•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Seattle's roster construction, as it stands currently

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,702 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

POPULAR

I posted this in another thread.  However, because I'm awesome, I decided to make it into a thread on its own.

Every successful team can pick out a few key signings.  Which is why Decker and Giacommini are nothing to spit at.  Those are good signings.  So was the trade for Chris Ivory.  But you don't just say "We have needs/wants at 8 positions.  We'll fill those with 6 or 7 free agents and call it a day" like the Browns or Raiders are doing.  They're trying to win with other people's players because they failed so miserably at drafting their own talent.

Look at the Seahawks starters and you tell me if it looks like the type of roster Idzik is looking to build:

[NOTE:  For our purposes, I am assuming Sidney Rice is headed elsewhere.  If he doesn't, he takes Lockette's spot on the depth chart]

QB:  Russell Wilson (3rd round pick)

RB:  Marshawn Lynch (trade:  2011 4th round pick, 2012 conditional pick)

WR:  Doug Baldwin (UDFA)

WR:  Percy Harvin (trade:  1st and 7th rounder)

WR:  Ricardo Lockette (UDFA)

TE:  Zach Miller (Signed 2011 to 5-year deal)

LT:  Russell Okung (Top 10 pick)

LG:  James Carpenter (1st rounder)

C:  Max Unger (2nd rounder)

RG:  JR Sweezy (7th rounder)

RT:  Michael Bowie (7th rounder)

LDE:  Michael Bennett (UDFA)

DT:  Brandon Mebane (3rd rounder)

DT:  Tony McDaniel (UDFA, bounced between Jaguars and Dolphins, signed in 2013)

RDE:  Cliff Avrill (Signed as RFA in 2011)

OLB:  Malcolm Smith (7th rounder)

MLB:  Bobby Wagner (2nd rounder)

OLB:  Bruce Irvin (1st rounder)

CB:  Richard Sherman (5th rounder)

CB:  Byron Maxwell (6th rounder)

FS:  Earl Thomas (1st rounder)

SS:  Kam Chancellor (5th rounder)

Of all Seattle's starters on offense, only 1, Zach Miller, was a free agent signing.  Much like the Jets traded a 4th rounder for Chris Ivory, the Seahawks did the same to get Marshawn Lynch.  Harvin was a pickup via trade as well, but his health has prevented him from making any impact on a team that won the Super Bowl largely without him.

Of their starters on defense, only one, Cliff Avrill, was a significant free agent signing.  McDaniel was a scrap-heap pickup that worked out.  The rest they found via the draft.

The Seahawks entire back 7 was found via the draft.  Their entire offensive line was drafted.  That's impressive stuff.  You cannot even come close to arguing that this Seattle roster depended on free agents.  They depend on the draft.  Period. 

If the Seahawks are the model we're looking to duplicate, Idzik is right on target so far.  He's accumulating talent via the draft, filling a few needs where he can via free agency.  And he's also, when the timing is right, making trades with those draft picks.  I imagine that he might make a deal or 2 with some of our 12 draft picks when the 2014 draft rolls around, too.

This is how you build a winner.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 18 March 2014 - 01:53 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#2 AVM

AVM

Anti Vick Militia President/Owner

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Details.

You forget the following:

Seattle got lucky with their draft picks.  A lot.

They have a coach that could coach a womens softball team (forget that he once coached here, and sucked)

Russell Wilson is gritty, Geno Smith is *****y

We had our Sherman, and our idiot GM/owner traded him away.

Seattle has like....a bajillion CB's.  We have Ras I-Dowling.

Seattle spent their FA money over the years (on Zach Miller, who wasn't an all-pro...but that was just unlucky).

Seattle has the 12th man.  Our fans don't care because ownership is so bad.

Eric Decker had Peyton Manning throwing to him, he is teh suck.  

We let all time greats like Austin Howard and Jerricho Cotchery walk away.

40+ years dude.  You haven't even been alive long enough to understand the pain.  Srs.

Did I forget anything? I'm sure I did.

Insert witty comment here

#3 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

whether they sign FA or not, this only works if they have the QB. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#4 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

They have a coach that could coach a womens softball team (forget that he once coached here, and sucked)

I need a translation on this. 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#5 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,733 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

I posted this in another thread.  However, because I'm awesome, I decided to make it into a thread on its own.

