True Detective **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

RutgersJetFan

I episode 1 so far was pretty darn good, and I honestly can't stand Farrell and Vaughn, but they seem like they got their parts down solid.  The only thing I felt was a little cheesy was the dude's face flapping in the wind on the motorcycle.  I get you're trying to convey he's going fast, but that just felt a little contrived.  A very small nitpick though, outside of that the show was great!

Agreed about the motorcycle scene, felt very cheesy. Also, I've never even ridden a motorcycle, but don't need to to know you don't go from 100+ mph to stopping in a window of 1-2 seconds on dirt and all you experience is a little wobble on the bike. Come on. 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Farrell is great as the drunken but well intentioned dad. Vaughn did a great job. I actually think McAdams is compelling playing against type.

I think my favorite part of the episode was when he slipped was pummeling the dad, and telling the kid, "he's doing this for you". That scene was less about the violence and more about giving us insight into a broken man's logic, I think.

Agreed about the motorcycle scene, felt very cheesy. Also, I've never even ridden a motorcycle, but don't need to to know you don't go from 100+ mph to stopping in a window of 1-2 seconds on dirt and all you experience is a little wobble on the bike. Come on. 

Yeah that was downright awful.  He turned the lights back on to a giant rock wall what, 100 feet in front of him and does a little wobble to a complete stop from 100mph?  That may rival this for worst editing on a vehicle award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBlFCH0d3o4

Yeah that was downright awful.  He turned the lights back on to a giant rock wall what, 100 feet in front of him and does a little wobble to a complete stop from 100mph?  That may rival this for worst editing on a vehicle award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBlFCH0d3o4

lol, holy sh*t that was funny

Fantastic first episode. Farrell was incredible.The scene where he's sitting opposite of Vince, shooting down Johnny Blue, and says maybe three words in the entire 5 minute scene, was awesome. His harassment of his son was brutal to watch (amazing acting), and the scene where he splits the bully's dad's face open and puts the fear of god in the bully was "hold your breath" great.

Rachel McAdams is so damn hot that even in this dirt role, all I wanted to do was touch. Plus, this whole broken father/daughter relationship has the potential to actually become intriguing. 

Vince was hard at first to take seriously because of his other roles, but he did his job, and did it well. His background is going to be the basis for this season, I think.

I didn't enjoy any of Taylor's scenes, but dey is what dey is. They're plot drivers, and his girl is bangin, so meh.

Two things: (1) How does a motorcycle take over a minute and a mile to go from 0-100, and less than 5 seconds and 200 ft to go from 100-0, and not kill the driver? (2) It's hard enough to believe that Ray Velcoro shot down over a fifth of the Johnny Blue and was able to wake up from his phone buzzing, but then he was coherent enough to drive down, be the Vinci cop, and not have anyone suspect that he was out of his mind drunk- all in a span of 2 hours (story-time)? C'MON MAN!

Regardless of the above though, I loved the first episode as a whole. It was visually gorgeous with all the aerial shots, great audio which captured the context, mood, and grit of what we were seeing on screen, and above average to great acting by the major characters. 

Also, I make it a point to turn off/not watch trailers, and I can't remember the last time I read a review or watched any post-show analysis for dramas that I love. 

Everything is fresh to me, and I came into this not know anything...I didn't even know what the characters looked like. And I loved it. Don't really care for critics or reviews, but if people are saying that this was a let down, then I'm not missing much from them anyways. 

Fantastic first episode. Farrell was incredible.The scene where he's sitting opposite of Vince, shooting down Johnny Blue, and says maybe three words in the entire 5 minute scene, was awesome. His harassment of his son was brutal to watch (amazing acting), and the scene where he splits the bully's dad's face open and puts the fear of god in the bully was "hold your breath" great.

Rachel McAdams is so damn hot that even in this dirt role, all I wanted to do was touch. Plus, this whole broken father/daughter relationship has the potential to actually become intriguing. 

Vince was hard at first to take seriously because of his other roles, but he did his job, and did it well. His background is going to be the basis for this season, I think.

I didn't enjoy any of Taylor's scenes, but dey is what dey is. They're plot drivers, and his girl is bangin, so meh.

Two things: (1) How does a motorcycle take over a minute and a mile to go from 0-100, and less than 5 seconds and 200 ft to go from 100-0, and not kill the driver? (2) It's hard enough to believe that Ray Velcoro shot down over a fifth of the Johnny Blue and was able to wake up from his phone buzzing, but then he was coherent enough to drive down, be the Vinci cop, and not have anyone suspect that he was out of his mind drunk- all in a span of 2 hours (story-time)? C'MON MAN!

