True Detective **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'll be having nightmares for the next year after that finale.

The gf was busy, so I had all of today by myself for once and decided to watch the entire season. The entire cast was brilliant, but McConaughey and Harrelson were on an entirely different level. The most intense movie/show/mini-series that I've watched in a long time.  I can see why they opted not to be on for a second season, the intensity it requires to take on those roles must be difficult to maintain.

Dude!  That walk to the room they had the final battle in was literally edge of the seat type sh*t.  So creepy. 

That was amazing TV. 

That scene and show as a whole, easily the most intense thing that I've watched in a long time. Edge of your seat for pretty much all 8 hours of it.  

The gf was busy, so I had all of today by myself for once and decided to watch the entire season. The entire cast was brilliant, but McConaughey and Harrelson were on an entirely different level. The most intense movie/show/mini-series that I've watched in a long time.  I can see why they opted not to be on for a second season, the intensity it requires to take on those roles must be difficult to maintain.

I thought it was a good show with great acting until episode four, then they did that single shot sequence in the projects for the last ten minutes and I finally realized how special it was. I've rewatched most of the episodes already, it only gets better the second time around.

I thought it was a good show with great acting until episode four, then they did that single shot sequence in the projects for the last ten minutes and I finally realized how special it was. I've rewatched most of the episodes already, it only gets better the second time around.

Yeah, when you watch it on HBO they give a little behind the scenes footage at the end and all the details they put in that I thought I noticed just scratched the surface. That scene you're referring to in episode four was simply stunning. I have appreciated Harrelson's work the last how many years, but I never, ever expected this from McConaughey. I always assumed that Lincoln Lawyer and A Time To Kill was the best we'd seen out of him. I mean christ, this is the same guy who made Fools Gold and Surfer Dude and then he blows up this year with Dallas Buyer's and this. 

Completely agree.  Riveting television.

What really sold the final episode was the fact that the producers made it known that it was an anthology and Marty & Rust would not be staring in season two.  As such, that chase through the labyrinth made our hearts race because we had no idea whether Marty or Rust would make it out alive.  There was genuine relief when they made it through.

Yeah, when you watch it on HBO they give a little behind the scenes footage at the end and all the details they put in that I thought I noticed just scratched the surface. That scene you're referring to in episode four was simply stunning. I have appreciated Harrelson's work the last how many years, but I never, ever expected this from McConaughey. I always assumed that Lincoln Lawyer and A Time To Kill was the best we'd seen out of him. I mean christ, this is the same guy who made Fools Gold and Surfer Dude and then he blows up this year with Dallas Buyer's and this. 

So true.  If there was a PED for acting, McConaughey would need to be tested for them because this year came out of nowhere.

I personally think he blew Dallas Buyers out of the water with his performance here. I'd put Rust Cohle right up with Tony Soprano, Omar, and Walter White. It's that iconic of a role.

I personally think he blew Dallas Buyers out of the water with his performance here. I'd put Rust Cohle right up with Tony Soprano, Omar, and Walter White. It's that iconic of a role.

I really have to agree, one of the best male protagonists that I've seen in my tv-viewing history. I also don't want it to completely overshadow Harrelson's Marty Hart, that was some of his better work too. I understand not coming back on for a second season, that level of intensity is hard to keep, but damn I wish they did. Going to be some seriously difficult shoes to fill.

So true.  If there was a PED for acting, McConaughey would need to be tested for them because this year came out of nowhere.

What are your feelings on the hate that the ending is getting?  Outside of the maze scene, which was amazing, there seems to be a ton of backlash onto how they ended it. The internet doesn't think Cohle has seen anything to prove that the light is winning and that it was too campy etc.  Is this your typical snarky, fan-boy backlash or did you guys dislike the ending as well?  

Personally, I thought the ending was as good as it could be with those two living.  It seems that the creator and director decided from the very beginning that the murders and entire story was basically a vehicle for McConaughey and Harrelson to explore two very messed up people that are completely different from when then started the show.  It just seems that the sub-redditers focused more on the story itself and less on the reason that the story was created in the first place.  

Good question, Broadway.

I liked the ending, first because both Marty and Rust survived. Second, I think people misunderstood the ending.

Remember when we first see Rust in 1995? He finds the murdered girl on his dead daughter's birthday and thoughts of her consume him. The daughter arc is revisited in the end with Rust ' near death experience.

Finally, Rust is a bit of nihilistic philosopher, but with thoughts of his daughter he wasn't completely a nihilist. She was his light and to a certain extent so was his father. Rust's final line wasn't about him being hopeful as much as it was him recognizing the possibility of hope as a sort of rejection of absolute nihilism.

Good question, Broadway.

I liked the ending, first because both Marty and Rust survived. Second, I think people misunderstood the ending.

Remember when we first see Rust in 1995? He finds the murdered girl on his dead daughter's birthday and thoughts of her consume him. The daughter arc is revisited in the end with Rust ' near death experience.

