SANTONIO: OUT

T0mShane

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see who replaces him before we go celebrating.

Considering that he was 7th on the team in receptions for one of the league's worst receiving corps (if not the worst), I'm thinking replacing him is hardly of particular concern.  The Jets no doubt need to massively upgrade their WRs, but that wouldn't be any different at all even if Holmes were kept.

WOW cant figure why so many here hate Braylon Edwards the guy was a beast!!!!!!!!

I agree. It still hurts to think we chose Holmes over him and just disregarded him. I seriously have no idea WTF happened there. 

Clyde Gates and Ben Obamanu aren't improvements just saying.

Did my "LOL" come across as making that argument?

I laughed because it's ironic that you've suggested we add every washed up WR possible to "upgrade" our offense with a speed burner possession receiver, but then you warn of the potential disappointment of replacing Holmes with someone unsatisfactory. It is LOL worthy.

Carry on. :)

The Jets are only cutting guys when the replacement has been solidified.  

They Cut Cro when Verner agreed in principle and now release Holmes because they have a handshake with Golden Tate. 

They will cut Sanchez when they get the guy they want at QB. Whether Schaub, Mccown or Vick. Sanchez will not be cut until the next guy is pretty much agreed upon.

We have a real GM now and open who covers his bases prior to cutting off his nose.  

Oh… and I just made that all up. But I like it though.   :D

The Jets are only cutting guys when the replacement has been solidified.  

They Cut Cro when Verner agreed in principle and now release Holmes because they have a handshake with Golden Tate. 

They will cut Sanchez when they get the guy they want at QB. Whether Schaub, Mccown or Vick. Sanchez will not be cut until the next guy is pretty much agreed upon.

We have a real GM now and open who covers his bases prior to cutting off his nose.  

Oh… and I just made that all up. But I like it though.   :biggrin:

Would be amazing.

That is the sad thing. Guy is the most talented WR we've had in a long time... Unfortunately he's a douche and hurt often. If he ends up with a real QB and stays healthy, I'd bet he'll have a good season.

I agree I do think in the right system with a tougher coach he will be a good WR !!

Did my "LOL" come across as making that argument?

I laughed because it's ironic that you've suggested we add every washed up WR possible to "upgrade" our offense with a speed burner possession receiver, but then you warn of the potential disappointment of replacing Holmes with someone unsatisfactory. It is LOL worthy.

Carry on. :)

Who are your choices at WR?

Who are your choices at WR?

James Jones and Golden Tate are my preferences. Both of whom still have their best football ahead of them. 

Combine them, with Kerley, whoever we draft as a rookie, and Hill and I think we are on the road to vast improvement. I would also like to see us add Garrett Graham (or a rookie TE with a receiving skillset) and Darren Sproles as receiving targets, that don't necessarily play WR.

Complete offensive overhaul.

James Jones and Golden Tate are my preferences. Both of whom still have their best football ahead of them. 

Combine them, with Kerley, whoever we draft as a rookie, and Hill and I think we are on the road to vast improvement. I would also like to see us add Garrett Graham (or a rookie TE with a receiving skillset) and Darren Sproles as receiving targets, that don't necessarily play WR.

Totally disagree in the JAGS you listed they are mediocre NFL WRs we need a playmaker WR we wont win a Super Bowl or even sniff one without superstar playmakers on offense.

ets release WR Santonio Holmes
Updated: March 10, 2014, 3:59 PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

After four turbulent seasons with the New York Jets, wide receiver Santonio Holmes is looking for a new team.

In a long-anticipated move, Holmes was released Monday after a second straight injury-plagued season. His lack of production, coupled with a $10.75 million salary-cap charge in 2014, were the primary reasons behind the Jets' decision.

Only five years ago, Holmes was named Super Bowl MVP as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In a span of 24 hours, the Jets cleared $17.75 million in cap room by releasing Holmes and cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

"I appreciate Tone's contributions over the last four seasons," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "I've always admired his knack for making the clutch play. He's a tremendous competitor who wants the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. I wish him nothing but the best."

Holmes, who turned 30 last week, made only 43 receptions over the past two seasons and missed 17 games with foot and hamstring injuries. His LisFranc injury in 2012, which required two operations, was a devastating blow. He made it back for 2013, but he wasn't the same player and ended up tearing a hamstring that cost him five games in the middle of the season.

Recognizing his prohibitive cap number, Holmes said at the end of the season that he'd be willing to take a pay cut for the second consecutive year to stay with the team. But the Jets want to rebuild at receiver with younger, faster players. Holmes finished with only four 100-yard receiving days in 43 games with New York.

Holmes signed a five-year, $45 million contract in 2011, capitalizing on an impressive 2010 -- his first season with the Jets. But once he got the big deal, his numbers declined and his attitude soured. A high-ranking team official once described him as "a pain in the a--."

Holmes wound up collecting $25 million on the contract, breaking down to $255,000 per reception.

It was an eventful run in New York, not all of it good.

One year after winning the Super Bowl, Holmes violated the league's substance-abuse policy and was traded to the Jets on the cheap -- for a fifth-round draft pick. He became an integral part of the team's playoff run in 2010, his signature moment an acrobatic scoring catch in the Jets' upset of the New England Patriots in the divisional playoffs.

In 2011, Holmes became a disruptive force in the locker room, clashing with quarterbackMark Sanchez. Holmes -- named a captain by Rex Ryan before the season -- was such a problem that the coach decided to abolish the tradition of naming permanent captains.

At the time, the Jets might have released Holmes if it hadn't been for the large amount of guaranteed money in his contract.

He sparked controversy to the very end, creating headlines before a Week 15, do-or-die game against the Carolina Panthers. He said the Panthers' secondary was "the weakest link" of their defense, and that was a motivating factor, several Carolina players said after beating the Jets.

Holmes was a nonfactor in the game, dropping the first ball thrown to him and finishing the Jets' 30-20 loss with two catches for 14 yards. 

Totally disagree in the JAGS you listed they are mediocre NFL WRs we need a playmaker WR we wont win a Super Bowl or even sniff one without superstar playmakers on offense.

Who are the superstar playmakers on the Seattle Seahawks offense? I'll hang up and listen.

While I like Tate and agree with the sentiment, do you really think Jones, who turns 30 in a few weeks has his best football ahead of him?

Rice and Harvin with a superstar NFL QB in Wilson not to mention a RB Lynch that is top 5 in the league

Oh you mean THE Sidney Rice. The receiver who only played in 8 games this year and not at all in the playoffs? The same one who has totaled 1700 yards in the last four years combined?  Yes, he's clearly the missing superstar link to right our ship. Christ, I miss JW78 already. 

Oh you mean THE Sidney Rice. The receiver who only played in 8 games this year and not at all in the playoffs? The same one who has totaled 1700 yards in the last four years combined?  Yes, he's clearly the missing superstar link to right our ship. Christ, I miss JW78 already.

Did you not see the name Russell Wilson and Mershawn Lynch? The Jets have neither.

Did you not see the name Russell Wilson and Mershawn Lynch? The Jets have neither.

I like Wilson a bunch, but he's not a super star, he's a good QB on an exceptional football team.  Your entire premise was based on acquiring offensive super stars and then you went and named Sidney Rice. Maybe you like him, to each their own.  I just prefer my super stars to play more than half the season and average more than 400 yards. But that's just me. It does however, shed more light into your infatuation with Braylon.

Archived