Regardless of the above though, I loved the first episode as a whole. It was visually gorgeous with all the aerial shots, great audio which captured the context, mood, and grit of what we were seeing on screen, and above average to great acting by the major characters. 

Only if the father turns out to be Donald Draper.

Speaking of Rachel McAdams, were things uncomfortable with her bang buddy in the beginning because she tried to get him to do up the butt stuff to her?  He said something to the effect "I've never been asked to do that with anyone before"....  That plays a big part in her character if so, given her disgust for her father and sister.

The motorcycle thing was awful.  See my video link above for editing comparison.

As for the alcohol scene, I can buy that.  Having been around raging alcoholics many of them function at an astoundingly high level while blitzed.  Don't forget Rachel McAdams character was also blitzed as well.  I think they kind of knew that about each other right away when they looked at each other for so long.  I laughed and said to my wife "so out of the 3 cops investigating right now, 2 are sh*tface drunk and one just tried to kill himself" hahaha

Only if the father turns out to be Donald Draper.

Ha! That'd be some sort of awesome. My two favorite dramas weaving in and out of each other like that...the universe would basically self-combust and we'd be left with Bert Cooper holding Rust Chole as Rust dreams up the Coke ad. 

Speaking of Rachel McAdams, were things uncomfortable with her bang buddy in the beginning because she tried to get him to do up the butt stuff to her?  He said something to the effect "I've never been asked to do that with anyone before"....  That plays a big part in her character if so, given her disgust for her father and sister.

The motorcycle thing was awful.  See my video link above for editing comparison.

As for the alcohol scene, I can buy that.  Having been around raging alcoholics many of them function at an astoundingly high level while blitzed.  Don't forget Rachel McAdams character was also blitzed as well.  I think they kind of knew that about each other right away when they looked at each other for so long.  I laughed and said to my wife "so out of the 3 cops investigating right now, 2 are sh*tface drunk and one just tried to kill himself" hahaha

Agreed with the Rachel stuff. Great pickup. Also, that butt is so hot. 

HAAhahaha with the link. I think I may have actually seen the movie with the horse slide. Or something similar to it.

The drinking stuff- I mean, I get that alcoholics can be functional and all, and I understand creative licenses to further a plot...I don't actually have a problem with any of it- it was just something I thought of while watching the episode last night. It seemed like a whole lot of drinking for him to be so coherent- especially since we saw earlier on that he had been drinking and was visibly drunk when he harassed his kid, and the step-father picked up on it.

I did forget that Rachel's character was also drinking, so again, good pickup. Nice line to your wife, haha

Ha! That'd be some sort of awesome. My two favorite dramas weaving in and out of each other like that...the universe would basically self-combust and we'd be left with Bert Cooper holding Rust Chole as Rust dreams up the Coke ad. 

I couldn't of been the only person who immediately thought of Mad Men when McAdams and her partner got to that hippie commune overlooking the ocean.

Having been around raging alcoholics many of them function at an astoundingly high level while blitzed. 

Also, I've known 1-2 people in my past that would drink a sh*t ton, then do some blow to "off-set it" according to them. I don't know if there's anything to that at all.

Also, I've known 1-2 people in my past that would drink a sh*t ton, then do some blow to "off-set it" according to them. I don't know if there's anything to that at all.

It's funny, I just read an article on Eddie Van Halen saying he used to do just that.  He would sit in a room by himself, drink a ton, but do blow to keep himself functional and just keep recording riffs and melodies. 

Could have something to do with it. Velcoro was mimicking the snorting action one does while doing blow when Vaughn's character got up to leave at the end of that bar scene. Could very well have done blow right before driving over to the crime scene.

I think my favorite part of the episode was when he slipped was pummeling the dad, and telling the kid, "he's doing this for you". That scene was less about the violence and more about giving us insight into a broken man's logic, I think.

Yeah that was great.

I think it is something much crazier than her getting it in the butt, No guy is going to be that awkward and spooked and hesitant about a girl wanting that. I'd say more likely she wanted to put something in his. I figure this is something that will come to light as the season goes on, she has some kind of perversion or something twisted.

logic is sound

I think it is something much crazier than her getting it in the butt, No guy is going to be that awkward and spooked and hesitant about a girl wanting that. I'd say more likely she wanted to put something in his. I figure this is something that will come to light as the season goes on, she has some kind of perversion or something twisted.

I think she likes to get slapped and choked while she's c-ming

I need to re watch the scene, but didn't the guy say he "wasn't expecting it"? I'm leaning towards the choking, but who knows... Maybe she asked him for a Cleveland steamer

This is what my initial thought was.  Joebaby's is a close second though.

I liked the first episode. 

