Cody Latimer: Junior, WR Indiana

Villain The Foe

I think so. Could be a sleeper. He seems like he was a very good player on an overall poor football team. 

if he's a late rd pick, any idea on why he's leaving school?    

I get the sense that Idzik likes to stay drama free and won't take players with personal red flags.  

if he's a late rd pick, any idea on why he's leaving school?    

I get the sense that Idzik likes to stay drama free and won't take players with personal red flags.  

Maybe because he's eligible being a junior. I haven't heard anything about him, then again I only looked at highlights and tape. 

and god knows we need all the help we can get in the WR spot

This kid is pretty good and he did fine against top talent.  He had 7 catches for 58 yards and a TD against Michigan St. where he basically boxed out Darqueze Dennard for the td. Another td that Cody doesnt get credit for is a screen pass to a WR and it was Cody's job to block his defender. Cody not only blocked him but took the CB entirely out of the play and drove him out of bounds. Michigan State was the 2nd best defense in the FBS if im correct.

This kid is pretty good and he did fine against top talent.  He had 7 catches for 58 yards and a TD against Michigan St. where he basically boxed out Darqueze Dennard for the td. Another td that Cody doesnt get credit for is a screen pass to a WR and it was Cody's job to block his defender. Cody not only blocked him but took the CB entirely out of the play and drove him out of bounds. Michigan State was the 2nd best defense in the FBS if im correct.

i like it, hope he fall to us! love to see him in green and white

• 4 weeks later...

ive seen sources (Gil Brandt) that have him as high as rd 2. 

Miss Lonelyhearts (Is that Aten? I forget) has him as a potential first.

To be fair, Villain posted this before he ran.  He is coming off foot surgery and limiting his workouts. I don't think people were expecting him to rip off a 4.38 at his pro day.

To be fair, Villain posted this before he ran.  He is coming off foot surgery and limiting his workouts. I don't think people were expecting him to rip off a 4.38 at his pro day.

McShay apparently has him in his newest mock rd 1 

Latimer ran a 4.38 at his pro day??? Thats crazy...I didn't know that. 

McShay apparently has him in his newest mock rd 1 

I got to see that. Latimer must be flying up big boards. 

NFL Draft 2014: Cody Latimer Scouting Report

By Aaron Sims  @adotsims on Apr 18 2014, 7:29a 32

20130914_jla_bl1_486.0_standard_709.0.jp
Cody Latimer is really good.

The Seahawks brought in Cody Latimer, WR out of Indiana, for a visit on April 15th which could mean nothing, but it could also mean EVERYTHING! As has often been discussed, Seattle could draft a WR in the 1st round and Latimer certainly has the skills to warrant that high of a selection.

Until his Pro Day a lot of people, me included, didn't even know Latimer existed (Villain did! :winking0001: ). He unfortunately played at Indiana and then had a foot injury that knocked him out of theNFL Scout Combine. If Latimer had played for Notre Dame or participated at the combine, then everyone would have been raving about him in February. Nonetheless, Latimer got everyone's attention at his Pro Day after he ran a 4.38-4.44 40 (various sources had different times) and jumped 39" with a still-injured foot. What would his numbers have been if he were healthy!?!?!?!

Furthermore, Latimer is not only an athletic freak but he is a really good football player as well. He's fast, has phenomenal body control, terrific hands, is a tremendous blocker, and plays with aggression. NFL analyst and former Seahawks scout Bucky Brooks recently mentioned Latimer as a player that could sneak into the back of the first. Brooks wrote:

Confirming game tape:

"Latimer suddenly is one of the hottest names in the draft, following a spectacular pro-day workout that showcased his explosive athleticism -- just a few months after foot surgery, to boot. With the game tape confirming Latimer's dynamic traits as a playmaker in space, scouts and coaches are pegging the Indiana product as a potential No. 1 receiver. Thus, he has emerged as a legitimate candidate for selection at the bottom of the first round."

Brooks again provides more praise of Latimer,

Latimer's leaping ability and body control are what make him a top-32 talent. There are tons of fast WRs in the draft but few are capable of making the catches that Latimer snags with ease. Danny recently wrote an article on what to look for in scouting WRsand he used some Bill Walsh quotes that I am going to steal because they describe Latimer's game so accurately. Walsh said:

"It's hard to find big, athletic pass catchers with the kind of speed and explosiveness that Latimer displays on the field. He shows exceptional first-step quickness out of his stance, but I was more impressed with his balance and body control when changing directions. Additionally, Latimer flashes outstanding leaping ability on the perimeter, which makes his combination of size, speed and length tough to defend in one-on-one situations. Given the challenges Latimer's overall athleticism poses to defenders, I believe he will rank as a blue-chip athlete on most draft boards."

"The critical factor at wide receiver in my mind, is agility and body control, the ability to change your body position, often off the ground, in order to get your hands in position to make the catch, a la Cris Carter of Minnesota. He would be the ideal in that respect. That particular characteristic must be there for the receiver to be considered a Pro Bowl or a Hall of Fame player. You must have that to get to the highest tier of play."

