•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

I'm over it already

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 bergenjets

bergenjets

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

At first it bugged me, but then I thought about it for about 30 seconds: So a few outspoken fans will wring their hands and clench their fists over Vick's past. From the football perspective, the Jets have signed the best QB and WR FA's available. Thank you Mr. Idzik.

How would Jet fans have felt if Rex had taken Ray Lewis with him rather than Bart Scott?

Murder < dog killing?

#2 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,701 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

At first it bugged me, but then I thought about it for about 30 seconds: So a few outspoken fans will wring their hands and clench their fists over Vick's past. From the football perspective, the Jets have signed the best QB and WR FA's available. Thank you Mr. Idzik.

How would Jet fans have felt if Rex had taken Ray Lewis with him rather than Bart Scott?

Murder < dog killing?

Excellent point

Ray Lewis retired as a hero.  This guy, was at minimum, involved in the murder of a human being.  Never went to jail at all.

In all honesty, clearly the best situation for the Jets is for Smith to come out and win the job hands down.  I doubt that will happen, but if it happens, great.

If Vick retires in 3 years , the same way Lewis did,  I'll be happy 

#3 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Ray Lewis was a significantly better player.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#4 bergenjets

bergenjets

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Of course Lewis was better, but nobody is whining about Vick's ability, only his past. If people are upset because they should have signed a better QB, I'm not seeing it.

#5 eboozer

eboozer

2nd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationPa. by way of Hempstead

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

Murder < dog killing?

This guy gets it!

To be so young (only 21 posts) and to have already attained to meteoric heights of wisdom..... you have a bright future, my padawan.

"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is." >> Yoda

Pro Bowl Caliber talent... UDFA Performer

#6 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

You want a killer at linebacker. 

#7 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Michael Vick was not the best FA QB available and if he was, that's pathetic.

#8 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Of course Lewis was better, but nobody is whining about Vick's ability, only his past. If people are upset because they should have signed a better QB, I'm not seeing it.

I think a lot of people are more upset about how this reflects on the direction of the team. It doesn't appear as though they expect to compete for a title this year, so why bother bringing in a short-term scab like Vick?
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#9 eboozer

eboozer

2nd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationPa. by way of Hempstead

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

I think a lot of people are more upset about how this reflects on the direction of the team. It doesn't appear as though they expect to compete for a title this year, so why bother bringing in a short-term scab like Vick?

Now wait just one gosh-darn minute here!! We've got a Plan!! Idzik only does what serves the plan.... Mike Vick IS the plan. We're gettin' the Title... This Year!

Pro Bowl Caliber talent... UDFA Performer

#10 Better2bgreenthanblue

Better2bgreenthanblue

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Add Jax, Dennard at 18, Beckham in R2. Solid OLB, OT, project QB then it would seem a good offseason talent wise. Hopefully the hyped QB's go early so weapons like Beckham drop.

At the very least I never have to see Chez in green again. Probably end up in Buffalo on his way to Canada.

#11 bergenjets

bergenjets

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Michael Vick was not the best FA QB available and if he was, that's pathetic.

I'd say McCown, Cassel and Fitz would have been close, but all got longer and/or bigger deals. It was a pathetic group as it usually is with QB's.

1. Michael Vick
2. Josh McCown (Signed two-year, $10M deal with TB)

3. Matt Cassel (Re-signed two-year, $10M deal with MIN)
4. Josh Freeman
5. Shaun Hill

6. Ryan Fitzpatrick (Signed two-year, $7.5M deal with HOU)
7. Jason Campbell (Signed one-year deal with CIN)
8. Chad Henne (Re-signed two-year, $8M deal with JAX)
9. Tarvaris Jackson (Re-signed one-year, $1.25M deal with SEA)
10. Kevin Kolb 
11. Brandon Weeden (Signed two-year deal with DAL)
12. Colt McCoy
13. Matt Flynn
14. Kellen Clemens (Signed two-year, $3M deal with SD)
15. Luke McCown
16. Derek Anderson (Re-signed one-year deal with CAR)
17. David Garrard
18. Dan Orlovsky
19. Rex Grossman
20. Curtis Painter (Re-signed one-year, $795K deal with NYG)
21. Charlie Whitehurst (Signed two-year, $4M deal with TEN)

IMO, he's coming in to backup Geno for $3.5 million less than Sanchez was going to get to do the same thing. I see it was a sideways move with cost savings plus the added benefit of moving past the Sanchez era. Neither Vick nor Sanchez were/are going to be long-term solutions.

#12 77DRAFT

77DRAFT

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Vick showed his level last season, and it was not pretty. He got benched
for a much better player.

#13 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,849 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Great day to be a Jet fan.

#14 AirForceJetFan

AirForceJetFan

Veteran

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Vick hasn't been that good over the past few seasons, playing in some very QB friendly schemes.  Injury prone, slightly above avg QB isn't great, but I guess it's better than what we've had in a few years.