Seeing it is not a serial and has a limited number of episodes, it kind of has to jump in ass first as it needs to lay the groundwork quickly.  It cannot be Lost and devote one episode to a character to see why they are effed in the head.  It has to go toe deep and a mile wide.

Anyways, I agree with the motorcycle scence, cheeesetastic, and thought Klitsch's performance was meh, but the other three were very good.  

Solid first episode.  I'm intrigued by the plot more than I am the acting.  I think they could have put anyone in Farrel's role and they'd look great because its a badass role, same with the McAdams.  I cant say that either of them were doing anything special.  It wasnt like that holy sh*t jaw dropping like you were watching with McConaughey in those interviews last season.

I'm definitely intrigued but was far from blown away.

Liked Farrell more than McConaughey

Not sure how if you're referring strictly to their acting....I mean, to each their own.  There certainly was much more going on with his character, making him a badass wild card right off the bat, which I could get gravitating to his character more...but McConaughey's acting in those interview scenes IMO is some of the best HBO has ever put on the screen, if not the best. 

Not sure how if you're referring strictly to their acting....I mean, to each their own.  There certainly was much more going on with his character, making him a badass wild card right off the bat, which I could get gravitating to his character more...but McConaughey's acting in those interview scenes IMO is some of the best HBO has ever put on the screen, if not the best. 

566489083_ddbc10d5e5_b.jpg

Yeah, I thought about that...but no.  Those roles were all tailor made for those actors, none of that was outside of their acting experience.  This was McConaughey like we've never seen.

Haha.  From what I understand, Paulie Walnuts used to sit like that outside the OTB on Bay Parkway before he got on that show.  Gandolfini was legit though.

I think Farrel is a better actor, feel like McConaughey over did it.

I just finished re watching Sopranos, Paulie still my favorite guy. Outside of a few, Tony Sirico included, the acting on that show really isn't great. Edie Falco was clearly most talented person on the show. It's too bad Jamie-Lynn Sigler didn't have the chops. Meadow could of taken a larger role "in the family". I think Chase hinted at that possibility when Tony, Paulie, and Chrissy went to Italy and they introduced the female boss. Maybe when it became clear Sigler wasn't up to the task they scrapped it.

The funny thing is, if you remember the first season correctly, it's nothing more than an intriguing show for the first two or three episodes. You're trying to figure out exactly what's happening, who Rust is, what happened between them...etc. There's no explanation for why Rust and Marty aren't talking anymore, or really what the hell it is they're investigating. It's a big mashup of scattered, sociopolitical allegories and incidents. The show just goes. You weren't even really locked in to the performance that McConaughey is pulling off until a couple episodes in because you're so taken aback by the character. It isn't until the fourth episode, where the pace picks up and you get that amazing single-shot through the housing projects that you sit back and say holy sh*t this show is amazing. So I think anyone who set the expectation of wanting answers in episode 1, as well as immediate gratification from the actors in measuring up to the first season was probably watching the wrong show. That's certainly not what True Detective is and the first season was never anything of the sort. S2/E1 didn't get the plot going until the last 30 seconds of the episode, and I'm not really sure why anyone would complain about that in comparison to S1. The first season did the same thing. Truth be told, you probably won't have much of an idea of what's really happening until 4-5 episodes in. And it won't be a surprise twist, it will just unfold. If that's not cool with you, here's a suggestion: watch another show.

The funny thing is, if you remember the first season correctly, it's nothing more than an intriguing show for the first two or three episodes. You're trying to figure out exactly what's happening, who Rust is, what happened between them...etc. There's no explanation for why Rust and Marty aren't talking anymore, or really what the hell it is they're investigating. It's a big mashup of scattered, sociopolitical allegories and incidents. The show just goes. You weren't even really locked in to the performance that McConaughey is pulling off until a couple episodes in because you're so taken aback by the character. It isn't until the fourth episode, where the pace picks up and you get that amazing single-shot through the housing projects that you sit back and say holy sh*t this show is amazing. So I think anyone who set the expectation of wanting answers in episode 1, as well as immediate gratification from the actors in measuring up to the first season was probably watching the wrong show. That's certainly not what True Detective is and the first season was never anything of the sort. S2/E1 didn't get the plot going until the last 30 seconds of the episode, and I'm not really sure why anyone would complain about that in comparison to S1. The first season did the same thing. Truth be told, you probably won't have much of an idea of what's really happening until 4-5 episodes in. And it won't be a surprise twist, it will just unfold. If that's not cool with you, here's a suggestion: watch another show.

That's poor storytelling if you ask me and that was my problem with season one and why I wouldn't put this show up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad, ect. I'll still watch for the performances, Pizzolatto does allow his actors to act. I'll also keep watching for the beautiful shots, which were the highlight of Sundays episode.

Archived