hard to say at this particular moment. If anything, it’s not going to be right now. I’m pretty sure they’d try to wait for the offseason and then we’ll deal with all that stuff.’’

With Jackson living in Manhattan Beach, Calif., it’s possible he wouldn’t start the job until after the season ends. Jackson reportedly could have a title of president of basketball operations.

Anthony and the Knicks, who host the Sixers Monday, now find themselves back in a playoff race after gaining three games in four days. They trail the eighth-seeded Hawks by 3 ½ games with 18 to play.

Anthony’s failure to give Jackson an endorsement was notable, if not troublesome, considering he will be a free agent July 1. Jackson was critical of the Knicks roster in 2012 after he surprisingly wasn’t offered the team’s coaching job. The Knicks promoted Mike Woodson to interim coach and never contacted Jackson, who owns 11 championship rings as a coach.

In the interview two years ago with HBO’s Real Sports, Jackson called the roster “clumsy.’’

“Well, they don’t fit together well,’’ Jackson said at the time. “[Amar’e] Stoudemire doesn’t fit together well with Carmelo. Stoudemire’s a really good player. But he’s got to play in a certain system and a way. Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can’t stop every time it hits his hands. They need to have someone come in that can kind of blend that group together.’’

They are blending together better now. The Knicks have dealt with enough distractions this season and now are finally showing a touch of chemistry and urgency. The Tyson Chandler-Stoudemire-Anthony frontcourt has started the past four games. Stoudemire came off the bench the last two seasons because of his minutes cap/injuries.

“It’s taken me a while,’’ Woodson said of finding the right mix. “I’ve been shuffling all season based on injuries. That’s what we do as coaches. You got to keep trying things. This lineup has been working well the last few games.’’

As for Jackson, the Garden still won’t comment on its pursuit. The club is holding a press conference Monday in Westchester to announce its new D-League team will be in White Plains next season. Some Knicks executives will be on hand, but Jackson isn’t expected.

Former Knicks coach and league disciplinarian Stu Jackson, who now works for NBA TV, said it would be a boon to land the former Bulls and Lakers coach, even if he won’t be on the sidelines. The Post has reported Jackson needs a second knee replacement, ending his coaching days.

“When you start with the Knicks, you’re looking for that wow celebrity factor that Phil Jackson obviously brings,’’ Stu Jackson said. “But he brings so much more — knowledge he has not only about what it takes in terms of winning but personnel, coaches, team culture. It’s a win-win for the Knicks and their fans.”

The Knicks will extend second 10-day contracts to Earl Clark and Shannon Brown Monday. They were signed after the Knicks bought out the contracts of Beno Udrih and Metta World Peace after the trade deadline.

When Melo goes to the Bulls and wins a title in the next 2 years, this "not a winning player" false narrative will vanish.

The same thing happened to KG, Pierce and Dirk.

That said, hopefully the Knicks will move on and build something substantive in 2015 forward.

Brooklyn Nets are 3-0 vs the Heat this year. They beat then last night without Garnett and Kirilenko. If they can avoid the Pacers, the Nets could be in the Finals this year. Crazy to think about.

You're the main proponent that teams like the Heat don't really care till the postseason. I think we where 3-1 against them in the regular season last year

Brooklyn Nets are 3-0 vs the Heat this year. They beat then last night without Garnett and Kirilenko. If they can avoid the Pacers, the Nets could be in the Finals this year. Crazy to think about.

While last nights win was very impressive, they arent getting to the Finals come on man.

Archived