cutting the cord

Lizard King

I have not found any channels on Roku that I am particularly interested in.  I basically use it for netflix and youtube.  If anybody likes a roku channel I'd love to know.  I'd love to know the best way to run slingbox too.  It was too choppy in 2007 when I first considered it.  Digital antennas can be hit or miss.  My building is hard wired for broadcast, but down here you are not seeing the Jets much anyway.  AFC is Ravens, NFC is Skins. It Milan I didn't even have those options, so it was streaming feeds from wherever.  Japan, Norway, you name it. 

Good to know about digital antennas.... also, ok, so basically, Roku is an overpriced Chromecast, at least for your uses. I love Chromecast's using the phone as the remote...I run HBO Go on it flawlessly with a 15/5 FiOS router and the wife still doing basic Facebook stuff on her laptop. I used Showbox a few times with about 80% instant streaming success, which is impressive considering that the media is probably sitting on some server on a farm in Ukraine. The more comfortable you get with Chromecast, you learn how to do some of the 'off the GooglePlay Store' functionality, which is really very simple. Streaming photos from the phone, websites from the computer, it's all relatively easy. As of this time, I dont see any reason to get a Roku.

I was in Vermont a couple years ago to see a brother of mine, and his friend had a Slingbox and was streaming local tv to watch the Jets play the Raiders. I would say the picture and sound were OK, not the quality you'd get on the original set though. I didn't know their network situation and would venture that as college kids, it wasn't greate, but probably a 15/5 setup anyway, since that's basic stuff but you just had 3-4 rooms all pulling on it possibly.

Also, my brother is in defense tech contracting in DC, I bet you guys run in the same circles.

look into what you get. it wasn't until after I got my chromecast that I discovered it didn't work with my router, even after reprogramming the router. the site said you could reprogram it and it would work, but after doing it and reading user reviews on the matter, it turned out that it still didn't work. and for whatever reason, there's a pretty long list of routers chromecast doesn't work with listed on the site. I had to sell the chromecast and buy the roku2, which was nearly triple the price. it was still a good buy, but it was triple the price, which was aggravating.

look into what you get. it wasn't until after I got my chromecast that I discovered it didn't work with my router, even after reprogramming the router. the site said you could reprogram it and it would work, but after doing it and reading user reviews on the matter, it turned out that it still didn't work. and for whatever reason, there's a pretty long list of routers chromecast doesn't work with listed on the site. I had to sell the chromecast and buy the roku2, which was nearly triple the price. it was still a good buy, but it was triple the price, which was aggravating.

Luckily the router is working. I have FiOS. So far, Chromecast has been more than I ever expected. Especially when you dig under the surface a little and learn what it can really do.

Luckily the router is working. I have FiOS. So far, Chromecast has been more than I ever expected. Especially when you dig under the surface a little and learn what it can really do.

You have/know any cool hacks? 

This deal that Amazon signed with HBO today is pretty huge. Pretty clear they're going straight after Netflix. I hope this finally forces Apple to finally come to the table regarding a Prime app. If not I may get a Fire TV and cancel HBO. I know for now it's only for past programming, but I think this is HBO feeling things out for sooner for inevitably upgrading to current stuff like Game of Thrones and True Detective.

Regardless, Fire TV just jumped straight to the head of the class with Google and Apple. Should be interesting to see how both companies respond. Best thing that Apple can do is get their new box out ASAP.

This deal that Amazon signed with HBO today is pretty huge. Pretty clear they're going straight after Netflix. I hope this finally forces Apple to finally come to the table regarding a Prime app. If not I may get a Fire TV and cancel HBO. I know for now it's only for past programming, but I think this is HBO feeling things out for sooner for inevitably upgrading to current stuff like Game of Thrones and True Detective.

Regardless, Fire TV just jumped straight to the head of the class with Google and Apple. Should be interesting to see how both companies respond. Best thing that Apple can do is get their new box out ASAP.

Yeah it's funny you bring this up. My brother just said that HBO was about to make a deal that broke away from their allegiance with cable. It's a great deal for HBO. It's great for consumers. It was shrewd to announce after Netflix earnings Monday when Reed Hastings said they would have to raise prices. Netflix is on its way out.

Have fun... Reddit thread that has conversation about play store and non play store. Including web video streaming off of your phone, which for now is only a computer browser function technically

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/

Thanks, gonna give this a shot. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/23yff3/plex_is_a_must_have_for_any_chrommcast_owner_just/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived