DeSean Jackson (MERGED)

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small like Holmes, same number as Holmes, big hype like Holmes, and a douche like Holmes. I am a glutton for punishment. I don't think it can happen twice to us. lol. Sign me up, Idzik.

As much as I wanna agree with u, Desean Jackson is a supercharged version of Holmes. He's had atleast 900 yards a season in every season except 2012 when he was injured. He's also had three 1k season, as opposed to one from Holmes.

As much as I wanna agree with u, Desean Jackson is a supercharged version of Holmes. He's had atleast 900 yards a season in every season except 2012 when he was injured. He's also had three 1k season, as opposed to one from Holmes.

I am with you. But Holmes was once considered pretty damn good. When we got him it was a pretty awesome moment.

I am with you. But Holmes was once considered pretty damn good. When we got him it was a pretty awesome moment.

I agree. He was coming off his best season. Maybe he peaked? Cuz he's been often injured here so having all that talent on the bench didn't help much and thats why no one is even contacting him yet. He'll find a place though and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats made a play for him. Their window of opportunity is this year and 'maybe' next yr.

His contract isn't guaranteed (if we don't redo his deal).  $10M/year is ok if he's productive and non-dirtbaggish.  If he acts up, he can get cut and the Jets don't take any dead cap hit.  Still lose the pick to get him in the first place, but you lose that by drafting busts anyway.  Also he has a few years remaining on his contract and then can be tagged if we can't reach an extension (or if the Jets don't trust him to go all-out after getting up-front bonus money).  But he got a big deal from the Eagles and didn't suddenly get worse after getting paid.

See what Philly actually wants (and what they get).

I gotta be honest, I just can't see Idzik ever doing anything like this. It doesn't fit his behavior at all thusfar. Maybe if it was a more cost-controlled guy, but really is he gonna be willing to give up draft picks AND that much cash for a guy like D Jax? Don't see it at all.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, the New York Jets are reportedly interested in acquiring the Eagles top wideout.

In addition to the Jets, the San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots are also believed to have interest in Jackson.

With Michael Vick also on the Jets radar, and Marty Mornhinweg as their offensive coordinator, it looks like the Jets are trying to recreate the old Eagles offense.

So what could they give the Eagles to make it happen?

In terms of draft picks, the Jets four picks in the first three rounds -- a first-round pick, a second-round pick, and two third-round picks. Considering the Eagles are reportedly asking for just a third-round pick, it looks like the Jets would have what it takes.

The Jets also have what a lot of other teams don't -- cap space. The Jets have $24 million in cap room, meaning they could take on Jackson's $10.5 million cap hit this season. Besides the Jets, there are only about five other teams in the entire league that could realistically take on that kind of cash.

That means the Jets have both the ammunition and the ability to trade for Jackson, making them one of the most realistic destinations for the wideout should he be moved.

If the Jets wanted to get the deal done quickly, they could offer the Eagles two third-round picks. That is twice what the Eagles have reportedly set the price tag at, and would probably top any other offer the Eagles will get -- including from the Jets rival, the Patriots.

As for players, there is one the Jets could offer that would get the deal done -- Quinton Coples.

Coples, an outside linebacker, had 23 quarterback hurries last season to go along with six sacks. A whooping 6-6, 285 pounds, Coples was the Jets first-round pick in 2012. He would be an ideal fit on the Eagles defense, filling a major hole for them at outside linebacker.

Prying Coples away from the Jets would be hard, but If the Jets were to offer Coples in exchange for Jackson, the Eagles would do it in a heartbeat -- even without a draft pick involved.

It is all speculation at this point, but if the Eagles do decide to move Jackson, it's hard to imagine a team could offer a better package than the Jets.

His contract isn't guaranteed (if we don't redo his deal).  $10M/year is ok if he's productive and non-dirtbaggish.  If he acts up, he can get cut and the Jets don't take any dead cap hit.  Still lose the pick to get him in the first place, but you lose that by drafting busts anyway.  Also he has a few years remaining on his contract and then can be tagged if we can't reach an extension (or if the Jets don't trust him to go all-out after getting up-front bonus money).  But he got a big deal from the Eagles and didn't suddenly get worse after getting paid.

See what Philly actually wants (and what they get).

I believe there is a $4M cap hit for 2015.

I believe there is a $4M cap hit for 2015.

Really? That would mean half of the final 3 years of Jackson's contract is guaranteed.  That basically only the final year, and $6M of the 2nd-last year, are not guaranteed.  That makes no sense.  There was only $15M guaranteed total in the whole contract.

Looking at rotoworld, it appears there's $750,000 of his 2014 salary that's guaranteed and nothing after that.  But I take for granted that if the Jets were to trade for Jackson this year that they wouldn't be cutting him before the season started.

The season with $4M of it guaranteed was the 2nd year of his contract, which was 2013 (last season).

Getting DeSean Jackson could redeem the offseason. Trading a 3rd for him, and maybe drafting a CB in round 1 would essentially cancel out our ineffectiveness to sign a CB in free agency while improving the offense. Adding Decker and Jackson is an improvement, and if we use the 2nd round pick or possibly trade back into the first to get someone who can be a legitimate #1 WR, I'd say the offseason was a huge success; you add 3 formidable WRs, draft a young promising CB, and then use the rest of your picks and cap space to fill in the rest of the holes. I won't be able to complain much.

Getting DeSean Jackson could redeem the offseason. Trading a 3rd for him, and maybe drafting a CB in round 1 would essentially cancel out our ineffectiveness to sign a CB in free agency while improving the offense. Adding Decker and Jackson is an improvement, and if we use the 2nd round pick or possibly trade back into the first to get someone who can be a legitimate #1 WR, I'd say the offseason was a huge success; you add 3 formidable WRs, draft a young promising CB, and then use the rest of your picks and cap space to fill in the rest of the holes. I won't be able to complain much.

Some of you guys have an unhealthy obsession with this whole "#1 WR" thing like this is fantasy football.  Jackson is a #1 WR and so is Decker.  There are other "#1" WRs in the league better than either one, but that doesn't mean neither is one because they aren't Megatron or Fitgerald types.

We don't even have Jackson on the team, but if we did our WR corps would be plenty stacked with Jackson, Decker, Kerley, Nelson, and Hill and/or a rookie.  There's only 1 football used.

If this was the WR group, given a choice between a TE and WR of equal prospect-level, I take the TE.  What good is it having 4 starter-worthy WRs and Cumberland? Are we doing to run nothing but minimum 4 WR sets?

The Holmes trade has soured me on the thought of trading for another WR with questionable locker room attitude.

That's fair.  But the Holmes trade was a great move.  I'd do that with our 5th round pick every single season if we could.  

The bad move was guaranteeing him over $20M a year later.

Some of you guys have an unhealthy obsession with this whole "#1 WR" thing like this is fantasy football.  Jackson is a #1 WR and so is Decker.  There are other "#1" WRs in the league better than either one, but that doesn't mean neither is one because they aren't Megatron or Fitgerald types.

We don't even have Jackson on the team, but if we did our WR corps would be plenty stacked with Jackson, Decker, Kerley, Nelson, and Hill and/or a rookie.  There's only 1 football used.

If this was the WR group, given a choice between a TE and WR of equal prospect-level, I take the TE.  What good is it having 4 starter-worthy WRs and Cumberland? Are we doing to run nothing but minimum 4 WR sets?

Trade for D Jax and then draft Ebron, ASJ, Amaro or CJ Fiedorowicz for TE, draft a RB in the 3rd-5th and draft a lineman at some point as well. Offense overhauled in a single off-season. 

Trade for D Jax and then draft Ebron, ASJ, Amaro or CJ Fiedorowicz for TE, draft a RB in the 3rd-5th and draft a lineman at some point as well. Offense overhauled in a single off-season. 

I think you're forgetting about the draft pick(s) required to get Jackson.  We don't get to trade them and then still use them.

Let's see what Philadelphia's really asking (or what the highest bid ends up being).  But I'd like the move.  Granted I really don't know all about his personal issues, which could make me change my mind, and is the inspiration for Philly dumping him in the first place.

But as long as he isn't Santonio - which as I mentioned earlier I'm not as worried about if we don't guarantee him over $20M - based on what I know right now I'd be just fine with us picking him up for a mid-rounder and taking on his $10M/year with zero guaranteed.

There's more than one way to skin a duck eh?

Is that even a saying?

I think you're forgetting about the draft pick(s) required to get Jackson.  We don't get to trade them and then still use them.

Let's see what Philadelphia's really asking (or what the highest bid ends up being).  But I'd like the move.  Granted I really don't know all about his personal issues, which could make me change my mind, and is the inspiration for Philly dumping him in the first place.

But as long as he isn't Santonio - which as I mentioned earlier I'm not as worried about if we don't guarantee him over $20M - based on what I know right now I'd be just fine with us picking him up for a mid-rounder and taking on his $10M/year with zero guaranteed.

In this scenario, I don't foresee DeSean Jackson getting more than a 3rd round pick at best. I mean, that's where Philly has allegedly started the discussion. I think before it's over, that probably becomes a 4th and a 6th or something like that.

So let's say it's a 4 and a 6. You only need 3 picks out of your remaining 8-10 to get the guys I talked about (TE, RB, OL). You can probably even go ahead and take a WR at some point still b/c there's a lot of depth.

I know what you mean about not having so many WRs on the field at a time, but if you look at last season and consider how many injuries we had at the position--it really doesn't hurt to be 5 deep at the position, with guys like Nelson, Hill and/or a rookie on the back end.

Archived