True Detective **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said all I need about this show, it's an incoherent mess, yadda yadda yadda. I won't continue to repeat all the reasons why I think show is flawed, tonight's episode didn't change that view. With that said, the raid/shootout was pretty dope.

And from someone that has generally enjoyed the season so far, thought it was lame. 

McAdams feigning interest in all the civilians and cops getting killed during the raid struck me as "this is going to hurt my career" type moment.  Which she clearly doe snot give a $hit about.

I think what Farrelll said in episode 2 about why are they investigating this holds true even more now.  I just think it is a matter of them being the fall guys in whatever it is.

And from someone that has generally enjoyed the season so far, thought it was lame. 

McAdams feigning interest in all the civilians and cops getting killed during the raid struck me as "this is going to hurt my career" type moment.  Which she clearly doe snot give a $hit about.

I think what Farrelll said in episode 2 about why are they investigating this holds true even more now.  I just think it is a matter of them being the fall guys in whatever it is.

I thought the raid was terribly done.  There was one point where a civilian walked behind a bad guy and got shot by a cop.  I mean the level of thoughtlessness on that scene was mind blowing.  You could have easily made a believable scene where a cop accidentally shoots a civilian in all that chaos, but no.  Instead let's have bad guy with a machine gun hiding behind a car in a gun fight with bullets flying and cue unsuspecting civilian stolling down the sidewalk into the scen, right behind the obvious bad guy with a friggin AK47 being shot at.  I mean come on now.  The gun fight was going on for a while, it's not like that civilian could have been completely unaware of the situation going on, it had been going on for 2 minutes at least by that point.  I mean if you really wanted to make the point of civilian shot by cop you couldn't possibly have one of the bodies laying in the street be injured and disoriented, trying to get up only to have gotten up right in the line of fire?  At least that would have been believeable.  That whole scen though was horribly overplayed, forced, and just plain bad. 

I've held off on talking about TD since episode 2 because last week was disappointing and I wanted see how it would bounce back. Here we are now at the end of the midpoint of the season, and it's clear that episode 2 of this season belongs as a standalone. It was so good that it served to remind me of the brilliance of season 1, and hope that even with a new director, the story telling and character dialogues would keep on par.

Clearly, I was mistaken. The fake death of Velcoro was so off-putting that I'm still not fully recovered. I don't think I will recover from that. Every time I see Ray (who is still the best acted character in the show), it reminds me of how far the writer has fallen from season 1 - resorting to that insanely cheap trick as if this were some CBS sitcom or CW11 melodramatic teen soapie sh*t. The dialogue is also such contrived, over the top nonsense that I almost prefer listening to the zombie lady sing in the bar of the undead dead.

Still, I'm going to continue watching, because I'm still enjoying it here and there (Rachel is still too hot to not watch, and the shootout scene was fun- even if it was about 10 levels below TD Season 1 standards), and I do want to see where this story eventually ends up. However, I'm done looking at this show as HBO's True Detective. It's just another cop show from here on out of this season. 

I thought the raid was terribly done.  There was one point where a civilian walked behind a bad guy and got shot by a cop.  I mean the level of thoughtlessness on that scene was mind blowing.  You could have easily made a believable scene where a cop accidentally shoots a civilian in all that chaos, but no.  Instead let's have bad guy with a machine gun hiding behind a car in a gun fight with bullets flying and cue unsuspecting civilian stolling down the sidewalk into the scen, right behind the obvious bad guy with a friggin AK47 being shot at.  I mean come on now.  The gun fight was going on for a while, it's not like that civilian could have been completely unaware of the situation going on, it had been going on for 2 minutes at least by that point.  I mean if you really wanted to make the point of civilian shot by cop you couldn't possibly have one of the bodies laying in the street be injured and disoriented, trying to get up only to have gotten up right in the line of fire?  At least that would have been believeable.  That whole scen though was horribly overplayed, forced, and just plain bad. 

That was the most comical thing I may have ever seen a serious drama ever.  The look on the guys face too.  Just casually walking along, directly behind a guy in a shootout and then pop!!!!  I think I literally threw my hands up like, you've got to ******* kidding me. 

This show is terrible.  And I'm watching next week.  haha

That was the most comical thing I may have ever seen a serious drama ever.  The look on the guys face too.  Just casually walking along, directly behind a guy in a shootout and then pop!!!!  I think I literally threw my hands up like, you've got to ******* kidding me. 

I swear to god I thought for a brief second it was Horatio Sanz from SNL and we were all being punked lol!  I literally laughed out loud. 

Same here.

That scene is in the  running for the single worst scene in TV history.

