I'm over it already

bergenjets

At first it bugged me, but then I thought about it for about 30 seconds: So a few outspoken fans will wring their hands and clench their fists over Vick's past. From the football perspective, the Jets have signed the best QB and WR FA's available. Thank you Mr. Idzik.

How would Jet fans have felt if Rex had taken Ray Lewis with him rather than Bart Scott?

Murder < dog killing?

At first it bugged me, but then I thought about it for about 30 seconds: So a few outspoken fans will wring their hands and clench their fists over Vick's past. From the football perspective, the Jets have signed the best QB and WR FA's available. Thank you Mr. Idzik.

How would Jet fans have felt if Rex had taken Ray Lewis with him rather than Bart Scott?

Murder < dog killing?

Excellent point

Ray Lewis retired as a hero.  This guy, was at minimum, involved in the murder of a human being.  Never went to jail at all.

In all honesty, clearly the best situation for the Jets is for Smith to come out and win the job hands down.  I doubt that will happen, but if it happens, great.

If Vick retires in 3 years , the same way Lewis did,  I'll be happy 

Murder < dog killing?

This guy gets it!

To be so young (only 21 posts) and to have already attained to meteoric heights of wisdom..... you have a bright future, my padawan.

"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is." >> Yoda

Of course Lewis was better, but nobody is whining about Vick's ability, only his past. If people are upset because they should have signed a better QB, I'm not seeing it.

I think a lot of people are more upset about how this reflects on the direction of the team. It doesn't appear as though they expect to compete for a title this year, so why bother bringing in a short-term scab like Vick?

I think a lot of people are more upset about how this reflects on the direction of the team. It doesn't appear as though they expect to compete for a title this year, so why bother bringing in a short-term scab like Vick?

Now wait just one gosh-darn minute here!! We've got a Plan!! Idzik only does what serves the plan.... Mike Vick IS the plan. We're gettin' the Title... This Year!

Michael Vick was not the best FA QB available and if he was, that's pathetic.

I'd say McCown, Cassel and Fitz would have been close, but all got longer and/or bigger deals. It was a pathetic group as it usually is with QB's.

1. Michael Vick

2. Josh McCown (Signed two-year, $10M deal with TB)

3. Matt Cassel (Re-signed two-year, $10M deal with MIN)

4. Josh Freeman

5. Shaun Hill

6. Ryan Fitzpatrick (Signed two-year, $7.5M deal with HOU)

7. Jason Campbell (Signed one-year deal with CIN)

8. Chad Henne (Re-signed two-year, $8M deal with JAX)

9. Tarvaris Jackson (Re-signed one-year, $1.25M deal with SEA)

10. Kevin Kolb 

11. Brandon Weeden (Signed two-year deal with DAL)

12. Colt McCoy

13. Matt Flynn

14. Kellen Clemens (Signed two-year, $3M deal with SD)

15. Luke McCown

16. Derek Anderson (Re-signed one-year deal with CAR)

17. David Garrard

18. Dan Orlovsky

19. Rex Grossman

20. Curtis Painter (Re-signed one-year, $795K deal with NYG)

21. Charlie Whitehurst (Signed two-year, $4M deal with TEN)

IMO, he's coming in to backup Geno for $3.5 million less than Sanchez was going to get to do the same thing. I see it was a sideways move with cost savings plus the added benefit of moving past the Sanchez era. Neither Vick nor Sanchez were/are going to be long-term solutions.

Vick hasn't been that good over the past few seasons, playing in some very QB friendly schemes.  Injury prone, slightly above avg QB isn't great, but I guess it's better than what we've had in a few years.

Vick has been considered the best QB in free agency, and we got him.  It's only icing on the cake that he knows Marty's entire playbook and has a positive working relationship with the young QB already on roster...who just happens to have a similar playing style.

If you want to see Geno make leaps and bounds this year, there is no better back-up.  Marty can now show Geno game tape of Vick running certain plays, WITH Vick in the same room talking about what was going on from his perspective, what HE was seeing, and how the play turned out.   

Of course Lewis was better, but nobody is whining about Vick's ability, only his past. If people are upset because they should have signed a better QB, I'm not seeing it.

He's a turnover prone QB on the downside of his career. His int% is better than a rookie Geno Smith, but he fumbles the ball almost twice as much. The Jets have a large investment in their left tackle, but will have Breno Giacomini protecting the blind side of a QB made out of glass. He's a career 56.2% passer (Geno was 55.8% as a rookie), who has no skills reading a defense or detecting a blitz that he can pass on to Geno. He's a guy who gets by exclusively on his ever-diminishing athletic ability.

And yeah, he's a dog-killing scumbag.

The free agent QB market was horrendous this year. Vick being a top prospect is indicative of that. John Idzik talks out one side of his mouth about building the Jets long term (his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker), then signs a 34 year old, broken down, never-was at the QB position? It makes no good sense.

John Idzik talks out one side of his mouth about building the Jets long term (his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker), then signs a 34 year old, broken down, never-was at the QB position? It makes no good sense.

Should have signed that young, talented, promising FA QB to be our backup

Should have signed that young, talented, promising FA QB to be our backup

Cute that you'd trim your edit of my post right after these two sentences to post that.

The free agent QB market was horrendous this year. Vick being a top prospect is indicative of that.

Appreciate that.

Anyway, Mark Sanchez (who I have no great love for) was probably the top FA at QB for the couple minutes both Sanchez and Vick were out of work. The Raiders had Vick as their third option behind Schaub and Sanchez, for example.

I hope this signing doesn't stop the Jets from drafting a QB this year.