Finally, Rust is a bit of nihilistic philosopher, but with thoughts of his daughter he wasn't completely a nihilist. She was his light and to a certain extent so was his father. Rust's final line wasn't about him being hopeful as much as it was him recognizing the possibility of hope as a sort of rejection of absolute nihilism.

Valid points. I enjoyed the ending mostly because it was a straight-forward, giant slap to the face of all the sub-reddit-esque fans who were anticipating all the wild scenarios like it was Marty or Marty's father who was the killer. I guess I had the added benefit of seeing a lot of the interviews with Pilazzo who stated he was sick and tired of tv shows who lead you one way, telling you it won't be one thing and then it turns out to go 180 degrees and be that exact thing they were saying it wouldn't be (i'm looking at you Lost). So from the middle of the season, lots of people surmised it was going to be Errhol and in fact it was, no tricks.  For the longest time I assumed that Cohle was going to kill himself at the end, but I do rather prefer him moving on from total nihilism.  

I also like how they didn't answer a lot of the questions: the yellow king, besides showing Errhol painting the school yellow, or explain more about carcosa, more about the beer-can people Cohle was making etc.  I just took it as an opportunity for HBO to have a vehicle that allowed two of the best actors working right now, enough time and leeway to really dive into a character the way a movie doesn't allow you to do. I think if you go at it from that vantage, it's not only a treat, but an enjoyable story as well.

That single shot scene is what got me convinced to watch the show, that and the friends who was pushing it telling me I'm Cohle for 3 weeks. I'm not somebody who's huge into media but I find things like that impressive.

That single shot scene is what got me convinced to watch the show, that and the friends who was pushing it telling me I'm Cohle for 3 weeks. I'm not somebody who's huge into media but I find things like that impressive. I still think Tony Jaa single shot scene is the best.

Good points, Broadway.

I never believed it would be Rust. They mentioned early on about the Detective's Curse (overlooking key evidence right in your face), so I figured it had to be someone early on that we overlooked.

So when we saw Errhol in the beginning of the final episode I immediately told my wife (we don't watch TV together except for select shows like this, BE & GOT) that that was the lawnmower man Rust saw when he went to the abandoned school. You couldn't tell by his face but you could tell by his size.

What are your feelings on the hate that the ending is getting?  Outside of the maze scene, which was amazing, there seems to be a ton of backlash onto how they ended it. The internet doesn't think Cohle has seen anything to prove that the light is winning and that it was too campy etc.  Is this your typical snarky, fan-boy backlash or did you guys dislike the ending as well?  

Personally, I thought the ending was as good as it could be with those two living.  It seems that the creator and director decided from the very beginning that the murders and entire story was basically a vehicle for McConaughey and Harrelson to explore two very messed up people that are completely different from when then started the show.  It just seems that the sub-redditers focused more on the story itself and less on the reason that the story was created in the first place.  

I didn't know that the ending was getting any negative feedback. I thought it was was one of the best finales ever, would probably rank it second behind the finale of Season 4 for Breaking Bad, but we'll see how it holds up over time. People bitch too much.

I didn't know that the ending was getting any negative feedback. I thought it was was one of the best finales ever, would probably rank it second behind the finale of Season 4 for Breaking Bad, but we'll see how it holds up over time. People bitch too much.

I didn't either until some of my friends stating pissing and moaning about it, which I know means they saw it on reddit. People don't have their own opinion until someone on reddit tells them what to think, especially if it goes against the norm. I really enjoyed the ending and it was a surprise to me because I was 110% convinced that Cohle was going to kill himself up until the last 5 minutes of the show. 

Some damned good gifs. For only 8 hours of film, it left a lot of great one-liners and memorable lines.

"L'chaim fat ass"

"The hubris it must take to yank a soul out of non existence..."

http://youtu.be/2YsXzikIKMQ

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill."

tumblr_n25cduMIFM1rzocc2o1_500.gif

"It's Thursday and it's past noon. Thursday is one of my days off. On my days off I start drinking at noon. You don't get to interrupt that."

True-Detective-McConaughey.jpg

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of s***. And I’d like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What’s that say about your reality?"

true-detective-what-to-expect-from-the-l

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty excited about the presence of Vince Vaughn.  This should be great.

Nice to see that he decided to start acting again. People forget that once upon a time, before he decided to make his career one long attempt to resurrect Double Down Trent, he did Return to Paradise and Clay Pigeons.

I'm not. Not excited for this season at all because of the casting. Though I do like Collin Farrell in Martin McDonagh's In Brudge and Seven Psychopaths.

While there is no one to fill Alexandra Daddario's cups, it is a pretty good ensemble.

While there is no one to fill Alexandra Daddario's cups, it is a pretty good ensemble.

This.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what these actors bring to the show. Each of them, when not cast in some of the marketable cheese they've done, is very capable. Same could be said for Woody and Matthew.

Archived