I like Farrell, McAdams and the music.  The opening song and Lera Lynn's my least favorite life are very good.

Just binge-watched the first four eps, and it's basically a B+ Michael Mann movie stretched to eight hours, which is perfectly fine. Either all of you are extraordinarily sensitive aesthetes or you desperately need to temper your expectations.

Just binged the season ... What an abomination ... Worst part is def Vince Vaughn ... Casting director should be demoted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The contrarian argument would be that the casting director is brilliant.... perhaps it in a moment of "holy sh*t, the script for the second season is garbage/incomplete" the casting director suggested that they cast all of the roles with 'what were they thinking' actors, then viewers would be compelled to watch just to indulge the curiosity of finding out if the show creators knew something that nobody else did with the casting choices... the ratings will stack up... and by the time people realize it sucks, they'll be working on season 3.

I thought it was by far the best episode of the season,  not even close, …anyone think Mcadams partner is involved with the killing?

I agree and that they wasted four episodes setting the season is a complete waste.  Every show has throw away episodes, but when you are only working with 8 episodes, get to the point.

I almost feel like washing my mouth out with soap for saying this, but Colin Farrell is completely carring this abomination.  Lat night's episode was by far the best, but that's not saying much. 

I agree Farrell is killing it, but think McAdams is doing a good job. 

As TD mentioned above, the dialogue is horrible.  We all tend to agree the story is bad as well with little direction.

I believe her as a cop more than Vaughan as a thug and Klitsch as a in the closet cop.

Did anyone catch that McAdams had a REAL cigarette this episode? Two men question her love of e-cigarettes, and she's back to the real stuff? Dun dun dun???!?!!?

Anyway, I didn't finish reading Grantland's recap of the episode because this line:

<blockquote>Now, the last thing anyone needs is a Nic Pizzolatto character with an ocean to stare at.</blockquote>

within the context of the article is hilarious and I'm still chortling.

---

They basically called a mulligan and started over again, didn't they?

Did anyone catch that McAdams had a REAL cigarette this episode? Two men question her love of e-cigarettes, and she's back to the real stuff? Dun dun dun???!?!!?

Anyway, I didn't finish reading Grantland's recap of the episode because this line:

---

That's starting to sound like his MO. Write a great couple episodez, hit a wall, and restart mid season

this was the best episode ... but that not saying a lot when the others suck so bad ... Farrell is easily the best part of the show , he is killing it .... VV did a good job this week too ... writing isn't terrible .... just seems rushed with a couple brutal lines as mentioned earlier.

I agree Farrell is killing it, but think McAdams is doing a good job. 

As TD mentioned above, the dialogue is horrible.  We all tend to agree the story is bad as well with little direction.

I believe her as a cop more than Vaughan as a thug and Klitsch as a in the closet cop.

I'm kind of enjoying watching Vaughn try to pull off the racist lines. Not that they don't make sense given his character, it's just that you can tell he's not comfortable saying them.

I almost feel like washing my mouth out with soap for saying this, but Colin Farrell is completely carring this abomination.  Lat night's episode was by far the best, but that's not saying much. 

As an actor I think Farrell's a LOT more like Mcconaughey than people give him credit for. He's taken a ton of jobs just for the check, but it's not even up for debate that the guy's got the chops when he decides to flex them. In Bruges, Minority Report, Intermission...etc. Hopefully this show gets him back on track. I think he's great when given the opportunity.

I'll tell you who they should have cast as Frank; Michael Madsen. He'd have all you ******* whiners eating out of the palm of his hand. Imagine Madsen saying "sometimes your worst self is your best self." Go on. IMAGINE IT! If that didn't make it move then you can just go to Hell.

<blockquote>Now, the last thing anyone needs is a Nic Pizzolatto character with an ocean to stare at.</blockquote>

---

That is what the article is suggesting.

Basically, character development and the pulls of evil on people is possible, but Pizzolato did not do it.

I watch a lot of shows, the dialogue in TD is f'n brutal.

"It's like blue balls for your heart."

Specifically, the dialogue and delivery between Vaughn and his wife. Awful.

On another subject, I turned to my wife in the 1st episode and immediately said that Vaughn was using Farrell's distressed state to take someone out, that isn't the guy that raped his wife. That sh*t was about as predictable as it gets.

As an actor I think Farrell's a LOT more like Mcconaughey than people give him credit for. He's taken a ton of jobs just for the check, but it's not even up for debate that the guy's got the chops when he decides to flex them. In Bruges, Minority Report, Intermission...etc. Hopefully this show gets him back on track. I think he's great when given the opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j4cmpOJhbo

Archived