"We can have drills where the receiver is running under the ball and making great catch after great catch. So people would assume that he has outstanding hands. But in reality, most catches are made with the ball and the defender closing at the same instant and the receiver having to reverse his body into a totally different position, get your hands up and catch the ball and be hit at the same moment. That is the key element in greatness -- agility and strength together."

"Focus is critical here. The ability to find the ball, focusing on it and isolating it from everything else that's happening. When you are evaluating the tapes, you look for those plays that demonstrate those situations. You make a evaluation tape of those plays."

"Pure speed is helpful, but full-stride speed becomes important. You would like a receiver with the ball in the open field to be able to keep the separation with the closing defenders until he gets over the goal line. He doesn't have to outrun them. He doesn't have to gain ground on them. He just has to get there before they do so he scores. So it doesn't have to be sprinters' speed, but full-stride speed."

"Now there have been other people who have been Olympic sprinters who get tangled up and can't get back into full stride quickly enough and somebody just comes up and overwhelms them from out of nowhere. If they catch the ball and there is any contact at all, by the time they get back in running stride, the people have closed on them. Full-stride speed is the key."

Aforementioned, Latimer is not only an explosive athlete with tremendous body control, but is an amazing blocker as well. Under Pete Carroll, the Seahawks will always be a run first team so being able to block as a WR is paramount. Latimer benched 225 23 times at the combine, the most of any WR, and uses his strength to habitually punk DBs on the boundary.

Tom Cable would be happy about this:

Darrel Bevell would be happy about this:

There is a lot to like about Latimer so he it is possible that he may be drafted before Seattle's pick. However, he still has some flaws in his game and coupled with a strong WR class, he may still be available at 32. One knock on him has been his unpolished route running. He didn't play football until his junior season of high school nor did he redshirt at Indiana so he has only played five seasons of organized football. Because of this, he lacks the nuances of creating separation with more than just athleticism. Again, Bucky Brooks touched on this,

"Latimer didn't have a lot of exposure to advanced route-running concepts in Indiana's spread offense, but his overall athleticism should make him a solid route runner in time. He has the straight-line speed to excel on vertical routes, yet also has the body control to get in and out of breaks on short and intermediate routes. He will need to eliminate the extra steps at the top of his breaks, but an astute position coach will help Latimer refine his game at the next level. If he can master the subtleties of route running early in his career, he could emerge as a potential No. 1 receiver in the right situation."

The Seahawks definitely could provide the "right situation" for Latimer to develop into a No. 1 receiver. Percy Harvin is already the expected No. 1, Doug Baldwin is a solid No. 2,Jermaine Kearse made huge plays in the postseason and Sidney Rice is still on the team so there is very little pressure for Latimer to contribute immediately. Plus the QB is a baller, the locker room is full of meticulous workers, and the coaching staff is notorious for developing players. Latimer certainly has the potential to be a star in the NFL and should definitely be in consideration as the Seahawks' first round pick.

thumb_brandt.jpg?m=1341372214g

By Gil Brandt | 

Published: April 25th, 2014 | Tags: Cody LatimerIndianaPhiladelphia Eagles

Representatives from 25 NFL teams — including Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, and wide receivers coaches from the Indianapolis Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers, St. Louis Rams and Washington Redskins — attended a workout Friday for Indiana wide receiverCody Latimer that lasted just 16 minutes.

Latimer caught 18 passes in the workout, but had a couple of drops.

Due to a broken bone in his foot, Latimer was only able to run the 40-yard dash at Indiana’s pro day on March 26. He did manage to post a time of 4.44 seconds.

With less than two weeks to go until the 2014 NFL Draft, Latimer is gaining momentum as one of the event’s fastest-rising prospects. Latimer was one of a record 30 prospects who will attend the draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

The Jets should have been in attendance. 

NFL Draft 2014: Eagles work out Cody Latimer after private Pro Day  

14761678-mmmain.jpg

Indiana wide receiver Cody Latimer held aprivate Pro Day on Friday, working out for NFL scouts one final team before the NFL draft in two weeks.

Even after the workout, however, the Eagles reportedly wanted more.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Eagles head coach Chip Kelly spent 15 minutes with Latimer after his workout. The coach reportedly had Latimer run some of the Eagles' routes, a first-hand look at what the wide receiver would look like in Kelly's offense.

The extra time with Latimer only puts more fuel on the growing fire that the Eagles might use their first-round pick on him.

Latimer, 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, has seen his name skyrocket up draft boards over the past few weeks. Originally projected to go in the third round, Latimer will now almost certainly be gone by the time the Eagles go on the clock with their second-round pick, No. 54.

This is not the first time the Eagles have shown interest in Latimer, as they also reportedly had him come to Philadelphia for a visit earlier this month

this guy is rising like.........

