Decker meeting with the Jets

Joe Jets fan

Tuesday was a relatively quiet day for the Jets and a totally silent one for wide receiver Eric Decker, but things could heat up on both fronts on Wednesday.

Kim Jones of NFL Network reports that Decker will visit with the Jets on Wednesday and an aggressive offer from the Jets, who have plenty of money under the cap, could mean that it is the only visit that Decker makes. The Jets had a rotten receiving corps last season and Santonio Holmes has been jettisoned, leaving them in fairly desperate need of help at the position.

The big question that they’ll have to answer is whether Decker will be as effective catching passes from Geno Smith or someone else the Jets bring in as he was catching passes from Peyton Manning with a ton of offensive talent around him. As the top wideout on the market — and highest remaining available player on PFT’s Hot 100 at No. 8 — Decker’s going to be paid like he can be that productive whether it is from the Jets or someone else.

It’s a question that other receivers in Decker’s position have often failed to answer positively, but the Jets need help at the position badly enough to roll the dice that things break the other way.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the wife convinces him to take what he's actually worth, so she can be the next Kardashian. LaLa's career blew up after she brought Melo here

She's actually already somewhat of a country music star I think. Which, at least, hey, she's some shred of talent... and not just some fat ass, rich, hairy armenian chick who ****ed her way to the top. 

She's actually already somewhat of a country music star I think. Which, at least, hey, she's some shred of talent... and not just some fat ass, rich, hairy armenian chick who ****ed her way to the top.

I just want to get my ladies love ED shirt for Sundays. I'd be both rooting for the Jets and accurately representing my capabilities after they lose and I drink myself into a stupor.

Ok then. Overrated at $10 per, I like at number 2 money at $6 per. Would be thrilled at a. 5 year 30-35m deal.

Jets will probably have to be in the 5 year 35 mil range or slightly better maybe 40mil to keep Decker at the facility and not visit other teams. Im sure guaranteed money will play the biggest part

no news on sanders? id like to snag them both @ $6 million a yr or so. but of course we need a right tackle now.

If we could get both Decker and Sanders to go with Kerley and Nelson.... if we could then add a 1st or 2nd round draft pick at WR... wow, we would finally have a nice group of receivers.

Decker combine profile from 2010:

40 time: 4.56

6'3, 217

Decker is a big receiver with small receiver skills. He is quicker than he is fast and while he has enough speed he is not the type that will take many all the way to the house at the next level. He runs crisp routes and will show a good short burst to separate from defenders but will struggle to maintain that separation. He is a natural receiver that has soft, sure hands and a wide receiving radius that allows him to extend to catch slightly off target throws. He missed the final four games of the regular season due to a foot injury but returned in time to play in the bowl game against Iowa State.

STRENGTHS

Decker possesses great size. Was extremely productive in college. Exhibits good quickness & agility which he uses to overcome lack of elite burst. Gets off the ball quickly and is a savvy route runner. Has excellent natural receiving skills. Goes and gets the football, displays great body control in the air and around the sidelines, and isn’t afraid to go over the middle.

WEAKNESSES

Lacks elite top end speed which could severely limit his big-play potential at the next level. Lacks a second gear to pull away from defenders after the catch or in and out of his breaks against a corner capable of mirroring him.

Shefter said this morning when asked how much Decker would command and he said 6-7 mil per actually he said north of 6 mil. Some here were thinking more than that and those numbers are not bad at all

If that report is anywhere near reality, I don't see the Jets letting him leave the facility.  It sure is starting to sound like, especially given the complete lack of interest he drew yesterday, it was the media completely over-estimating his perceived value more than anything.

Decker combine profile from 2010:

40 time: 4.56

6'3, 217

Decker is a big receiver with small receiver skills. He is quicker than he is fast and while he has enough speed he is not the type that will take many all the way to the house at the next level. He runs crisp routes and will show a good short burst to separate from defenders but will struggle to maintain that separation. He is a natural receiver that has soft, sure hands and a wide receiving radius that allows him to extend to catch slightly off target throws. He missed the final four games of the regular season due to a foot injury but returned in time to play in the bowl game against Iowa State.

STRENGTHS

Decker possesses great size. Was extremely productive in college. Exhibits good quickness & agility which he uses to overcome lack of elite burst. Gets off the ball quickly and is a savvy route runner. Has excellent natural receiving skills. Goes and gets the football, displays great body control in the air and around the sidelines, and isn’t afraid to go over the middle.

WEAKNESSES

Lacks elite top end speed which could severely limit his big-play potential at the next level. Lacks a second gear to pull away from defenders after the catch or in and out of his breaks against a corner capable of mirroring him.

This is why I've been high on the guy all off-season. No matter where he's been, he's been productive. Productive in college, productive with Orton/Tebow and productive with Manning, but I'm just not going to take anything away from him for that.

Relatively young, healthy... productive. That's what we need.

if you really care about his dime piece wife coming to town, get a hold of yourself. who cares. 

the real question is: product of system or is this guy a legit NFL playmaker? not sure i'm sold either way. 

He was productive with Tim Tebow at QB. Tim. Tebow.

the real question is: product of system or is this guy a legit NFL playmaker? not sure i'm sold either way. 

whoever signs him wont really know until the games start but bottom line he's way better than anyone they currently have at the position

This is only good news if we remember that he was a 3rd round pick that had his best success with Manning, then pay him accordingly. We might well find out that his 1,000 yard receiving years are a blip on the radar and with Geno he may have his ceiling at significantly less production.

Oh crap! I hope like heck they don't overpay. I think Decker is way overrated, but maybe beggers can't be choosers?

Decker is WAY overrated but I think Idzik will sign him to a ridiculously over priced contract. Yeah, just what Geno needs, a slow white boy to throw to while he is busy getting sacked since he has no RG or RT. I am seriously reconsidering what I think about John Idzik. He does NOT have a feel for pro personnel. The Jets are back to full f@ck up mode and I am in full midseason pissed off mode.

Decker is WAY overrated but I think Idzik will sign him to a ridiculously over priced contract. Yeah, just what Geno needs, a slow white boy to throw to while he is busy getting sacked since he has no RG or RT. I am seriously reconsidering what I think about John Idzik. He does NOT have a feel for pro personnel. The Jets are back to full f@ck up mode and I am in full midseason pissed off mode.

Idzik getting criticized for not spending, yet he's gonna overpay Decker?  Yeah, ok.

better to sit on a pile of money and do naked snow angels than to pay a guy a $1M over market per year and vastly improve your team. only jets fans.

What FA did we miss out on that would "vastly" improve our team?  If we pull a Cleveland and sign Dansby and Whitner, are we suddenly a contender?  Hell no.

Archived