Jets (will maybe, someday) sign Brandon Pettigrew. Or not.

Favorite_Toon

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the New York Daily News, the Jets will sign TE Brandon Pettigrew shortly.

It's an upgrade on Zach Sudfeld and Jeff Cumberland, but it's far from a difference-making acquisition. Pettigrew is a plodding, catch-and-fall guy in the passing game that has averaged 9.95 yards per reception in his five-year career. He's also been a liability when blocking in the run game. Pettigrew will barely be on the TE2 radar with Geno Smith and the Jets.

According to the New York Daily News, the Jets will sign TE Brandon Pettigrew shortly.

It's an upgrade on Zach Sudfeld and Jeff Cumberland, but it's far from a difference-making acquisition. Pettigrew is a plodding, catch-and-fall guy in the passing game that has averaged 9.95 yards per reception in his five-year career. He's also been a liability when blocking in the run game. Pettigrew will barely be on the TE2 radar with Geno Smith and the Jets.

I understand that he is a pretty good blocker, but a so so receiver

Like it.  He's nothing spectacular, but the Jets have had absolutely nothing at TE the past couple of years (perhaps longer depending on your opinions of Keller), and he certainly is a quality option.  I don't expect to see either one of Pettigrew or Cumberland being locked in as the unquestioned every down starter, but a couple of guys with different strengths and skill sets who can (hopefully) compliment each other nicely.  Not only that, but the Jets can actually do something so crazy as have both on the field at the same time and reasonably running multi-TE sets.

I'm sure he's no worse of a blocker than we've had at TE in years.

Becht is probably the last TE we had that was a decent blocker.  Unfortunately he caught as well as someone born with no fingers.

I think Baker eventually got his sh*t together in that area, but that is basically the highlight of the Jets TE position, a guy who was decidedly mediocre at every skill of the TE position, and slow as sh*t to boot.

Neither Keller nor Cumberland could block a damn thing.

I really wanted this one. Fits the team's style - he's jumbo sized, athletic, has upside for the passing game, and brings a base skill considered less useful for some than others - he can block well. Good job Idzik. I'm guessing Tuesday afternoon was spent tweaking and perfecting his steely glare, necessary for the long months ahead. 

I see this signing as similar to the Bennett signing the Giants made a couple of years ago that worked out well, but he's a little better than Bennett. 

I really wanted this one. Fits the team's style - he's jumbo sized, athletic, has upside for the passing game, and brings a base skill considered less useful for some than others - he can block well. Good job Idzik. I'm guessing Tuesday afternoon was spent tweaking and perfecting his steely glare, necessary for the long months ahead. 

I see this signing as similar to the Bennett signing the Giants made a couple of years ago that worked out well, but he's a little better than Bennett. 

The Black Unicorn? 

Archived