This is how fast this dude is rising. To literally see how back in mid march when I originally started this thread how virtually no one even heard of Cody Latimer and to see on May 2nd him being an invitee to Radio City and a potential 1st round pick.  This two week push back of the draft has really got thing into over drive right now! lol. Not saying that Latimer isn't worth the pick if he goes that high, I think he has much potential, I'm just saying that just over a month ago you never heard of him. Just three weeks ago no one cared about Tom Savage yet ESPN was talking bout Savage on NFL live today for almost 10 minutes lol. We need to get this draft over with! 

TOP 5 Sleepers for the Jets at 18

By Dobermite on May 1 2014, 12:18p 27

We've all seen the same names projected to the Jets at 18; Ebron, Beckham, Cooks, Lee, Gilbert, Dennard, Pryor or Clinton-Dix, and to a lesser extent; Fuller, Roby, Kony Ealy or Dee Ford.

Obviously if Barr or Manziel were to slide to the Jets it shouldn't be a big surprise if we took them, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mosley, Shazier, Zack Martin or anyone who carries a consensus TOP 20-25 Grade is plucked at 18. When I say sleepers, I mean guys who are totally off the radar at 18. They may be on the radar at 49, but practically no-one is considering them at 18. So here are my TOP 5 sleepers for the Jets at 18, guys who are completely off the radar at 18, but I believe its possible they could be the pick:

1. Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana

No elite prospect has flown under the radar in this draft like Latimer. I follow the draft religiously and even I slept on Latimer. There are various reports out there about his exact (pro day) measurables. I've seen 6' 3"/220 and a 4.38 forty, but be that as it may, everyone agrees that his pro day was jaw-dropping and it had scouts league-wide rushing back to re-evaluate the tape on this player, and what they discovered validated what they saw in shorts. What they saw was a big, fast, physical stud who runs good routes, got behind defenses deep, out-fought DB's for the ball in traffic, and caught just about everything he touched. He looks like Dez Bryant. I know people are suspicious of the proverbial "late risers", it sounds too much like Stephen Hill, so I'm sure a number of Jets fans will NOT be receptive to this idea, but this is no Stephen Hill, this is not a kid who played in some antiquated triple-option and is a complete project as a route runner and receiver. This young man played under Kevin Wilson at Indiana and they fling the ball all over the yard. Everyone knows Latimer is rising, but don't be surprised if he rises right past Cooks and Lee and puts himself in play for a TOP 20 Pick.

2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

ASJ is actually a popular player amongst the Jets faithful, but at 49, not at 18. I've been saying all along, for many months, that this player does not escape the first round if he didn't hurt his foot which essentially forced him to sit out the entire draft evaluation process. Indeed he would be a steal at 49, but I never saw that as realistic. I would love it, but in my view its wishful thinking. This kid is 6' 6"/270 and he reportedly ran in the 4.5's at a recent private workout for the Jets. Like Julius Thomas and Antonio Gates, ASJ is a basketball player and you can see that same kind of athleticism when you watch his tape. I think this is one of the most underrated players in the draft and I would not be surprised to hear his name called in the first round. In fact it would not surprise me if he cracks the TOP 20. I'm not predicting that it will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

3. Demarcus Lawrence, OLB, Boise State

I was projecting this player to the Jets at 49 back when that was viewed as as reach, back when most draft sites still had him pegged as a middle rounder. When I watched the his tape I felt like I was watching a first rounder; great first step, explosive off the edge and a violent hitter when he gets there, with ideal size for the 3-4 rush linebacker position at the next level. In the months since then I have watched this player steadily climb up the board to the point where he is now viewed as a solid late 1 or early 2, and that might be right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes even higher.

4. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois

I doubt the Jets will take a QB in RD 1 and unless its Manziel (whom I love, and I know that is not universal), I would consider that ill advised. That said, IMO Jimmy G. has the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft other than Manziel. I expect him to go in RD 1, and I would not be surprised if he leaps Bridgewater and Carr to become the third QB off the board behind Manziel and Bortles. It wouldn't even shock me if he leaps Bortles. It would take guts for the team that takes him, but the reward could be enormous. This kid has a good live arm and a lightning quick release, reminiscent of Dan Marino, and he threw for over 5000 Yards this year. If he played D1A ball he might be a TOP 10 Pick.

5. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

While I think its highly unlikely Ward will go to the Jets at 18, I believe he carries a first round grade and I wouldn't completely rule it out. This kid was a tremendous player at NI and he's considerably faster than Dix and Pryor at about the same size. Ward is the only one of the three who runs in the 4.4's and his tape is equally impressive. Again, 18 might be too high, but I don't see much of a gap between Pryor, Clinton-Dix and Ward.

this guy is rising like.........

my rod at the gym while on the nautilus machine watching the milf in front of me do reverse leg curls?

my rod while sleeping and dreaming of having my way with triplets and a midget?

my rod while sitting on the train at 7am and trying to get glimpses of camel and cheeks?

my rod while at the beach

my rod while walking thru home depot and unexpectedly seeing the milf who just came from the gym and is still wearing spandex?

my rod while...u know.... anything

Archived