Alterraun Verner to replace Cromartie?

NYJetsVets91

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, Verner has nice hands. Some of those INT's were circus catches.

How about  that one at the end when he rips it away from Pettigrew!

Ball hawk deluxe.  But I am not nuts about spending close to $10 million on him. 

I mean, it's almost comically absurd. His posts: 

- Breaking News** The New York Jets and CB Alterraun Verner have a mutual agreement on a 5 year deal. 2 hours ago
- Hold the presses  Source; No deal. Not even close. Verner's agent is talking with multiple teams.  50 minutes ago
- Breaking. Verner deciding between Jets, Giants, Skins. Fingers crossed.  32 minutes ago

Someones trying too hard to feel important...

Ball hawk deluxe.  But I am not nuts about spending close to $10 million on him.

Looks as if the CB market continues to shrink.

I hope Idzik has worked out a deal for this guy, because the top guys are flying off the shelves!

Report: Colts, Vontae Davis closing in on a contract

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 9, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Vontae Davis, Cecil ShortsAP

Another top-end free agent appears poised to re-sign with his current club.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS, the Colts and cornerback Vontae Davis are “nearing a deal” that’s anticipated to be completed on Monday.

The 25-year-old Davis is the second-ranked cornerback and the No. 7 overall player on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100. He started all 16 games for the Colts in 2013, notching 46 tackles, defending 12 passes and recording one interception.

Were the 5-foot-11, 204-pound Davis to hit the market, his age, athleticism and size would work in his favor. However, the Colts, who surrendered a second-round pick to acquire Davis from Miami in 2012, are reportedly on the verge of keeping him in the fold.

Looks as if the CB market continues to shrink.

I hope Idzik has worked out a deal for this guy, because the top guys are flying off the shelves!

Report: Colts, Vontae Davis closing in on a contract

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 9, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Vontae Davis, Cecil ShortsAP

Another top-end free agent appears poised to re-sign with his current club.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS, the Colts and cornerback Vontae Davis are “nearing a deal” that’s anticipated to be completed on Monday.

The 25-year-old Davis is the second-ranked cornerback and the No. 7 overall player on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100. He started all 16 games for the Colts in 2013, notching 46 tackles, defending 12 passes and recording one interception.

Were the 5-foot-11, 204-pound Davis to hit the market, his age, athleticism and size would work in his favor. However, the Colts, who surrendered a second-round pick to acquire Davis from Miami in 2012, are reportedly on the verge of keeping him in the fold.

I sure hope Idzik is the reason Verner isn't making any visits and it's not that he is planning on signing with his current team.

By Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on March 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM, updated March 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM

The Jets, having released Antonio Cromartie on Sunday, are in the market for a No. 1 cornerback.

In this free agent market, they could do no better, it seems, than Tennessee’s Alterraun Verner, who expects to sign shortly after the free agency signing period officially begins at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

“It’ll be a quick process,” Verner said Monday during an interview with Mad Dog Radio on Sirius XM.

Verner, a 25-year-old who is considered this year’s best available free agent corner, said the Jets and Patriots are both potential destinations. In the end, he wants to play for a contender.

“I feel more compelled to go to a team that I think can win,” he said. “I haven’t had that experience for the past four years in Tennessee.”

The Titans drafted Verner in the fourth round in 2010. He was a Pro Bowler for the first time last season, when he had a career-high five interceptions. He has 11 career picks. The only multi-interception game of his career was last year against the Jets in Nashville.

To Verner’s point about Tennessee’s lack of success recently, the Titans went 6-10, 9-7, 6-10 and 7-9 in his first four seasons, and missed the playoffs each year.

He said he believes the Jets and the Giants “could both win.”

In terms of the Jets, Verner said, “(Darrelle) Revis and Cromartie both thrived in that system,” under coach Rex Ryan, who runs the Jets’ defense.

Verner seems to believe he could thrive anywhere.

“You’re not going to get a better all-around football player in the NFL,” he said.

Verner doesn’t necessarily want the most money he can get in free agency, but he wants to be one of his new team’s highest-paid players.

“I look at it as more of a respect value,” he explained. “I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million, and I wasn’t one of the highest-paid players on the team.”

Tell me if this is getting too ahead of myself:  

By signing Verner, and being linked to Whitner, with Milliner in fold....maybe we take a shot at Brandon Browner.

Ed Reed would even fit, in this scenario.

We could have the "sons of anarchy" and the "E.R." 

By signing Verner, and being linked to Whitner, with Milliner in fold....maybe we take a shot at Brandon Browner.

The CB we sign will start opposite Milliner. I think they are also looking to upgrade the Safety position as well T.J Wards name has been mentioned. I thought Antonio Allen played well and could be a better option than Landry.

The CB we sign will start opposite Milliner. I think they are also looking to upgrade the Safety position as well T.J Wards name has been mentioned. I thought Antonio Allen played well

and could be a better option than Landry.

Neither fit the criteria for this cool nickname.

This is dedication

I thought I was the only lunatic thinking this. I even tried to find a fit for our "is" linebackers. Coples and Barnes almost fit, if pronounced right.

By Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger

“I look at it as more of a respect value,” he explained. “I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million, and I wasn’t one of the highest-paid players on the team.”

This theory sounds a little nutty. 

49ers released CB Carlos Rogers.

The move creates $5.1 million in cap space, and $6.25 million in real savings. Rogers had started every game for the 49ers since Jim Harbaugh became head coach, but is going on 33, and better in the slot than outside. He'll likely have to settle for a one-year deal worth somewhere between $2-$3 million in free agency.

This theory sounds a little nutty. 

Works ok for a Jets team that after cutting Sanchez will have two guys making over $7M (Brick and Mangold) and David Harris at $7M even. Folk's the next highest paid guy on the roster right now per OverTheCap at a little over $3.5M. After the contract Shields got anywhere in that range he talks about in the interview would be a pretty good deal for whoever signs him. 

I saw some people read a little more into it and say because he wants to win (another part of that interview) he'd like to play for a winning team and part of that is good cap management. So if he's making $8-$9M and still not one of the highest paid guys on the roster the team's probably not very deep and managing the cap kind of like Tannenbaum.

This is dedication

I thought I was the only lunatic thinking this. I even tried to find a fit for our "is" linebackers. Coples and Barnes almost fit, if pronounced right.

Glad to know my genious is shared and recognized. 

“I look at it as more of a respect value,” he explained. “I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million, and I wasn’t one of the highest-paid players on the team."

If he came here he could get paid $8 or $9M  AND be one of the highest-paid players on the team. 

Archived