Jets all over Vick

F.Chowds

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, got a new computer and couldn't remember my password so I have been lurking for the past couple of months.  This topic I must chime in on.

First, I am a dog lover.  My family has only owned dogs, no cats, and I think what Vick did is absolutely disgusting and illegal.  That being said, there are many cultures that support this type of "sport" sort of like cockfighting *tomshane drools*.  Do you feel for greyhounds that race or the animals that perform at circuses?  How about the animals that were tested on to make sure that deodorant you are wearing wont peel the skin off you pits like it did to that animal?  Personally, I am surprised that so many of you can root for bullies, wife beaters, dead beat dads and straight up murderers but not someone involved in animal abuse. 

Like Max said, the dood has paid a HUGE price for his choice.  10s of millions of dollars in salary and endorsements.  I for one am for second chances.  He has paid his debt and from everything I have heard he has been a consummate professional since his return.  All of us are less than perfect, lets not throw stones.  If he can help the team, I will absolutely support and root for him. 

GO JETS!!!!

I always get a kick out of the "dogs aren't people" people. Thanks, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize that before you said it.

Vick only showed remorse when he was told he had to.

It is laughable, but people have no problem enabling and making excuses for a sociopath, because "SPORTS".

What he did was heinous, but the dude went to jail and paid for his crimes. Then he went to rehab for them. Now he has a pet dog for the family and does PSAs renouncing animal violence. When does he earn forgiveness? What does he have to do to become whole? I'm not saying you simply forget what he did, but it was out of ignorance and tradition, but it appears (at least) that he's learned from his mistakes, is sorry, and is moving forward - why keep holding him back?

It is laughable, but people have no problem enabling and making excuses for a sociopath, because "SPORTS".

see here is the thing about morals, they are individual. there are a lot of words for people that demonize people who don't agree with their moral code--none are flattering. no one is saying vick is a good guy, maybe that would be cause for mocking and derision. but to position yourself as having moral superiority over people who agree vick is bad but won't abandon the jets for signing him, seems a little holier than thou.

This. It's perfectly acceptable to not want him on this team because he sucks AND his past.

I don't wish bad upon him. I hope all the stuff he has done has been a genuine change and not just a show for the media and activists. I don't think I believe it's genuine, but I hope so and I'd be willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt. That said, I don't have to forget...and I don't.

Can I just make a point that you seem rather brilliantly poised to be the future leader of the Anti Vick Militia?

Ehh, I hate the guy as much as the next, but I'm not going to pretend the other 52 guys on the roster are all choir boys.  It's a league that has murders, drug dealers and woman beaters in it, if the league says he can play then whatever.  I'd rather not have him just because I don't think he's any good.

What he did was heinous, but the dude went to jail and paid for his crimes. Then he went to rehab for them. Now he has a pet dog for the family and does PSAs renouncing animal violence. When does he earn forgiveness? What does he have to do to become whole? I'm not saying you simply forget what he did, but it was out of ignorance and tradition, but it appears (at least) that he's learned from his mistakes, is sorry, and is moving forward - why keep holding him back?

sorry but with that avatar it's pretty obvious that your opinion on this subject can't be trusted

No one's forcing you to watch.

What about what I've been saying gave you the impression that I'm not aware of this? I voiced my displeasure about the impending embarrassment of signing Vick. I didn't judge anyone else, or tell anyone else what to do. Insecure people project their own rationalization onto others... I'm quite content with my point of view on this. I will be happy to watch my Jets and root for them to fail with Vick, as I've rooted for them to fail with the other morons who have proven to be embarrassments in the past.

Vick served the arbitrary amount of time that society said he had to and was granted the right to earn a living again, that's fine. He also served that time because he ran an organized crime ring that depended upon the torturing and maiming of helpless animals to generate capital. It doesn't really make anyone a douche because they're not excited about having to cheer for that.

I've been a fan of this franchise for something like 25 years. My want to see the Jets win is far greater than any self-serving sense of morality I think I need to take. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it and it sure as sh*t diminishes my already rock bottom opinion of Woody Johnson as a person, and it's really ******* disappointing regarding Idzik as well. The fact that we're even pursuing him is enough.

Stop that! Caesar loves dogs ... he thinks they taste like chicken.

i heard first pet sized vick jets jersey has been ordered

121912jetsvicks.jpeg

"sorry coach, had to wear this old eagles hat because my dog ate my jets one."

People are talking about the dog thing like it is relevant. That's not the reason to be against this. The only reason Vick is still relevant is ESPN. He is over the hill sh*tty player with name recognition. His best was a run first qb with terrible accuracy and field vision. This is the type of media circus bullsh*t we need ti avoid.

see here is the thing about morals, they are individual. there are a lot of words for people that demonize people who don't agree with their moral code--none are flattering. no one is saying vick is a good guy, maybe that would be cause for mocking and derision. but to position yourself as having moral superiority over people who agree vick is bad but won't abandon the jets for signing him, seems a little holier than thou.

Except for the fact that I never did that.

I voiced my own displeasure. I never told others how to think or react or what to do. I said what I would do, and all I've really done is clarify what I said, as people are throwing generalized arguments at me and putting words in my mouth.

I plan to root for the Jets to fail with Vick, if he signs. I never said I was abandoning them, other people said that.

I'm not here to debate it. My mind won't be changed, and I'm not in the business or interest of changing other people's minds.

Vick served the arbitrary amount of time that society said he had to and was granted the right to earn a living again, that's fine. He also served that time because he ran an organized crime ring that depended upon the torturing and maiming of helpless animals to generate capital. It doesn't really make anyone a douche because they're not excited about having to cheer for that.

I've been a fan of this franchise for something like 25 years. My want to see the Jets win is far greater than any self-serving sense of morality I think I need to take. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it and it sure as sh*t diminishes my already rock bottom opinion of Woody Johnson as a person, and it's really ******* disappointing regarding Idzik as well. The fact that we're even pursuing him is enough.

Exactly.

Only thing I look at differently is that I can wait another year for a SB, if it guarantees Vick doesn't supplant Namath as the hero of this franchise.

Vick is a crappy QB who also happens to be a scumbag. I can't say I'll be done with the Jets if they sign him, but I can say I'll be the biggest Geno Smith fan on the planet if it happens. It'll be much more palatable if it's just quick shots of him on the sidelines rather than having to watch him play. I will root for him to get hurt in the preseason, because I'm not exactly a perfect human being, either.

Archived