#1 receivers

Jetknowledge

Jury says!........

Decker is a great 2, if we bring in jones he's a good 2 but best at the 3.

The question is how will they match up as a 1 & 2?

With the likes of revis, brent grimes & a talented young bills cornerback core it won't be easy.

In this deep draft there's 2 receivers that could be day 1 #1 receivers.

Mike evans & sammy watkins who rex ryan loves but admitted will not be available at 18.

The question is would you trade up for 1 of them?

If you do get either 1 and we manage to snag jones. We would have a fantastic 4 decker, evans or watkins, jones, and kerley.

Jury says!........

With the likes of revis, brent grimes & a talented young bills cornerback core it won't be easy.

Mike evans & sammy watkins who rex ryan loves but admitted will not be available at 18.

If you do get either 1 and we manage to snag jones. We would have a fantastic 4 decker, evans or watkins, jones, and kerley.

If we go WR w/18th pick, Decker now settled in his comfort zone as viable solid #2 and Jones would be a killer #3. But I dont see us signing Jones if plan is WR at 18 (we have valid #3's on roster) .If we sign Jones, IMO we arent goin WR at 18..

The better question is who cares?

Since when is this "true #1" stuff a prerequisite for winning a superbowl?

On the one hand, it doesn't hurt.  

On the other hand, if that "true #1" eats up $5M-10M per year more than Decker, then it does hurt.

On still another hand (I'm counting my penis), what "true #1" was available that we passed up on?

its not clear that a team needs a 1 WR to win a Super Bowl. who was Seattle's? 

Agreed.

The people complaining about "needing" a #1 WR are just repeating a soundbyte, they aren't actually considering that we've watched decades of football where teams don't have a #1 WR and yet they still have guys with skillsets that match the system, chemistry between players, and numbers get produced... points get scored.

I listed a handful of non-ideal #1 WRs that have excelled over the years in another thread.

Ultimately, anyone running with this narrative is just manufacturing something to 1.) be pissed off about, or 2.) sound like they might know what they are talking about.

Decker is a very solid reciever We need to draft the # 1 guy. And then have kerlery. Slot and Nelson and hill as our 4th. No need to run out for another WR. When u have no CBs or safteys

Wouldn't it be wise to fill the need at WR so we can be freed up to take a corner at 18, if he's the best player on the board?

I'll be happy if they add another two solid wideouts this offseason - Jones or another vet and a pick in the first three rounds would be great. The ability to roll out multiple reliable wideouts is huge, particularly with Revis in New England.

Decker brings us to 2 (Kerley), Nelson's not bad as a 5th wideout if he sticks, a vet and a solid rookie (preferably an explosive one) would round out the WR group nicely. Decker/vet/Kerley/rookie/Nelson, plus a wild card in Hill.

I'm less concerned about a true number one, and more concerned that it seems to me that most good FA WRs never seem to be anywhere near as good on their new team as their old team that got them the big FA contract. There are exceptions, but that just seems to be a general reality

I think we should look for more of a speedy wide receiver like Brandon cooks or odell bekham jr. neither one is worth taking at pick 18 but if we can move down and get another draft pick to let someone else draft another player higher than they are valued I wouldn't complain. I think geno works well with a speedy guy though he did pretty good with tavon Austin.

Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall... all great receivers.. all have won jack in the NFL.

Who needs a #1 receiver when you have a group of solid guys, which is what it seems the Jets are going for?

Green Bay is a great example they have a ton of number twos their "#1" is who randle cobb. a strong number two receiver at best no better than eric decker and they do just fine. granted they have Rodgers throwing to them.

I'd just assume have three or four good receivers, as opposed to one great one and a few middling ones.  Get guys who want to win, who don't care about leading the league in receiving and won't be in the QBs ear to get him 5 catches a game, but are still good at what they do.  I want professionals who will know their responsibilities, will play 16 games, will catch the football and help make things easy on the QB.  Would I like a Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson? F*ck yea, but it's not a prerequisite to win, never really has been.  Build a solid football team that isn't being held hostage by the cap hit of any one person, like say Fitzy over in Arizona.  

I was always on board with Decker at less than $8 million and am very pleased with this signing. Pair him with a quality, dependable veteran receiver like Sanders or Jones and bring in a rookie and you've got a very respectable receiving corp. It'll be a nice change when Kerley is the 3rd or 4th best option instead of having to try to carry that group.  

Sign Hakeem Nicks and teams will have a tough time defending Nicks-Decker-Kerley.

Bro, enough.  We know you want Nicks.  His f*cking agent knows you want him by now.  He isn't coming to the Jets on a show-me deal.  It isn't happening.  Nicks has pretty much said himself it isn't happening.

A true, no doubt, slam dunk #1 WR, like a true ace in baseball, is always more of a want than a need. Give me a group of guys who are very good at their job, if one happens to be an Andre Johnson in his prime type then yippy skippy. Otherwise there's a billion other ways to go about building a high quality football team than prioritizing a "#1" WR. 

Decker is a quality player in his prime. Thanks to the NFL's **** the Players system the Jets got him at a very good price. That matters way more than this highly subjective way of ranking WRs. OTOH, I don't really hate the "system" - I do think there are #1 guys. There just aren't 32 of them, probably not even 10 of them, so unless you have one it doesn't really matter. 

Supposedly Carolina offered $4.5M and he was NOT happy.  Off to Indy. 

$4.5 one year deal isn't that horrible actually. if he is hoping for 6 i think he will be disappointed. classic case of huge delta between player's perceived value and what the guys with the checkbook think. the only answer is one year show me deal. again, NYJ not in the picture.