#15 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,499 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Vick has been injury prone and was never accurate passer-was not my choice to bring in for those reasons. Who thinks Marty had  alot to do with this? Dumb question right

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#16 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Vick has been considered the best QB in free agency, and we got him.  It's only icing on the cake that he knows Marty's entire playbook and has a positive working relationship with the young QB already on roster...who just happens to have a similar playing style.

If you want to see Geno make leaps and bounds this year, there is no better back-up.  Marty can now show Geno game tape of Vick running certain plays, WITH Vick in the same room talking about what was going on from his perspective, what HE was seeing, and how the play turned out.   

#17 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Vick sucks, he's passed his prime and can't run like he use to.

Decker helps fill a void but the team still needs a WR1, Decker is a 2 and they still need a real QB not RBs that tgrow the ball.

#18 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,282 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

He's a turnover prone QB on the downside of his career. His int% is better than a rookie Geno Smith, but he fumbles the ball almost twice as much. The Jets have a large investment in their left tackle, but will have Breno Giacomini protecting the blind side of a QB made out of glass. He's a career 56.2% passer (Geno was 55.8% as a rookie), who has no skills reading a defense or detecting a blitz that he can pass on to Geno. He's a guy who gets by exclusively on his ever-diminishing athletic ability.

And yeah, he's a dog-killing scumbag.

The free agent QB market was horrendous this year. Vick being a top prospect is indicative of that. John Idzik talks out one side of his mouth about building the Jets long term (his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker), then signs a 34 year old, broken down, never-was at the QB position? It makes no good sense.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#19 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

John Idzik talks out one side of his mouth about building the Jets long term (his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker), then signs a 34 year old, broken down, never-was at the QB position? It makes no good sense.

Should have signed that young, talented, promising FA QB to be our backup

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#20 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,819 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

rooting hard for geno smith. i really dont wanna see vick take even ONE snap for the jets

#21 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,499 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

In free agency there are never going to be great choices a QB- logical no team with capable player is going to let him go-best of a bad lot for you to choose from

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#22 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,282 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Should have signed that young, talented, promising FA QB to be our backup

Cute that you'd trim your edit of my post right after these two sentences to post that.

The free agent QB market was horrendous this year. Vick being a top prospect is indicative of that.

Appreciate that.

Anyway, Mark Sanchez (who I have no great love for) was probably the top FA at QB for the couple minutes both Sanchez and Vick were out of work. The Raiders had Vick as their third option behind Schaub and Sanchez, for example.

I hope this signing doesn't stop the Jets from drafting a QB this year.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#23 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,376 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Vick is being totally underestimated in this strategy. If we get 4-8 game out of Vick, or he just does nothing more than push Geno and fill in at times, it was a brilliant move. Vick is a big time qb who is going to bring the best out of this offense.

#24 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Cute that you'd trim your edit of my post right after these two sentences to post that.

Appreciate that.

Anyway, Mark Sanchez (who I have no great love for) was probably the top FA at QB for the couple minutes both Sanchez and Vick were out of work. The Raiders had Vick as their third option behind Schaub and Sanchez, for example.

I hope this signing doesn't stop the Jets from drafting a QB this year.

The only way to look at it, really, is that Idzik is looking at 2015 or 2016 as The Year to make his moves, and doesn't particularly care who's on the roster before then as long as they don't compromise the pay structure when he's planning to make those moves.

Edited by T0mShane, 22 March 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#25 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

He's a turnover prone QB on the downside of his career. His int% is better than a rookie Geno Smith, but he fumbles the ball almost twice as much. The Jets have a large investment in their left tackle, but will have Breno Giacomini protecting the blind side of a QB made out of glass. He's a career 56.2% passer (Geno was 55.8% as a rookie), who has no skills reading a defense or detecting a blitz that he can pass on to Geno. He's a guy who gets by exclusively on his ever-diminishing athletic ability.

And yeah, he's a dog-killing scumbag.

The free agent QB market was horrendous this year. Vick being a top prospect is indicative of that. John Idzik talks out one side of his mouth about building the Jets long term (his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker), then signs a 34 year old, broken down, never-was at the QB position? It makes no good sense.

C'mon man, you're clearly letting your hatred for the player cloud the actual football aspect of the move. The FO clearly views him as a backup and someone to push Geno, not as the heir to the starting QB job.  Early in FA they told him he'd have to compete and be Geno's backup if he loses, Vick soured on the deal and went looking elsewhere. However, he was met by a cold market and came back to the Jets' best offer. They gave him a one year deal: you'd think that if they envisioned him as the actual starter, they would have locked him up for at least two, like half the other backup QBs.  

If Geno wins, which is what the organization is clearly pulling for, how many better QBs were there to be our backup? Hell, how many backup QBs in the league are better than Vick? Bottom line, if he starts, it has more to do with Geno sh*tting the bed than anything else.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users