SANTONIO: OUT

T0mShane

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/03/breaking-new-york-jets-release-wr-santonio-holmes/#more-20693

In a long expected move that will immediately free up 8.25 million of cap space, the New York Jets have released wide receiver Santonio Holmes. Before 2011, Holmes was signed to a monster 5 year, 45.25 million dollar contract after putting together a clutch 2010 season for the team. Unfortunately, he never came close to living up to the deal, struggling with inconsistency and injuries over the past three seasons. Holmes is likely to enter a harsh market that is loaded with players who have been more productive in recent years. He may be forced into taking a one year “show me” deal.

There were rough patches the past few years but let’s not forget Holmes role in nearly getting the Jets to a Super Bowl in 2010. It will be interesting to see how a fully healthy Holmes can produce in 2014, depending on the offense he ends up on. Arizona could be a potential landing place.

Unfortunately in New York, it kind of seems like everything went downhill from here.

With the departure of Holmes, the depth chart is now headlined by Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Stephen Hill. The Jets are expected to be active in the free agent market for a wide receiver. We have included links below to the work we’ve done previewing some of their potential targets. The team is also likely to consider adding another receiver or two in the NFL Draft, which is particularly deep this year at the position.

Holmes always had a contentious relationship with the New York media and a few locker room issues that were outlined more clearly in Collision: Low Crossers. However, his teammates always spoke of him in a high regard and in our personal dealings with him, he was always a courteous and kind individual.

Yeah, I loved when he did them and we were down 42-7, or signaled 1st down, one of three we usually made all game.

Sad thing is, He will probably put up 65, 1100, 7tds in NEW ENGLAND next year.

That is the sad thing. Guy is the most talented WR we've had in a long time... Unfortunately he's a douche and hurt often. If he ends up with a real QB and stays healthy, I'd bet he'll have a good season.

Santonio Holmes was only as good as the team around him. When Braylon Edwards was here they made a dynamic duo. Wish him the best lets see who Idzik signs and drafts for WRs until we start celebrating.

Still very excited for the day we have a WR as good as JN thinks Braylon is!!!

Santonio Holmes was only as good as the team around him. When Braylon Edwards was here they made a dynamic duo. Wish him the best lets see who Idzik signs and drafts for WRs until we start celebrating.

I agree. I love Braylon. Can't believe how many times we've cut and resigned him... He was the best WR on the roster in the pre-season, and the first WR to be cut. Classic Jets.

That is the sad thing. Guy is the most talented WR we've had in a long time... Unfortunately he's a douche and hurt often. If he ends up with a real QB and stays healthy, I'd bet he'll have a good season.

If Rex can't reach him, no one can.

Archived