Idzik Offered Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a Prove-It Deal

LAD_Brooklyn

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/3/17/5520520/free-agency-new-york-jets-offered-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-a-prove

According to Andrew Brandt of ESPN, the New York Jets offered Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a one-year prove-it deal to the tune of $6M, with options to retain him if things worked out. This obviously fell below the New York Giants average of $7M over five years, $8M in the first two. In retrospect, easy to see why Rodgers-Cromartie took the money.

That said, I can understand why John Idzik was nervous about offering Rodgers-Cromartie a prove-it deal. He's had one (really) great year in six years in being in the league, and talked about retiring just three months ago. He seemed like a great fit for Rex Ryan's defense, but he's hardly the model of consistency. I, along with many others here, wanted him, but I think it's reasonable to have had concerns, which many of you expressed.

I myself would have offered Rodgers-Cromartie more, up to $8M for the one year. I like the idea of the prove-it deal and he's as fitting a candidate as you'll get. Show you're consistent, and we'll show you the money. I think Idzik lowballed him, and just wasn't willing to take the same risks as the Giants. Of course, the Jets don't have a Super Bowl-winning quarterback that's in his thirties with limited time remaining in the league. The two teams are simply in different places.

What are your thoughts?

Show you're consistent, and we'll show you the money. I think Idzik lowballed him, and just wasn't willing to take the same risks as the Giants. Of course, the Jets don't have a Super Bowl-winning quarterback that's in his thirties with limited time remaining in the league. The two teams are simply in different places.

#necessarysenseofurgency

Alroght i should ask what are the bigger problems and holes

I like most of your signings, but your problem was the line and how it made Eli look like one of our QB's. You overdrafted Pugh in my opinion and will have to probably go Oline again now, this year. I think it was pretty clear you guys had holes all over the team, keeping talent at a good price point is one of the downsides when you win consistently. I don't see how you did anything to help your 2 time SB MVP though and without the benefit of hindsight he looked like one of the worst QBs in the league last year.

Not sure why he even bothered to have him in. Never in a million years was he taking that deal.

I agree. They should have just faxed over that idea to his agent and not wasted any time.     The guy had kind of a prove it year with the Broncos and they thought enough of him to offer him a ridiculous contract.  He balked, they signed talib, and he was off to find another team.    

A player is worth what the market says he is.   The Broncos thought he was worth a lot.  The Giants did as well.     Idzik obviously has a different opinion, but at the same time, why waste time interviewing a guy both know won't sign that deal.

The bigger question is how do you let Justin Tuck and Linval Joseph leave and then pony up big bucks for a cornerback who is below elite level?  I would say that Idzik's approach makes more sense than Reese's.

The bigggest problem with this offseason is everyone thinks tuck was a huge loss the guy is noot the sa,e. Constantly injured. Gets man handled non stop by average right tackles. hes not great at rushing the passer any more. Also linvall was good but only as a run stuffer, giants have kept the same setup at dt for years and its worked out

Griffen walks-fred robbins takes over

Fred robbins walks-cofield takes over

Cofield walks-linvall takes over

Linvall walks-Hankins takes over

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/3/17/5520520/free-agency-new-york-jets-offered-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-a-prove

According to Andrew Brandt of ESPN, the New York Jets offered Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a one-year prove-it deal to the tune of $6M, with options to retain him if things worked out. This obviously fell below the New York Giants average of $7M over five years, $8M in the first two. In retrospect, easy to see why Rodgers-Cromartie took the money.

That said, I can understand why John Idzik was nervous about offering Rodgers-Cromartie a prove-it deal. He's had one (really) great year in six years in being in the league, and talked about retiring just three months ago. He seemed like a great fit for Rex Ryan's defense, but he's hardly the model of consistency. I, along with many others here, wanted him, but I think it's reasonable to have had concerns, which many of you expressed.

I myself would have offered Rodgers-Cromartie more, up to $8M for the one year. I like the idea of the prove-it deal and he's as fitting a candidate as you'll get. Show you're consistent, and we'll show you the money. I think Idzik lowballed him, and just wasn't willing to take the same risks as the Giants. Of course, the Jets don't have a Super Bowl-winning quarterback that's in his thirties with limited time remaining in the league. The two teams are simply in different places.

What are your thoughts?

Now that this info has come out I think Idizk made the correct approach. No need locking up money on a guy who doesnt work out given inconsistency and possible lack of effort (Santonio Holmes) . 

I dont think Idzik Lowballed him, the 6 million had options. What many people and probably the Giants was looking at was all of the attention that DRC was getting and how he was a top 4 cover corner still on the board (which was true). Idzik seems to be looking at the fact that Denver gave him a 1 year 10 million dollar deal masked as a 5 year 54 million dollar deal. This means that the team that he just went to the superbowl with for some reason didnt want to fully commit to him. Idzik knew that he didnt know the player better than Denver and kinda put a tester out there. The Giants were willing to commit more and thats how the cookie crumbles. If DRC works out they'll look like they pulled a fast one on their hometown rivals. If DRC doesnt work out no one will remember what Idzik approach was because it wasnt "sexy". 

I've went through so much with this team that this doesnt even bother me. Im simply going to side with Idzik because what he's doing things so different. I dont know if its the correct thing or if it will even work, but it is surely different than what we've had in the past. What I can atleast say is that the man sticks to his philosophy. Im going to stay reserved and see this out. I think he's smarter & better than all the things said about him negatively the past 7 days. 

I like most of your signings, but your problem was the line and how it made Eli look like one of our QB's. You overdrafted Pugh in my opinion and will have to probably go Oline again now, this year. I think it was pretty clear you guys had holes all over the team, keeping talent at a good price point is one of the downsides when you win consistently. I don't see how you did anything to help your 2 time SB MVP though and without the benefit of hindsight he looked like one of the worst QBs in the league last year.

See i would have to disagree was pugh drafted a little high last year maybe but did he play like he was drafted to high, tte answer is no... he ended up grading out as a better player than jockel fisher and lane johnson.

He was shaky early on but then really turned it on in the 2nd half of season. wiwith a full year of weight training umder his belt he will put on a little more strength and be better

Also big thing is addition by subtraction no more baas nore more diehl no more random scrubs on the oline.

Scwartz was the number 1 rated guard and they added him, and they went out and got jd walton for center. He was injued witha bad ankle injury but the giants medical staff must have liked what they saw ad if he regains form this o line is alot better not to mention giants may go oline in possibly 2 out 3 first rounds in draft. But at least 1

Why does it say the Giants deal was $8M for the first 2?  I get that the guy means $8M per for 2, but he got a $10M signing bonus, so it's even more frontloaded than that. Especially for a guy that yaps about retiring.  

Yep.  If he drops from being a top-rated CB to a below-average one (yet again), then it'll cost the Giants $8M in dead space to dump him after a year, $6M to dump him after 2, etc.  That's what a $10M SB does.

Archived