Every successful team can pick out a few key signings.  Which is why Decker and Giacommini are nothing to spit at.  Those are good signings.  So was the trade for Chris Ivory.  But you don't just say "We have needs/wants at 8 positions.  We'll fill those with 6 or 7 free agents and call it a day" like the Browns or Raiders are doing.  They're trying to win with other people's players because they failed so miserably at drafting their own talent.

Look at the Seahawks starters and you tell me if it looks like the type of roster Idzik is looking to build:

[NOTE:  For our purposes, I am assuming Sidney Rice is headed elsewhere.  If he doesn't, he takes Lockette's spot on the depth chart]

QB:  Russell Wilson (3rd round pick)

RB:  Marshawn Lynch (trade:  2011 4th round pick, 2012 conditional pick)

WR:  Doug Baldwin (UDFA)

WR:  Percy Harvin (trade:  1st and 7th rounder)

WR:  Ricardo Lockette (UDFA)

TE:  Zach Miller (Signed 2011 to 5-year deal)

LT:  Russell Okung (Top 10 pick)

LG:  James Carpenter (1st rounder)

C:  Max Unger (2nd rounder)

RG:  JR Sweezy (7th rounder)

RT:  Michael Bowie (7th rounder)

LDE:  Michael Bennett (UDFA)

DT:  Brandon Mebane (3rd rounder)

DT:  Tony McDaniel (UDFA, bounced between Jaguars and Dolphins, signed in 2013)

RDE:  Cliff Avrill (Signed as RFA in 2011)

OLB:  Malcolm Smith (7th rounder)

MLB:  Bobby Wagner (2nd rounder)

OLB:  Bruce Irvin (1st rounder)

CB:  Richard Sherman (5th rounder)

CB:  Byron Maxwell (6th rounder)

FS:  Earl Thomas (1st rounder)

SS:  Kam Chancellor (5th rounder)

Of all Seattle's starters on offense, only 1, Zach Miller, was a free agent signing.  Much like the Jets traded a 4th rounder for Chris Ivory, the Seahawks did the same to get Marshawn Lynch.  Harvin was a pickup via trade as well, but his health has prevented him from making any impact on a team that won the Super Bowl largely without him.

Of their starters on defense, only one, Cliff Avrill, was a significant free agent signing.  McDaniel was a scrap-heap pickup that worked out.  The rest they found via the draft.

The Seahawks entire back 7 was found via the draft.  Their entire offensive line was drafted.  That's impressive stuff.  You cannot even come close to arguing that this Seattle roster depended on free agents.  They depend on the draft.  Period. 

If the Seahawks are the model we're looking to duplicate, Idzik is right on target so far.  He's accumulating talent via the draft, filling a few needs where he can via free agency.  And he's also, when the timing is right, making trades with those draft picks.  I imagine that he might make a deal or 2 with some of our 12 draft picks when the 2014 draft rolls around, too.

OK, thats it, you are Banned for making too much sense ;)

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#6 AVM

AVM

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

I need a translation on this. 

If Pete Carroll were to replace Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch with softball players and coach against Rex, he'd win eleventy-billion to 1.  He's such a good human being, he'd give one of this extra points to Rex as a charitable donation.

#7 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

whether they sign FA or not, this only works if they have the QB. 

Boingo.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#8 AVM

AVM

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

80 + AVM = unstoppable

Between your knowledge of Seattles roster and my knowledge of how to google past Super Bowl champions, all the haters should tremble in fear.

#9 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

If Pete Carroll were to replace Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch with softball players and coach against Rex, he'd win eleventy-billion to 1.  He's such a good human being, he'd give one of this extra points to Rex as a charitable donation.

How did he do his first two seasons? Any guess as to what his record was?

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#10 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,764 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Stole this for the front page (and gave Jetsfan80 full credit).  Awesome.

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#11 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,733 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

it sucked while GM schneider patiently rebuilt team

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#12 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Pete Carroll can suck a bag of dicks.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#13 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,857 posts

I love how, every season, the way to "build a winner" changes based on who won the Superbowl. Denver plays up to the level that they are capable of in the Superbowl, and we're looking at a very different discussion. But the Broncos had a bad game, therefore, Seattle knows the only way to build a roster.

By the way, when was John Idzik the GM of the Seahawks? I couldn't find that in his resume.