Vick is being totally underestimated in this strategy. If we get 4-8 game out of Vick, or he just does nothing more than push Geno and fill in at times, it was a brilliant move. Vick is a big time qb who is going to bring the best out of this offense.

Cute that you'd trim your edit of my post right after these two sentences to post that.

Appreciate that.

Anyway, Mark Sanchez (who I have no great love for) was probably the top FA at QB for the couple minutes both Sanchez and Vick were out of work. The Raiders had Vick as their third option behind Schaub and Sanchez, for example.

The only way to look at it, really, is that Idzik is looking at 2015 or 2016 as The Year to make his moves, and doesn't particularly care who's on the roster before then as long as they don't compromise the pay structure when he's planning to make those moves.

He's a turnover prone QB on the downside of his career. His int% is better than a rookie Geno Smith, but he fumbles the ball almost twice as much. The Jets have a large investment in their left tackle, but will have Breno Giacomini protecting the blind side of a QB made out of glass. He's a career 56.2% passer (Geno was 55.8% as a rookie), who has no skills reading a defense or detecting a blitz that he can pass on to Geno. He's a guy who gets by exclusively on his ever-diminishing athletic ability.

And yeah, he's a dog-killing scumbag.

The free agent QB market was horrendous this year. Vick being a top prospect is indicative of that. John Idzik talks out one side of his mouth about building the Jets long term (his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker), then signs a 34 year old, broken down, never-was at the QB position? It makes no good sense.

C'mon man, you're clearly letting your hatred for the player cloud the actual football aspect of the move. The FO clearly views him as a backup and someone to push Geno, not as the heir to the starting QB job.  Early in FA they told him he'd have to compete and be Geno's backup if he loses, Vick soured on the deal and went looking elsewhere. However, he was met by a cold market and came back to the Jets' best offer. They gave him a one year deal: you'd think that if they envisioned him as the actual starter, they would have locked him up for at least two, like half the other backup QBs.  

If Geno wins, which is what the organization is clearly pulling for, how many better QBs were there to be our backup? Hell, how many backup QBs in the league are better than Vick? Bottom line, if he starts, it has more to do with Geno sh*tting the bed than anything else.  

The only way to look at it, really, is that Idzik is looking at 2015 or 2016 as The Year to make his moves, and doesn't particularly care who's on the roster before then as long as they don't compromise the pay structure when he's planning to make those moves.

That's a dumb plan. This was certainly a year to make some moves for the long term success of the team, given all the cash at his disposal. Why wait another year or two?

Meh. Lots of trade talk now. I guess we'll see how that plays out.

Appreciate that.

Ok, let's put it back:

So your point is that the FA QB market was terrible, but Idzik is a liar because he signed a terrible FA QB?

While we're at it, do you have a link for this--

his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker

--?

Agreed.

That's a dumb plan. This was certainly a year to make some moves for the long term success of the team, given all the cash at his disposal. Why wait another year or two?

Meh. Lots of trade talk now. I guess we'll see how that plays out.

They went for Davis aggressively and whiffed. But outside of that, who did you want them to take this year that would've helped significantly long term? Just curious.

C'mon man, you're clearly letting your hatred for the player cloud the actual football aspect of the move. The FO clearly views him as a backup and someone to push Geno, not as the heir to the starting QB job.  Early in FA they told him he'd have to compete and be Geno's backup if he loses, Vick soured on the deal and went looking elsewhere. However, he was met by a cold market and came back to the Jets' best offer. They gave him a one year deal: you'd think that if they envisioned him as the actual starter, they would have locked him up for at least two, like half the other backup QBs.  

If Geno wins, which is what the organization is clearly pulling for, how many better QBs were there to be our backup? Hell, how many backup QBs in the league are better than Vick? Bottom line, if he starts, it has more to do with Geno sh*tting the bed than anything else.

I don't like Vick, but I don't like him as a football player even more. He's not good, and useless as a mentor.

I don't like Vick, but I don't like him as a football player even more. He's not good, and useless as a mentor.

I've been against the signing for a while, as I too don't think he's a capable football player, but that's from a starting standpoint. How many backup QBs do you actually think are good football players?  There was simply nobody on the market that knows the system and can just come in and operate like he can.

I also think you're under-selling the value of him knowing the system the way he does. He can help Geno break down film, break down defenses and understand the nuances of the system that he's been in four 4 times as long. These are all things Foles said Vick helped him with last year and that's with an entirely new system to both of them.  I despise the guy as much as you, but I think some of you may be letting your hatred for him skew your judgement of the qualifications for being a backup QB.

So your point is that the FA QB market was terrible, but Idzik is a liar because he signed a terrible FA QB?

While we're at it, do you have a link for this-- --?

Uh, the press conference the team held to assure their fan base that they hadn't missed out on any opportunities to improve the team?

I didn't call Idzik a liar, that's your word, but the Vick signing does not fit with his alleged vision and strategy in free agency.

They went for Davis aggressively and whiffed. But outside of that, who did you want them to take this year that would've helped significantly long term? Just curious.

Captain Munnerlyn would've been a solid add, and they were rumored to be interested. DRC would've been nice. To a lesser extent, Thurmond or Browner. Rex runs a defense that's heavily reliant on the CB position, would've been nice to add a starting caliber player at the position before the draft.

I'm not whining and crying, and I'm going to wait and see how the rest of free agency and the potential trade market play out, but if they had signed one of those CBs, I'd be happier today. Right now, I feel as if they're in a position where they need to draft a CB high. I'd prefer they not be in that position come draft day.

Archived