3 Reasons Why Jets Might Not Cut Sanchez After All

flgreen

In one way, it makes absolute sense. Geno isn't that good, Sanchez isn't that good, why not have them fight it out rather than just handing Geno the job? Plus, this way we don't have to see Vick in a Jets uniform. On the other hand, no. Please no.

What would happen if Sanchez was kept on and won the job? Would he have really "won" the job, or would people just blame Rex for starting his guy?

The Jets can roll over a maximum of 26m in cap in to next seasons cap. They are 28m under the cap at the moment. There is virtually no reason to cut Sanchez. They could try to rework his deal to get some money for they draft - but even that doesnt make much sense. The could rework someone like Harris as well. Still if they cut Sanchez it may be impossible to spend 14 million in the next few months.

One more point on rollong over the cap to the next year. This has been something that has not been talked about enough tbh. Every team needs to spend 80%. If you roll over that first year it becomes a domino effect. It allows you to always have that 20% available for when you need those extra players to get over the hump. This is kind of a brilliant strategy and Idzik seems to be the only one in America that has picked up on it.

The Jets can roll over a maximum of 26m in cap in to next seasons cap. They are 28m under the cap at the moment. There is virtually no reason to cut Sanchez. They could try to rework his deal to get some money for they draft - but even that doesnt make much sense. The could rework someone like Harris as well. Still if they cut Sanchez it may be impossible to spend 14 million in the next few months.

It makes no sense to pay Mark $13 million to compete for the starting QB job, it's just not a smart monetary decision. At the very least they'd ask him to restructure.  Yes, they are currently $28 million under the cap and cutting Mark would tack on an additional $8.3 million in saving, putting us in the vacinity of $36 million in cap-space. However, they're probably looking at a total of $8 million or so for the draft class and will probably still sign a veteran WR and a few other guys for depth, which will put them right around the maximum $26 million.  

Flynn was available last year for league min and they passed.

Hill is not a better alternative. Neither are Wallace or Kolb.

Sure they are.  All 3 would be willing to accept a back seat to Geno. Sanchez would not.  He still thinks he should have been the 2013 starter.

Mark Sanchez is currently due $11M in compensation this year, a $2M roster bonus and $9M salary. They can't keep him at that number. If they cut him, the cap savings is $8.3M. I think that's the number they look at if they're thinking about keeping him. They could theoretically simply cut Mark's salary down to $1M for this year, and keep the rest of his contract intact. Give him a chance to make it up in incentives. If he believes in himself, that's not a terrible deal. If he plays well, he'd probably get to earn the rest of his contract - which is over $25M for two years.

Even with an $8M pay cut, he'd still make $3M this year with the opportunity to make a lot more. I don't know if he's making much more than that as a free agent. Even if he is, he wouldn't have that 2 year/$25M coming in the following two years.

It's doable.

There is virtually no reason to cut Sanchez.

I just outlined that there are no good reasons to KEEP him.  As for reasons to cut him:

1.  Sanchez will be a distraction to Geno, the franchise, and the fans.  So much so that it is unjustifiable to even suggest he should be on the roster in 2014.  When he got hurt, he threw a hissy fit at Idzik.  You don't do that  to your boss then stick around.  We cut Greg McElroy for much less, and Tannenbaum isn't exactly the "no-nonsense" guy that Idzik is.  Idzik has no ties to Sanchez.  He has no loyalty to him.  He has no good reason to keep him.

2.  Sanchez thinks he's a starter in this league.  He's not, but he will not be a "good backup" to Geno for this reason.  Michael Vick turned down the Jets (thank God) because he was told its Geno's job to lose.  This will not be "QB competition" in 2014.  Geno already has it in the bag unless perhaps we draft a QB at 18.

3.  Sanchez sucks.

4.  Sanchez sucks.

5.  Sanchez sucks.

6.  Sanchez sucks.

14.  GFY.

I just outlined that there are no good reasons to KEEP him.  As for reasons to cut him:

1.  Sanchez will be a distraction to Geno, the franchise, and the fans.  So much so that it is unjustifiable to even suggest he should be on the roster in 2014.  When he got hurt, he threw a hissy fit at Idzik.  You don't do that  to your boss then stick around.  We cut Greg McElroy for much less, and Tannenbaum isn't exactly the "no-nonsense" guy that Idzik is.  Idzik has no ties to Sanchez.  He has no loyalty to him.  He has no good reason to keep him.

2.  Sanchez thinks he's a starter in this league.  He's not, but he will not be a "good backup" to Geno for this reason.  Michael Vick turned down the Jets (thank God) because he was told its Geno's job to lose.  This will not be "QB competition" in 2014.  Geno already has it in the bag unless perhaps we draft a QB at 18.

3.  Sanchez sucks.

4.  Sanchez sucks.

5.  Sanchez sucks.

6.  Sanchez sucks.

14.  GFY.

One the one hand, you're arguing that John Idzik is this super cool dude that doesn't give a crap about what the fans think as he slowly navigates thru free agency, but then you think he should take the fans into consideration when it comes to what to do with Sanchez? Yeah, ok.

I don't think so, though. I don't think he cares if Geno's distracted, either. And he shouldn't. If Geno can't handle a competition with Mark Sanchez, what can he handle?

