F-it....bring back antonio cromartie, lol

neckdemon

The thing that I'm confused about is whether I'm supposed to understand that this is a really sh*tty free agent market or that this is the way Idzik does business. At some point he's going to have to spend, but he will not be doing so in a vacuum, there will always be other teams interested in a player he is and some will then be screaming about how he got into a bidding war and overspent. In theory, you can keep pushing the cap space onto the next year because you didn't find a player you deemed worthy to spend the money on. If I understand correctly, you have to spend 89 percent of your cap space over a four year period. Does this mean for example, that say the cap were 100 mil (to make it an even number, I know its 133 or whatever) If it is 100 mil and doesn't move, say you:

Spend 80 mil in year one then:

Spend 80 mil in year two:

Spend 80 mil in year three:

By year four you have 300 million that you were supposed to spend. You spent 240. Now you have the number go to 400 mil for the four year period. You now MUST spend 356 (89 percent of 400) which leaves you having to spend 116 mil in that fourth year, since you spent 240 in the first three years? Wouldn't that leave you in position to hand out some really bad contracts?

There is no "salary cap floor" but a CASH spending floor of 89% per team over two four year periods:

"For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013-2016 and 2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-16 and 2017-2020 are $100, $120, $130, and $150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)." CBA

The league wide spending must be 95% of CASH for the periods (2013-16, 2017-2020).

For example, Joe Flacco was paid approximately $30 million in cash in 2013 but cost $7 million on the salary cap.  For "Salary Floor" purposes the entire $30 million counts towards the 89% team spending necessary over 2013-16, not $7 million, this is why there is no cap floor.

The bottom line is no team makes roster decisions based on meeting their salary floor.

I wouldn't classify Byrd, Ward, Davis, Ware, Revis as not being special.

Byrd and Ward aren't going to transform your defense.  Davis yes.  Revis yes, with the qualifier that he was never going to come here.  Ware is old.  On any of those 5 players we were going to have to blow them out of the water with deals.  No thanks.  

There is no "salary cap floor" but a CASH spending floor of 89% per team over two four year periods:

"For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013-2016 and 2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-16 and 2017-2020 are $100, $120, $130, and $150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)." CBA

The league wide spending must be 95% of CASH for the periods (2013-16, 2017-2020).

For example, Joe Flacco was paid approximately $30 million in cash in 2013 but cost $7 million on the salary cap.  For "Salary Floor" purposes the entire $30 million counts towards the 89% team spending necessary over 2013-16, not $7 million, this is why there is no cap floor.

The bottom line is no team makes roster decisions based on meeting their salary floor.

Forgive my thickness, but in the Flacco case what is the other 23 mil and why doesn't it count against the cap?

Dont think Jets had a shot at ANY of those players except maybe Ward and Davis. probably not even Davis

All the pretty girls like to be courted. You do not walk up to them and say " we're gonna' get it on. Take it or leave it, because that's all I think you're worthy of. I honestly don't think we tried too hard to sell these FA on coming here. Decker, yes.... but I think he and his wife wanted the media spotlight. We didn't have to do much selling... just get in the salary "ballpark."

best available option at this point, unless we are planning on drafting ANOTHER cb in the first and watching him go through going pains along with our previous year 1st round pick 2nd year corner and mediocre 1st round pick nickelback

I'm afraid you're right.

I spent all day blowing off steam at the latest failure to land a CB in this FA.  I've been hard on Idzik but in reality, Verner was a zone guy, Munnerlyn was short and Thurmond III was a risk and in the end, so was DRC in spite of his good year last season.  I can't blame John entirely but have real concerns moving forward with his methods.  He's either low-balling, not negotiating from his first offer or both.  It wasn't good enough as he's missed on a bunch of prospects to this point and even though I'm upset about not landing a top CB, I can't pile on too much regarding LaFell and Pettigrew. 

Not pleased with the results so far.  I'd probably be singing a different tune had he landed Vontae Davis from the start.

But as you said, who else is there?  Champ Bailey on a 1-year?  Cro with a degenerative hip condition?  Kyle Wilson??  Roby (who they spoke with) from Ohio State in the 2nd round?  Morris Claiborne through trade?  The options are far fewer than last week this time.

All the pretty girls like to be courted. You do not walk up to them and say " we're gonna' get it on. Take it or leave it, because that's all I think you're worthy of. I honestly don't think we tried too hard to sell these FA on coming here. Decker, yes.... but I think he and his wife wanted the media spotlight. We didn't have to do much selling... just get in the salary "ballpark."

Yeah, this is what's most alarming.  Idzik seems incapable of negotiating with these type of FA's.  It's one thing to take the hard-line approach when you have a case full of recent Lomardi trophies or a HOF QB on your roster but it's another when you have essentially no leverage as a team that has an erratic, young QB and most importantly, lots and lots of cash.  how are you going to low-ball top-end FA's in that scenario?  Idzik needs to learn and adapt.

No... I'm sure that when we pick 8th in next years draft we should be able to make progress. And hopefully Idzik will learn from his mistakes and get some quality FA's to go along with our 20 draft picks between this year and next. After all, he will have about $60 million to spend next year.

We are better off going picking 8th than spending a bunch of money getting us to 8-8. This is the year we find out if we need to be players for one of the top QBs in next years draft. If we need to be, better off having both cap space and the ammo to get him.

If FA's are pretty girls and organizations are the guys. I would say Broncos are Leonardo Dicaprio and we are Seth Rogen. Like I said, we had no shot ha. 

The New York Post reports the Jets "aren't being very aggressive" in trying to re-sign free agent CB Antonio Cromartie.

Cromartie wants to return and play for Rex Ryan, but he isn't going to play for peanuts. We'd guess he'd take a deal similar to Cortland Finnegan's with the Dolphins -- two years and $11 million. But GM John Idzik seems hellbent on playing it slow and letting the market come to him. It's already cost the Jets Vontae Davis and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Cromartie has drawn interest from the Cardinals. Aside from them, his market has been quiet.
Related: Jets

Not much. Lateral move at RT. Lateral move at OLB. Lateral move at K. Downgrade at CB. Upgrade at WR.

What else?

Rookies becoming 2nd year players improves the team on paper from last year, and not insignificantly.  Particularly at QB.

Also there will be another draft class. A large one.

Archived