If we go WR w/18th pick, Decker now settled in his comfort zone as viable solid #2 and Jones would be a killer #3. But I dont see us signing Jones if plan is WR at 18 (we have valid #3's on roster) .If we sign Jones, IMO we arent goin WR at 18..

not necessarily. imo, if they are going after jones, they are probably considering him a stop gap,ie, 1 or 2 years. they could still draft a wide receiver early,weening him in to take over the #1 or #2 spot over time. probably the smart thing to do

decker is top 32 WRs in the league. he is a number 1. if by "#1 receiver" you really mean top 10, you should probably say that.

I didn't say top 10 or 32. I said the idea of deckers ceiling is a #2 so if we want to find a 1 we could draft 1 who's cheaper.

I for 1 do not care about titles I just want at lease 3 receivers who can constantly do their jobs.

3 things: win 1 on 1 matchups, consistenly catch passes, get open. That's in no order of importance.

I didn't say top 10 or 32. I said the idea of deckers ceiling is a #2 so if we want to find a 1 we could draft 1 who's cheaper.

I for 1 do not care about titles I just want at lease 3 receivers who can constantly do their jobs.

3 things: win 1 on 1 matchups, consistenly catch passes, get open. That's in no order of importance.

i could probably have asked better but what is your definition of a "#1 receiver"? there are 32 teams so in my mind there are 32 guys that are good enough to be the top guy on an NFL team. that is my definition. i think your definition (and most on this board) of a "#1 receiver" is something more what I consider to be "an elite receiver"

Sign Hakeem Nicks and teams will have a tough time defending Nicks-Decker-Kerley.

hahahaha like this is some awesome receiver group. if they went to other teams, you would have said they suck or are jags, but since they are jets, or could be jets, they are the next stallworth and swann.

mrsryan

We had better not be planning on doing anything with that #18 pick.  Unless you have the first pick, the draft is a crapshoot.  Get the best guy you can wherever he plays.  Deciding to pick a WR ahead of time with 17 picks ahead of you is insane. 

Jury says!........

If the Jets walk out of free agency with two guys who are 1a  or 2 they are doing good.  I can't really call Decker a # 2.  He is a 1a in my book.  Sure his stats won't be what they were outside of Denver.  But the Jets are looking for their # 1 to break the 1,000 yard mark.  They aren't asking for 100 catches and 1,300 yards.

So if they walk away with two solid veterans and draft hopefully a future # 1 they are in good shape.  Kerley can be the slot guy and then you have Hill, and Nelson in the mix as well.  Much better than last year.  So I would stay put and take the best receiver available in the draft.  No more trading up for me.

its not clear that a team needs a 1 WR to win a Super Bowl. who was Seattle's? 

exactly.  I say this all the time.  teams win Super Bowls.  The Super QB does not always win.  the monster RB or pass rusher does not always win.  organizations build good teams and teams win Super Bowls.  And hey, the guy caught 80 or so passes---so he got open 80 or so times.  If he does that for the Jets he has earned his money, whether the QB can find him or not.

Guys Jets ARE NOT drafting WR in Round 1 outside of some crazy miracle Watkins gets caught smoking crack between now, and the draft. Like it, or not (the Jets management, and coaches don't give a sh*t what your opinion, or mine is on the talent on their roster) Stephen Hill is still considered part of the future plans (he is younger than Kelvin Benjamin, and has 2 years of NFL experience), and we signed Nelson to a 2 year deal.

2nd round on I'd be shocked if the Jets didn't grab 2 WR's, it's the deepest position in the draft, and top notch talent can be had after Rd 1.

Guys Jets ARE NOT drafting WR in Round 1 outside of some crazy miracle Watkins gets caught smoking crack between now, and the draft. Like it, or not (the Jets management, and coaches don't give a sh*t what your opinion, or mine is on the talent on their roster) Stephen Hill is still considered part of the future plans (he is younger than Kelvin Benjamin, and has 2 years of NFL experience), and we signed Nelson to a 2 year deal.

2nd round on I'd be shocked if the Jets didn't grab 2 WR's, it's the deepest position in the draft, and top notch talent can be had after Rd 1.

Maybe not but the only positions we can guarantee we won't be taking in round one is P or K

A true, no doubt, slam dunk #1 WR, like a true ace in baseball, is always more of a want than a need. Give me a group of guys who are very good at their job, if one happens to be an Andre Johnson in his prime type then yippy skippy. Otherwise there's a billion other ways to go about building a high quality football team than prioritizing a "#1" WR.

Decker is a quality player in his prime. Thanks to the NFL's **** the Players system the Jets got him at a very good price. That matters way more than this highly subjective way of ranking WRs. OTOH, I don't really hate the "system" - I do think there are #1 guys. There just aren't 32 of them, probably not even 10 of them, so unless you have one it doesn't really matter.

John Wooden ftw!

If the Jets walk out of free agency with two guys who are 1a  or 2 they are doing good.  I can't really call Decker a # 2.  He is a 1a in my book.  Sure his stats won't be what they were outside of Denver.  But the Jets are looking for their # 1 to break the 1,000 yard mark.  They aren't asking for 100 catches and 1,300 yards.

So if they walk away with two solid veterans and draft hopefully a future # 1 they are in good shape.  Kerley can be the slot guy and then you have Hill, and Nelson in the mix as well.  Much better than last year.  So I would stay put and take the best receiver available in the draft.  No more trading up for me.

Not according to JoeWillie.   

You know that it doesn't matter who the Jets sign.   Geno sucks and regardless of who the jets sign/draft at wr the offense will stink as long as Geno is here.   

What a load of Sh*t this is. if we had a #1, you'd be saying that you always need a #1, and I'd much rather have that the bunch of jags we have now. More bullspit from someone trying to justify that the jets got what they needed in FA. The didn't get jacksquat except some jag WR and a freaking fg kicker.

mrsryan

Archived