You can try to put a list of free agent QBs that would be better here, but that's mostly fan emotion. The free agent QB market sucks. A lot of them continue to be free agents while teams wait for the Jets to release Mark Sanchez! That's how bad it is. Sanchez could very likely land a starting job somewhere else, but if he stays, there's really not a lot of evidence that he'd be a bad backup/teammate to Geno.

Ultimately I believe Idzik should -and will- make a decision at QB based on who he thinks is best for the job. It could be Sanchez at the right number.

I don't think so, though. I don't think he cares if Geno's distracted, either. And he shouldn't. If Geno can't handle a competition with Mark Sanchez, what can he handle?

It wouldn't be a competition if Sanchez comes back.  Idzik drafted Geno.  Geno is better than Sanchez. Geno is the starter.  Period.  There is literally no upside to Sanchez being back.  There's no upside for Sanchez coming back, either. 

Houston is rumored to be cutting Schaub and picking up Sanchez to replace him.  Let him go there.

It wouldn't be a competition if Sanchez comes back.  Idzik drafted Geno.  Geno is better than Sanchez. Geno is the starter.  Period.  There is literally no upside to Sanchez being back.  There's no upside for Sanchez coming back, either. 

Houston is rumored to be cutting Schaub and picking up Sanchez to replace him.  Let him go there.

I'm no fan of Sanchez, I just haven't heard any names I like better. Schaub isn't a free agent, and last I heard Oakland was trying to trade for him. Who else is out there? Fitzpatrick?

I'm no fan of Sanchez, I just haven't heard any names I like better. Schaub isn't a free agent, and last I heard Oakland was trying to trade for him. Who else is out there? Fitzpatrick?

Yeah, I like Fitzpatrick and Shaun Hill, and to a lesser extent Josh Freeman.  Hill is a nice option because he KNOWS he's a backup, and he's good in that role.  Fitzpatrick is probably smart enough to realize this as well but will cost more than Hill.

If Schaub gets cut he should become our top target.  Either way, that's 4 guys who are better options than Sanchez, and I think there's even more than that who would fit the bill for us. 

How would you guys feel if Sanchez wasn't cut next week, comes to training camp, and out plays all qbs on roster including Geno?

Do we still all want Sanchez gone?

Do we still keep faith in Geno regardless of Sanchez's play?

Or do you hop on the Sanchise train one more time? 

I say, stick w Geno bc Sanchez will suck ass sooner or later(again) and by that time Geno"s self esteem is broken.

Do you really believe that's going to happen? Let's say he does beat the other QBs. Do your honestly believe he'll last long as a starter, after losing a few 6-3 or 13-7 games?

I still think Sanchez stays, and actually think he is our best option as of now, commence the criticism!

Sanchez should have been the starter last and WOULD HAVE had Rex not been such a bonehead. I really LIKED Sanchez his first two years, but after that ugh...I think he needs a fresh start as most Jets fans already despise him and the criticism will vamp up as soon as he throws his first pick six. Sanchez realistically CANNOT stay a Jet.

They will not "lose" one dollar of that cap space.  They can use more at any time by advancing any player next year's money now.  They can do that even after the season's started.  Say a player is making $5M this year and he's scheduled to make $10M next year.  Restructure his deal so everything remains the same except he gets an additional $5M roster bonus in August and his base salary for 2015 drops from $10M to $5M.  That's just one way.

Sanchez needs to go.  He has no future here as a QB and no good future anywhere.  But here is the only place that concerns me.  He's terrible and will always be terrible (a random decent game or good half here & there notwithstanding).  Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story, and in Sanchez's case that's accurate.  He's actually worse than his awful stats.

And with all that, I'd cheer him on any day over Michael Vick. 

Trade him to Houston for Schaub if both are willing to restructure their deals.  

Check out Schaub's contract terms for 2014 (from Rotoworld):

2014: $10 million (+ $1 million in per-game roster bonuses)

Can that be right? No wonder they're not just keeping him around.  He's got more than twice as much coming to him as Sanchez does.

Do you really believe that's going to happen? Let's say he does beat the other QBs. Do your honestly believe he'll last long as a starter, after losing a few 6-3 or 13-7 games?

No, personally, I dont think that will happen....nor would I ever want Sanchez playing for us again....I am still pushing for Simms to be honest.

No, personally, I dont think that will happen....nor would I ever want Sanchez playing for us again....I am still pushing for Simms to be honest.

That makes me two of us. Sure.. he sucked in college.. all three of them. Sure.. he played against the toilet level guys in scrimmages... sure his dad is a turd... sure is brother was not good.. but still, I want to see what hes got. And no one say that our coaches are good at evaluating anything. 

Sanchez needs to go.  He has no future here as a QB and no good future anywhere.  But here is the only place that concerns me.  He's terrible and will always be terrible (a random decent game or good half here & there notwithstanding).  Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story, and in Sanchez's case that's accurate.  He's actually worse than his awful stats.

And with all that, I'd cheer him on any day over Michael Vick. 

Trade him to Houston for Schaub if both are willing to restructure their deals.  

Check out Schaub's contract terms for 2014 (from Rotoworld):

2014: $10 million (+ $1 million in per-game roster bonuses)

Can that be right? No wonder they're not just keeping him around.  He's got more than twice as much coming to him as Sanchez does.

This idea has been floating around the back of my mind, but it just seemed unlikely due to the difficulty in getting both players to agree.  If they could swing a deal like this, and get Joseph included, it would be impressive to say the least.

Archived