Edited by stoicsentry, 18 March 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#14 AVM

AVM

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Wait...you two don't actually think I'm serious, do you? :rl:

#15 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

When was John Idzik the GM of the Seahawks? I couldn't find that in his resume.

THE SEAHAWKS TRADITION.

#16 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Wait...you two don't actually think I'm serious, do you? :rl:

Dude, I can't even tell anymore.

#17 AVM

AVM

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

When was John Idzik the GM of the Seahawks? I couldn't find that in his resume.

When did teams win the Super Bowl by signing 3-4+ big FA's in an off-season.  I couldn't find that on Google.

#18 AVM

AVM

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Dude, I can't even tell anymore.

My apologies, lol.  I was merely regurgitating the sky-is-falling crowds lines.  My hope is since the second post has all of them, maybe the rest of the thread won't be cluttered with them.

#19 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,857 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

When did teams win the Super Bowl by signing 3-4+ big FA's in an off-season.  I couldn't find that on Google.

Good question, because only the Super Bowl winners count. Any team that was in the Super Bowl or came near it doesn't count, because they obv. had no chance at winning it.

#20 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,047 posts

Here's another one for you to Google: Teams that consistently stayed 30 million dollars under the salary cap and consistently won. 

#21 AVM

AVM

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Oh and because I never turn down the opportunity to agree with this notion:

Yes.  Yes he can.

#22 AVM

AVM

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Good question, because only the Super Bowl winners count. Any team that was in the Super Bowl or came near it doesn't count, because they obv. had no chance at winning it.

If the numbers were any where CLOSE to even being 50/50 on Super Bowl winners, you'd have a point.  2 out of the past 18 is pretty condemning evidence, sorry to break it to you.

And I've already discussed that the list of Super Bowl losers isn't much better for FA-heavy teams.

#23 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,857 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

If the numbers were any where CLOSE to even being 50/50 on Super Bowl winners, you'd have a point.  2 out of the past 18 is pretty condemning evidence, sorry to break it to you.

And I've already discussed that the list of Super Bowl losers isn't much better for FA-heavy teams.

Here's another one for you to Google: Teams that consistently stayed 30 million dollars under the salary cap and consistently won. 

There you go. Try that one. :)

#24 SpartanJet

SpartanJet

"Egg" Pennington Realist

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Denver can do it this year if Payton holds up, then this conversation will be different. 

The point is you either have a QB or you don't.  We don't the Broncos and Seahawks do.

#25 Jets Voice of Reason

Jets Voice of Reason

Are you listening?

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

I feel like there's a significant portion of Jets fans who think Idzik is just being incompetent, an idiot, or just doesn't want to spend money. What I see is a guy minimizing risks and sticking to a value investing approach. I have no problem with that. The last guy here was irresponsible with the checkbook and this is the first time in several years where we have a GM that is emotionally disciplined, which takes a hell of a lot more fortitude than someone who spends money cause they have it to burn.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt that he has a long-term plan mapped out, because I don't think he's an idiot. His dad was a football coach and he played football in college. He majored in math at Dartmouth and got a Masters at Duke. He worked at IBM 6 years and has been working in football since 1982 (including with Tampa when they won a super bowl and was part of a front office that built Seattle). All that doesn't mean he's necessarily a genius and a good GM, but again, I'm willing to grant him the fact that he probably was able to accomplish those things by avoiding being a blithering moron without a concept of a plan.

I'm also not saying that he's handled this FA period perfectly or even anything close to that. I think being too rigid and stubborn with a certain number can lose you a quality player or two and no GM is going to have a perfect track record because there is too much variability involved with building a football team. Idzik's valuations could vary well be wrong. But what I'm saying is that I feel pretty good about his general approach to FA because long-term that's a good way to build a football team. The downside is that this approach puts a lot of pressure on having successful drafts, so that's really what is going to define how successful we are going to be in the next few years.

The Jets are not an attractive FA destination, this particular FA market wasn't filled with young, talented, and healthy players that you could build a team around long term, and the cap was unexpectedly higher, leading to more competitiors in the market. I think avoiding the big mistake contract in a situation like this is a solid approach to take.

Remember that time a few months ago when I said I had blue balls, and you, well, you gave a brother a hand?

That would be it for me..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users